Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I can't believe there are two more videos of this.

They're going with the classic Sonic Adventure/Sonic Adventure 2 model of video numbering this time around. There are actually eight videos of Mario Teaches Typing left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
You should have been playing this in the spooky barn. It seems to be trying your sanity far more than Silent Hill.

Arsonist Daria fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Nov 30, 2013

Dylan McKay
Oct 20, 2011

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation. I refuse to see Black Panther because they didn't ask the Black Ranger to be in it.
Mario Teaches Typing Buckle Up Fucker

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Well Keith? Mario Teaches Typing or that Music Plant level from Sonic Advance 2? Which one is your personal hell?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Watching other videos of this on youtube and I am sitting here going "wait, did the Mac people just have access to better technology or something?" because the music, sound effects AND the voice all sounded better. It's hard to really describe because I couldn't find any other videos on youtube that used the version I grew up with but I swear that I am not misremembering due to nostalgia or anything, I really do remember Mario Teaches Typing looking and sounding a lot better than what I am seeing.

I would record myself but that Mac I played on died a long time ago and the only way I could record with it would be with a camera regardless so really I am just rambling :smith:

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Aces High posted:

Watching other videos of this on youtube and I am sitting here going "wait, did the Mac people just have access to better technology or something?" because the music, sound effects AND the voice all sounded better. It's hard to really describe because I couldn't find any other videos on youtube that used the version I grew up with but I swear that I am not misremembering due to nostalgia or anything, I really do remember Mario Teaches Typing looking and sounding a lot better than what I am seeing.

You must have missed the legions of comments in the thread about how they picked PC Speaker instead of a Soundblaster - it would be like trying to play the full music and all the sound effects at the same time on a single-string guitar with only one finger to pluck the string and one to fret the notes. (I clarify because I've heard people do some amazing things with strings that shouldn't be physically possible, and I can just imagine someone double-fretting a string to play three notes at a time somehow. The PC speaker could barely play one note at a time on a good day.)

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
So did Keith just guess that Sound Blaster was the best of those options, or...? I have no idea about ancient hardware, how do some of those devices measure up?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Nidoking posted:

You must have missed the legions of comments in the thread about how they picked PC Speaker instead of a Soundblaster - it would be like trying to play the full music and all the sound effects at the same time on a single-string guitar with only one finger to pluck the string and one to fret the notes. (I clarify because I've heard people do some amazing things with strings that shouldn't be physically possible, and I can just imagine someone double-fretting a string to play three notes at a time somehow. The PC speaker could barely play one note at a time on a good day.)

Oh no I didn't miss those, what I am saying is that the DOS version just doesn't sounds as polished (when the settings are correct) as the version I played growing up on a Macintosh. This wouldn't be the first time that I have come across other games that look and sound different between a PC and a Macintosh version, I discovered the same thing with the original Prince of Persia

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008
When the game started demanding you type random strings of four symbols like "#%$@" alongside question words like "Why?" I think it was trying to tell you that you are doing a bad thing by continuing to play this game. If a children's typing game cusses you out and asks you why you're doing this it might be time to quit.

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

Laocius posted:

There's no such thing as a derail in a Run Button thread.

Zeikier posted:

Jack Gladney posted:

Brevity and directness are pretty pro guidelines when writing. Most of the things you're taught as rules for English are suggestions for clarity. Keith could probably set us straight wrt Strunk and White if he's still pursuing a writing career.

Which definitely made Strunk's instructions for keeping things that way a quick yet informative read. Then you got to White's sections where he contradicts the whole "brevity and directness" thing. Technical writing and creative writing do not mix.

As for typing games, I only had a typing course when I got to high school. Only barely learned about homerow typing before then, and I never liked how restricting it was. Freestyle becomes muscle memory eventually, so good riddance.
I think the holy grail of writing/grammar is where standard written English meets common usage and practicality. If something is 'correct' but impractical, screw it. If something is 'incorrect' but both immediately coherent and practical, it gets worked into common usage. By importance:
1) Immediate coherency
2) Practicality
3) Correctness
4) Personal preference

So basically, keep putting 2 spaces if you want but I think it's dumb and once space is enough. It doesn't change the meaning, its easier, its generally and officially accepted and I like it more.

Seshoho Cian posted:

gently caress all of this one/two spaces after a period discussion, the concept of having a comma after a question mark is what we need to discuss. What even is that?, who would think of such a thing?, and why?
IVE NEVER SEEN THIS BEFORE BUT YO I KIND OF LIKE IT

Grapplejack posted:

Well Keith? Mario Teaches Typing or that Music Plant level from Sonic Advance 2? Which one is your personal hell?
Ummm, probably sonic still, because this game isn't called Mario Teaches Music

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
At least with Mario Teaches Typing you rarely hear the music due to the various bleeps and bloops. Sonic Advance 2 has those awful cymbal springs AND terrible music.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Just played through this and yeah, you all should check it out, it's pretty great. And not too long either, just half an hour or so. Much better than this symbol and number crap that Mario Teaches Typing throws at you.

http://www.holywowstudios.com/teachestyping/

Ha ha, this thing is great.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Patter Song posted:

So did Keith just guess that Sound Blaster was the best of those options, or...? I have no idea about ancient hardware, how do some of those devices measure up?

Nidoking explains it much better than I can:

Nidoking posted:

TK-31 posted:

Guys I don't think I can take another hour of this. Watching you suffer is fun and all but my ears are suffering too.
They're clearly punishing us for our acts of transgression against them. :colbert:

Somethingdumb posted:

Ummm, probably sonic still, because this game isn't called Mario Teaches Music
Scuse me, Mario Paint would like a word with you.

(Seriously hope that you guys play that soon and get to gently caress around with the best part of that application game :allears: )

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

FinalGamer posted:

Nidoking explains it much better than I can:

They're clearly punishing us for our acts of transgression against them. :colbert:

Scuse me, Mario Paint would like a word with you.

(Seriously hope that you guys play that soon and get to gently caress around with the best part of that application game :allears: )

didn't they say they recorded and lost mario paint? that sort of thing is usually followed by a mourning period which the creative juices recharge.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

didn't they say they recorded and lost mario paint? that sort of thing is usually followed by a mourning period which the creative juices recharge.
Awwww poo poo yer right :( all that beautiful artwork lost, now we'll never know Kyle and Keith's true inner beauty with the power of MSNESPaint.

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

Attitude Indicator posted:

I wish I was actually good at typing so I could enjoy it. As it is I managed to gently caress up on the fourth level and I can only see more failure in my future.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

Attitude Indicator posted:

If you liked Icarus Proudbottom Teaches Typing, you should really check out some of the other SA Gamdev games- it wasn't the only good one.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Seshoho Cian posted:

gently caress all of this one/two spaces after a period discussion, the concept of having a comma after a question mark is what we need to discuss. What even is that?, who would think of such a thing?, and why?

A COMMA? The gently caress? I know Tolkien has a few instances of uncapitalised letters following question marks, which is definitely understandable and acceptable from an era in which "O" was a word, but a loving COMMA?

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

Somethingdumb posted:

IVE NEVER SEEN THIS BEFORE BUT YO I KIND OF LIKE IT

Dabir posted:

A COMMA? The gently caress? I know Tolkien has a few instances of uncapitalised letters following question marks, which is definitely understandable and acceptable from an era in which "O" was a word, but a loving COMMA?

Here's what I was referring to, just so we're all on the same page here.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

It seems to put a comma after everything it sees as a 'word' That is, anything containing letters.

Blenheim
Sep 22, 2010

Blenheim posted:

Man, this game does sound different on other sound settings. We missed out on Interplay's answer to Charles Martinet going "On your mark; get set; GO!" (It's in the first minute of the video; later on, watch out for BIG SPOILERS for later levels.)

I'm not sure if this is what everyone is talking about with how the game sounded on SoundBlaster/Mac/etc., but it certainly sounds better. (Okay, the sound of the blocks breaking is still obnoxious.)

you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)

Blenheim posted:

Man, this game does sound different on other sound settings. We missed out on Interplay's answer to Charles Martinet going "On your mark; get set; GO!" (It's in the first minute of the video; later on, watch out for BIG SPOILERS for later levels.)

I had this game as a kid, but we had the sound settings screwed up somehow, because the voice clip at the beginning came out as a high-pitched WELCOMETOMARIOTEACHESTYPING!!! that scared the crap out of me. Also, I must've thought this game was basically the same thing as Super Mario World and that being so close to a koopa was about to get me killed, because I found the game itself too stressful to play much. Good thing I never made it to the symbols section!

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Oh god why did you guys play this for so long?

I am genuinely curious what possessed you.

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009

Monkey Fracas posted:

After "Nope"'ing out of the second video when I heard that the PC speaker gobbledygook continued into it, I have to say: Intoxication of some form. PC Speaker sound this bad should never have been in the game, I have no idea why they bothered with it. Also, am I the only one who hears notes from the Monty Python Lumberjack song in, at least the "Teaches Typing" version of the SMW theme?

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

Monkey Fracas posted:

Kyle wouldnt let us stop out of some bizarre and infuriating need to "see the ending", as if there was even a beginning or middle.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Well i mean all these games are obviously canon so if you don't know how this one ends you'd be totally lost with the story continuing in the next!

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Somethingdumb posted:

Kyle wouldnt let us stop out of some bizarre and infuriating need to "see the ending", as if there was even a beginning or middle.
WILL WE EVER SEE THE UNDERGROUND

WILL WE EVER LEARN ABOUT MAVIS BEACON AND HER DARK PAST

WHEN WILL ANYONE GIVE A gently caress ABOUT COMMAS

TUNE IN NEXT CRIME

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Well i mean all these games are obviously canon so if you don't know how this one ends you'd be totally lost with the story continuing in the next!

It's a little known fact that Mario Teaches Typing is actually a prequel to Hotel Mario.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Yeah man and since they skipped over Kart Fighter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2JCx6P3mw8
there's no way they'll understand the sprawling Smash Brothers mythos.

19LettersLong
May 8, 2011

...let's just put this away.

Mario Teaches Typing (1991)
Part 3/3 (LP pt.40) [Youtube]

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
No Bowser fight or anything, even. Pretty friggin lame. Also why was Mario swimming in lava?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
The 'pause not pausing' thing probably comes from the game using the system clock to determine how much time has passed, and having no protection for large time changes between two frames.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Man, this has gotta be the most depressing set of videos I've ever seen you guys release. God at least it's over.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

ChairMaster posted:

No Bowser fight or anything, even. Pretty friggin lame. Also why was Mario swimming in lava?

Quicksand, not lava. Not that it answers the question, since I'm not sure it even has an answer, but at least phrasing it properly. And yes, he'll drown if you make too many mistakes or take too long to get through the sentences.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Mario is drowning in urine while you try to learn about the JFK assassination and revisionist southern historiography.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Can I just say that is the most terrifying Mario cosplay picture I've ever seen?

It's like Michael Myers decided to go for the Mario mask instead of William Shatner. Look at all those photographs. Look at that loving pumpkin.

All those people are dead because of this game, and its crying shrieks of the banshees beyond do nothing but bring sorrow upon both the living and the dead.

Also, happy Pearl Harbour Rememberance Day everyone. Very interesting way to observe the day guys, did not expect that.

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Dec 7, 2013

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
Mario Teaches Whitewashed Public School History (1991)
Part 3/3 (LP pt.40) [Youtube]

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008
Wasn't there a Mario Teaches Typing 2 at some point? Please don't do a full playthrough of that one.

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.
Well that was a grueling loving experience. Why did you record that. Why did I watch that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

gardenald posted:

Why did you record that. Why did I watch that.
For you to watch. Because they recorded it.

• Locked thread