Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
So I'm starting to have time to play, ign maxamas64 if there's any other lowbie cheapskates like me looking to get the achievements or otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.
Lost about 100 elo today trying to make Asalah Immolate work :v:

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
I'm surprised at how often people surrender in this game when things don't completely swing their way. I've been down to <5 health to 20 and come back a few times already, but I'm sure the Academy becoming kind of crazy when it gets to the late game helps with that.

Id is SunshineSalerno.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Nero posted:

I am still making small tweaks - I am not sure I like the Sayama Stalkers, I might put some number of Kappa in there

Sayama Stalkers are great early drops, you should never play less than 4 in any Sanctuary deck. There is no 2-drop other than Wolf Captain that can be put in front of them and live, so it's effectively a guaranteed 2 hero damage per turn in a rush deck. Ambush is also really, really good at shutting down Paos. You certainly shouldn't be replacing them with Kappa, which are a 3-drop melee in a deck already stuffed with good 3-drops.

When adjusting someone else's deck, try not to replace shooters with melee or you'll find your hand getting clogged with cards you can't play once your front row is full.

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

Jedit posted:

Sayama Stalkers are great early drops, you should never play less than 4 in any Sanctuary deck. There is no 2-drop other than Wolf Captain that can be put in front of them and live, so it's effectively a guaranteed 2 hero damage per turn in a rush deck. Ambush is also really, really good at shutting down Paos. You certainly shouldn't be replacing them with Kappa, which are a 3-drop melee in a deck already stuffed with good 3-drops.

When adjusting someone else's deck, try not to replace shooters with melee or you'll find your hand getting clogged with cards you can't play once your front row is full.

yea those early Stalker + DA stacks win games really quick against some matchups.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
Is there something bad about just making a deck with a bunch of random creatures from different factions I happen to have? I remember when I first played this maybe 6 months ago it wouldn't even let me put cards that weren't of my heroes faction in a deck, but that seems to have changed now (or maybe I had the wrong filters on back then.) I just wanna beat people in noob 100elo games and get gold moneys for more packs.

I'm really not digging the starter cards, no big creatures at all and I just lose if I don't win in 8 turns to my opponents blocking with guys with 7+ hp and lifeleech etc.

edit: I'm a big idiot actually, I didn't read the name of the "neutral" faction. That explains it.

THE PWNER fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Dec 14, 2013

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Jedit posted:

Sayama Stalkers are great early drops, you should never play less than 4 in any Sanctuary deck. There is no 2-drop other than Wolf Captain that can be put in front of them and live

Watchman Crusaders, Tree of Hanging and Wizard Tutors come to mind, and there are probably more.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Cryohazard posted:

Watchman Crusaders, Tree of Hanging and Wizard Tutors come to mind, and there are probably more.

Crusaders and Trees are kinda helpless against them though, and the Tutors will lose out.

Elite Squires are I think the best 2-drop for handling them.

Also I can't figure out why I can't connect with the Launcher so I guess til I do I'm going to lose my daily rewards. The wildcards bonus ends on Wednesday, too. :(

Opendork
Jan 14, 2006

Has anyone else had an issue with the game crashing whenever they open the friend request tab? I've found a few bug reports from googling it, but nothing about fixing it.

EDIT: Never mind. Verifying the game cache through steam fixed it.

Opendork fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Dec 14, 2013

Bizarro Kale
Oct 15, 2005
I wonder if they are going to reimplement showing when cards are affected by things like week of taxes, I still haven't adjusted to the disappearance of the UI cue on the cards themselves and it makes me seriously consider giving up the match every single time I don't catch it.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Bizarro Kale posted:

I wonder if they are going to reimplement showing when cards are affected by things like week of taxes, I still haven't adjusted to the disappearance of the UI cue on the cards themselves and it makes me seriously consider giving up the match every single time I don't catch it.

If they didn't do it with Week of Austerity, they won't fix it period.

Swiss stories, I lost to an Alia 80 card stall deck that's basically Sandy lock except it plays spells and that Heal 2->Put card in top of deck. Handily beats other stall decks, cost me 3rd place because he scrubbed out and went 2-1.

So very next swiss, he loses and leaves and I beat the guy that beat him. My final swiss match is against a 70 card starter Garant deck. :psyduck:

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

Lasagna Pilot posted:

Lost about 100 elo today trying to make Asalah Immolate work :v:

Much respect!

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Canopus250 posted:

Nah, I've hit lots of the stall/mill academy decks today since I managed to climb from ~700 to a peak of 1150 earlier. Most of those are at least still interesting for me to watch from the technical standpoint as opposed to the exact same deck each time. Some of the other unfun strats are played with a couple heroes at my skill level.

Edit: I don't doubt it gets worse than this as players get better though.

I'm around 1250 ELO usually, and my worst offender is Ishuma. That's the only match up I feel I have to pull really well and/or they have to pull really badly. I know we already discussed this, but my opinion is the hero is slightly OP given the creature base. However, I have noticed less Ishuma decks the last couple of days, which is nice. But I haven't been playing Swiss, so I'm not sure.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I just started this game yesterday. While I enjoy deckbuilding and playing CCGs, the collection part does kind of turn me off. However, the thing that's really rubbing me the wrong way is how playing first permanently puts you behind in resource. How do players deal with this?

RIP HoMM3 style Fortress. :sigh:

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
What would make Ishuma not OP? Maybe making the damage take 2 resource?

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

WYA posted:

What would make Ishuma not OP? Maybe making the damage take 2 resource?

I think making it cost 1 resource would keep Ishuma at T1, but no longer slightly OP.

I think making it cost 2 resources would keep Ishuma competitive, but no longer T1.

At least, that's my opinion. I'm not some authoritative source on this, I'm just a dude that likes CCGs.

Side note:

I'm glad to see new people join us every day. I think we've had 3-4 people just in the last day. That's great!

inthesto -- Although most decks gain an advantage when going second, some decks gain an advantage going first.
One of the great things about this game is the mulligan system. For example, if I'm going first, and don't have any 1-drops in my deck, I usually mulligan for some cheap removal or defensive 2-drops.

Overall, I think compared to other CCGs I've played, when paired with the mulligan system, the advantage from who goes first or second isn't that big -- but that's just my opinion. Anyone else want to weigh in?

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Well having a lot of fun with low level dueling, kinda scared to get on your guys level with the (sounds like) lovely meta. Had one duel last almost 20 minutes, my stronghold against a necro, he eventually managed to get enough of my creatures off deck for him to time stop and finish me. Next one, playing against an inferno deck I got a dark assassin out early and steamrolled creatures onto the board to win in 4 turns. Stronghold is fun, sounds like it isn't in the meta much.

retro sexual
Mar 14, 2005
When I go first I tend to draw a card instead

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Well having a lot of fun with low level dueling, kinda scared to get on your guys level with the (sounds like) lovely meta. Had one duel last almost 20 minutes, my stronghold against a necro, he eventually managed to get enough of my creatures off deck for him to time stop and finish me. Next one, playing against an inferno deck I got a dark assassin out early and steamrolled creatures onto the board to win in 4 turns. Stronghold is fun, sounds like it isn't in the meta much.

Keep in mind this is the Internet, and we're goons, so people like to complain. Honestly, the meta is pretty decent. It's probably worst around 800-1100, though. At that range you'll probably be facing a ton of Ishumas right now.

Stronghold is pretty awesome, and there's definitely "meta" decks that aren't Crag Hack. A popular one is "Spellthor" (I think that's what it's called). Stronghold has some pretty amazing creatures and cool heroes, so feel free to flex your deck building muscles or netdeck something you may find fun (to clarify, there's NOTHING wrong with the latter).

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

retro sexual posted:

When I go first I tend to draw a card instead

This is rarely a good move. It delays developing your stats, so you can end up not being able to play the card you drew anyway.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

inthesto posted:

I just started this game yesterday. While I enjoy deckbuilding and playing CCGs, the collection part does kind of turn me off. However, the thing that's really rubbing me the wrong way is how playing first permanently puts you behind in resource. How do players deal with this?

RIP HoMM3 style Fortress. :sigh:

There are a few alternatives if you really want to catch up on resources. Haven has Tithe Collectors and Crusader Treasurers. Sanctuary has Naga Tacticians. All factions can use Gold Mine.

But in general Haven has a lot of options for resource management.

Also H3 Fortress for life.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Naga tacticians are garbage imo

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
It's nice to have mechanical solutions, but my question was more along the lines of "How does your brain not explode from being punished for going first?"

Like, I understand that going first in most turn-based games is an inherent advantage, but the resource disadvantage tilts the scales in the other direction way too far. Granted, I'm very new and have only played four games (all of the PVP because I didn't even realize there was a single-player campaign until I read this thread), but each of those were won handily by whoever got to play second.

Also please just give me a faction with basilisks, gorgons, and hydras.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Depends on what cards you draw. Stronghold has 1 resource ranged guys that hit for 2 with 1 hp. They make for decent fodder.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

inthesto posted:

Also please just give me a faction with basilisks, gorgons, and hydras.

Honestly, if the game continues to do well (it seems to be pretty popular, at least in Europe), they'll probably release a new faction soon, given that their latest expansion wasn't as robust as previous expansions. Not sure if it'll be Fortress or Dungeon.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Looks like the Steam Champ 2 Pack is for sale again: http://store.steampowered.com/app/267711/

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Saturday swiss. Time to burn through these 20 tix!

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

6 swiss tournaments today, got 2nd four times, scrubbed once (with Emilio's pack), and 3rd once. Shouldn't complain about the results (considering I haven't spent a dime and I'm just playing an Inferno blitz deck), but I really want to win one just to get Ignatius.

So sick of all the Necro decks that seemed to make up 80% of my opponents. I should win about 35-40% or so against them, but a lot of my opponents just left themselves vulnerable.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Jedit posted:

This is rarely a good move. It delays developing your stats, so you can end up not being able to play the card you drew anyway.

I run a couple Week of Knowledge on the off chance they turn up when I go first so I get some card advantage while still being able to increase my stats, since I don't run any 1 drops. It's been pretty useful so far!

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
I love it when I go first, have nothing to do, and my opponent runs a bunch of week of knowledge. Why yes, I would like 2 free cards, thank you.

I really like the event mechanic in general really. They're somewhat asymmetrical and if chosen right they should help the owner more than the opponent on average, but it's just nice to occasionally have your opponent's good card help you out. Whereas something like a powerful spell/unit for your opponent is usually just straight up bad for you (outside of puppet master et al).

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
Why isnt this out on Android yet fuuuuuuuuuck

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Had some Ariana player earlier today tell me "broken deck". I was running the Hakeem one you can get in the shop for gold without any modifications whatsoever, needless to say it is not even remotely a "broken deck". The game took 20 turns because he was dead ~turn 6 but kept stalling and stalling and stalling.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

WarEternal posted:

Had some Ariana player earlier today tell me "broken deck". I was running the Hakeem one you can get in the shop for gold without any modifications whatsoever, needless to say it is not even remotely a "broken deck". The game took 20 turns because he was dead ~turn 6 but kept stalling and stalling and stalling.

Your life is not complete unless someone says to you "must be a son of a prostitute."

Nion
Jun 8, 2008

The matchmaking just put me in a game against someone 500 elo lower. 850 vs 1350. They really need to fix this.

Token Cracker
Dec 22, 2004
Looks like I finally got my Inferno deck worked out. Did 4 swisses today and won all 4. Town portal is a ridiculously useful spell for getting and keeping momentum.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Nion posted:

The matchmaking just put me in a game against someone 500 elo lower. 850 vs 1350. They really need to fix this.

Did he win?

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Everybody knows the best faction in Heroes 3 was Stronghold, because you'd have Behemoths on day 3. (As long as you were okay with tanking your economy!)

Although I always played Rampart because Mephala was incredibly OP.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

gannyGrabber posted:

Everybody knows the best faction in Heroes 3 was Stronghold, because you'd have Behemoths on day 3. (As long as you were okay with tanking your economy!)

Although I always played Rampart because Mephala was incredibly OP.

I don't care how underpowered Fortress was; there's no better feeling that watching a horde of stone cows slaughtering stacks of tier 7s.

On topic: I went with the Stronghold starter deck since they're my favorite faction out of the pick and they seemed reasonably aggro. What options do I generally have outside of farting out neutrals with Crag Hack?

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

inthesto posted:

I don't care how underpowered Fortress was; there's no better feeling that watching a horde of stone cows slaughtering stacks of tier 7s.

On topic: I went with the Stronghold starter deck since they're my favorite faction out of the pick and they seemed reasonably aggro. What options do I generally have outside of farting out neutrals with Crag Hack?

You can play Kelthor (here is the thread on the official forums), who is really good right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nion
Jun 8, 2008

WYA posted:

Did he win?

He played some creature, I firebolted it, he surrendered.

I've been playing the Spellthor deck from the article on MMDoCKing, and it's really good. Probably wouldn't do well against a good stall deck, but I haven't met one yet.

• Locked thread