Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
There was a Donruss hockey product a couple of years ago. I kinda liked it, but I was apparently one of a very few that did as it was discontinued after that first run.

They've certainly done a good job working around the logo issue here, though I'd rather they went with "Baltimore" than "Baltimore Baseball Club".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

They've been using Donruss branded stuff for years though, just not MLB. The bigger news was Upper Deck finally bringing back Fleer, which they bought almost 10 years ago and then didn't do anything with.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

The Machinima Man posted:

Anybody else catch that Donruss is making a return this year (through Panini)?

http://www.beckett.com/news/2013/11/first-look-2014-donruss-baseball-cards/

For cards that have no team logos or names on them, they actually look pretty good (when you get past the fact that they're resurrecting the 80s card frames along with the brand name).

I didn't know Bryce Harper became a hobo.

The cards look good, except the Diamond Kings. You can't do Diamond Kings without the paintings damnit!

I Am Frick
Mar 26, 2004

The lesser half
of Frick and Frack

Boinks posted:

I didn't know Bryce Harper became a hobo.

The cards look good, except the Diamond Kings. You can't do Diamond Kings without the paintings damnit!

That Harper card looks like a painting... a very well done painting that could easily be confused for a real photo. Look at his neck beard, that's the only part of the card that doesn't look real.

Pendergast
Nov 11, 2012
I miss upper deck baseball. Mainly the cheaper sets that where easier to build. Plus the variety was nice. Still don't get the whole lawsuit thing.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

The Machinima Man posted:

That Harper card looks like a painting... a very well done painting that could easily be confused for a real photo. Look at his neck beard, that's the only part of the card that doesn't look real.

Oh I see it now. Looks like a touched up digital painting over a photoshop paint filter.

Watercolors forever!

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
The biggest score I ever got in a pack of baseball cards was the Michael Jordan taking batting practice with the White Sox card... Upper Deck 1991 I think. It was worth about $20 when I took it out the pack. Probably no more than a dollar now, though.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Isn't Upper Deck lucky to still be in business at all at this point?

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I saw a guy at the dirt mall still trying to get $5 for this card.

That really brought back memories.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

ElwoodCuse posted:

Honestly I have no idea. I haven't bought a pack of cards in more than five years, probably.

I do miss when I had the big choices of Topps, Donruss, Fleer, Score, Upper Deck, and Bowman at the local card shop and I would go blow my allowance on a shitload of cards and my mom would get mad at me. Ah, memories. Most of the cards were like 50 cents a pack then, too.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Pendergast posted:

I miss upper deck baseball. Mainly the cheaper sets that where easier to build. Plus the variety was nice. Still don't get the whole lawsuit thing.

The lawsuit was because this:

Retail Slave posted:

Topps, Donruss, Fleer, Score, Upper Deck, and Bowman at the local card shop.

All of these and who knows how many brands were releasing dozens, if not more, sets and special releases every year resulting in a couple of things. One was a diluted market with too many products that were all the same (seriously look at some UD product lines from a random year in the mid-2000s, they're all the same thing!), and the second one was consumer confusion.

I agree with the reasoning for MLB going exclusive with Topps, but they should have been signed with Topps and one of Panini/UD for the sake of competition. I think the exclusive deal with Topps just got extended to something dumb like 2020.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
As someone who only occasionally dabbles in shiny new stuff, the elimination of the 9000 brands of poo poo cards was a big positive for me. At least now most of the product that's out there has a target market and a purpose.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
The lawsuit where Upper Deck was counterfeiting yugioh cards was even better :laugh:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

ElwoodCuse posted:

Yeah I don't know how they are still operating after the multiple lawsuits. I mean the CEO got caught shredding counterfeit cards in his office for god's sake.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

jeffersonlives posted:

As someone who only occasionally dabbles in shiny new stuff, the elimination of the 9000 brands of poo poo cards was a big positive for me. At least now most of the product that's out there has a target market and a purpose.

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like there's still 9000 different brands out there, they're just all made by Topps.

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat
Got two 2011 bowman hanger packs for $2 a piece, not bad for the price.
Also pulled a chrome Javier Baez RC.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Where in the hell did you find those for two bucks? I would have bought every single one.

Heaf
Jan 15, 2008

People say we suck at sports but they don't understand
It's hard to catch with holes right through your hands
Upper Deck being in business is a bit confounding, sure. Their hockey roster is actually pretty deep beyond the NHL itself, with exclusives with Gretzky, Orr, and Team Canada. Basketball at least has total exclusivity with Jordan and autographs with Lebron.

Since I don't collect as much baseball, I would have liked to see Panini get an MLB license because I really like the Prizm line.

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Chief McHeath posted:

Where in the hell did you find those for two bucks? I would have bought every single one.

blowout cards black friday sale

e: they have a few interesting holiday sales too apparently
http://www.blowoutcards.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=443_444

someone buy a funny cheap older case for a group break

double edit: they actually have the hanger packs for 2.95 now too
http://www.blowoutcards.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=443_444&products_id=8133

streetlamp fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Dec 12, 2013

I Am Frick
Mar 26, 2004

The lesser half
of Frick and Frack

Pendergast posted:

That's interesting, because Upper Deck was known back at its inception for being the crazy, most expensive card to collect. They were deemed "premium" quality by the community in 1989 and represented the first 15-ish card pack ever to retail at 99 cents. (For comparison, 1990 Topps cello packs of 34-ish cards were also marked at 99 cents, while the 15-card packs were 50 cents, I believe)

They were so expensive, Collector's Choice was created in 1994 as a cheap, poor-person alternative - still 99 cents, while all the other companies (Topps and Upper Deck included) were hitting $1.50, $2 per pack in their own version of a price war.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
I usually bust a couple boxes of modern shiny stuff around the holidays and Amazon was blowing out 2011 Topps USA hobby boxes for 75 percent off retail and I figured what the hell since it was a nice looking base set and had a lot of first cards for fun prospect names. I had a pretty good couple of boxes:

Michael Wacha red auto/99, Austin Meadows gold auto/25, Mark Appel base auto, Albert Almora base auto

Michael Wacha jersey auto/214, Michael Wacha jersey/240, Austin Meadows red jersey auto/25, Addison Russell jersey auto/214

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Nice hits. The bad thing about prospect products is you usually have to wait 5 years to see if you got anything good!

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

Boinks posted:

Nice hits. The bad thing about prospect products is you usually have to wait 5 years to see if you got anything good!

If he wanted to flip them, Wacha is probably at his peak value right now.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Boinks posted:

I did hit a bunch of Wachas so current me is quite excited about those!

This isn't exactly a baseball story but back in 2000 I busted a box of Fleer football. One of the "big" hits was an Autographics autographed rookie of some random low draft pick quarterback, the kind where you don't even understand why that guy is in the product. I wish I could say I even remembered pulling the card, but I'd imagine 2000 me was very disappointed in getting a card of a Patriots scrub, ew.

In any event, a couple years ago I was rifling through a box of common hits and found this:

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Nice, I did the same thing, but with his rookie cards.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yeah I would flip those Wachas before people forget about him.

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
I just received two hobby boxes of 2008 Upper Deck Goudey I can't wait to bust. I really like the old-timey look of the cards.

My biggest fear in opening them is getting good redemptions that have long since expired. I've never busted older product before that had that risk, so wish me luck in not getting any of those!

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Anton Chigurh posted:

I just received two hobby boxes of 2008 Upper Deck Goudey I can't wait to bust. I really like the old-timey look of the cards.

My biggest fear in opening them is getting good redemptions that have long since expired. I've never busted older product before that had that risk, so wish me luck in not getting any of those!

Good luck, and let me know if you pull any of the mini Dave Winfield short prints!

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Hmm, 2014 Donruss has 2 autos and 1 jersey card per box for $65. Doesn't seem too bad.

I remember the last hobby box of Donruss I bought was in 2002 and I only got 2 numbered cards :mad:

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

I reorganized a lot of cards this week into a big monster box.
If anyone has any want lists for newer stuff (2009 and up), I have a lot of base and common insert stuff especially Heritage base.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I'm waiting for a partial set to come in that's supposed to be about 80% of a 2013 Topps Update set. I'll post what I need when I get it.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Boinks posted:

I'm waiting for a partial set to come in that's supposed to be about 80% of a 2013 Topps Update set. I'll post what I need when I get it.

I've got all but six cards from Series 2 for you, as well. Sending those out once I can track down those last six.

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

jumped in a triple threads break last night for shits and gigs because the giants were still available and it was 8 bucks

:huh:

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

streetlamp posted:

jumped in a triple threads break last night for shits and gigs because the giants were still available and it was 8 bucks

Dang that's a steal.

Hollerin
May 23, 2008
I keep reading that as "The Bombay Bombers."

Nice Pick!

I Am Frick
Mar 26, 2004

The lesser half
of Frick and Frack

streetlamp posted:

Wait, is that card 01/18?

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

I believe so, I don't remember if he said the number during the break but looks like it.

E: also I hate that topps does this but they all the certain colors are different numbers like /8, /18, /36, /99

streetlamp fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Dec 21, 2013

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Grabbing last minute gift cards at target and I usually throw a pack of my cousins favorite sports in with their cards. Grabbed a chrome pack for myself and blam hail Santa.

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

COMC just got my first shipment of cards today only to let me know that their first shipment promo ended with the year 2013. Sort of annoying, I would have put a little more hustle on my shipment for a free $20 basically. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
edit

gently caress I just now read about the CEO of Upper Deck drinking himself to death and though it happened this week, not a year ago.

• Locked thread