Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Scotlander posted:

Anyone here had a chance to see Gauld play in the flesh? I'm stuck across the pond but from the youtube highlight reels the kid looks like the real deal, a type of player we've not produced in years. How much of it though do you think is down to the quality of players being as low as it is. Could he make the step up to Liverpool or Man Utd. like the papers are suggesting?

I've not seen him in person, but my Scottish mentality tells me not to get excited.

He's still really young and raw and it's a shame we he may not have the chance to progress and work at his game without the absolutely ridiculous things being flung at him like "Gauld linked to Real Madrid" the Scottish media have been coming up with. He could be the most strong minded person in the world and that would still get to him.

I hope beyond hope that he sticks it out for a few years before even considering moving. You don't need to put much thought into remembering "next big thing" players that went down South too early and got lost in the middle of other fantastic youngsters.

Hi, Danny Wilson!

There's also the fact that he's not yet 18 and it'll be interesting to see how the booze culture in Scotland hits him when he's 18.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I remember when John Fleck was being linked with Man Utd and called the Scottish Rooney and now he plays for Coventry

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...

Scott Bakula posted:

I remember when John Fleck was being linked with Man Utd and called the Scottish Rooney and now he plays for Coventry

It's funny because unlike all the other next big thing players he never even really got a good run of form/games to make people think that he was going to be good.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Fleck slightly resembled Rooney. That's where the comparison ended.

Whenever I seen him for Rangers he didn't look any better than any other youngster

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Chris Maguire was gonna be the Aberdonian Rooney.

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014
Dougie Imrie....

northward
Feb 21, 2006

ABERDEEN ARE AWESOME
fit like
:love:moray cup:love:
:love:sheep:love:

:love:haim:love:
Stevie Fulton was the Scottish Baggio

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...

northward posted:

Stevie Fulton was the Scottish Baggio

Once he got booked for being ugly.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

SuperHunBastard1690 posted:

It's funny because unlike all the other next big thing players he never even really got a good run of form/games to make people think that he was going to be good.

He must have bribed all the journos because was pish every time I saw him play. I don't think he even managed the one fluke game that has everyone thinking there's finally a non terrible Scottish player. I hope united manage to keep Gauld as long as possible so he's not stuck languishing in the youth setup of some epl team.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

jre posted:

He must have bribed all the journos because was pish every time I saw him play. I don't think he even managed the one fluke game that has everyone thinking there's finally a non terrible Scottish player. I hope united manage to keep Gauld as long as possible so he's not stuck languishing in the youth setup of some epl team.

Fleck turned out a superstar in one version of Football Manager, it was the FM Effect in action.

ally_1986
Apr 3, 2011

Wait...I had something for this...

BisonDollah posted:

Fleck turned out a superstar in one version of Football Manager, it was the FM Effect in action.

There is a great book called football manager ruined my life (think that's the title). They have an interview with the guy who did all the Scottish players stats back in the day. He gave one player like an 19 out of 20 for potential ability and he turns into the Messi of the game (think it was Don Howie or something like that?).

After it turned out he was poo poo the guy said he never gave any Scottish player more than an 12 or something.

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...

BisonDollah posted:

I played that one. He was a loving monster and scored like 50 goals a season but he was definitely getting called the next Rooney and all that pish before that. At least danny Wilson was half decent for us before he disappeared forever.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

SuperHunBastard1690 posted:

I played that one. He was a loving monster and scored like 50 goals a season but he was definitely getting called the next Rooney and all that pish before that. At least danny Wilson was half decent for us before he disappeared forever.

He can still come back in time to take over from Mohsni.

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...

ally_1986 posted:

There is a great book called football manager ruined my life (think that's the title). They have an interview with the guy who did all the Scottish players stats back in the day. He gave one player like an 19 out of 20 for potential ability and he turns into the Messi of the game (think it was Don Howie or something like that?).

After it turned out he was poo poo the guy said he never gave any Scottish player more than an 12 or something.

Is that the same as the stand up show with the same name? I saw the crowd coming out of that in august and every single one of them looked like statto. It was weird.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Gift suggestion if anyone got SuperHunBastard1690, Haggis heed, or Total Meatlove in the secret santa

what you should actually get them http://www.amazon.co.uk/Celtic-Fc-G...n+and+whitewash

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Do Celtic and Rangers still share a sponsor or was Rangers dying enough to stop that?

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Scott Bakula posted:

Do Celtic and Rangers still share a sponsor or was Rangers dying enough to stop that?

Eh, not really. Celtic have Magners, Rangers have Blackthorn. Both are owned by the same huge conglomerate, but Celtics deal is worth quite a bit more due to televised games and European fooball

radge
Jan 21, 2005

7 nil
7 starring Brad Pitt and Morgan Freeman
7 little dwarves
7 little chipmunks twirling on a branch, eating lots of sun flowers at my uncle's ranch

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

radge posted:

7 nil
7 starring Brad Pitt and Morgan Freeman
7 little dwarves
7 little chipmunks twirling on a branch, eating lots of sun flowers at my uncle's ranch

Are you not due an avatar change? Since you lost the bet?

radge
Jan 21, 2005

Haggis Heed posted:

CVA isn't through. Waiting on UBIG.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Haggis Heed posted:

He gets a stay of execution as they aren't out of admin , and a decision wont be taken till late January early February.

The refs are going mad about Ciftci's suspension only being two games, did he really grab the assistant by the throat ?

Borogrove
Apr 12, 2008

jre posted:

He gets a stay of execution as they aren't out of admin , and a decision wont be taken till late January early February.

The refs are going mad about Ciftci's suspension only being two games, did he really grab the assistant by the throat ?

According to the charge he placed an open hand to the base of the referees neck.

radge
Jan 21, 2005

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

It was undercover Dutch police.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'm fine telling strangers I watch anime or play video-games but I keep following Scottish Football a secret.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

A magnificent avant-garde piece on the case for safe standing, my money's on this for the Turner Prize.

Seriously though, no excuse for that. We crush Motherwell 5-0 and these fuds get the headlines.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Is there anything better than WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Total Meatlove posted:

Signing 10 players in January to make sure it continues

Borogrove
Apr 12, 2008

Not being in the 3rd tier.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Paying your tax.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

None of those things are better you're all mad

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
The sad thing is that the club even exists.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Chas McGill posted:

The sad thing is that the club even exists.

And have more chance if winning the Scottish cup than Aberdeen.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

With Rangers wild and unsustainable spending is there enough money about once they get into the SPL to survive? I assume again the answer is no

trashcangammy
Jul 31, 2012

Scott Bakula posted:

With Rangers wild and unsustainable spending is there enough money about once they get into the SPL to survive? I assume again the answer is no

They need beaucoup investment from a rich man with a particular hatred for catholics. Considering they're Scottish with a big South African interest that's not unrealistic. Otherwise, (it's a big otherwise) naw.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!

Total Meatlove posted:

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW?

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Total Meatlove posted:

Having enough money to make it to the end of the season ?

This week's excuse is 'overcrowding' and 'bad stewarding' :ughh:

jre fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Dec 8, 2013

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

So that's that, then: http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/dec/09/celtic-suspends-green-brigade-fans-motherwell

Teh Grauniad posted:

A Celtic spokesman said: "Following events on Friday evening at Fir Park Stadium, Celtic Football Club today announced that it has issued precautionary suspensions against 128 individuals preventing them attending matches involving Celtic, pending further investigation. These suspensions will cover matches at Celtic Park and away matches.
[...]
The Green Brigade released a statement on Sunday insisting that its members were not responsible for the damage but also admitting it should have been more effective in self-policing the section at Fir Park. Celtic have already given the ultras group one reprieve this year after reversing a decision to shut down section 111 following complaints about safety breaches back in August.

Meanwhile Uefa has opened disciplinary proceedings against the club after the Green Brigade unfurled a banner depicting the IRA hunger striker Bobby Sands and Scottish warrior William Wallace during last month's Champions League fixture with Milan.

Personally while I enjoyed some of what the GB did from my vantage point as a Yank plastic (the "YOUR DAY IS COMING" display, the fact that they were loud no matter what, some of their politics) I think that they had become too big for their own good (and they've as much admitted this recently in their press releases) and used up all their good will with the bangers during CL qualifying/that odd "TERRORIST OR THE DREAMER" banner/this whole Motherwell incident.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

The thing about the Green Brigade, for people that don't know, the same as The Blue Order (the slightly more poo poo Rangers equivalent) is that from my experience 75% of the members are kids aged 15 -19. And they find it funny to act like "hooligans". Because they have gently caress all else to do except rip out seats and throw flares.

I know a few people round about my age (25) and older that are in The GB or TBO and most of them are in it for the atmosphere rather than the stupid "ultras" thing.

And from my experience at work ( I'm a bar/club manager) the ones that cause the trouble while shouting "GREEN BRIGADE" or "Blue order" are the ones that have just turned 18 and think it's cool to go about acting like arses. Most of them just need a kicking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Are there any St Mirren supporters in the thread? Adam Campbell is almost certainly going on loan there in January

• Locked thread