Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brennan
Jan 18, 2005

fullroundaction posted:

So are we to think Fiona reprogrammed him or that he changed sides?

If he didn't think he could collect all the white witches skulls his other choice is to kill the voodoo group to keep Laveua from killing him. His mistake was shooting Queenie in her gut instead of her face, otherwise he's probably successful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
That musical interlude was no "Banana fanna fo fanna."

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

How stupid is Fiona to team up with the voodoo chick now

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Just caught up.

:staredog:

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
Why the hell was the witch hunter guy not Dylan McDermont?

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Captain Mog posted:

Why the hell was the witch hunter guy not Dylan McDermont?

Too busy working on some show everyone in the universe except like one person actively hates, apparently!

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.

fullroundaction posted:

So are we to think Fiona reprogrammed him or that he changed sides?

He actually does love Cordelia and, after being physically threatened to take her and the other Coven members' heads, decided to take out Laveau's camp instead.

I will agree that that episode was stronger than most this season, if only because things actually happened. In fact, you could probably cover everything that's happened prior in two or three episodes instead of nine.

But you know what? I'm still very much down on the season, perhaps even more than ever. Every interesting or potentially interesting storyline, feud, and mystery has now seemingly been disregarded for "let's team up to stop witch hunters." Witch hunters who we really only just learned anything about in this episode, episode nine of thirteen. Witch hunters who have a god awfully stereotypical "son disappointing father" deal and equally bad dialogue ala "Nothing a few silver bullets couldn't handle." Witch hunters who are basically faceless save for the father and Hank, who is now dead.

So I guess the ultimate battle will be the suddenly united witches vs. faceless hunters with some potential backstabbing after the threat has been neutralized, not that that hasn't been happening the whole time. And unless silver bullets guarantee they can't be resurrected, then there's not much reason to care if anybody dies. I guess we still don't know who the next Supreme is either, but I'm this close to not caring about that at all (unless it's Nan, since she's the only one I could see an interesting conclusion happening as a result.)

I know we have four episodes left, but sorry, they've really done a poor job of stretching everything out this season. Coven vs. Voodoo seems like such a simple, yet interesting concept, not to mention one that's hard to screw up. And they've done nothing but avoid and convolute it this whole time. It's amazing sometimes how often that happens in media, but I guess I expected more after liking Asylum so much.

KIT HAGS
Jun 5, 2007
Stay sweet
I think like dying may be the catalyst in activating more powers in Nan if they end up making her supreme. Other than that, it logically should be misty since she brought herself back from the dead.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Jesus Christ that was a violent episode :stonk:

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

Can Bernie count on you to add to our chest's mad sparkle? Can you spare a little change for an old buccaneer?
I want a whole episode of Myrtle in fabulous outfits serving continuous appetizers and marveling at the wonders of a melon baller.
It's the only thing that works for me.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

OmegaBR posted:

He actually does love Cordelia and, after being physically threatened to take her and the other Coven members' heads, decided to take out Laveau's camp instead.

I will agree that that episode was stronger than most this season, if only because things actually happened. In fact, you could probably cover everything that's happened prior in two or three episodes instead of nine.

But you know what? I'm still very much down on the season, perhaps even more than ever. Every interesting or potentially interesting storyline, feud, and mystery has now seemingly been disregarded for "let's team up to stop witch hunters." Witch hunters who we really only just learned anything about in this episode, episode nine of thirteen. Witch hunters who have a god awfully stereotypical "son disappointing father" deal and equally bad dialogue ala "Nothing a few silver bullets couldn't handle." Witch hunters who are basically faceless save for the father and Hank, who is now dead.

So I guess the ultimate battle will be the suddenly united witches vs. faceless hunters with some potential backstabbing after the threat has been neutralized, not that that hasn't been happening the whole time. And unless silver bullets guarantee they can't be resurrected, then there's not much reason to care if anybody dies. I guess we still don't know who the next Supreme is either, but I'm this close to not caring about that at all (unless it's Nan, since she's the only one I could see an interesting conclusion happening as a result.)

I know we have four episodes left, but sorry, they've really done a poor job of stretching everything out this season. Coven vs. Voodoo seems like such a simple, yet interesting concept, not to mention one that's hard to screw up. And they've done nothing but avoid and convolute it this whole time. It's amazing sometimes how often that happens in media, but I guess I expected more after liking Asylum so much.

I don't know, it's probable that they go lay waste to the witch hunters in an episode or two, and then that leaves another couple episodes to resolve Coven vs Voodoo (among other things). I don't think we've necessarily seen the last of any animosity there, even if Laveau's the last one standing on one side.

That's not to say the show's going to do any of that very WELL, which is sad -- everyone seems to be having a ball chewing all that scenery (Conroy and Bassett and Bates and Lange especially), and it's a shame the writers couldn't be assed to give them more coherent material.

The Kind One
Dec 8, 2013

by T. Finninho
Calling it now. Bates head will be sewed on Queenies body.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Ugh, sorry if I'm harping on it repeatedly, but there is no horror or suspense element left in this show. I feel like it's drifting into True Blood territory where it's campy crazy fun but it's only thematically "horror." I mean, I'll keep watching because it's still an enjoyable show, but it's not remotely as gripping or high-quality TV as season one or especially season two.

American Hogwarts Story: Coven

Edit: I mean for fucks sake, not only does everyone immediately come back from the dead but as of this episode Cordelia's eyes are just fixed no biggie and Kyle has progressed from Horny Zombie to cards and chit-chat with Fiona. It's disappointing in comparison to season two which managed to be absolutely bonkers but routinely disturbing and disgusting to me. At this point it's just a witch-themed drama, meh.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Dec 12, 2013

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

You could have called this season just "Coven," put it on the CW, and it would have fit right in. Only then you'd have to have more Zoe/Madison/Kyle zombie love triangle and less Lange/Laveau/Conroy performance.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pellisworth posted:

Edit: I mean for fucks sake, not only does everyone immediately come back from the dead but as of this episode Cordelia's eyes are just fixed no biggie and Kyle has progressed from Horny Zombie to cards and chit-chat with Fiona. It's disappointing in comparison to season two which managed to be absolutely bonkers but routinely disturbing and disgusting to me. At this point it's just a witch-themed drama, meh.

Whoever called what's going on a World of Darkness RPG is starting to get a little spot on now that faceless mega corporations are running hunter groups.

Taliaquin
Dec 13, 2009

Turtle flu

The Kind One posted:

Calling it now. Bates head will be sewed on Queenies body.
A week ago, this was a joke:
... Now it seems like a real possibility. This loving show.

The dark secret about Luke's past really wasn't that dark, I thought. I hate to say it, but I'm really underwhelmed by Patti LuPone in this. I really wasn't expecting her to be among the flat actors this year. I think it may be because I was raised by Christian fundamentalists and she doesn't seem believable as one to me. The people who burned Misty -- sure. Joan? Seems like she's just reading the lines with no real meaning in them. Come to think of it, did the show completely drop what seemed to be Misty's vow of vengeance on those guys? I was hoping to see her reign hell down on them, and I hate that the Christian fundies vs. witches plot has switched to Joan rather than them.

I was very happy to see Peters and Lang together, though. I've liked their scenes in Murder House and Asylum, so it's good to see them get to interact again. I think Peters is actually quite a strong actor, one of the strongest in the show, and I wouldn't mind at all if we saw more of Frankentate and Constance Fiona and less of "We're witches, bitch."

Taliaquin fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Dec 12, 2013

i am bones
May 18, 2010

We are the Crystal Gems!

Pellisworth posted:

More like American Supernatural Story with the Winchester brothers!

Place your bets on Queenie's return next episode. I think I'm in for a no.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Fun interview with Gabourey Sidibe. Kathy Bates sounds like a wonderful person in real life.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

i am bones posted:

More like American Supernatural Story with the Winchester brothers!

Place your bets on Queenie's return next episode. I think I'm in for a no.

It's entirely possible that she's just down for the count, period. She isn't in the main credits and we only have 4 episodes left!

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Pellisworth posted:

Ugh, sorry if I'm harping on it repeatedly, but there is no horror or suspense element left in this show. I feel like it's drifting into True Blood territory where it's campy crazy fun but it's only thematically "horror." I mean, I'll keep watching because it's still an enjoyable show, but it's not remotely as gripping or high-quality TV as season one or especially season two.

Maybe not horror, that's actually not surprising, Murphy said this season wouldn't be as much of a dark mindfuck as the last, but I can't agree with suspense. There's so many different plot lines that come and go and twist out of nowhere the show is constant suspense in the mystery sense. Like we have no idea what's going to happen in the last 4 episodes, hell the Laveau and Fiona team up may only last one episode and all kinds of crazy poo poo can happen in the following three. That's the beauty in the show.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
I just finished Asylum. The end of Jude's storyline is surprisingly sweet for American Horror Story. :3:

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
The melon baller scene might have been the single most over-the-top bit of scenery-chewing I've seen on a Ryan Murphy show, and that's saying a lot. Can't deny it was entertaining, though.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Definitely the best episode of the last 4 or 5 but Witch Huntersband dropping the shotgun after one shot to pull out the handguns was hilarious and I'd have to rewatch but seemed to be poor editing as well.

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD

xeria posted:

It's entirely possible that she's just down for the count, period. She isn't in the main credits and we only have 4 episodes left!

I'm also voting she's gone for good. Isn't that the point of whatever magic bullets he was using, they can't come back with their witch magic? Also this may be a spoiler if you don't read interviews so just in case Ryan Murphy said in an interview that they up until episode 9 of coven they wanted to either do a coven spinoff or have season four of AHS be a continuation. When they were writing episode 9 they were going to kill off a character and someone pointed out they couldn't because they wanted him/her in the spinoff. And that's when they decided coven would only be one season because they didn't want to be hampered like that. So I'm going to guess that was Queenie.

Also I like this season a lot more than the first two it makes me sad that so many people don't seem to like it. It's not groundbreaking tv or anything but it's very entertaining and I love all the actors.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Queen Elizatits posted:

Also I like this season a lot more than the first two it makes me sad that so many people don't seem to like it. It's not groundbreaking tv or anything but it's very entertaining and I love all the actors.

The first two seasons I liked in an intellectual horror Stephen King kinda way. This season I like in a campy, True Blood, Dexter, Buffy, Supernatural kinda way. It's really over-the-top, absurd, darkly funny, and very well written. Plot holes abound but I don't care because it's so entertaining.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Queen Elizatits posted:

I think it's an easier watch for me compared to the first two seasons (especially Asylum, which felt super claustrophobic), but I don't know that I'd say I like it better. It seems like in pulling away from being overtly horror (like Asylum) and trying to be more, "I have something to say!" (about racism/feminism), it's kind of exposed itself as not being very well plotted or paced. Which is sad, because these actresses are fantastic and deserve awesome material, and few people chew scenery like Frances Conroy did in that last episode.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Captain Mog posted:

The first two seasons I liked in an intellectual horror Stephen King kinda way. This season I like in a campy, True Blood, Dexter, Buffy, Supernatural kinda way. It's really over-the-top, absurd, darkly funny, and very well written. Plot holes abound but I don't care because it's so entertaining.

This is hilariously backwards because despite looser plotting, this season is far deeper in message and theme.

Atma McCuddles
Sep 2, 2007

If this show stopped the constant Dutch angles it would look a lot better. Kathy Bates is great comic relief, but knowing the real Laveau's rap sheet reaaaaally takes the fun away from that character :/

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

Amused to Death posted:

Maybe not horror, that's actually not surprising, Murphy said this season wouldn't be as much of a dark mindfuck as the last, but I can't agree with suspense. There's so many different plot lines that come and go and twist out of nowhere the show is constant suspense in the mystery sense. Like we have no idea what's going to happen in the last 4 episodes, hell the Laveau and Fiona team up may only last one episode and all kinds of crazy poo poo can happen in the following three. That's the beauty in the show.

There's mystery without suspense, the individual and institutional players change so much from episode to episode that it's... just sort of a big mess. I snorted out loud at the opening of this ep, oh, now he's from a long line of witchhunters. Also a megacorp. Of Witchhunters.

The Dead (ep 7) had some interesting commentary on age/generational issues, but it didn't really go anywhere. There's been four or five different setups, totally squandered by a lack of followthrough. Bound to happen, really, when they were planning a spinoff up through the first 3/4 of the story.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Captain Mog posted:

an intellectual horror Stephen King kinda way

The say what now?

Anyways, I like camp, but I have trouble with this season. It's pretty close to going over the top but it never quite makes it there. Although every scene with Queenie and LaLaurie is this episode was a step in the right direction.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Atma McCuddles posted:

If this show stopped the constant Dutch angles it would look a lot better. Kathy Bates is great comic relief, but knowing the real Laveau's rap sheet reaaaaally takes the fun away from that character :/

Lalaurie. When in doubt, remember...something. I wish I had a pneumonic for this, but I don't. The more french sounding, the more white it is?

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
Death by bees.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Lord Krangdar posted:

Death by bees.

That too. I honestly don't know why they even needed the enema scene from earlier, I mean who cares we already have an abusive mother plot, but a woman who murdered her husband with bees? That's an amazing image.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

That too. I honestly don't know why they even needed the enema scene from earlier, I mean who cares we already have an abusive mother plot, but a woman who murdered her husband with bees? That's an amazing image.

Should've been a bee enema.

I hope she's secretly a witch with the power of bees, and the whole religious angle was just fronting.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
A bee enema would have redeemed the entire season.

I actually still enjoy the heck out of AHS. The acting is mostly great and the production value is still top notch. The show is entertaining as all get out. I just find the story to be lacking, especially on the heels of what was basically my favorite thing ever on TV until I binged Breaking Bad.

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

Can Bernie count on you to add to our chest's mad sparkle? Can you spare a little change for an old buccaneer?

Taliaquin posted:

"We're witches, bitch."

That line really got on my nerves

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

this show fuckin' loves having people put guns in their mouths.

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I really hated the enema scene. I know that this show is all about going over-the-top, but who the gently caress does that? Seriously. There are much more believable forms of child abuse (like what we'd already seen). Can we have one decent mother?

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

We really could have done without Kyle's mom molesting him either. Little bits and bobs like that which are meant to shock you and then never have any impact again are annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

Queen Elizatits posted:

I like a couple of pieces of it, but the rest is a wet fart, not even campy enough for me to enjoy. Maybe it's my own fault - I actually went in with very low expectations to begin with, watching this season, and never watching the other ones. Then I watched the other ones and I was surprised to get into them and like them so much. This season, I can take or leave, which is I think what bothers me the most. I would prefer spectacular failure to milquetoast mediocrity, which this has become. And with such a (mostly) great cast, it just feels like a wasted opportunity because I've seen what AHS is capable of in terms of storytelling. They know how to spin a good tale, but this season doesn't feel like it has any real storytelling in it. It's just a bunch of incidents, really.

• Locked thread