Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

Greyish Orange posted:

Well I have my Camera now and five rolls of 120 film, lets see what it can do in Berlin next week.

Berlin is super cheap for everything if you need to buy more - I'm not sure where you're from, but film runs quite a bit more in Europe than the USA, still the price gap is about $8 compared to the $15-20 it'd be elsewhere for a 5-pack of most things.

Oh and uh, I hope you're prepared for snow. And not wishing to see the Bismarck memorial too closely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!
Now, you're traveling with your 4x5 camera. You don't have/want to carry many film holders, so you plan on using a few, shooting and reloading. Where and how would you keep the exposed film until you can get back home for developing?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Primo Itch posted:

Now, you're traveling with your 4x5 camera. You don't have/want to carry many film holders, so you plan on using a few, shooting and reloading. Where and how would you keep the exposed film until you can get back home for developing?

I keep exposed 4x5 in a film box. Just tape up the bottom to ensure no light leaks.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

None of y'all ever heard of any way to get a digital back onto a Pentax 6x7, right? I got a backup body now and I was wondering if maybe I should try to get one on there.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

None of y'all ever heard of any way to get a digital back onto a Pentax 6x7, right? I got a backup body now and I was wondering if maybe I should try to get one on there.

You'd run into the same problem as with Polaroid backs. The film is designed to sit inside the camera, so you either have to have a back/sensor that fits inside the camera or extend the focal plane backwards with a Plexiglas block like the NPC Polaroid back.

It's not technically impossible by any means but the digital back systems I know of are designed for systems with separate film backs, where the focal plane is behind the camera.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Aren't most (if not all) digital backs 645? Why not just pick up a cheap p645d or something instead. You can always adapt the 67 glass to the 645 still.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post

Mr. Despair posted:

Why not just pick up a cheap p645d or something instead.

It's just a short unicorn ride to the mythical "cheap p645d" store.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Random test roll of Fuji Pro 160NS

Construction, Jalan Pinang, 2013 by alkanphel, on Flickr

Lazy Bird, Masjid Sultan Mosque, 2013 by alkanphel, on Flickr

Fire Extinguisher, Victoria Street, 2013 by alkanphel, on Flickr

Masjid Sultan Mosque, 2013 by alkanphel, on Flickr

The XKCD Larper
Mar 1, 2009

by Lowtax

Sludge Tank posted:

Sorry about the dust

portra160_7 by Alex Gard, on Flickr

portra160_8 by Alex Gard, on Flickr

Good stuff

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

If you use the button on the face of the camera to bring the mirror back down without a battery inside, will the pictures you took still come out? Asking for a Pentax 6x7 btw

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

If you use the button on the face of the camera to bring the mirror back down without a battery inside, will the pictures you took still come out? Asking for a Pentax 6x7 btw

That frame will be toast but the rest of the roll should be fine.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Paul MaudDib posted:

That frame will be toast but the rest of the roll should be fine.

Ugh that's bad news. Luckily I had my Contax T3 in my pocket. drat repair place took the battery out without telling me, all they fixed was the film advance lever

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Ugh that's bad news. Luckily I had my Contax T3 in my pocket. drat repair place took the battery out without telling me, all they fixed was the film advance lever

I suppose it might work if you set for a long, timed exposure. In my experience the shutter locks open and the mirror locks up, no idea if that's universal. You could theoretically use it as a slow bulb system, but it's not optimal.

The shutter is electronically timed, even if the first curtain is mechanical and the solenoid has a spring operation you won't get instantaneous modes.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The double exposure lever on the Bronica SQ-A is going to be the death of me. Spent hours doing a few set ups yesterday (nothing important, thankfully) and took a few shots, did another today and was wondering why the counter only showed 1 shot gone :gonk:

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The double exposure lever on the Bronica SQ-A is going to be the death of me. Spent hours doing a few set ups yesterday (nothing important, thankfully) and took a few shots, did another today and was wondering why the counter only showed 1 shot gone :gonk:

You may know this already, but it puts a little thing on the right side of the viewfinder when it's set to double exposure.

edit: It just occurred to me that this is true on my Ai, but may not be true for the A.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.
Discovered that my RB67 50mm f4.5C from KEH doesn't like to fire the shutter 96% of the time... after shooting two rolls with it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

eggsovereasy posted:

You may know this already, but it puts a little thing on the right side of the viewfinder when it's set to double exposure.

edit: It just occurred to me that this is true on my Ai, but may not be true for the A.

I don't think it does for the A, the viewfinder is pretty basic on it.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post
I was looking at the Fuji MF rangefinders yesterday. What's the point of a rangefinder with autofocus? Doesn't that sort of defeat the whole point of having a rangefinder window and just turns it into a giant point & shoot?

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

ZippySLC posted:

I was looking at the Fuji MF rangefinders yesterday. What's the point of a rangefinder with autofocus? Doesn't that sort of defeat the whole point of having a rangefinder window and just turns it into a giant point & shoot?

I haven't tried those yet but it sounds like the manual focus override on AF lenses? So people can manually focus like a RF I suppose.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.
Don't want to be super anal dust spotting your negs? Take pictures of filth!

Still Life with Spider Residence by voodoorootbeer, on Flickr

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

voodoorootbeer posted:

Don't want to be super anal dust spotting your negs? Take pictures of filth!

Still Life with Spider Residence by voodoorootbeer, on Flickr
As someone who spent far too many hours obsessively spotting negs last night, your jarring non-diagetic dust has completely ruined my enjoyment of this photo.

I need to not drop my negatives onto the carpet ever again. :negative:

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
I got a Sinar Zoom. It's a rollfilm back for 4x5 that can do 645, 6x6, 6x7, 6x9, and 6x12 all on the same roll of film, with automatic frame spacing. It has an integrated metal curtain darkslide that automatically opens to the right frame width - but won't let you open the darkslide unless the back is actually on a camera. It also fits under a spring back, despite having much, much better film flatness than the Calumet backs with the same form factor. In short, it rules. They're normally $1000+ in the US but I got a deal on this one because it has some normal wear and didn't come with the viewfinder mask, which is OK with me because I don't have a Sinar camera to use it on, and because my Chamonix already has rollfilm framelines on the ground glass.

I'm really enjoying using it so far.

Service Steel by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Vigor Industrial by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

There's also the Sinar Vario (older, doesn't let you change formats in the middle of a roll) and the Sinar Zoom 2 (newer, doesn't have the slots for Graflok usage, supposedly more robust because the darkslide is a sheet instead of flexible curtains) but this was definitely the best bang for the buck for me.

MrBlandAverage fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Dec 13, 2013

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

ZippySLC posted:

Apart from the ability to set aperture-priority mode, compensate exposure, and do the other things P+S cameras don't, yeah, it's just a point and shoot, like most autofocus cameras.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

MrBlandAverage posted:

It's a rollfilm back for 4x5 that can do 645, 6x6, 6x7, 6x9, and 6x12 all on the same roll of film, with automatic frame spacing.

That's awesome, I never knew a thing like this existed.

Are there any good 6x12 backs for a reasonable price?

eggsovereasy fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Dec 13, 2013

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

eggsovereasy posted:

Define "reasonable price"... The $300 Chinese backs don't seem to be worth it - I think dukeku's didn't have any foam/seals, even on the darkslide trap. Film flatness seems to vary widely by brand. The well-regarded Horseman backs are around $500 and I'd have gotten one eventually if I hadn't stumbled across the Sinar for the price I did.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

eggsovereasy posted:

i've had good results with the cheapass guohua or whatever back. qc is poo poo though so it's totally possible you'll get a bum unit.

The Library, Scarsdale NY by JaundiceDave, on Flickr

Garage, Hartsdale NY by JaundiceDave, on Flickr

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

MrBlandAverage posted:

Define "reasonable price"... The $300 Chinese backs don't seem to be worth it - I think dukeku's didn't have any foam/seals, even on the darkslide trap. Film flatness seems to vary widely by brand. The well-regarded Horseman backs are around $500 and I'd have gotten one eventually if I hadn't stumbled across the Sinar for the price I did.

I was hoping the $200 range, but I suppose my expectations are just not realistic.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Provia 100F

Folded Tables, Eunos, 2013 by alkanphel, on Flickr

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc
Got some Portra back from the lab.

. by 8th-samurai, on Flickr

20131211-001-web by 8th-samurai, on Flickr

20131211-004-web by 8th-samurai, on Flickr

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

Nice, 4x5?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Yup, Chamonix with a 135mm Nikkor.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Working on putting my pentax to good use taking portraits of friends, for an interview project that I'm building a website for.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Great stuff in the last few posts.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

8th-snype posted:

. by 8th-samurai, on Flickr

I like this, but what's with the blurring on the left and the lack of it on the right?

8th-snype posted:

20131211-001-web by 8th-samurai, on Flickr

Love this.

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
Back to playin around with multiple exposures

Untitled by Dev Luns, on Flickr

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Awkward Davies posted:

I like this, but what's with the blurring on the left and the lack of it on the right?

Scheimpflug, I think. The focus plane cuts diagonally across the beach instead of parallel to the film plane, very close to the camera on the left side and through the grass on the right.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Yond Cassius posted:

Scheimpflug, I think. The focus plane cuts diagonally across the beach instead of parallel to the film plane, very close to the camera on the left side and through the grass on the right.

That's exactly what it is. I was messing around with movements.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
Naturally since I've been developing a bunch of B&W and C-41 at home I decided to take almost entirely slide film on a trip this weekend, so while that's off being processed please enjoy this boring backlog of crap I've been scanning lately:

Fun with oversharpening sepia!

Also I made my own wet mount scanning deal for the V550 using a piece of glass out of a photo frame ($2), a sheet of thin, clear acetate taped on one end to the glass ($0), some paper bits stacked up as height-adjustable feet ($0), and mineral oil ($4). After many iterations of scanning the same frame at heights differing by the thickness of one piece of paper and one piece of scotch tape, I have found that it will produce very slightly more detail than a curled up film placed haphazardly in the stock plastic holder in exchange for covering my negatives in a lot of fluid.

For shots that are not mirror locked on a tripod it's probably not worth the mess, at least in my process here, but I'm glad I didn't spend a hundred bucks on supplies to find that out.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OjaiYoda
Nov 13, 2009
I have been passively looking for a 50mm lens for my mamiya 6. are there any sites anyone can recommend besides things like ebay, or keh?

• Locked thread