Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

Ninja fetus posted:

I don't drive around in tanks a lot but I've had this happen A LOT with the m203. The grenade is launched from the tube and I can see it hit someone, but it just doesn't do anything.

Isn't there a minimum travel distance before the grenade is "live" though?

No idea about tank shells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Do score gains get logged if you get disconnected? I got a shitload of ribbons and service star points then crashed (and then rejoined on the losing team :argh: ) and some parts seem to have been recorded but not others.

Edit: The answer is "yes" as 15k just appeared.

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Dec 14, 2013

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Yeah the servers upload every ones points when the map changes. As long as the server doesn't crash you are ok.

Armitage_Shanks
May 16, 2004

Fear the aVICtar.
How exactly does the MAV "jam" travel? I read somewhere it is a dart object with I'm guessing drop and travel speed. It seems generous enough when destroying explosives though I can sometimes see the "flash" miss where my sights are and have to compensate. I've taken other MAVs out but last night I spent ages stalking one and no combination of aiming directly or slightly above got the guy. Do EMPs disable the MAV jam?

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
According to :dice: this is how it works:

WastedJoker fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Dec 14, 2013

Ninja fetus
Jan 22, 2005
Legalize murder

WastedJoker posted:

Isn't there a minimum travel distance before the grenade is "live" though?

No idea about tank shells.
I doubt that's the problem. Those grenaded flew quite a bit and I've hit and killed people up close with the m203 as well. I really think the hit just doesn't register or something.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
Hanging out the side of a helicopter shooting stingers at other aircraft was worth the price of the game all by itself.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Bedurndurn posted:

Hanging out the side of a helicopter shooting stingers at other aircraft was worth the price of the game all by itself.

Yeah it can be fun doing that although I feel a bit cheap doing it. I was throwing the impact grenades down on to boats yesterday.

Do people on the gunners seat on a boat take damage differently from explosives differently than the boat? I know gunners take bullets but I wasn't sure how it worked?

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
I've been keeping up with this thread for the last week because I was planning on picking this up for $20 with the McDonald's deal when it inevitably goes on sale for Christmas. I see a lot of :dice:, complaints about crashing, and in general malaise mixed in with the amusing anecdotes.

Would I be better served picking up Civ V: Brave New World and whatever else with the other :10bux: than jumping on board with this right now?

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Jippa posted:

Yeah it can be fun doing that although I feel a bit cheap doing it. I was throwing the impact grenades down on to boats yesterday.

Do people on the gunners seat on a boat take damage differently from explosives differently than the boat? I know gunners take bullets but I wasn't sure how it worked?

You can hit a minigunner on the boat with a RPG and kill him doing no damage to the boat.

Also, the Active Defense gadget supports get stops cruise missiles.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

FadedReality posted:

I've been keeping up with this thread for the last week because I was planning on picking this up for $20 with the McDonald's deal when it inevitably goes on sale for Christmas. I see a lot of :dice:, complaints about crashing, and in general malaise mixed in with the amusing anecdotes.

Would I be better served picking up Civ V: Brave New World and whatever else with the other :10bux: than jumping on board with this right now?

Despite people complaining about bugs, there are several of us that have had an overall bug-free experience playing the game since launch. I've never gotten the sound-loop bug, never crashed on Siege of Shanghai, and the closest I can say I've had to stability issues is that the game can sometimes crash when I tab out, which isn't exactly game-breaking. Give it a shot, the worst thing that can happen is that you have problems trying to play and if it makes it so the game is unenjoyable EA/DICE have been happily refunding people's money.

LordMaxxie
Oct 30, 2011

If anyone wants a whitelist on the ping limit (200) over at the Bill Cosby Aussie server let me know via PM with your Origin (Soldier) name and I'll add it, and a reserved slot too!

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

RedneckwithGuns posted:

Despite people complaining about bugs, there are several of us that have had an overall bug-free experience playing the game since launch. I've never gotten the sound-loop bug, never crashed on Siege of Shanghai, and the closest I can say I've had to stability issues is that the game can sometimes crash when I tab out, which isn't exactly game-breaking. Give it a shot, the worst thing that can happen is that you have problems trying to play and if it makes it so the game is unenjoyable EA/DICE have been happily refunding people's money.

Yeah, I had issues right at launch but that's to be expected. I've had the odd switching-between-maps crash and a few server disconnects but it hasn't been bad really.

I'm not an obsessive ultranerd so I don't even notice the bugs where something in game is not centered or might not provide the exact decimal point of damage either. I have a blast with the game and that's all I want.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Last patch sorted loads of crash issues for me, I've only had one since. Previously it was every 60 mins or so and I couldn't play shanghai at all.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

FadedReality posted:

The game does have its issues but they actually seem to be working towards fixing them. My game never really crashed as often as some of the people on here, maybe 2 crashes over the course of an entire night of playing while others were getting a crash every round it seemed.

After the recent couple of patches, I officially had my first crash in about a weeks time last night. For some the game is still a buggy mess, for others its working nearly perfectly, just have the pull the trigger and find out.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
As a general FYI on crashes, as someone who tried more or less everything to stop the game crashing several times a day; I upgraded from a Geforce 560 to a 760 and I haven't had a single client crash all week, even on previously unplayable maps like shanghai and gamebreaker

Ninja fetus
Jan 22, 2005
Legalize murder
While it's not as bad as it was, I'm still crashing. Mostly the soundloop-crash, even though DICE said it was fixed.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
Sounds like it's definitely worth it. I had hoped so as I wanted to get in on it early in the cycle unlike BF3 which I came to way late.

nihil morari
Sep 24, 2011

by Ralp

jisforjosh posted:

The game does have its issues but they actually seem to be working towards fixing them.

They should be fixed by now. I'm used to silly bugs like broken gun mechanics or jumping into the sky on Iwo Jima, but it's been quite a while since launch and I still experience the stuttering (99% memory usage) bug on half the maps the game shipped with. My video card is listed in the minimum requirements and my processor and memory are above minimum - in fact the game runs great - yet I have to quit and restart my computer half the time I try to play a few rounds. It's loving ridiculous and there's no excuse for the game being this broken. I love Battlefield but I don't dare to pay more money on expansion packs for a game that only works half the time.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

nihil morari posted:

They should be fixed by now. I'm used to silly bugs like broken gun mechanics or jumping into the sky on Iwo Jima, but it's been quite a while since launch and I still experience the stuttering (99% memory usage) bug on half the maps the game shipped with. My video card is listed in the minimum requirements and my processor and memory are above minimum - in fact the game runs great - yet I have to quit and restart my computer half the time I try to play a few rounds. It's loving ridiculous and there's no excuse for the game being this broken. I love Battlefield but I don't dare to pay more money on expansion packs for a game that only works half the time.

Do the core unparking fix. Even on Windows 8.1 where it isn't supposed to work, it worked for my stutters. If its a memory issue, I don't remember off hand but I think there's a specific fix for it.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Crashes seem a lot better but there are still annoying things like being stuck on the revive screen happening. Kind of fucks up your squad if you're playing with friends when you can't revive people :)

Cpt Stabbin
Jul 16, 2003

I ride zee boat and take it in zee poopah!
The L85A2 stats must be wrong. It feels way more accurate than any of the other bullpups. Also it makes me feel like god reincarnate. Tap fire that sucker and it's a laser.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Do the core unparking fix. Even on Windows 8.1 where it isn't supposed to work, it worked for my stutters. If its a memory issue, I don't remember off hand but I think there's a specific fix for it.
This didn't fix my stuttering problems and I have an i5 3570k, GTX 660, and 8 GB RAM. Should be more than enough to run on high, but it still stutters on certain maps even if I run on low.

nihil morari
Sep 24, 2011

by Ralp

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I have 8.1. How does do this unparking? I know it was explained weeks ago but I'm definitely not going to be able to find the post.

nihil morari fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Dec 14, 2013

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

nihil morari posted:

I have 8.1. How does do this unparking? I know it was explained weeks ago but I'm definitely not going to be able to find the post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkfIFP0g2xY

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Has any one else got stuck in this loop where battle log keeps saying it needs to install a browser add on, you down load it and install it then it says the same thing.

I've installed it about 5 times now. I've also cleared my cache and and made sure that battle log is "allowed" etc.

I can't join any servers.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Jippa posted:

Has any one else got stuck in this loop where battle log keeps saying it needs to install a browser add on, you down load it and install it then it says the same thing.

I've installed it about 5 times now. I've also cleared my cache and and made sure that battle log is "allowed" etc.

Are you on Chrome? I found I had to go to chrome://plugins/ and ensure that Battlelog Game Launcher was enabled, not sure why it was disabled in the first place.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Uranium 235 posted:

This didn't fix my stuttering problems and I have an i5 3570k, GTX 660, and 8 GB RAM. Should be more than enough to run on high, but it still stutters on certain maps even if I run on low.

Huh, don't know, I have the exact same specs as you but with a 7950 instead of a 660. Try reinstalling the DirectX that came with the game?

nihil morari
Sep 24, 2011

by Ralp

Thank you. I will trip-report later.

the pole or the dole
May 21, 2009
Is the final sniper unlock really just a reskin of the first sniper rifle?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Mad Pills posted:

FY-JS:

CS-LR4

Short answer, yes. The FY-JS is also known as the CS-LR3. The difference is caliber, otherwise, they actually are the same gun, at least in real life.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Mad Pills posted:

The FY-JS is a variant of the CS-LR4. They're both Chinese rifles.

Edit: beaten by another gun nerd.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Shima Honnou posted:

FY-JS:

CS-LR4

Short answer, yes. The FY-JS is also known as the CS-LR3. The difference is caliber, otherwise, they actually are the same gun, at least in real life.

:dice:-ed again :(

Rod Munch
Jul 17, 2001

Jippa posted:

I uninstalled Battlelog Web Plugins from the Windows control panel, then went to battlelog and reinstalled them. Like you I had tried clearing cache and various browser troubleshooting, and this is what ultimately fixed it for me.

xorex
Jul 23, 2002
whatever
I got kicked from a server by punkbuster for a high ping of 104 (admin decision). I wasn't really paying attention to my ping in game and I don't consider ~100 to be THAT bad in Battlefield. Battlelog did only show a ping of 49 to the server. On the other hand, I was camping the bomber trying to get the stupid ribbons for the assignment. I had already gotten two kills and had just started my third run so I guess I made some baby who also wanted the bomber upset.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

OGS-Remix posted:

They're definitely not immune to sabot shells. I took one down just a few hours ago on a China Rising map. It sounds like some other sort of bug, but there's no special immunity for sure.

Yeah I'm getting the feeling it's part of the ridiculous hitreg issues I've been having. Since last patch I can barely use DMR's since literally about 50% of my hits don't register :( Went from being able to double or triple-tap (hardcore servers) people at any range to emptying half a mag at someone's back point blank and them killing me with 30% hp left. I just didn't think it would start affecting tanks.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Jippa posted:

I feel like guilin peaks is a bit like playing ps2 (but actually fun). You end up in these massive roaming gangs that swoop about the map having these mid range fights.

Only having the one chopper makes it really interesting. I'm also a huge sucker for the way it looks and feels. Those steps (are they called that?) which go down levels mean you can flank people and pop up and shoot them even if they have the height advantage.

It's a really nice map.
Guilin Peaks is awesome and I really wish it was attached to a better expansion. Why did they attach such a infantry focused map to three huge, artillery based maps? I really don't want to play Altai/Dragon/Silk Road before or after that map, yet servers seem adamant on keeping all the China Rising maps on rotation.

Give me a Operation Locker / Guilin Peaks server, please.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Dec 14, 2013

Nissir
Apr 23, 2007
Man with no Title
Looking for some more people to work on the I'm Dynamite assignment friend NissirTY and we will invade a server.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

CANNOT STOP SHITPOSTING FOR FIVE MINUTES
So what cannon is best on the stealth jet. Yes, I know the ground attack cannon is superior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

ScienceAndMusic posted:

So what cannon is best on the stealth jet. Yes, I know the ground attack cannon is superior.

I think the 30mm has the best dps if you are pro ace skygod who can land all his shots, but most people prefer the 25mm or 20mm. Basically its up to you. I liked the 25mm when suffering through the UCAV assignment.

• Locked thread