Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I have the internet so I don't need to watch lingerie shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I can't say I'm really that broken up about it. I enjoy it and all but I can't honestly say it's that great of a show, it's basically "Coulson and his ragtag gang of personality vacuums."

edit: oh, I thought that link would be an actual cancellation announcement or something. If it hasn't been cancelled, I think they'll run it at least to the end of the season, if for nothing else than an ongoing commercial for their movie franchise.

Irish Joe posted:

Who's not watching VSFS?

I switched over to watch a few minutes of it, and between the fact that the internet exists and that the show itself was pretty lousy and showed more of Trace Adkins and Fallout Boy than beautiful women parading around in goofy outfits, I'd honestly would rather have watched SHIELD.

raditts fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Dec 12, 2013

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Everyone loves Coulson so why not try dumping everyone else and trying again? Will anyone miss Chloe Wang?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think Ming Na is horribly miscast in that role.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
They're going to kill off Fitz or Simmons so that later on, someone will call the remaining one "Fitzsimmons" and it will be awkwardly dramatic and symbolic and poo poo.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Mu Zeta posted:

Everyone loves Coulson so why not try dumping everyone else and trying again?

Or just let him cross over to a better/cooler show on the same network, like Scandal.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

Shageletic posted:

Catching up with the thread, so this is late, but seriously how do you people have the time to watch stuff you acknowledge is crap?! I don't even have time to watch the stuff that I know is going to be great going in (Rectify, etc).

In my case, I work from home and 90% of what I watch is in the corner of the screen while I'm focused on other things. A show has to be special to earn a non-work time viewing slot. Hostages is definitely not one of them.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Joramun posted:

Or just let him cross over to a better/cooler show on the same network, like Scandal.

If I were Clark Gregg I'd be kind of pissed at Jeph Loeb for setting the "Coulson dies in the Avengers" ball rolling. He could be continuing to appear in Marvel movies in perpetuity and now he's stuck with SHIELD instead.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

zoux posted:

I have the internet so I don't need to watch lingerie shows.

Yeah, I'm really not sure why that 'fashion' show is even a thing. It seems so... grubbily 1970s.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Yeah, I'm really not sure why that 'fashion' show is even a thing. It seems so... grubbily 1970s.

It pulled a 3.4, yet another reason CBS is smarter than us

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Femur posted:

It pulled a 3.4, yet another reason CBS is smarter than us

Old people.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

zoux posted:

Old people.

The ratings numbers only count for 18-45 year olds. e:So horny men who don't know about the internet

Irish Joe posted:

Well, in all fairness, SHIELD didn't have the Thor cross-promotion it had the week before and was up against the perfect woman fashion show. Until we have a better understanding of SHIELD's normal ratings, its hard to declare it definitely dead. Its more likely the show will be shuffled off to a less important night with a reduced budget than outright cancelled.

Seriously, though:
vs.
Who's not watching VSFS?

Victoria's secret came on at 10. Shield went up against NCIS. Normal ratings for Shield have been low-mid 2s.

Also, I'm highly doubtful Shield will be canceled. The effect it could have on the whole franchise and future tv series would be catastrophic. It will, however, probably be seriously retooled for next season/next half.

e:VV In the interviews, they've said as much. They have to be mindful of who they introduce lest Avengers 2 be filled with thousands of superheroes flying around.

Postal Parcel fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Dec 12, 2013

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I imagine that the major problem with SHIELD is that you have an army of film and TV execs nixing anything that could even remotely be possibly damaging to the Avengers multibillion dollar brand and that the show people are completely handcuffed as to what they can and can't use.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

zoux posted:

I imagine that the major problem with SHIELD is that you have an army of film and TV execs nixing anything that could even remotely be possibly damaging to the Avengers multibillion dollar brand and that the show people are completely handcuffed as to what they can and can't use.
That could be offset by interesting characters, writing, and direction. Right now it seems stuck in Season 1 Revolution mode, where they put all their effort into explain why the show is middling at best.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Somebody do me a favor and repost this in the Food Network thread.

Found in today's New York Post.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I would do hella drugs with Nige-chan.

E: added an "e" to avoid racism.

zoux fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Dec 12, 2013

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I'm a comics fan but not even Coulson could get me interested in it after seeing the promos and the First Looks at the movie theater.

However, that being said, I think ABC and Marvel should have went back to one of the comics way of pulling a test bed with a new idea to see how it flies: Miniseries.

Just make it an event, 6-10 weeks, that has a beginning, middle and end.

If it was a success, great, you can go to a real series with it. If it was a flop, well, "it was ONLY a miniseries, we never intended for it to be more than that" and you don't worry about the mark of being cancelled.

However, I don't think it will be cancelled after this season and they'll keep it going at least 2 seasons just because it's a Whedon series and ABC/Disney don't want to piss him off after the Avengers nor look like Fox did after they cancelled Firefly.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mu Zeta posted:

Everyone loves Coulson so why not try dumping everyone else and trying again? Will anyone miss Chloe Wang?

I think Skye is a pretty cool character too. I mean I'd watch an X-Files reboot starring Coulson and Skye any day.

Make it happen!

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

JediTalentAgent posted:

However, that being said, I think ABC and Marvel should have went back to one of the comics way of pulling a test bed with a new idea to see how it flies: Miniseries.

http://marvel.com/news/story/21476/disneys_marvel_and_netflix_join_forces_to_develop_historic_four_series_epic_plus_a_mini-series_event

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

It's not good the ratings took a hit but AGENTS OF SHIELD is able to absorb it, so I'm not sure why the Chicken Little thing is happening. And with Marvel and Diseny's clout as is, I don't see why they wouldn't be concretely committed to hitting syndication numbers while taking the gravy disc and digital sales. Budgets and formats can always be adjusted, but a company batting 1.000 unnecessarily allowing a huge project to strike out cannot be retconned like the stories they tell.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat
I don't dislike SHIELD. It's a pretty inoffensive show by all accounts, which is quite possibly its biggest flaw; Agents of SHIELD doesn't really push any boundaries or bring anything terribly exciting to the table. It's a soft serve vanilla cone, with no sprinkles.

It doesn't cross over into "bad" in my opinion, even if it is having trouble reaching "good."

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Manos del Sino posted:

I don't dislike SHIELD. It's a pretty inoffensive show by all accounts, which is quite possibly its biggest flaw; Agents of SHIELD doesn't really push any boundaries or bring anything terribly exciting to the table. It's a soft serve vanilla cone, with no sprinkles.

It doesn't cross over into "bad" in my opinion, even if it is having trouble reaching "good."

It's just dull. A show has to be really really good and compelling for me to watch it week to week and not just wait for it to come out on streaming so I can watch it on a lazy weekend afternoon. After about 4 episodes it was clear that it going to be the latter for me.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Manos del Sino posted:

It's not "bad", but there's just this overwhelming sense that it could be much, much better than it currently is, which I think leads people to judge it a bit more harshly than they might have otherwise.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
As someone who is not watching the show, what has been the arc of the show and what could it be compared to?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Kansas.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

JediTalentAgent posted:

As someone who is not watching the show, what has been the arc of the show and what could it be compared to?

zoux posted:

Kansas.

I guess the main arc has been what happened to Coulson and what happened to Skye's parents. Although, I wouldn't really call those arcs...

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

AVClub has their worst TV of 2013 list up.
http://www.avclub.com/article/the-worst-tv-of-2013-106416

BarbarousBertha
Aug 2, 2007

zoux posted:

Kansas.

Kansas had a couple of pretty great hits. (Dust In The Wind and Carry On My Wayward Son)
Agents of Shield had a couple of pretty great moments. (One cameo and progressively having a middle aged woman as the show's ultimate rear end kicker character)

Otherwise unremarkable.

That seems like a fair comparison to me.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

JediTalentAgent posted:

The boring parts of Fringe. As in, there's really not much as far as arcs go and it's just kind of not bad but not very good "of the week" stuff. There's some character background mysteries but they aren't really compelling at all.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

That "Worst Suicide Attempt" does not belong on the list. That was actually one of the greatest TV scenes of the year, if not ever.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

IRQ posted:

The boring parts of Fringe. As in, there's really not much as far as arcs go and it's just kind of not bad but not very good "of the week" stuff. There's some character background mysteries but they aren't really compelling at all.

Not everyone loved Fringe's MotW episodes as much as I did, but at least they still had decent writing and acting, and the occasionally cool monster/fringe thing. AoS is like those episodes minus the acting, minus the writing (good lord does the writing on SHIELD get horrendously cliche/cheesey/lazy sometimes), and minus any cool scenarios.

SHIELD is the only show that I watch that has made me consciously aware of how small its budget is. Every set/"location" just feels cheap, poorly lit, and dirty, although it doesn't help that 'old, dirty factory/warehouse' has been the setting for like 5 episodes. Also they desperately need to hire Nikita or Arrow's stunt/action coordinator, because they've somehow managed to make fights between elite super spies and people with super strength look incredibly boring.

Jesus christ that Dads scene :psyduck:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

IRQ posted:

Fringe, even at it's worst, doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as SHIELD. For one thing the acting was of infinitely higher quality, and for another in Fringe the characters managed to be charming even when nothing was happening.

There is nothing even remotely as compelling in SHIELD as the cow in Walter's lab.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
2.0s aren't anywhere vaguely close to cancellation, especially on ABC. Calm down.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Joramun posted:

That "Worst Suicide Attempt" does not belong on the list. That was actually one of the greatest TV scenes of the year, if not ever.

I read that and said, "Welp, guess I need to watch that show now, because that sounds amazing."

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

zoux posted:

I think Ming Na is horribly miscast in that role.

I would say you can make a drinking game where the camera does a closeup of her staring slightly off camera doing the :colbert: pose, but I don't want to be responsible for anyone's alcohol poisoning.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

xeria posted:

I read that and said, "Welp, guess I need to watch that show now, because that sounds amazing."

It was magnificent. I was floored and walked around in a daze for days afterwards.

That show. :allears:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

DivisionPost posted:

Somebody do me a favor and repost this in the Food Network thread.

Found in today's New York Post.

Congrats on reporting 2+ month old news, New York Post...? :confused:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I'm more interested in 300 Hot Wheels, but since it's the Post I can only assume they were involved in diddling kids.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

xeria posted:

Do not get me started. You think I'm annoying about Person of Interest? At least that show developed an active fan base. Scandal gets like 10 posts a week despite the fact that that suicide attempt wasn't even the most hosed up thing to happen in the show, nor was it the most intense. (Like, no poo poo, we're pretty much expecting lizard men to come into play during season 6.)

It's on Netflix. The first season is okay. You kind of have to push through the first four episodes, and then maybe you'll start picking up on some of the interesting -- not subtle, mind, but interesting -- poo poo they're doing. At the end of the second season premiere, you'll know if this is your bag.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Dec 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The last episode of Scandal started off too hosed up for me and I still haven't gotten myself to finish it. :(

• Locked thread