Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Gutcruncher posted:

Some kid(?) is about to experience the fuckery of Ecco for the first time. Be jealous!

This is the Genesis one and not the Sega CD one, right? I have fond memories of the CD version, but never played the one on Genesis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Ursine Asylum posted:

This is the Genesis one and not the Sega CD one, right? I have fond memories of the CD version, but never played the one on Genesis.

The only difference between the Genesis and Sega CD version of Ecco is that the CD version has a Redbook audio soundtrack. Everything else is the same.

Oh wait, apparently some levels are different, but not much.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Ursine Asylum posted:

Same game, the CD version just had arguably better music.

Edit: Nothing is worse than the GBA version. Not even Hitler

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oraECJKJqR0

Gutcruncher fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Dec 12, 2013

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Oh yeah, I don't suppose they added the CD music as an optional feature in the 3DS recreation? It's the sort of detail those guys like to do and it would be a welcome one. I can probably ask the same about this version of Streets of Rage version, too, since that had much better audio effects on its CD version.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Saoshyant posted:

Oh yeah, I don't suppose they added the CD music as an optional feature in the 3DS recreation? It's the sort of detail those guys like to do and it would be a welcome one. I can probably ask the same about this version of Streets of Rage version, too, since that had much better audio effects on its CD version.

No, but they do include Genesis 1 and Genesis 2 emulation.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

It should be noted that the 3D version has both the US and JP rom on it, and that the JP one has several small quality of life adjustments to make it easier, including not forcing you to loving play Welcome to the Machine every time you die to the last boss.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes
drat, the music was pretty much my favorite part of that game-- the music on Sonic CD and Ecco CD were fantastic. Ah well, I'll probably pick it up anyways because I'm a consumer whore. :dance:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Best Buy is doing the 20% off Eshop card thing through Saturday right?

I really want to grab one so I get Sonic and maybe Ecco.

DannyTanner
Jan 9, 2010

Yeah.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Gutcruncher posted:

Some kid(?) is about to experience the fuckery of Ecco for the first time. Be jealous!

Poor kid is gonna have nightmares for days. :stare:

In other news, seeing as the Nintendo Consumer Support dudes basically told me to gently caress off (which is honestly disappointing; I've heard pretty good stories in this thread) about the unresponsive touch-screen on my 3DS XL, I decided to crack my 3DS open. I know I just voided the Warranty on this thing and all, but I didn't realize how easy it is to fix it. They had the replacement parts here in the second hand stores and in a couple of hours, I had my 3DS back in working order, good as new. I even got a screen protector and easily installed it. :)

Still kinda bummed by the Nintendo support dude being that rude; he probably had a rough day.

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Dec 12, 2013

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Gar posted:

Do old codes ever expire? I just went through the video rental store I work at and took all the Club Nintendo codes, I just don't want to wait and have the Wii or regular DS codes expire.

I think it's more about reflecting their lowest-known price. Going through my old codes this past week, my WiiFit was still 100 points, but the brand-new copy of Golden-Sun: Dark Dawn I found at Target was only 20. I assumed because of price drops.

Or for instance, Punch-Out! was 20, Mario Kart was 40 and NSM was 50, which reflects their new prices on EB Games' website.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
As someone new to the 3DS, do you always keep the 3D slider at max at all times for 3D or do you adjust it depending on your viewing angle?

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

TheRamblingSoul posted:

As someone new to the 3DS, do you always keep the 3D slider at max at all times for 3D or do you adjust it depending on your viewing angle?

I almost never keep it at the max, because it's just not relaxing for me. But it really is there so people can adjust it to whatever they like, so just go with what's the most comfortable and looks the best.

Zelda is also the first game in a while where I'm making a point to always have it on anyway.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
The 3D version of Galaxy Force 2 just came out; it's an amazing to see an old arcade game with the 3D gimmick, but it's just doubly amazing with one of Sega's best forward-scrolling titles.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

TheRamblingSoul posted:

I basically only use it for fighting big things in Monster Hunter. It feels pretty gimmicky with my limited selection of games, but is gives a fantastic sense of depth. I went from whiffing 50+% of my hits on monsters to hitting consistently because I could see exactly where I was in relation to what I was fighting.

NoonOwl
Aug 6, 2004
If I don't think does that mean I don't exist?

Gutcruncher posted:

I've never played Ecco either. I guess I have to pick it up now. :ohdear:

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

TheRamblingSoul posted:

I leave mine on max almost all the time. This comes up all the time though and the thread is usually split like 50/50 between people who just turn it off entirely and those who enjoy it. Do what feels best for you. I would advise on giving the 3d a chance even if it hurts your eyes initially though. I found that after a couple days I was totally used to it and it doesn't bother my eyes in the slightest anymore even after hours of use.

Every once in awhile though there will be something that feels weird in 3d and actually hurts my eyes. The last thing I noticed like that was the intro in Devil Survivor Overclocked. It's like the 3d doesn't quite line up properly no matter how I tilt the 3ds. A rare event in my experience so far though.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
Anyone have any experience with 3ds flashkarts? My friend wants to get one and I tried to convince him that they were still bad and not worth getting. I used one all the time for my original ds, but I thought Nintendo had completely done away with them on the 3ds.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
I usually have the 3d on max, but on Zelda I notice that when I'm in dark dungeons with black backgrounds, I can see double. If I'm on a platform that if floating over blackness, I always see the platform or torches split into two, so I have to turn it off completely.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

moush posted:

Anyone have any experience with 3ds flashkarts? My friend wants to get one and I tried to convince him that they were still bad and not worth getting. I used one all the time for my original ds, but I thought Nintendo had completely done away with them on the 3ds.

There were advertisements for one but I don't know if it actually shipped to anyone (plus it was like $100). It worked with microSD cards which could only have 1 ROM each and you had to stay on a really low firmware (like 4.5 or something). I think there are 3DS-compatible flashcarts that will only do DS games. Remember that this is a system that makes heavy use of the internet and you're seriously playing with fire by using any unofficial hardware/software on it, and risk getting console banned, your NNID flagged, all that kind of stuff.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

TheRamblingSoul posted:

Just adjust it based on your preferences, viewing distance, or whatever. That's the point of the slider - so you can watch the 3D adjust in realtime according to where the slider is and pick the exact level of 3D that you find best/easiest/most comfortable. I alternate between keeping it around midway or turning it off completely.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

univbee posted:

There were advertisements for one but I don't know if it actually shipped to anyone (plus it was like $100). It worked with microSD cards which could only have 1 ROM each and you had to stay on a really low firmware (like 4.5 or something). I think there are 3DS-compatible flashcarts that will only do DS games. Remember that this is a system that makes heavy use of the internet and you're seriously playing with fire by using any unofficial hardware/software on it, and risk getting console banned, your NNID flagged, all that kind of stuff.

I think their latest youtube videos showed it working on newer firmware by tricking the 3ds into thinking it's on the old firmware. No clue if you can buy that or not currently. Pretty sure they were still doing the 1 game per micro SD thing though which would make it pretty unusable I imagine.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Awesome! posted:

I think their latest youtube videos showed it working on newer firmware by tricking the 3ds into thinking it's on the old firmware. No clue if you can buy that or not currently. Pretty sure they were still doing the 1 game per micro SD thing though which would make it pretty unusable I imagine.

Other way around. You still need a 4.5 or lower firmware to use the cartridge and it can fake being newer firmwares. It still only supports 1 game at a time and is clunky as hell. It also will not let you play games online and compatibility is still pretty terrible with it. If you're ok with a 100% single player experience and well it's kinda crappy.

An example is that they used a emulator for the spoof that worked great up to 6.3 and the latest firmware update has broken most all the functionality i.e no more region free inside the emulated 7.0 as well as all online apps. If you're poor enough to not afford games and it's your only method of playing them it may be worthwhile I guess but it seems pretty terrible all around.

Orchids!
May 17, 2009

homeless snail posted:

The first couple lessons are like "this is a loving pencil and this is how you loving use it", and it goes from there into tones and shadows and highlights and perspective and composition and identifying figures, etc. The teacher guy pretty regularly gets off onto little art theory tangents where he talks about the principles behind the techniques he teaches, too, which was really enlightening to me. As far as self-guided art instruction goes, I think its one of the better ways to learn about art.

It really gets a lot out of the bigger touch screen on the XL, but it works well enough on the classic 3DS. Just gotta be a little more careful with your strokes.

Thank you and the others for your help, I think I'll pick it up after the holidays and see how I like it.

When I was little I had a game gear, of all things, with Ecco the Dolphin, and in retrospect I'm glad I was terrible at video games and never made it that far on it because I think that game would have wrecked me as a child.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

I also had a Game Gear with Ecco as a kid and I don't think I ever made it past the first level. I never had any clue what I was supposed to be doing in that game. I would swim around for a little while, not know where to go, then turn it off and play Shinobi 2 or NHL '95.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Saoshyant posted:

Nah, it's all based on the cart version. The CD version's music has to be licensed separately, kinda like the Sonic CD US soundtrack, I think.

The big addition is the "Super Dolphin" toggle which makes it impossible to die/drown. You can also switch to the JP version which is easier than the international versions in a bunch of ways, but I don't know if you can play the JP version with English text.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Did anyone try the AeternoBlade demo that went up on the eShop today? Sidescrolling 2.5D action game, not unlike Mirror of Fate (but with a much, much better framerate), seems pretty good for a low budget game. It'll be out exclusively on the eShop next month.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

TheRamblingSoul posted:

When I am seated somewhere secure I have it all the way up - except for some games where the 3D is a bit crap like Bravely Default. On a train or bus I push it down to the lowest setting below off. That seems to provide a bit of "give" for the slight movements.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
is it just me or does pokemon lag more with 3d on?
Does the 3d toggle actually tax the system more?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
http://www.siliconera.com/2013/12/12/dragon-quest-monsters-2-lets-customize-avatar/

Oh look, what Pokemon should have done for their streetpass feature.

God I wish this would come out here.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

MeruFM posted:

Yes and yes. They even disable 3D in battles with more than two mons.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

MeruFM posted:

It absolutely does, to achieve the 3D effect the game basically has to render every scene twice. It's most noticeable in the early 3DS games like Dead or Alive that run 60 FPS in 2D, and 30 in 3D. Some games handle it better than others (Mario Kart, Link Between Worlds are 60 FPS with or without 3D), but for the most part, you should expect a performance hit of some kind in 3D.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
that's pretty ridiculous. pokemon doesn't seem particularly graphically intensive.

also a hardware button linking to performance makes me think of the turbo button on old intel #86 computers

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

MeruFM posted:

that's pretty ridiculous. pokemon doesn't seem particularly graphically intensive.

also a hardware button linking to performance makes me think of the turbo button on old intel #86 computers
As far as I can tell they didn't bother polishing the 3D as much because it was more likely to have a lot of young eyes playing it, but who knows for sure. The 3D is great when the game uses it, and the whole game is a big improvement when it comes to graphics so I'll live without 3D.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

minusX posted:

As far as I can tell they didn't bother polishing the 3D as much because it was more likely to have a lot of young eyes playing it, but who knows for sure. The 3D is great when the game uses it, and the whole game is a big improvement when it comes to graphics so I'll live without 3D.

I think some of the Pokemon have really high polygon counts as well, so that might have something to do with it.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

ChaosArgate posted:

I think some of the Pokemon have really high polygon counts as well, so that might have something to do with it.

No kidding, even without 3D there are some pretty massive framerate drops depending on what mon is on screen. I'm not sure this is because of poor optimization or that X/Y is really that system intensive.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Neo_Crimson posted:

No kidding, even without 3D there are some pretty massive framerate drops depending on what mon is on screen. I'm not sure this is because of poor optimization or that X/Y is really that system intensive.

Given it's probably an entirely new engine, I'd put it down to optimization. It'll probably improve by the time Pokemon Z/X2/Y2 rolls around.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

The 3D version of Galaxy Force 2 just came out; it's an amazing to see an old arcade game with the 3D gimmick, but it's just doubly amazing with one of Sega's best forward-scrolling titles.

If you want more, get Space Harrier as well. It's gorgeous in 3D.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The models are the only part of Pokemon that looks especially nice, nothing else is particularly noteworthy, 3D or not. It seems like there's plenty of room for improvement, put it that way.

I was expecting something at least on the level of Yokai Watch, but I guess I'll have to settle for Pokemon being a hell of a lot more fun (probably).

EDIT: and yeah, check out 3D Galaxy Force II, it looks so slick.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you want more, get Space Harrier as well. It's gorgeous in 3D.

Super Hang-On as well, and of course when AfterBurner II and possibly Outrun come out those will be worth looking at as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orchids!
May 17, 2009

Awesome! posted:

I also had a Game Gear with Ecco as a kid and I don't think I ever made it past the first level. I never had any clue what I was supposed to be doing in that game. I would swim around for a little while, not know where to go, then turn it off and play Shinobi 2 or NHL '95.

Yeah I never knew what I was doing either, but I remember that I always got stuck on one specific part that frightened me so when I played I'd usually just swim around a bit until I got bored. I want to say there's some part in the first level where you need to get past a scary fish or something but it's really fast and attacks you? I don't know that game always kind of creeped me out, but I wanted to play as the pretty dolphin. :(

Speaking of Game Gear games I never beat, they should put Ristar on the eshop. I've always been awful at platformers and I still loved that game as a kid. There was one world or boss in the middle that always tripped me up but I played a lot anyway, it was fun.

Any idea when the US will get the Bravely Default demo? Europe :argh:

• Locked thread