Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Rinkles posted:

I disagree with you. Violently.
Agree to disagree then, because I almost never play WRPGs for the combat.

CommissarMega posted:

Obsidian's Magical Diary? I'd play that. I'd play the poo poo out of that.
I'd definitely be in for some more Long Live the Queen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Accordion Man posted:

Agree to disagree then, because I almost never play WRPGs for the combat.

You're polite and kind, but I still think you're smoking nine kinds of crack to think any sort of quicktime event where you are literally just pushing one button very fast is a good gameplay mechanic.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Drifter posted:

You're polite and kind, but I still think you're smoking nine kinds of crack to think any sort of quicktime event where you are literally just pushing one button very fast is a good gameplay mechanic.

Actually, what you describe might be preferable to some of TWD's action events.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Rinkles posted:

Actually, what you describe might be preferable to some of TWD's action events.

I'm about to punch you very fast, buddy. Even if some poo poo gracefully floats on the top like an iceberg while other poo poo kinda dissolves into an oily slick it's still poo poo. :colbert:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

CrookedB posted:

Personally I hope it's going to be Chris Avellone's project - that is, either a high school RPG or a Chrono Trigger sequel :cheers:

(Arcanum 2 would be good too.)

What's the story behind this impossible Chrono Trigger sequel?

CrookedB
Jun 27, 2011

Stupid newbee

MikeJF posted:

What's the story behind this impossible Chrono Trigger sequel?

Just some interviews with Chris Avellone and Feargus Urquhart.

Urquhart posted:

Since Obsidian and Square Enix have been conversing for some time, I asked Urquhart if there was any franchise other than Dungeon Siege 3 they would like to work on.

Urquhart snickered and sarcastically said, “Chocobo Racing.” He followed up with a more serious response, “If I could come across everything that I played I would have to go with Chrono Trigger. I think Chrono Trigger was one I really enjoyed.”

And how would you make Chrono Trigger more of a Western RPG?

“It’s tough because a lot of the Japanese RPGs have very specific functions for everything. There is very specific item progression, very specific class progression, very specific everything. I think… I don’t know I’d have to think about it,” Urquhart pondered.

http://www.siliconera.com/2010/07/06/obsidian-would-like-to-work-on-chrono-trigger/#1I2zSdm0mPYerZCw.99

Avellone posted:

Chrono Trigger was clearly an RPG to me - one of the best ever, even. And the amount of choices and consequences you had in that game, like within the first hour, was just excellent.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/obsidians-chris-avellone-interview

So, basically Urquhart once mentioned they wouldn't mind doing a Chrono Trigger game, and if they did, I doubt anyone else except Avellone could be the project lead, given his enthusiasm for the game.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I would pay a metric shitton of money towards an official Chrono Trigger sequel by anyone, I am also one of the 3.7 mutants on the planet who really enjoyed Chrono Cross.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

AnonSpore posted:

I would pay a metric shitton of money towards an official Chrono Trigger sequel by anyone, I am also one of the 3.7 mutants on the planet who really enjoyed Chrono Cross.

Cool, we only need to find 1.7 more. I love Chrono Cross, I still have the original discs.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Cool, we only need to find 1.7 more. I love Chrono Cross, I still have the original discs.

You got one here. I just smile and ignore the story and enjoy the pretty music/graphics/battle.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

AnonSpore posted:

This reminds me, I need to play through Crimson Echoes already...

Sorry gents but Chrono Cross didn't do it for me. CT for lyfe.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I love the hypothetical finished version of Chrono Cross where they didn't run out of time and dump an entire disc's worth of content and plot clarification into some ghosts telling it to you on the beach before the final fight and cut Magus/Janus from the game and just change what was there to Guile and they had time to polish discs one and two properly.

I do wonder if it was one of those games (cough FF7 cough) where the Japanese script was much clearer than the English one.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Dec 11, 2013

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

MikeJF posted:

I love the hypothetical finished version of Chrono Cross where they didn't run out of time and dump an entire disc's worth of content and plot clarification into some ghosts telling it to you on the beach before the final fight.

Yeah, that's what Chrono Cross needed: more Chrono Cross.

DancingPenguin
Nov 27, 2012

I ish kakadu.
Backers of Stonehearth, check your e-mail.
There is a Humble page up for it now, where the first Alpha will be available for download December 30th. :dance:

Orv
May 4, 2011

DancingPenguin posted:

Backers of Stonehearth, check your e-mail.
There is a Humble page up for it now, where the first Alpha will be available for download December 30th. :dance:

E: There was a key here; no longer.

Orv fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Dec 12, 2013

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Orv posted:

E: There was a key here; no longer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unJ_1nVGOqk

:wink:

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

RadicalR posted:

You got one here. I just smile and ignore the story and enjoy the pretty music/graphics/battle.

Pretty much this. You cant hate a game that has such an amazing soundtrack, and most jRPGs dont make much sense anyways if you think about them too hard. Crono Cross just took it to a whole new level.

Some sort of sequel to CT/CC would be my dream kickstarter, and if Torment is getting a sequel I can dare to dream.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Whatever happens, I just want that big fat robot cat to keep singing. Needs to be voiced, not text.

RoanHorse
Dec 12, 2013

A kickstarter to educate the youth about the constitution!
The story -

quote:

Little-known Founding Father wannabe Jefferson Quincy Washington III, Esq. has lost the Seven Articles of the United States Constitution. Now, James Madison - the Father of the Constitution - has sent YOU on a great quest to find and recover all seven articles - just in time for the Founders to sign the Constitution for Constitution Day. Each Founder that they meet will send them on a minigame adventure that will lead them to the next article.

As the game progresses, players will be asked questions throughout the game that will test their knowledge while at the same time ensure that they are having fun—teaching students about the Constitution, American history, and government using, in the words of one Liberty Day teacher, “camouflage!"
And what a camouflage Liberty Day has gotten for itself!

The introduction to that podcast, if you don't want to listen to it (I know I don't), is a bit of a country song with an old white man saying "Government is not the solution to our problem. Government is the problem." Followed by another white man saying "I only have one thing to say to the tax increasers: Go ahead, make my day." I couldn't listen beyond that because the actual cast's audio came out garbled.

And don't forget, Kickstarters are charities this Kickstarter is for a nonprofit LLC!

quote:

Founded in 1996 by Andy McKean and his late wife Kathy, Liberty Day is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to educating American students about the U.S. Constitution, Declaration of Independence, and American government.

Surprisingly, they didn't lie about that.

If you contribute you have a chance to win this sweetass poster!

Wait, I thought raffles weren't allowed on Kickstarter?

lizzyinthesky
Mar 24, 2010

Take drugs! Kill a bear!
Hey guys guess what's out tomorrow.

It's just a stress test thing I guess but there's stuff to be downloaded and ogled at very least.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kissltd/project-nimbus This mech game that popped up looks kind of cool, like Strike Suit Zero with just the mech parts put in (or rather, Omega Boost). It's on Greenlight too, I think I voted it up.

Also, Wings Remastered hit its goal, for anyone who wanted to know.

Zeether fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Dec 12, 2013

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

You're in the wrong thread bud. You're looking for this one.

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.

elf help book posted:

Yeah, that's what Chrono Cross needed: more Chrono Cross.

I can understand where he is coming from. The problem with killing off Crono, Lucca and Marle is that it feels cheapened on the way its presented. If they could have given it the proper pathos, it could have felt like a decent epilogue...they didn't live happily ever after.

Guile was the worst. He is an amnesiac Magus but his story never got anywhere. I could almost see the scene where Serge, Kid and Guile get the letter that Lucca gave to that scientist lady. Where Lucca explains to Kid that she almost expected someone from those terminated futures to come looking for her and her friends. When she spoke directly to Magus/Janus, it could have been a moment in which Guile recovers his memory.

The ending where you rescue Schala would have worked much better without the idiotic nonsense about sperm and eggs.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I still can't get over how Dalton of all characters managed to beat Crono, Lucca, and Marle. Dalton.

RoanHorse
Dec 12, 2013

Obsurveyor posted:

You're in the wrong thread bud. You're looking for this one.
Oh, sorry!

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
Fight The Dragon looks like it could be really neat. Co-op hack and slash with a level editor / level sharing system, and of course, tons of loot.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

CrookedB posted:

In that case, I'd rather Obsidian did a visual novel. Anything is better than The Walkind Dead-style QTE "combat", in my opinion.

I suspect this wasn't a serious request. But I'd absolutely play/read an Avellone penned visual novel.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Hey, they changed your Backer History page, added tick boxes to indicate whether you've received rewards or not, and split the unsuccessful and cancelled projects to their own category down the bottom. Handy change that!

Must have been a recent change, I'm sure I saw the old and useless page only a few days ago.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Dec 13, 2013

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

That is a great change. Super useful.

Al Baron
Nov 12, 2007
They were all out of Marquess.
Would you folks count alphas/beta as 'delivered'?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Not unless it's explicitly stated that's how the Kickstarter was going to be handled.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Al Baron posted:

Would you folks count alphas/beta as 'delivered'?

I mean its all your own call, dude. I'm using 'delivered' as a way to mark off "This guy gave me everything he said he would, and I can forget about this kickstarter now", so in that case, no. That way I can look back at which things are unchecked and go "oh man, I did play the beta for ____, but did I ever get that other thing I was promised?" Now that I've backed quite a few projects, its good to have a reminder that you didn't get something you were owed, so you know to go send them some messages.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I'm not seeing a Leisure Suit Larry topic anymore in live threads so I might as well post this here. Al Lowe left Replay games at the end of his contract, Replay wrote a statement ascribed to Lowe putting his departure in the rosiest of terms. Lowe says he had nothing to do with the statement, and said he left for various reasons including a 2012 incident involving Replay CEO Paul Trowe. What was this incident you might ask?

Well, Paul Trowe apparently sent indecent materials to a 15 year old girl. Trowe who is gay or some facsimile there of supposedly had some sort of thing going on with some other guy who was involved with this underage girl. I thought he looked like a creepy rear end in a top hat from the offset, and am not all that surprised.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I thought we didn't have a LLL topic anymore because nobody cared about LLL. :shrug:

But yup. It sucks that a young kid was involved in something like that. Also, going back to fill out some stuff because of the Kickstarter update has helped me realize I had been missing a thing or two that I've contacted the the Kickstarter project teams about. Good for Kickstarter for having a system like this in place; super useful.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Dec 13, 2013

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, that new checklist helped me to realize that a few projects I backed haven't updated in months. Fortunately they were all small ones, but bleah. :(

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Drifter posted:

I thought we didn't have a LLL topic anymore because nobody cared about LLL. :shrug:
I didn't kickstart it at the time, and now I'm glad.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Casimir Radon posted:

I didn't kickstart it at the time, and now I'm glad.

I didn't back it because it's Leisure Suit Larry, and figured that if I was that hard up for that type of poo poo I may as well just jerk off to DeviantArt.com webcomics instead for free.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Drifter posted:

I didn't back it because it's Leisure Suit Larry, and figured that if I was that hard up for that type of poo poo I may as well just jerk off to DeviantArt.com webcomics instead for free.
LSLs juvenile humor can be kind of entertaining for an afternoon.

Bonus:

RPS posted:

In November this year, Trowe outed a transexual woman and former colleague via his Twitter account, having previously said to her, “you’re the worst looking transsexual I have ever seen” on her Facebook wall. I’m not linking to this, since it could only cause further pain for the recipient, but have seen the statements first hand. They come across as purely spiteful, revenge for negative remarks made about Trowe.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

That's pretty sad, since there are a number of transsexuals in the game industry, the most prominent of which was the late Dani Bunton Berry, who created M.U.L.E. and got the first Lifetime Achievement Award from the CGDA; other winners include people like Sid Meier and Shigeru Miyamoto so it's basically the "you are one of the dieties of the game industry" award.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
I've seen various comments that people should have known not to trust him since 1988 (but I've no idea if the person that pops up when you google "Paul Trowe 1988" is the same guy or not) - he's pretty obviously been at least a bit of a oval office since he started attacking all the (other?) Sierra Online veterans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
The Leisure Suit Larry remake is quite possibly one of the most misguided and horror releases in recent memory for a large number of reason so gently caress it. That entire company seems to have a terminal case of Not Getting It.