Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I guess I'm behind the times, because I just realized there was a minicon 3-pack in one of the upcoming deluxe waves, and they're Ammonites!

How many other Transformers toys are there of "aliens" - ie not Cybertronians or humans? Besides the -master partners, I can think of maybe Kremzeek and the minicars that got repainted into Gobots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Does Alpha-Q (quintesson from Energon) count

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Rita Repulsa posted:

Does Alpha-Q (quintesson from Energon) count

heh heh alfuck you

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Nah, my Shockwave has the weapon issue too. The outer shell of it barely holds onto the barrels of the inner gun, and only the very tips at that.

Edit: Does the Animorphs line count?

Captain Blaargh
Apr 27, 2007

Yeah yeah yeah. How about some Scotch whiskey? You got any of that around here, or just a bunch of nonsense words?

Blackheart posted:

Your other complaints are true, but the loose gun must be on your figure (or some sort of mistransformation) since it's not common at all. I still like the lil' guy, and apparently he's not that big in the game either.

The front of my Shockwave's gun also likes to slide off if you look at it funny, so I tend not to have it pointing down when posing him in robot mode. Probably just an occasional quirk of the mold. Puny as he may be I'm with you on liking the littlest cyclops. His menacing space sled alt mode is oddly charming to me too.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I misunderstood and thought the whole weapon came off easily. If he meant that the silver tip slides too easily from the tri laser thingy then yeah, it appears some people have that issue (again, luckily mine doesn't)

Phy posted:

I guess I'm behind the times, because I just realized there was a minicon 3-pack in one of the upcoming deluxe waves, and they're Ammonites!

I'm actually pretty excited to get that guy, looks like one good combiner.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

MEATY MARTHA posted:

Edit: Does the Animorphs line count?

The Beast Wars Mutants were repurposed Animorph toys that were going to be Animoph toys before the line was axed.

You can see the Raptor/Wolverine robot face is actually an Andalite.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
Thundertron? I think he's not Cybertronian.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Phy posted:

Gun drat you don't make me buy them argh now I must :(

Huh only $13 to begin with on bbts, I guess it isn't even popular.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
So is that Transformer Legends Game event also tied into what toys come out as well?

Because they're showing Nova Prime and Axer and Axer has a new body that is not the G1 body.

And the other three bots, Roadbuster, Galvatron and Thunderwing are all their Generations incarnations.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

SpikeMcclane posted:

Thundertron? I think he's not Cybertronian.

What was his deal? Was he in the show?

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

Veg posted:

What was his deal? Was he in the show?

He was in one of the Aligned continuity novels. Exiles, I think. He hates Cybertronians because they destroyed his planet or his city or something and is basically a robo-space pirate. The book builds up his identity in a weird way like it's some kind of reveal when they say who he is, but since he's a brand new character it's hard to understand why the author thought anyone would be impressed or surprised by it. He's a pretty cool figure and fairly unique in the TFP line. He tends to clog the shelves around here, probably because nobody knows who he is and he looks pretty lame in the package due to mistransformation.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
I have a great Secret Santa! Check out all this loot!

Even better, it all came in a box--which I will now use for my own giftee! Woooooo free box

Thanks!

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.
I got a Waspinator and Skids at retail today. At a TRU no less. I can't even remember the last time I found "the latest and greatest" at a TRU.

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

I really want to go hunting for them, but I can't fathom trying to hit a TRU or Target on the weekend this close to Christmas.

This wave is still expected to be floating around in January, right?

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Absolutely. We'll be sick of seeing them on the pegs by February, I'm sure.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006
TFW put up a hi-res gallery of generations Doubledealer, the blitzwing remold. I'm amazed how good the mold works for that character. Anyway, was hoping one of you guys who owns blitzwing could confirm it but it looks like the nosecone of the jet is slightly different to me. It looks a little smaller and maybe hard plastic this time, but I can't tell for sure.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

LightsGameraAction posted:

TFW put up a hi-res gallery of generations Doubledealer, the blitzwing remold. I'm amazed how good the mold works for that character. Anyway, was hoping one of you guys who owns blitzwing could confirm it but it looks like the nosecone of the jet is slightly different to me. It looks a little smaller and maybe hard plastic this time, but I can't tell for sure.

Seems identical to me.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Yeah, looks the same to me, too.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
Can we talk toy robot storage and display solutions?

For storage, I'm thinking my ideal solution would be something similar to a Christmas tree ornament box with divided sections where I could put a single bot with accessories and instructions. That would then be layered in a larger container, maybe 2 or 3 layers. I'd have different sizes of dividers for deluxe and similar size bots. Larger 3rd party, Masterpiece and Voyager would have something similar but larger and probably without layers. I don't know if something like this exists, but I'm just imagining what I would like if anything were possible. Do any of you have a particularly clever and/or appropriate storage solution?

For display, I do like the Ikea Detolf, which seems to be what a lot of collectors are using these days. But I would need at least 4 of those things, customize them to include additional shelves, and probably figure out some kind of lighting. Other than that I guess some bookcase type of setup could work. Maybe some of you could share your display setups?

This is all coming up because I'm moving and working on packing my toys and trying to determine where they will live in my new place. I'd like to display all of them, but what is most likely going to happen is I'll keep them in a big plastic bin until I feel the need to play with them at which point they will slowly take over my desk/office space, which is what eventually happened over the course of this past year.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

GrimGypsy posted:

I really want to go hunting for them, but I can't fathom trying to hit a TRU or Target on the weekend this close to Christmas.

This wave is still expected to be floating around in January, right?

I picked them up at a Wally World today (sans goldbug, like I need another fukken bumblebee), $9.96 each too. North Texas area for reference, seems they're moving out at a pretty good clip.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TheDK posted:

For storage, I'm thinking my ideal solution would be something similar to a Christmas tree ornament box with divided sections where I could put a single bot with accessories and instructions. That would then be layered in a larger container, maybe 2 or 3 layers. I'd have different sizes of dividers for deluxe and similar size bots. Larger 3rd party, Masterpiece and Voyager would have something similar but larger and probably without layers. I don't know if something like this exists, but I'm just imagining what I would like if anything were possible. Do any of you have a particularly clever and/or appropriate storage solution?

For display, I do like the Ikea Detolf, which seems to be what a lot of collectors are using these days. But I would need at least 4 of those things, customize them to include additional shelves, and probably figure out some kind of lighting. Other than that I guess some bookcase type of setup could work. Maybe some of you could share your display setups?

This is all coming up because I'm moving and working on packing my toys and trying to determine where they will live in my new place. I'd like to display all of them, but what is most likely going to happen is I'll keep them in a big plastic bin until I feel the need to play with them at which point they will slowly take over my desk/office space, which is what eventually happened over the course of this past year.

The only problem is that IKEA has put the Detolfs on hiatus for now. If your local store doesn't have them they can't get any more.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Secret Santa gift sent out today, hope you like it!

Secht
Oct 5, 2012

LightsGameraAction posted:

It's the same rubber plastic as Blitzwing. Doubledealers head is smaller, so things go in 'better' but mine isn't perfect. Much better than Blitzwing though.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Found the Skids wave at Target tonight, $9.49 each was too sweet of a deal to pass up. Apparently Walmart is getting them right now too at $9.96 each.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Wow! I really like Orion Pax, Trailcutter, Generations Thundercracker and Hoist. All just really solid deluxes, maybe some gappy bits here and there but honestly Orion Pax and the two trucks have such excellent articulation it's easily overlooked.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Yeah, I think I said it a while back but don't pass on Orion Pax thinking "eh, it's another Prime". It's a really well made figure, the accessories rock, the transformation is interesting and the articulation is tops.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I wonder if my Secret Santa got me a Skids... :ohdear:

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

TheDK posted:

Regarding your storage idea, that would be great. You can take a large box and make your own dividers for each bot. I always suggest storing any bot in it's most "stable" form where the least amount of pieces can pop off or suffer damage. Usually that's always it's alt form, but that's your discretion. If you want to make the effort you can also line the bottom with bubble wrap and place another between each "layer" of figures along with a another layer of cardboard for stability. Of course that's a ton of work for a large number of figures. So if you have a lot, I suggest large ziploc bags for groups of your smaller figures and a quick roll of taped together bubble wrap for larger and older ones. Also, all of them can go in large Rubbermaid containers.

Now displaying. As you guessed, Detolfs are the standard in collector glass cases. Cheap and easy. However as previously stated, unless you actually live near an Ikea, good loving luck getting one. Ikea actually has LED lighting sets specifically for Detolfs and other pieces of Ikea furniture, but they're kinda lovely so if you want to take the easy way you need to get two of these and affix one on top of the front and back of each shelf like this:

Instead, most people now wire together LED strips for each shelf to get the type of lighting they want. You can see what I mean here. Not a ton of work, probably a day's worth of placing and making everything look clean and tidy. Plus you get a lot more options in exactly how you want to light each shelf when you wire your own.

As far as bookshelves go, if you live near a Big Lots they sell tall bookshelves for like, 30 bucks. That's what I use. In fact I desperately need to get another one. :v:

SpazmasterX fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Dec 15, 2013

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
That's a hell of a lot of Tony.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Amazon has a preorder up for Transformers Legacy: A Celebration of Transformers Package Art

Remember the thrill of tearing open a gift on Christmas morning, discovering a brand-new Transformer in a shiny new box? While the toys were amazing in their own right, what made the packages stand head-and-shoulders above the myriad competing action figures on shelves was the stunning box art. Transformers: Legacy collects hundreds of beautifully airbrushed paintings from the iconic first decade of The Transformers. Hasbro, Takara, and private collectors opened their archives, yielding an unparalled level of quality. Essays and interviews from the original illustrators give unprecedented insight into the process behind the art. This book is chock-full of extras, including never-before-seen artwork from toys that never were, original design sketches, catalog artwork, and more.

Sounds pretty good to me.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

SpazmasterX posted:

good stuff about storage/display
This is some good stuff about storage and display, thanks! I think once I get settled in my new place I'll try to invest in a long-term storage solution and start small with display cases.

That is a :krad: Iron Man display though, and that custom lighting looks great. I'd love to do something like that.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
If you're going to do your own LEDs, order a 5m reel of flexible strip LEDs, like from here:

http://ledlightsworld.com

Play around with it, and you'll realize you can do anything you want to do with them.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Its getting Beast Warsy in here

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

GD_American posted:

If you're going to do your own LEDs, order a 5m reel of flexible strip LEDs, like from here:

http://ledlightsworld.com

Play around with it, and you'll realize you can do anything you want to do with them.

That's true. In addition to being able to use as much or few as you want in any placement you want, you can do crazy poo poo like set up rotating colors or a remote switch to turn them on.

Although there are ways to set up a remote switch for something like the Dioder sets.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Joe Fisto posted:

Its getting Beast Warsy in here

They absolutely ruin whatever Generations shelf they're on because they both look so drastically different than any of the other toys. But they're both great figures. Rhinox is probably the best engineered voyager in the entire line. The way he hides his robot mode and everything is really well done.

They need some weird rear end G1 repaints stat. Have waspinator be one of the lesser Insecticons(the ones that were brightly colored not the black and purple ones) and just make Rhinox one of the pretender guys that turn into an animal(generations rhinox is still a shell former and a shell former is close enough to a Pretender) :colbert: .

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
You can put Waspinator and Rhinox with Universe 2.0 Cheetor and Dinobot, but sadly those two guys kinda suck and are worse than their original Beast Wars toys from 1996. Honestly, Universe 2.0 was probably the weakest Universe line. It gave us Hot Shot, Cheetor, Dinobot, Galvatron, Tankor\Octane, Ironhide and Ratchet, who are all kind of on the crap side. Inferno, Cyclonus, and the Ultras were good, at least.

I think Cheetor, Dinobot and RTS Laser Prime\TFCC Scourge are like the only classics toys that are actually worse than the originals they were based on that came out in the 90s. Oh, and Universe 2.0 Galvatron is a less fun toy than G1 Galvatron... who came out in 1986. That's kinda shameful. I think that's the sole classics figure with that dubious honor.

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!

The Taint Reaper posted:

They absolutely ruin whatever Generations shelf they're on because they both look so drastically different than any of the other toys. But they're both great figures. Rhinox is probably the best engineered voyager in the entire line. The way he hides his robot mode and everything is really well done.

They need some weird rear end G1 repaints stat. Have waspinator be one of the lesser Insecticons(the ones that were brightly colored not the black and purple ones) and just make Rhinox one of the pretender guys that turn into an animal(generations rhinox is still a shell former and a shell former is close enough to a Pretender) :colbert: .

New Stanglehold, New Stanglehold! Bizare garishly clad Rhino on the outside, prowrestler Burt Reynolds robot on the inside.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Bluestreak MP just hit HLJ! Hoping it gets here before Christmas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
So the Generations Minicon team actually isn't garbage. They apparently stay pretty well together in combined robot mode and they're much bigger than the previous four Generations minicons.

They can also pose in the combined robot mode as well.....and you can also attach minicons onto the combiner minicons.

Deluxe Starscream has two minicon ports as well. So you're able to put Panhandler and Drivetrain onto a Decepticon finally.

Also speaking of lesser known market six robots. How much of a redeco is Generations Wreckloose? The one that came in the wave with the redco Backstop and the repackage of Undermine?

I thought Wreckloose was a straight repackage up until now. But I can't find any comparison videos or images. Because I have Backstop and always thought he was the lone redeco in the group.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Dec 16, 2013