Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

I've never watched a single episode of Doctor Who, the ridiculous fandom that surrounds it has managed to discourage me pretty well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

CelticPredator posted:

Check the ghost thread.
Oh, you!

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Raserys posted:

I've never watched a single episode of Doctor Who, the ridiculous fandom that surrounds it has managed to discourage me pretty well.

A lot of the old episodes I watched as a kid really drew me in because of just how cheesy the effects were. The fandom that is visible on the internet mostly just watches the new ones that started airing in 2005. The few new ones I've seen are pretty entertaining I guess, but there was just something magical about those old effects that loses it for me.

and then some content.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

SeXReX posted:

A lot of the old episodes I watched as a kid really drew me in because of just how cheesy the effects were. The fandom that is visible on the internet mostly just watches the new ones that started airing in 2005. The few new ones I've seen are pretty entertaining I guess, but there was just something magical about those old effects that loses it for me.

and then some content.

The cast of Dragonball Z as Disney's Aladdin? As in, all of them are Aladdin?

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Comrade Question
Mar 30, 2011

"I'd say it's nothing personal, but corporations are people, too."

SeXReX posted:

and then some content.

I knew I saved these for a reason:

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Raserys posted:

I've watched plenty of Doctor Who and what the gently caress happened to his hair? It's like he got caught in a wind tunnel!

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Ariong posted:

I've watched plenty of Doctor Who and what the gently caress happened to his hair? It's like he got caught in a wind tunnel!

Something I kinda get yet kinda don't is why, in all the Doctor Who fanart I've seen, they always draw the Doctor as one of the specific actors who's played him. Part of his schtick is that he changes his appearance on a pretty regular basis, so as an artist, you can pretty much go hog wild with creating your own unique take on the character.

Now, I get that specifically drawing the Tenth Doctor makes sense for a gag piece like this, since you want the character to be immediately recognizable, but it seems like they always always always draw him as one of the specific actors, almost to the point of caricature.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

Comrade Question posted:

Once again, you should've posted these in the awesome Fanart thread. Now in remembering how much of a badass Tao-Pie-Pie was when I first watched Dragonball. Oh the memories…

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Time Lords are meant to have a limited number of regenerations they can go through, and so a limited number of faces.

Besides, a lot of the fans are just wanking themselves into a frenzy over the doctor with [x]'s face. It could be the lead from some other teenage drama thing, it's just this guy instead.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

goatface posted:

Time Lords are meant to have a limited number of regenerations they can go through, and so a limited number of faces.

Besides, a lot of the fans are just wanking themselves into a frenzy over the doctor with [x]'s face. It could be the lead from some other teenage drama thing, it's just this guy instead.

Day of the Doctor retconned a new regeneration into existence. The Doctor is centuries old and has access to time travel, I cannot imagine an easier character to bullshit the rules of.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Hence the second part. It's not fanwank about the character, it's fanwank about David Tennant as the character.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

I'm going to start us off with some cute-weird...

...in hopes that they help brace you for these:

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I also wonder why fan art for a television show seeks to look like the television show.

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

Lack of electricity... is my destiny...

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

It looks like they are happily running over a giant Nelson Mandela, which seems like a joke Family Guy might make so... yup.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Haymaker_Betty posted:

It looks like they are happily running over a giant Nelson Mandela, which seems like a joke Family Guy might make so... yup.

No, no, they're crashing into him. Mandela caused the explosion.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

A Mass Effect character and the tenth doctor quote a TF2 short while a Fallout: Equestria character tries to be cool.

Yes, I think you found the single most obnoxious peice of fanart ever.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Stick the guy who played Luigi on the Super Mario Bros Super Show in there too.

gently caress Luigi and his stupid loving year. It's so terrible it even killed Luigi.

Aphtonites
Dec 25, 2012

Sure, Jailbot was broken, but
weren't we all at some point? :(

There surprisingly isn't a lot of these around.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!
"What subject can I use to show the appropriate reverence and impart gravitas to this image honoring the life and death of this important figure?" -thought those artists never had.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
Please tell me there's at least one piece of District 9 Mandela tribute fan art. There has to be.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Infamous Sphere posted:

Please tell me there's at least one piece of District 9 Mandela tribute fan art. There has to be.

I thought District 9 was already a Mandela tribute fan art? I haven't watched it, is me watching it in my underwear today performance fanart?

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Aphtonites posted:

The only thing I'm surprised about is you haven't linked to a Mandela pony.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

sweeperbravo posted:

Well that's just a given.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

sweeperbravo posted:

That might be on account of having a sense of decency

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Lobe posted:

That might be on account of having a sense of decency

Decency what's that? (though I honestly have not found any Nelson Mandela pony)

Tampa Bay Barbie
Oct 30, 2011

Should have been a Swoobat.

Edit: ^^^Ofcouse it's the mlp version of an african american that is mourning Mandela. :rolleyes:

Tampa Bay Barbie has a new favorite as of 22:57 on Dec 6, 2013

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Help Me Out Hammy posted:

Should have been a Swoobat.

Edit: ^^^Ofcouse it's the mlp version of an african american that is mourning Mandela. :rolleyes:

Interesting note: They actually wanted someone who spoke Swahili to voice her, but couldn't find someone, so they just went with fake african language sounds.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

My favorite part about her was that her debut episode was all about how you shouldn't judge others just because they're different, and I don't know how many edgy ponyfics I've seen that have zebra racism or even race WARS.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Aphtonites posted:

Most of DA probably won't learn who he was until grade 9 social studies class.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Jesus Christ, you guys know way too much about Brony poo poo.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Turtlicious posted:

Some of us are lady goons who have been collecting the dang things since we were little and just want our franchise back from the creeps so we can enjoy it with our daughters. :colbert:

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Mycroft Holmes posted:

Interesting note: They actually wanted someone who spoke Swahili to voice her, but couldn't find someone, so they just went with fake african language sounds.

They didn't have the time or budget, not that they couldn't find someone. But enough talk, have weird fanart:

Tampa Bay Barbie
Oct 30, 2011

cobalt impurity posted:

They didn't have the time or budget, not that they couldn't find someone. But enough talk, have weird fanart:

Fanart? I thought this happened in the game. What game was I playing?!

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

I'm sure there's at least one GBS thread that needs to see this.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Comrade Question posted:

This actually looks really, really good. Where did you find it?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Turtlicious posted:

Whenever I see my niece she wants to show her uncle all her pony dolls and talk about her favorite characters. I live in fear of her discovering the sort of things posted regularly in this thread :(

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?

DStecks posted:

The cast of Dragonball Z as Disney's Aladdin? As in, all of them are Aladdin?

Except for Bulma; she's Ariel.

• Locked thread