Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

Young based lord and I look like JESUS
2 Things: Not only is Catman a villain, he's kind of a cool one. More of an anti-hero than anything. Started off as a cheesy Adam West era Bat-Foe and got resuscitated in Green Arrow decades later. Also, I did some googling and apparantly the Booster Gold show has been gestating for a long time, and was to be produced by Berlanti and written by Kreisberg. Color me loving excited, I didn't know any of that existed until reading this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

BreakAtmo posted:

If you're talking about TDKR Bane the Nolan trilogy already exists in its own universe and has nothing to do with Arrow at all. The only Batman continuity Arrow MIGHT be connected to - and it's still nothing but rumours right now - is the one started by Man of Steel and the upcoming sequel. And hell, I can imagine they would stay away from Bane as a Batfleck villain since he was just in Rises, so Arrow could actually be the best place for him.

I didn't know that, cool!

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Aphrodite posted:

Bane's Santa Priscan, you racist.

Santa Prisca actors guild are a little lite on enormous motherfuckers

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

I wonder how unlikely it would be for them to be able to nab Trejo.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

TheChad posted:

Danny Trejo as Bane is something I would perform multiple obscure ritual sacrifices for.

And it probably could be done - Trejo's done TV before (all I know of is the couple of Breaking Bad episodes).

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

TheChad posted:

I didn't know I needed this until you said that.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

It's preordained, really.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

TheChad posted:

It's preordained, really.

Hell, have Trejo-Bane use a machete at one point as a joke. Or have Ollie grab a machete and slash a Venom tube with it.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I was thinking "Why using all of Batman's villains", but then I remembered that they pretty much already run through all of Green Arrows rogues, including killing one of in the pilot.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

e X posted:

I was thinking "Why using all of Batman's villains", but then I remembered that they pretty much already run through all of Green Arrows rogues, including killing one of in the pilot.

Yeah, Green Arrow is kinda like Daredevil that way, he picks up a lot of castoffs and time-shared B-villains from other heroes along the way.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

So I watched the Flash episode of Arrow and really liked it. I think they did an awesome job introducing him and making him a distinct, nice character.
Plus he had some really nice chemistry with Feleciity (but to Hell with him if he thinks he can be with her instead of Ollie! Rargh, grr, irrational hatred of shipping that I don't support.)

One thing I will say is this episode, while capable of standing on it's own merits as a part of Arrow's season 2 also did a good job of setting up the basics of creating a spin off show. (So much so that I can understand how the execs decided to give Flash his own pilot.
Because in the episode you are shown an actor playing a new character with a lot of charisima, he is shown as being someone interesting enough that he can hold his own show.
But crucially they give him his own DEAL.

"I go around investigating/ looking into weird crimes that everyone else writes off. All in the hopes that I can put some meaning on my life and get my dad out of prison."

Bang, that's a hook right there. Well done Arrow people.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

The Question IRL posted:

But crucially they give him his own DEAL.

"I go around investigating/ looking into weird crimes that everyone else writes off. All in the hopes that I can put some meaning on my life and get my dad out of prison."

Bang, that's a hook right there. Well done Arrow people.

The potential Flash show is looking better and better the more I read about it. The New York Times did an article on Greg Berlanti where he talks about Arrow and his plans for the Flash.

The New York Times posted:

In the way that “The Bourne Identity” was a reference point for “Arrow,” Mr. Berlanti said that “Flash” has elements of Tom Wolfe’s “The Right Stuff.”

“We talk about that in the writer’s room a lot,” he said. “You have these larger-than-life test pilots who were risking their lives every time they took off. That’s part of what always fascinated me about the Flash. Yes, he had superpowers, but he wasn’t superhuman. He was vulnerable. He could be hurt or killed. He’s not getting in a jet. He actually is the jet.

“So he had this gift, but with it came this risk. And I think that’s what makes the character relatable.”

So it sounds like the Flash's powers will be almost as dangerous to him as they are to his enemies, at least in the beginning. I like the sound of that. One, it means we are definitely not getting near-omnipotent!Flash any time soon. And two, it's not really something I've seen before. Movies and shows like this rarely explore the potential downsides of superpowers. It's all fun and games until you accidentally start a housefire with laser-vision. :supaburn:

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Xealot posted:

I get that Assassins is more canonical, but it's such a Darth Badguy name for a team of villains. Shadows struck a better chord with me in Batman, even if it comes from nowhere. Of course, Arrow embraces its origins super earnestly, and I can't fault it for doing so. Assassins it is.

The League of Assassins is literally a league of assassins. The League of Shadows was an organization that killed evil cities. They can't recycle the plot from Batman Begins, and there's only one other possible story you can do with the League of Shadows, and no matter how crazy the super power stuff gets in Arrow, I don't think it'll ever get far enough to have the League of Shadows fight Danny the Street.

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

Young based lord and I look like JESUS

Spergatory posted:

The potential Flash show is looking better and better the more I read about it. The New York Times did an article on Greg Berlanti where he talks about Arrow and his plans for the Flash.

So it sounds like the Flash's powers will be almost as dangerous to him as they are to his enemies, at least in the beginning. I like the sound of that. One, it means we are definitely not getting near-omnipotent!Flash any time soon. And two, it's not really something I've seen before. Movies and shows like this rarely explore the potential downsides of superpowers. It's all fun and games until you accidentally start a housefire with laser-vision. :supaburn:

I absolutely love the frame of mind they approach their character work from. Berlanti for president. His approach is the perfect rebuke to the crap DC normally puts out.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Spergatory posted:

And two, it's not really something I've seen before. Movies and shows like this rarely explore the potential downsides of superpowers. It's all fun and games until you accidentally start a housefire with laser-vision. :supaburn:

Watch Alphas. It lasted two seasons on Syfy and is the best show I've ever seen about superpowers. It explores the downside to them very well. In fact the downside to them is one of the main parts of the show. It's a shame it didn't last longer.

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007

Deadpool posted:

Watch Alphas. It lasted two seasons on Syfy and is the best show I've ever seen about superpowers. It explores the downside to them very well. In fact the downside to them is one of the main parts of the show. It's a shame it didn't last longer.

I'm still bitter about that ending.:colbert:

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

The Question IRL posted:

(but to Hell with him if he thinks he can be with her instead of Ollie! Rargh, grr, irrational hatred of shipping that I don't support.)

This reads more ambiguously than you probably intended. :quagmire:

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

jscolon2.0 posted:

This reads more ambiguously than you probably intended. :quagmire:

Bollie 4-EVA.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Just got to the Huntress episodes, and I have to say; those were pretty bad, but not for the reasons I was expecting. I've seen comments on the actresses wooden delivery and her lack of chemistry with Oliver but I really didn't see either of those things. No, for me, the dealbreaker with the Huntress episodes was the action scenes. Every time Helena had to do something fighty it was just actively terrible. She has the physicality of a tree sloth on chemotherapy. Everything from her throws to her acrobatics to her punches was just nightmarishly bad, especially when Stephen Abs-mell was there to compare her to.

Her existence has just made me all the more appreciative of Caity Lotz as Black Canary. Now there's a girl who can deliver an action scene. :black101:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

And to go unashamedly male gaze for a moment: Huntress' actress wears her costume like a stripper or a runway model, while Caity Lotz looks likes an MMA fighter wrapped in a body glove. Both of them are real nice to look at, but only one of them convinces me that the character being portrayed can plausibly bring the hammer down on gangsters and professional assassins. Lotz is just the total package.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Dec 8, 2013

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I don't remember, but did they have the high heels for Huntress when she was in costume and fighting?

All I really remembered about the Huntress was that her actress was really attractive.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

Drifter posted:

I don't remember, but did they have the high heels for Huntress when she was in costume and fighting?

All I really remembered about the Huntress was that her actress was really attractive.

I thought she was kinda weird looking tbh.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

"Arrow Season 2: All these outrageously attractive women look weird"

Seriously? Of all the criticisms you could levy at these actresses (who I personally think are doing alright) is that they look weird?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

TheChad posted:

I thought she was kinda weird looking tbh.

I am so offended at you right now. :argh::respek::jerkbag:

You're probably one of those people who thinks Liv Tyler isn't absolutely beautiful, either. I am sickened. Literally dying right now.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

hi liter posted:

"Arrow Season 2: All these outrageously attractive women look weird"

Well, actually, yeah. Except for Felicity.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

I only said I thought Huntress looked a bit weird, what does Liv Tyler have to do with anything lol.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Liv Tyler has barely aged a day since Empire Records :colbert: drat Elves.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

My crush on Liv Tyler is mitigated by knowing that if I ever dated her I would end up having to listen to so much Aerosmith.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Gilok posted:

My crush on Liv Tyler is mitigated by knowing that if I ever dated her I would end up having to listen to so much Aerosmith.

You're crazy.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Habibi posted:

You're crazy.

Or possibly cryin'.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

caity lotz looks like owen wilson

Moira is the hottest woman on this show. what up.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

TheManWithNoName posted:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Well that was an odd tangent.

To get things back to some kind of decent conversation, if there are any X-Files fans among the show watchers they'll be glad to know that Nicholas Lea has been cast in a recurring role on the show. Krycek is coming to Arrow.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Deadpool posted:

Nicholas Lea has been cast in a recurring role on the show. Krycek is coming to Arrow.

I hope he plays a guy who initially teams up with Ollie and then he turns out to be KGBeast.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

TheManWithNoName posted:

Barrowman!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

-Blackadder- posted:

I hope he plays a guy who initially teams up with Ollie and then he turns out to be KGBeast.

Wasn't the guy in the cell on the freighter with Ollie KGBeast?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
They would have to make it so he is unkillable.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Aphrodite posted:

Wasn't the guy in the cell on the freighter with Ollie KGBeast?

Ha, didn't even notice that. Maybe Krycek could be NKVDemon.

e: vvv, that would be pretty cool, too.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Dec 8, 2013

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Googling Nicholas Lea's name turned up an article where someone offers random speculation that Lea will be playing David Caine under an assumed name.

Now there is literally nothing to back this up and the article is quite obviously a shameless attempt to drum up pure hits based on speculation, but since it features a character I like, I'll allow it.

That being said, Lea's character is almost certainly going to be a secret assassin or other badass. He's way too handsome an actor to just be on Arrow without getting involved in a fight scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Jesus Christ, Arrow just keeps upping the ante. If we get a mute martial arts expert in season 3 there's going to be no topping this series.

• Locked thread