Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
That mechanic would be a lot better if it were timing rather than mashing based.

I think the mechanic is good though, it feels empowering to do a 4 second stun vs a creature, and feels crappy to get hit by a 4 second stun. The implementation means that it doesn't feel weird when CC has diminished base effects on characters rather than monsters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uhrm
Apr 11, 2012

Waterbed posted:

That mechanic would be a lot better if it were timing rather than mashing based.

Why would you want to add QTEs to the combat in an MMO?

Grouchy Smurf
Mar 12, 2012

"Interesting Quote"
-Interesting guy
People that complain about the stun-brake mechanic, should wait until they actually play the game.
It is way worse than what you guys imagine.

Strategy
Jul 1, 2002

Grouchy Smurf posted:

People that complain about the stun-brake mechanic, should wait until they actually play the game.

Seconded, its seriously bad.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Uhrm posted:

Why would you want to add QTEs to the combat in an MMO?

Well it's already a QTE, it would just be a less bad QTE.

The core idea behind is it adds an understandable mechanic as to why CC is shorter in PVP, and it feels better than just being stunned for whatever amount of seconds. It's a good bridge between the two. So basically the idea is make the actually bad part of it (mashing like a dumblord in CC) less bad.

Make it so there's an earliest break point, and if you hit it as soon as you break past that point, you break the CC. You can make it macroable, or you can mash it out. The idea here is make it easier to do while still keeping the core "it adds invisible counterplay that secretly makes CC less frustrating in PvP and very easy to understand".

This is of course, hoping that Carbine implemented it for these reasons.

anime was right fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Dec 12, 2013

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

Waterbed posted:

Well it's already a QTE, it would just be a less bad QTE.

The core idea behind is it adds an understandable mechanic as to why CC is shorter in PVP, and it feels better than just being stunned for whatever amount of seconds. It's a good bridge between the two. So basically the idea is make the actually bad part of it (mashing like a dumblord in CC) less bad.

Make it so there's an earliest break point, and if you hit it as soon as you break past that point, you break the CC. You can make it macroable, or you can mash it out. The idea here is make it easier to do while still keeping the core "it adds invisible counterplay that secretly makes CC less frustrating in PvP and very easy to understand".

This is of course, hoping that Carbine implemented it for these reasons.

It's an odd mechanic, but I can imagine the design process was entirely born from the simple concept: People do not like losing control.

Stuns in all games are frustrating, they represent a 100% loss of control. You can't do a single thing - UNLESS you bring some form of stun break, or ANTI-stun. People remember the PvP trinkets in WoW, they were a chance to remove a stun - then suffer through a cooldown when you get stunned again.

What Wildstar is doing, is making sure that control isn't lost - instead, it's transferred. You may have lost control of you character, but you have gained control over how long that stun will last. It isn't a perfect science, but the idea that the primary player frustration with a mechanic like a stun is based off control, they have managed to address the concept of no longer losing 'complete' control.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

a cock shaped fruit posted:

What Wildstar is doing, is making sure that control isn't lost - instead, it's transferred. You may have lost control of you character, but you have gained control over how long that stun will last. It isn't a perfect science, but the idea that the primary player frustration with a mechanic like a stun is based off control, they have managed to address the concept of no longer losing 'complete' control.

Pretty sure this sounds just like how Champions Online handles stuns and holds. It's kind of awful there, you mash a key to make the gauge go down faster, slightly better than being able to do nothing, but still kind of an 'ugh, again' kind of mechanic.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

The quality of the Dev Speak videos really is exceptional. Each one just hooks me into the game further, even though I promised myself I wouldn't get over-hyped. drat.

Engineer is definitely going to be my first tank class.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

BadLlama posted:

Let's be real here, too much CC really is horrible and completely un-fun to play with, just like no CC turns it into an un-fun who can get bigger numbers first game. I hope they find a good balance.

Pretty much anything is better than "mash a button to get out of cc." It's not hard to find a good balance without such a dumb thrown together mechanic. Even if it was timing based that'd just take you out of game. Hey you're kiting around and shooting poo poo at this guy and he stunned you, click when the circles pop up to get out of it!

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

Grouchy Smurf posted:

To be fair, this could be said for every aspect of the game because the hype machine is in full effect, and people's imaginations are running wild that the game will be all sunshine and lollipops and blowjobs, the most perfect game ever. And it is, until you play it.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

It's an odd mechanic, but I can imagine the design process was entirely born from the simple concept: People do not like losing control.

You'll notice that for the most part people are only complaining about stun though. Their variations on the other CC types are great!

This one happens to be even more annoying than waiting out a full duration stun though, which is sort of remarkable in itself.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

THE PWNER posted:

Pretty much anything is better than "mash a button to get out of cc."

This is true. But in this case it goes a level deeper because "mash a button to get out of cc" is better than "Be stunned and wait for your turn to fight back."

I am not saying that this system is the solution to the issue with "CC is the most frustrating thing ever" but the fact that it exists at all shows that developers, in particular the Wildstar guys, are aware that people don't like it at all and are trying to resolve it.

hampig posted:

You'll notice that for the most part people are only complaining about stun though. Their variations on the other CC types are great!

Oh absolutely! the disarm mechanic, tied in with the fact you can sprint AND dash in this game is brilliant, and it strikes the perfect cord of "Giving the player (VICTIM) interaction to dampen the effect of the player (ATTACKER)." It's rewarding gameplay in the purest sense.

Because honestly, we've all played MMO's and we all know that lovely feeling you get when you are stunned, and mere seconds feel like an eternity and you are watching your health bar drain, and you wish there was literally ANYTHING you could do - no matter how ridiculous.

a cock shaped fruit fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Dec 12, 2013

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

This is true. But in this case it goes a level deeper because "mash a button to get out of cc" is better than "Be stunned and wait for your turn to fight back."

I am not saying that this system is the solution to the issue with "CC is the most frustrating thing ever" but the fact that it exists at all shows that developers, in particular the Wildstar guys, are aware that people don't like it at all and are trying to resolve it.

Oh absolutely! the disarm mechanic, tied in with the fact you can sprint AND dash in this game is brilliant, and it strikes the perfect cord of "Giving the player (VICTIM) interaction to dampen the effect of the player (ATTACKER)." It's rewarding gameplay in the purest sense.

Because honestly, we've all played MMO's and we all know that lovely feeling you get when you are stunned, and mere seconds feel like an eternity and you are watching your health bar drain, and you wish there was literally ANYTHING you could do - no matter how ridiculous.

It's not a level deeper, it's just an annoying way to make stuns last less time in PvP. Smashing a button is dumb and pointless and strictly better than not button mashing, why not just make the CC shorter and skip the dumb mashing.

Getting your weapon is a cool mechanic for sure and is not even close to button mashing out of stun in implementation.

Am I the only one that doesn't get a lovely feeling when stunned? It's an obstacle you have to plan around. It provides great give and take (provided they can't be chained, anyway). I usually feel good coming out of a stun because it means I took the necessary precautions to not have it end my fight.

Luminous posted:

On the other hand, I'd find it a lot more interesting if they gave certain skills a secondary behavior for reducing or removing stuns and putting that skill on cooldown (or on a reduced cooldown). This gives a means of escape, but it has a trade-off that requires actual thought and that doesn't just serve as an immediate nerf to another person's skill set.

I actually like this idea a good bit. You can burn some of your more powerful attacks to get out of the stun. You get out a bit earlier but have to wait on your abilities to run a cooldown. On the other hand it's kind of nonsensical.

Bashez fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Dec 12, 2013

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

Bashez posted:

Am I the only one that doesn't get a lovely feeling when stunned? It's an obstacle you have to plan around. It provides great give and take (provided they can't be chained, anyway). I usually feel good coming out of a stun because it means I took the necessary precautions to not have it end my fight.

Not the only one, but I would confidently call you in the minority.

And generally I am not saying it's an ideal system - it's just a step in the right direction from a game development standpoint and I hope more devs take note.

a cock shaped fruit fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Dec 12, 2013

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
The stun break mechanic is okay, they just need to decrease the amount of mashing since it sometimes requires so much that you might as well just wait out the CC.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

BadLlama posted:

Let's be real here, too much CC really is horrible and completely un-fun to play with, just like no CC turns it into an un-fun who can get bigger numbers first game. I hope they find a good balance.

I see you haven't played City of Heroes. :colbert:

The key is to not take control completely away from players. Who CARES if you can stun a mob for 20 seconds - it's a bunch of pixels on a screen, it doesn't have feelings or get frustrated. But making the play mash a button is going to be annoying as hell about 5 minutes in - why not instead have stun mix up your movement and attack/power buttons ("oh poo poo I pressed D and it did my AoE, but 1 is strafe left, wtf") which is more in line with their philosophy and hindering players while never taking full control away.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

WarLocke posted:

The key is to not take control completely away from players. Who CARES if you can stun a mob for 20 seconds - it's a bunch of pixels on a screen, it doesn't have feelings or get frustrated. But making the play mash a button is going to be annoying as hell about 5 minutes in - why not instead have stun mix up your movement and attack/power buttons ("oh poo poo I pressed D and it did my AoE, but 1 is strafe left, wtf") which is more in line with their philosophy and hindering players while never taking full control away.

Not sure if you are saying "This is how they should do things" or "This is how CoX does things" because what you suggest IS in the game, it's the 'disorient' mechanic.

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
That's for mixing up movement keys. He is suggesting mixing up your movement keys with your ability key binds.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Manifest Dynasty posted:

That's for mixing up movement keys. He is suggesting mixing up your movement keys with your ability key binds.

Yeah, basically. Nobody enjoys the 'stand there for 10 seconds because you're stunned' mechanic, and I am willing to bet nobody is going to enjoy the 'mash X to get out of stun' mechanic either. And I forgot the disorient thing was already in, but honestly I think at this point they should just make 'stun' and 'disorient' the same effect: mobs get stunned, players get disoriented. That seems like the simplest compromise to me.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
CC works in something like Dota where stuns have very high costs and cooldowns (at least in the early game), whereas for MMO PvP it's aggravating because the opportunity costs for those CC abilities are comparatively low. So you'll often end up chain-stunned for something like 10 seconds having to just stand there doing nothing if you don't have some kind of CC remover active.

If they do have stuns for PvP in Wildstar, they need to have short durations, long cooldowns, or some combination of the two.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011
Reading through the CC discussion, I agree with the idea that it'd probably be better to just straight nix stuns from the (PvP at least) game for alternative forms of CC that actually have interesting/skill-based actions rather than spamming a button (see: their other CC remedies).

Not sure of all the types of Wildstar CC, but it seems like, with their more-movement based gameplay, a barrier-type CC would be cool. When I say barrier, I'm specifically thinking of Anivia's Crystallize ability (makes an Ice Wall a distance from the caster that blocks the path of someone running directly away, forcing them to maneuver around it or burn a flash/teleport ability) from League of Legends. It could also have some use in PvE by forcing them to path around or, defensively, stopping incoming attacks whilst it's in the way.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

bUm posted:

Reading through the CC discussion, I agree with the idea that it'd probably be better to just straight nix stuns from the (PvP at least) game for alternative forms of CC that actually have interesting/skill-based actions rather than spamming a button (see: their other CC remedies).

Not sure of all the types of Wildstar CC, but it seems like, with their more-movement based gameplay, a barrier-type CC would be cool. When I say barrier, I'm specifically thinking of Anivia's Crystallize ability (makes an Ice Wall a distance from the caster that blocks the path of someone running directly away, forcing them to maneuver around it or burn a flash/teleport ability) from League of Legends. It could also have some use in PvE by forcing them to path around or, defensively, stopping incoming attacks whilst it's in the way.

Yeah, stuns being replaced by more interesting forms of CC would be a welcome change of pace. They seem to be a standard in games, and it's fine from a PvE standpoint but they just plain suck in PvP.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

WarLocke posted:

Stun shouldn't be a thing at all in my opinion.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....

grrarg posted:

To be fair, this could be said for every aspect of the game because the hype machine is in full effect, and people's imaginations are running wild that the game will be all sunshine and lollipops and blowjobs, the most perfect game ever. And it is, until you play it.

Hate to say it but I played the beta for a few days and now I just log on to see if they have fixed the optimization/removed the terrible slasher sound effect on the claws attacks and they haven't so I just log out and don't play. I feel bad because I have been playing MMOs for over 14 years now and they are my favorite type of game but something about WildStar just feels ... off.

It is almost criminal how bad this game runs on most computers additionally. I've tried it on 5 different ones and it doesn't make a lick of difference what you got in the machine. Yeah, beta and all, but make the beta playable.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Meowbot posted:

Hate to say it but I played the beta for a few days and now I just log on to see if they have fixed the optimization/removed the terrible slasher sound effect on the claws attacks and they haven't so I just log out and don't play. I feel bad because I have been playing MMOs for over 14 years now and they are my favorite type of game but something about WildStar just feels ... off.

It is almost criminal how bad this game runs on most computers additionally. I've tried it on 5 different ones and it doesn't make a lick of difference what you got in the machine. Yeah, beta and all, but make the beta playable.

I hope you made a forum post (or added your name to a thread that probably exists) since at least one other person here mentioned the claw sound. You could also try a different class since it's a beta and all progress will be deleted anyway (no point clinging to your "main").

The "criminal" levels of bad performance on "most computers" seems disingenuous. Of people I know playing, 0/3 have notable performance issues; there doesn't seem to be an overwhelming number (or even significant, given the closed beta phase) of complaints about it either to justify doom-and-gloom level statements over it.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
I had really bad lag in the starting zone during the stress test but after that the game ran really smoothly.

Course I don't know how much of this is "NDA :ssh:" so nevermind

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
ITT: Casual PVPers(and I use this term loosely) complaining about stun mechanics. Bunch of scrubs, the lot of you. In all seriousness though the CC/Stun mechanics in this game are somewhere between not bad and not terrible. Definitely played MMOs where you could be incaped or stunned for 20+ seconds.

From a PVP perspective I think CCs are important specifically when you're looking at melee range vs ranged combat. The other option is to just give everyone tons of gaps closers, see RIFTs riftblade to see how stupid that can get.

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Really quite silly indeed.

I think I'm somewhere in the middle when it comes to keymashing vs. the annoyance of being stunlocked. To me though, the annoying part of CC is not losing control but that it feels very sudden and jarring in a somewhat fast-paced game. Not having CCs at all on the other hand just seems like a different kind of step backwards.

Clearly the dev team are capable of designing actually fun mechanics for breaking cc (i.e. disarm.), so if the mashing stun-break turns out to be something a large majority complains about I doubt it'll last. I've not developed RSI yet from the various buttonmashing games I've played over the past twenty years or so, but let's just say I certainly won't complain if they find a better mechanic for it, either.

Not the end of the world, either way. :shrug:

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Boom! The sound of the press NDA being lifted (on level 1-15 content).

Lots of videos incoming by the looks of it.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
Whoa - Massively's just posted like 5 "hands-on" articles
Was there some sort of press event or NDA drop?

e: guess the answer's above

Deceptive Thinker fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Dec 12, 2013

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Tarnop posted:

Boom! The sound of the press NDA being lifted (on level 1-15 content).

Lots of videos incoming by the looks of it.

Character creation stuff:

Human
Aurin
Granok
Mordesh
Mechari
Chua
Draken
Cassian

e: More

Character Creation Overview
Dominion City
Exile City
Mounts

rap music fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Dec 12, 2013

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.

rap music posted:

Character creation stuff:

The first two videos were a girl who not only has an annoying voice, but is terribly undescriptive.

"You can use a slider to customise things like... *slides* *moves mouse to the nose and circles it* YES!"

Well it was great that I knew what you were customising when you did it!

The volume of her voice is all over the place ARGH!

Let's talk more about how stun is a terrible mechanic, and button mashing is a terrible solution, but offer no real solutions other than "just reduce the timer!"

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT
jesus christ those female models

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Wow the models have a lot of interesting combinations. Two Drakens can look like two separate races

edit: But yeah those female models are quite something :psyduck: At the very least do their boobs need to be two gigantic balloons?

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Dec 12, 2013

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

Macaluso posted:

At the very least do their boobs need to be two gigantic balloons?

Yes.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Are there no body sliders at all either?

I do have to say though, the hair styles in this game look fantastic. I just wish there were more, 8-10ish per race/gender is a bit skimpy, especially since some of them are reused. Definitely need a lot more Face styles too, many of them are terrifying.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

quote:

Take mining for example: you might be happily digging away at an ore node, only for it to sprout legs and scamper off. Or maybe even erupt from the ground as a giant ore wyrm, all set on devouring your diminutive Chua. It’s partly a move to keep gathering interesting, but it also works as an anti-farming measure by giving those bots something unpredictable to deal with.

AMAZING! All mmo's should do this to get rid of botters.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Are there no body sliders at all either?

I do have to say though, the hair styles in this game look fantastic. I just wish there were more, 8-10ish per race/gender is a bit skimpy, especially since some of them are reused. Definitely need a lot more Face styles too, many of them are terrifying.

One of the Aurin female hairstyle is this big long flowing wavy hair style that looks completely loving awesome

edit: this one

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Dec 12, 2013

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer

Macaluso posted:

One of the Aurin female hairstyle is this big long flowing wavy hair style that looks completely loving awesome

Please thumbnail your giant images.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noirex
May 30, 2006

Macaluso posted:

Looks like something from The Sims. It's probably going to clip like crazy through armor too.

• Locked thread