Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

SynthOrange posted:

Well then maybe you should have salvaged him and installed a killswitch in his rear end. :colbert:

It just means that next time a nuclear weapon goes off near him, the EMP will fry him for good. :awesomelon:

Zeroisanumber posted:

William Gibson.

You just reminded me I haven't still found where the hell I put my Neuromancer and Count Zero books, and that I should start with All Tomorrows Parties soon. At least I know where my Idoru book is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Kommando posted:

:cripes: Not this dog and pony show again.

But now the dog and pony have been combined into one ungodly monstrosity, then mixed with a robot!

In other news: BG, if you want another set of eyes on the field ordering of tables (referencing the comment about JSON object member orderings from a couple pages back) I might be able to help. I don't know what the whole app is written in so I won't guarantee it, but you can email me--user name QA_2, domain hotmail.com with a quick infodump of what languages and techs it uses and maybe a bit of the code that generates the table, and I can try to make a suggestion.

BwenGun
Dec 1, 2013

Just finished reading through the entire thread and I wanted to say bgreman, and everyone else who has contributed, what a fantastic LP this is and how it was well worth the week spent reading it.

Further to that, could I possibly be put on the list of people awaiting Naval officers please?

Also, if I may make a general observation regarding the proposed agreement to extend our hold of the Saturnian mining operations, it might be sensible to ensure that the Feds are given a timetable to work with when it comes to when they expect their Jump Point stabilised. After all they may be expecting it straight away, or at least as soon as the second Jump Gate construction ship is complete, which would by necessity slow down our own efforts to stabilise JP3 to Ronoake. That being the case it might be advisable to stipulate that our own stabilisation efforts come first, with the Feds being granted the use of either the third Jump Gate construction ship we build or the first one we have free once work has begun on the Roanoke side of JP3.

The added benefit to the above is we ensure that our own ability to colonise Roanoke is completed first, which will hopefully go some way towards making up for the fact that our ships will have to travel much farther to drop off their infrastructure and colonists, whilst also keeping the Feds happy. Or at least happier.

BwenGun fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Dec 10, 2013

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

bgreman posted:

I think you must be summing everything in the demographics column. The top three lines are the demographic breakdown, the rest of the lines are the breakdown of JUST the manufacturing sector.
:bang: I knew I was doing something stupid. This doesn't change the population-mine work, thankfully.

Shipyards:
    Continue expansion of Gibraltar until it hits a capacity of 15,000 tonnes

Continue expansion of BC Void Shipping until it hits a capacity of 10,000 tonnes. Subsequently, build slipways up to a maximum of 5.

Continue expansion of Oceania up to 5,000 tonnes. Subsequently, build slipways up to a maximum of 10.

Continue expansion of Sydney Shipworks up to a maximum of 100,000 tonnes.

Continue expansion of Mitsubishi Defence up to 5,000 tonnes. Seek new orders at that point.

Continue expansion of Mitsubishi Commercial up to 30,000 tonnes. Seek new orders at that point.

Cease all construction at the ISS until Ion Engines are researched. Subsequently, a new raft of designs will be provided for a refitting programme.

Jimmy, I would like to request that 5% of the industry currently spent on mine > CI conversion is diverted to the production of new infrastructure.

Assuming Jimmy agrees, 10,000 infrastructure is be produced on Earth. Up to a maximum of 5,000 will be shipped to Callisto by the freighter fleet.

Assuming Coolguye agrees, when terraforming on Luna increases the maximum population limit up to 20% higher than the current actual population, 50% of freighters are to be diverted from the Earth-Callisto run to the Luna-Callisto run for infrastructure deliveries, removing infrastructure until the pop limit is 15% higher than the actual population.

UNRL votes yes to both proposals and naturally prefers to extend the lease on Iapetus. However, no CONSOL mines are to be used as a bargaining chip with Space Herbert West. The timetable for constructing the Zhonguo gate will be determined by the egress of the third linelayer from the shipyards. The UN's needs come first.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Ceebees posted:

On top of. A lease extension of ten years on one body if we stabilize Sol -> Zhongguo, expanded to 10 years on both moons if we disable the saturnine DSTS-es.

UNEC, please vote on the federation deal:
1 - Build one jump gate for the feds for a ten-year lease extension on one body (Iapetus, almost certainly)
2 - Disable the saturn DSTS (and rely on the Endymions for saturn snooping) to expand the extension to both

Given UNIN's approval and plans to make up for the loss of sensor data, UNFRaD votes Yes and Yes.

For the sake of clarity, UNCAO votes yes to both.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Aethernet you are only in charge of the civ shipyards, Gnooble controls the military ones. Also about the yards ISS may as well build another Aberdeen as it is stuck adding another slipway and cannot retool for a long time.

Saros fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Dec 10, 2013

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
GOVERNANCE, MY MORTAL ENEMY! It would be useful to get an understanding of what the endgame for the naval shipyards looks like for neutronium management purposes - letting them expand forever more will make them very difficult to retool.

I am reluctant to build another outdated freighter just to keep the yard busy - we aren't likely to have a great deal for it to do in the short term. However, if Cornucopia would like an Aberdeen as part of the DSTS trade, that might be worthwhile. I will leave that question to our esteemed diplomat. The ISS can remain idle until this decision is made.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Tooling time is only affected by the difference from the previous design, it is adding slipways which is dependent upon size. Right now we want more size for all our military yards as we need bigger secondary ships to enable us to build viable PD ships in the next generation. Our current destroters are just too small.

Gnooble
Sep 29, 2010

Commander, make full speed to JP1 and activate your active sensor to keep watch for any unauthorized transits.

Aethernet posted:

GOVERNANCE, MY MORTAL ENEMY! It would be useful to get an understanding of what the endgame for the naval shipyards looks like for neutronium management purposes - letting them expand forever more will make them very difficult to retool.

I am reluctant to build another outdated freighter just to keep the yard busy - we aren't likely to have a great deal for it to do in the short term. However, if Cornucopia would like an Aberdeen as part of the DSTS trade, that might be worthwhile. I will leave that question to our esteemed diplomat. The ISS can remain idle until this decision is made.

Also production is Jimmy's bailiwick although you can request stuff. BuShips plans to expand EADS-Astrium to around 10000 tons before the next retool, Oceania/BC Void/Volvo to around 5k, and Mitsubishi all the way up to 10000.

As reference, LINK to the UNEC breakdown. List was approved by implied consent, as no UNECs objected.

Innocent_Bystander
May 17, 2012

Wait, missile production is my responsibility?

Oh.

Gnooble posted:

Also production is Jimmy's bailiwick although you can request stuff. BuShips plans to expand EADS-Astrium to around 10000 tons before the next retool, Oceania/BC Void/Volvo to around 5k, and Mitsubishi all the way up to 10000.

As reference, LINK to the UNEC breakdown. List was approved by implied consent, as no UNECs objected.

Now on the wiki, too!

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

bgreman posted:

To: Councilor Jimmy440nav, Councilor Aethernet
Re: BP Saturn CMCs

We would be willing to pay €2 billion per CMC if we were permitted to run two of the CMCs on behalf of the Republic of Cornucopia. Our investment in the venture has been quite profitable and we would like to reinvest some of our gains made back into the development of the colony.

TO: Eric Russel
Subject: CMC Sales

Currently the UN is not prepared to allow the sale of UN strategic assets (in this case minerals mined from Callisto) to the Republic of Cornucopia. While the Grand Princept has removed herself from her emergency powers, the fact that she was able to assume dictatorial powers so easily and for such a small reason is of concern for the UN. Until the Republic is better able to prove its self of remaining a stable democratic platform we will not be selling strategic assets there, though we are of course willing to amend this position later on as it develops. In addition the UN is preparing to under go a massive industrial crash build and will need all the minerals it can purchase, so CONSOL can rest assured that it's number one customer will be willing to purchase all the minerals it mines.

Aethernet posted:

Jimmy, I would like to request that 5% of the industry currently spent on mine > CI conversion is diverted to the production of new infrastructure.

Assuming Jimmy agrees, 10,000 infrastructure is be produced on Earth. Up to a maximum of 5,000 will be shipped to Callisto by the freighter fleet.

Assuming Coolguye agrees, when terraforming on Luna increases the maximum population limit up to 20% higher than the current actual population, 50% of freighters are to be diverted from the Earth-Callisto run to the Luna-Callisto run for infrastructure deliveries, removing infrastructure until the pop limit is 15% higher than the actual population.

UNRL votes yes to both proposals and naturally prefers to extend the lease on Iapetus. However, no CONSOL mines are to be used as a bargaining chip with Space Herbert West. The timetable for constructing the Zhonguo gate will be determined by the egress of the third linelayer from the shipyards. The UN's needs come first.

That's a lot of infrastructure, don't forget the civilian markets are producing a butt ton of it also and shipping it to Callisto. The Moon isn't receiving any of it or any new populations since we froze colonization to the Tranquility. Plus for the time being I'm going to finish the run on terraformers before adjusting production orders because I'm going to be shifting some stuff around. For examplie in light of the revised mineral count, I'll likely be putting a bit more of an emphasis on mines and mine building. Since that terraformer run will finish in 2 months, I feel this also gives us ample time to hammer out a more concrete plan for colonization efforts and exploration.

UNIEB votes YES on Both Measures

Jimmy4400nav fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Dec 11, 2013

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
Just food for thought:

With regards to Aethernet's directive of linelayer priorites, the Federation isn't especially likely to take a deal where their gate is the third in line and will be done in maybe two years. In order to make the trade, we actually need to be saving them time over researching and launching their own gatebuilder.

If/when we get Luna to prime habitability, shouldn't all the infrastructure there will be available for redeployment? This is 20,000 (and rising) units of infrastructure - another reason to never stop building freighters if we can help it.

BwenGun
Dec 1, 2013

Ceebees posted:

Just food for thought:

With regards to Aethernet's directive of linelayer priorites, the Federation isn't especially likely to take a deal where their gate is the third in line and will be done in maybe two years. In order to make the trade, we actually need to be saving them time over researching and launching their own gatebuilder.

If/when we get Luna to prime habitability, shouldn't all the infrastructure there will be available for redeployment? This is 20,000 (and rising) units of infrastructure - another reason to never stop building freighters if we can help it.

Depends entirely on how close they are to getting a gate-builder up and ready. If they have to research the tech, tool a yard and then build the first hull then it may well still be economical for them to essentially hire the use of our third one. Though really it depends on how long it takes for us to build a Linelayer using pre-fabbed components. If it's six months or so then I'd hazard to guess that the Feds will still snap up the chance to get the use of one of ours in lieu of their own, likely to be a year and a half away.

At the very least its worth haggling with them over it. Worst case scenario you could use our reluctance to give over the use of our second Linelayer to them to get some much better long term concessions out of them, for example transfer of industrial capacity or infrastructure which could then be shipped out to Roanoke.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

BGreman: Are the Odessa Accords still in effect as of Jan 2036?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Aethernet posted:

The normal population growth of Tranq inhabitants will match the habitability increases via private infrastructure production and terraforming until Luna makes its albedo shift, which will be a few years out.

I'm not opposed to something like this but the reality of the situation is that you're not getting dick out of Tranq for a while. That said, after Callisto phase 1 is complete I am probably just going to let the normal deliveries from Earth continue to go to Callisto. Luna's current population will handle the mining infrastructure we need in the immediate future, and if we need it to grow we can resume shipments there. I'd rather just let Callisto hit 25 million souls. That way if we go extrasolar I don't have to worry about Callisto screwing up the AI of the civs.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

It will take about 6 years for Tranquility to grow that much excess capacity on its own. Earth should spit out enough infrastructure that we won't need to cannibalize.

Natural population growth also won't be enough to feed our mining efforts. It only supports about 2 new moon mines or 2/5 of a terraformer per month for the first few years.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

I've made a lot of updates to the Wiki, including tidying up the UNEC roll, creating pages on the various solar systems, adding the ruins treaty proposal and reposting the complete Belnar white paper in a single location
http://bgreman.com/AuroraLPWiki/Belnar_White_Paper
http://bgreman.com/AuroraLPWiki/Category:Solar_Systems

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Every single Ordinance Factory on Luna is up to be shipped back to Earth and replaced with a mine. The natural population is plenty for the immediate future. If that changes we'll resume infra and colonist deliveries.

Ballbot5000
Dec 13, 2008

Fabricati diem, pvnc.

Foxfire_ posted:

It will take about 6 years for Tranquility to grow that much excess capacity on its own. Earth should spit out enough infrastructure that we won't need to cannibalize.

Natural population growth also won't be enough to feed our mining efforts. It only supports about 2 new moon mines or 2/5 of a terraformer per month for the first few years.

Man, if only we could like, speed up natural population growth. If only we knew somebody who could do that. Somebody familiar with Tranquility, somebody with the vision, the grit and the determination. The man of the hour, with a legion of maintenance droids at his beck and call!

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

Foxfire_ posted:

Finally caught up!

bgreman: Enlist me in the navy as something bureaucraty (logistics/operations)

bgreman posted:

There are no available officers with either of those bonuses. Do you want to wait for one or take one of the two available naval officers?

Still waiting on an answer here. I have a survey officer available (actually, 1st Fleet HQ's survey staff officer).

Foxfire_ posted:

It'll take another update to get a second point to compare to since we don't have any recent historical data.

Magrov posted:

Sadly I'm in the same spot as you: I didn't save the mineral report from just after the mineral tech research and now I only have 1 data point to estimate the non-UN earth production. The non-UN mineral production on Earth between 11/01/2035 and 28/10/2035 was equivalent to 78% of ours, but our production has increased 20% due to the research, so the current ratio is certainly larger than 78%. We need another data point to be sure.

Celebrate now, as I've just updated the CWV up to November 18th, the current in-game date. The last update's second entry mistakenly listed the date as 15th November rather than 18th, so I went ahead and edited that.

BwenGun posted:

Further to that, could I possibly be put on the list of people awaiting Naval officers please?

Done.

UNGS Analysis of Intercepted Astrographic Survey of Star System "Zhongguo"

Zhongguo is a star system 7.05 pc (23 light years) away at RA 5h 14m 38s, Dec -45.44°. To be determined at a later date. The sole star is a G7-V main sequence star, somewhat less massive than and only half as luminous as Sol. However, the system contains abundant bodies both major and minor.

The system can be divided into several main regions.
  • The Inner System is a region roughly the size of our own solar system out to Pluto, containing ten planets, whose orbital distances vary from 36m km up to 5.2b km. The jump point to Sol is located in the Inner System at a distance of 1.15b km, bearing 306°.
    • The innermost planet, Zhongguo-A I, is a Venus-like world about the size of Earth. With a pressure of over 90 atmospheres, and a surface temperature of nearly 750°C, it is an inhospitable place. It is significantly denser than Earth, leaving it with a much higher surface gravity.
    • The next planet, Zhongguo-A III, is the third known planet (after Earth and Roanoke-B III, "Jamestown") with an nitrogen/oxygen atmosphere. Unlike Roanoke-B III, Zhongguo-A III's atmosphere is not thick enough to be breathable by humans without an oxygen concentrator unit. Zhongguo-A III is about 60% the diameter of Earth, and only about 16% the mass, leaving it with a surface gravity of about 0.42g. The planet is 31% covered by a thick sheet of water ice, has a day 39 standard hours long, and revolves around Zhongguo once every 274 Earth days. The low albedo of the planet drives its surface temperature down somewhat. Zhongguo-A III has one small moon, 156,000 km from the planet and 140 km in diameter.
    • Zhongguo A-IV is another super-Earth, though without the runaway greenhouse effect of Zhongguo-A I. It has a nitrogen/carbon Dioxide atmosphere and a thick water/carbon dioxide ice sheet covering nearly three-quarters of the planet. The planet is somewhat less dense than Earth, so despite its large mass, its surface gravity is only 30% higher than Earth's. It has a surprisingly quick 14 hour rotation period and a revolution period about Zhongguo of 2.17 years. Its 11° axial tilt means that its seasons are rather less distinct than those on Earth. The large amount of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere lends added insulation to the planet, meaning that, despite being more than twice as far from Zhongguo as A III, it is nearly 10°C warmer. Zhongguo-A IV also has one small moon, 220,000 km out and 140 km in diameter. Rarely for a terrestrial planet, Zhongguo-A IV has an extensive ring system.
    • Zhongguo-A V is an Earth-sized world with a mass less than half of Earth (giving it a surface gravity of about half of Earth's as well). It also has a nitrogen/oxygen atmosphere (somewhat easier to breathe than Zhongguo-A III, as there is about three times as much oxygen), but its distance from Zhongguo renders it far colder than either of the other two Earth-like worlds. It has a day 26 hours long and revolves around Zhongguo once every 3.1 years. It has small polar ice caps covering 10% of the planet's surface area. Zhongguo-A V has a single large moon, 1200 km in diameter, orbiting 47,000 km from the planet.
    • Zhongguo-A VI is a small, atmosphereless world about half the size Ganymede. With a temperature of -186.2°C, it's surface gravity is too low to admit long-term human settlement.
    • Zhongguo-A VII and VIII are giant planets with extensive moon systems (16 major moons for Zhongguo-A VII (ice giant about the size of Neptune) and 24 major moons for Zhongguo A-VIII (gas giant about the size of Saturn)). Several of these moons have surface gravities high enough to support human habitation, though most have no atmosphere and all have frigid temperatures between -175°C and -225°C.
      • Zhongguo-A VIIMoon 1, diameter 3800, orbital distance 114,000 km, surface gravity 0.18g
      • Zhongguo-A VIIMoon 2, diameter 3200, orbital distance 143,000 km, surface gravity 0.14g
      • Zhongguo-A VIIMoon 4, diameter 3000, orbital distance 200,000 km, surface gravity 0.14g

• Zhongguo-A VIII Moon 2, diameter 5200, orbital distance 150,000 km, surface gravity 0.2 g
      • Zhongguo-A VIII Moon 3, diameter 5800, orbital distance 200,000 km, surface gravity 0.27 g
      • Zhongguo-A VIII Moon 7, diameter 5000, orbital distance 400,000 km, surface gravity 0.24 g
      • Zhongguo-A VIII Moon 8, diameter 4200, orbital distance 450,000 km, surface gravity 0.20 g
      • Zhongguo-A VIII Moon 14, diameter 4200, orbital distance 800,000 km, surface gravity 0.18 g
      • Zhongguo-A VIII Moon 22, diameter 7600, orbital distance 11,600,000 km, surface gravity 0.21 g

Zhongguo-A VIII Moons 3 and 22 are interesting in that they do possess atmospheres, though they are tenuous. Moon 3 has an atmosphere composed of nitrogen and trace amounts of methane. Most of the methane is frozen out on the surface of the body, and the total pressure is only 6% of sea-level on Earth. Moon 22's atmosphere is even more tenuous, at only 0.22% of sea-level on Earth. Orbiting more than 11 million km from Zhongguo-A VIII, this Mars-sized ice ball is not subjected to the tidal heating of its parent ice giant, and the entirety of its nitrogen/carbon dioxide atmosphere has frozen out onto the surface.
    • Zhongguo-A IX is a rocky body with a frozen nitrogen/methane atmosphere 0.9% as thick as sea-level Earth. It is about 25% larger in diameter than Earth, but its icy composition gives it much less mass, resulting in a surface gravity only 43% of Earth's. It has a single moon 2000 km in diameter orbiting at 312,000 km. Interestingly, it shares an orbit with a trojan asteroid 60° behind it. There are also two other sizable asteroids between the orbit of Zhongguo-A IX and the next planet, one of which is nearly 400 km across.
    • Zhongguo-A X is a Saturn-sized gas giant with 22 major moons, one of which, Moon 2 (diameter 2800 km, orbital distance 123,000 km) has enough surface gravity to support human habitation. However, its surface temperature of -231.4°C likely precludes it as a target for major colonization.
    • About halfway between the respective orbits of Zhongguo-A X and A XI is a single small asteroid.
    • Zhongguo-A XI is a huge gas giant, 10% larger in diameter than Jupiter and more than 7.5 times more massive. Like the other giant planets of the Zhongguo system, it has an extensive moon system, with more than 30 bodies cataloged. Two of them (Moon 15: diameter 4800 km, orbital distance 1.46m km, surface gravity 0.23 g; Moon 24: diameter 3800, orbital distance 6.9m km, surface gravity 0.15 g) have sufficient surface gravity to support human habitation. Like the other "habitable" outer moons, it is likely far too cold to ever be a serious colony.
  • The Middle System contains an expansive ice asteroid belt (as opposed to the metallic/rocky asteroid belt of Sol) and a minor planet.
    • Between Zhongguo-A XI and Zhongguo-A XV is a massive asteroid belt, containing over 300 asteroids with orbital distances between 5.8b km and 15.6b km, though most are within a 10b km radius of Zhongguo.
    • Zhongguo-A XV is a small, airless, icy body, 1000 km in diameter. It is likely that it is the largest remnant of the event that caused the scattering of the asteroids within the Middle System. The large gap between the Middle and Outer asteroid belt is largely due to the gravitational influence of Zhongguo-A XV.
  • The Outer System contains another large field of minor bodies (likely icy in nature, similar to the Middle System Belt) and a final, distant gas giant.
    • The Outer System Belt is composed of nearly 300 asteroids, ranging in orbital distance from 71b km to 177 b km. There is also a single outlier nearly 230b km out. It is likely this body is in the process of being ejected from the Zhongguo system by a gravitational interaction with Zhongguo-A XIX. There are also several large voids in the belt where no asteroids are present.
    • Zhongguo-A XIX is another Uranus-sized ice giant with 25 known moons. Five have sufficient surface gravity for long-term habitation. However, all are airless and have surface temperatures approaching absolute zero.
      • Moon 1, diameter 3000 km, orbital distance 84,000 km, surface gravity 0.13 gs
      • Moon 4, diameter 3000 km, orbital distance 167,000 km, surface gravity 0.11 gs
      • Moon 10, diameter 13,950 km, orbital distance 363,000 km, surface gravity 0.55 gs
      • Moon 15, diameter 2200, orbital distance 781,000 km, surface gravity 0.10 gs
      • Moon 24, diameter 3000, orbital distance 7,600,000 km, surface gravity 0.12 gs
  • The system also contains 17 known active comets, ranging in size between 24 and 200 km and with aphelions between 708m and 82b km.

Fig 1. An overview of the Zhongguo system. The outermost planet, Zhongguo-A XIX (top left), is more than 172b km from the system primary (1149 AU, or about 2% of a light year). The large outer asteroid belt is clearly evident, as is the significant gap between the inside edge of the outer belt and the "sentinel" planetoid, Zhongguo-A XV. Three comets can be seen in the gap. Also note the asteroid (labeled #600, bottom left) that is in the process of exiting the star system.

Fig 2. Zoomed from above. The orbit of the Zhongguo-A XV can be seen, as well as the gap separating it from the middle system asteroid belt. Here, the density of comets in the system becomes apparent.

Fig 3. Zoomed from above. Here the density of the middle belt can be appreciated. It should be noted that the inner edge of this belt is at a distance roughly corresponding to the average orbital distance of Pluto. Thus, these bodies have much more in common with Sol's Kuiper Belt Objects than with Sol's Mars-Jupiter asteroids. A number of Inner System comets can be seen.

Fig 4. Detail of the innermost planets. The orbital distance of Zhongguo-A VIII is approximately the same as Saturn's orbital distance from the sun. Zhongguo-A VII orbits at a distance comparable to that of Jupiter. The jump point to Sol lies between the two orbits.

Fig 5. Further detail of the innermost planets. This image contains the two most likely targets of Federation colonization efforts, Zhongguo-A III and Zhongguo-A IV.

Fig 6. An image taken by a Federation vessel on approach to Zhongguo-A IV. The bright red star in the upper left corner is Antares, while the blue star in the upper right is Spica. The bright red-orange light in the right center is Zhongguo-A IV's only moon.

bgreman fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Dec 12, 2013

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Jihad Joe posted:

Man, if only we could like, speed up natural population growth. If only we knew somebody who could do that. Somebody familiar with Tranquility, somebody with the vision, the grit and the determination. The man of the hour, with a legion of maintenance droids at his beck and call!

Trust me, I've reviewed your credentials recently. The limiting factor on Tranq's population growth is the infrastructure and terraforming progression, not the fertility of its women or the virility of its men.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Dammit...I can see why the Feds wanted the system to be kept away from us so badly. Is there anyway we can back off on the linelayer deal? I'd rather not let the Feds rapidly colonize this system, even if we are trying to cooperate with them.

Edit: vvv Yeah, I know. I figured as much, but this still loving sucks.

Dr. Snark fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Dec 12, 2013

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Dr. Snark posted:

Dammit...I can see why the Feds wanted the system to be kept away from us so badly. Is there anyway we can back off on the linelayer deal? I'd rather not let the Feds rapidly colonize this system, even if we are trying to cooperate with them.

Suddenly backing away on the deal might tip them off that we know something we shouldn't.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Mister Bates posted:

Suddenly backing away on the deal might tip them off that we know something we shouldn't.

Hold out for more money?

Gnooble
Sep 29, 2010

Commander, make full speed to JP1 and activate your active sensor to keep watch for any unauthorized transits.
We have no reason to back out of a deal, not building them a gate will only delay them maybe half a year, plus we can purposely use a bad officer to stretch out construction instead of some Federation construction genius shaving 100 days off the build time. For our efforts, we will gain 10 years of mining on Fed territory and get to be chummy.

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

We're getting a pretty good deal out of building a gate for them. Tying up those Saturn mines gives us some much needed minerals. This is important since we don't have a good extrasolar source yet.

We can probably take away from this that there is a decent amount of minerals located in NewChina, since they are willing to extend the lease on those Saturn mines.

Also, those side deals should be done ASAP I think. Getting some free DSTS's shipped back to Earth from said mines is a no brainer. We don't need them there anymore since we have our snoopships out floating about now. Same goes for our Mars thing, no?

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Dr. Snark posted:

Edit: vvv Yeah, I know. I figured as much, but this still loving sucks.

Considering this data confirms what we already basically knew (I.E that the system they claimed is awesome) I really don't see a need to back off. Plus it'll still take time for them two years to actually do anything with the system since we obviously not going to put our most efficient officer on that. Right guys?

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

bgreman posted:

Still waiting on an answer here. I have a survey officer available (actually, 1st Fleet HQ's survey staff officer).

I'll take the survey officer. Hopefully I'll never have to go out exploring (in my games at least, aliens typically say hello by blasting a sensorless survey ship)

bgreman posted:

Celebrate now, as I've just updated the CWV up to November 18th, the current in-game date. The last update's second entry mistakenly listed the date as 15th November rather than 18th, so I went ahead and edited that.

Point 1 - 287710 tons of gallicite left, 349.60 days left on ISS slipway
Point 2 - 286170 tons of gallicite left, 329.55 days left on ISS slipway

1540 tons mined in 20.05 days, 76.8 tons/day

76.8 tons/day of gallicite is 96 tons/day of a accessibility 1 mineral

We mine ~(18565.5+18430.5)/2 tons/year of accessibility 1 during this period. 51.4 tons/day.

So not-UN mines 44.6 tons/day, 16056 tons/year.

Sticking that number as not-UN mining into a copy of Aurora set up with our current production and consumption, the duranium stockpile runs out in about 4 years if we don't change anything.

CMCs and moon mining will be expanding and Fed mining on earth is dropping as they relocate, so we can probably afford to expand consumption (faster CI->construction factory conversions) without worrying about running out of minerals

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Two questions, is there a Zhongguo-B and what happened to Zhongguo-A II? :tinfoil:

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Teledahn posted:

Two questions, is there a Zhongguo-B and what happened to Zhongguo-A II? :tinfoil:

Well you see, sometimes ancient advanced aliens just have a few too many drinks and then things happen.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

Teledahn posted:

1) No.
2) Aurora has a weird bug where planet numbers are sometimes skipped in the SystemBody table. Since the roman numeral is based off this value, things are sometimes skipped. For example, Zhongguo has bodies assigned orbit numbers 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 (middle system asteroid belt), 15, 18 (outer system belt), 19. What I think happens is that Aurora tries to generate an orbit in that slot, determines that it is too close to the previous one, and then moves on, while still advancing the orbit number. I seem to remember Steven announcing that he'd fixed this, but it must be in 6.0+.

In universe, assume some arcane International Astronomical Union rules for planet numbers are the culprit.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

Gnooble posted:

We have no reason to back out of a deal, not building them a gate will only delay them maybe half a year, plus we can purposely use a bad officer to stretch out construction instead of some Federation construction genius shaving 100 days off the build time. For our efforts, we will gain 10 years of mining on Fed territory and get to be chummy.

Yeah. How about for once we do things straight, instead of trying to be "oh so" clever?

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

I think Fean is going to be watching very carefully at how long our gate takes to be constructed. If that differs from the time estimate we give them, there is going to be questions...

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

BGreman, would you mind posting in-game screenshots of the system details screen (the one with the table of all bodies)? Or at least the parts before the asteroid belts, if those are too tedious. I'd like to do some pictures in SpaceEngine. And although I can find some data in the raw viewer, some pieces are missing (like mass or radius). Thanks.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

Added the location data for Zhongguo to that post, fixed some incorrect image links, and added a nice picture of Zhongguo-A IV.

markus_cz posted:

BGreman, would you mind posting in-game screenshots of the system details screen (the one with the table of all bodies)? Or at least the parts before the asteroid belts, if those are too tedious. I'd like to do some pictures in SpaceEngine. And although I can find some data in the raw viewer, some pieces are missing (like mass or radius). Thanks.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/68551139/CWSE.zip

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle

Kal-L posted:

Yeah. How about for once we do things straight, instead of trying to be "oh so" clever?

Yes. A deal is a deal, let's just give them a mediocre but not outright crappy construction officer and leave it at that, and perhaps carefully renegotiate for better payment.
Or we could always use this information to invest for war in the long term to gain a sizable advantage and seize it from them. I don't actually think we should do this though.

It's great information, but there's only so much we can do with it. Even asking for a slightly better deal (probably a good idea), even if we are polite and cautious about it, will make them slightly suspicious of us, but we can get away with that, as well as putting a mediocre officer on the job.

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Dec 12, 2013

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
I'm presently too riddled with rhinoviruses to crunch numbers; could someone whose brain still functions please puzzle out completion times of the next two gate builders, and ETCs on their respective gate completion?

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Oh, wow. This is... way more that what I've expected. Amazing, thanks.

Did you create a script that creates the Space Engine files for you? Or have you written them by hand? In any case, hope you don't mind a couple of suggestions:

- Do not include RotationPeriod. Space Engine can calculate it on its own and actually gives the exact same result as Aurora... except if you DON'T set rotation period manually, it can recognise tidally locked planets and will adjust them accordingly (they tend to have massive glaciers on the cold, dark site, and also the atmosphere is much more violent). I did't manage to achieve the same result when setting rotation manually. It's a detailed but sometimes it looks cool.
- I'd delete Oblateness and Albedo as well. These are meaningless values, as Aurora doesn't set them (Albedo in Aurora is something else than Albedo in SE, but you seem to know it). As a result, if you go by Aurora, you will always have the same values (0.0 and 0.367). For variety's sake I'd let SE calculate them on its own. It may have no visual impact, I don't know, but why not give it a chance.

But I'm impressed. Creating a system visualisation now.

EDIT:

bgreman posted:

Fig 6. An image taken by a Federation vessel on approach to Zhongguo-A IV.

And I'm nominating Zhongguo IV as the most beautiful planet ever.

markus_cz fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Dec 12, 2013

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

I'm completely lost and have no idea what's going on. I'll be at my bunker.

If you need any diplomatic or mineral stuff just call me. If you plan to nuke India please give me a 5 minute warning to close the windows!

Also Iapetus sucks!

Foxfire_ posted:

So not-UN mines 44.6 tons/day, 16056 tons/year.

According to my calculations, non-UN annual production is currently 16,052.25 tons per year. Close enough.

Foxfire_ posted:

Sticking that number as not-UN mining into a copy of Aurora set up with our current production and consumption, the duranium stockpile runs out in about 4 years if we don't change anything.

Here we diverge, probably because I'm just using interpolation and polinomial regression models, and you are actually using the game engine. I'm getting 3 years left of Duranium on earth. So, we get about 3 years of full production, and then it drops about 50%, and out stocks of duranium starts bleeding 35 tons per day instead of the current rate of 3.1 per day, giving us 1.3 more years of duranium left on our stocks.

So my model says that we will run out of Duranium in 4.3 years. Again, close enough for linear interpolations on a excel spreadsheet.

Ok industrial people, you have about 4 years to increase off-earth duranium production by 120%, or you'll have to cut your duranium consumption by 50%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Dont put an officer on the ship and the gate will be constructed in a flat year.

• Locked thread