Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

GrizzlyCow posted:

I liked FFX-2's story.

I, too, did not know about this materia-chaining. Actually, I don't remember much about my playthroughs of this game. It's for the best, I suppose.

It'll be fun to see how OFS gets through this whacky adventure.

Anyway, has the game explained why we're stealing the Huge Materia, yet?

Because ShinRa are trying to save the world and we have to stop them!!

Wait I think they should elect a new group leader.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Chuu posted:

NASA is studying using nukes to change the orbit of an object on a collision course with earth. There's a good paper on it here (pdf warning). To quote:

Don't think that would work in this case considering the meteors being attracted to the planet like a piece of metal to a magnet.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
What, you mean like the moon is to earth right now in real life?

Rude Semprini
Jun 4, 2013

Ow. Right in the self esteem.

Chuu posted:

NASA is studying using nukes to change the orbit of an object on a collision course with earth. There's a good paper on it

I do love the idea of Rufus being handed a big report on this idea, him nodding his head knowingly, then just tying the huge materia to a rocket with some tape and string.

"Sir...sir, are you 100% sure you understand the plan?"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Rude Semprini posted:

I do love the idea of Rufus being handed a big report on this idea, him nodding his head knowingly, then just tying the huge materia to a rocket with some tape and string.

"Sir...sir, are you 100% sure you understand the plan?"

Rufus hasn't been president of Shinra for longer than a few months and already his approach to dealing with any of his cartoon-villain subordinates is to throw paperwork at them until they go away.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.

NASA posted:

A nuclear standoff mission could be designed knowing only the orbit and approximate mass of the threat, and missions could be carried out incrementally to reach the required amount of deflection.

Translation: Keep firing until we get it right.

I love you, NASA.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

D1Sergo posted:

Translation: Keep firing until we get it right.

I love you, NASA.

Translation: Scientific Method. Form a hypothesis. No hypothesis is necessarily incorrect, unless it doesn't include nukes, then you're wrong. Test the hypothesis. Analyze the data. If the hypothesis isn't validated, increase the warhead. Repeat until true.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Serifina posted:

Mako, yeah, but processed in different ways, I think. And there doesn't seem to be any thought in the plan beyond '1)Load rocket with materia! 2) fire rocket at Meteor! 3) ??? 4) Prof... Uh Victory!

To be fair, while their plan might be totally questionable, at least they're trying something.

Cloud and company have no plan of their own for dealing with Meteor and are, in fact, actively screwing the only plan in the entire world for dealing with Meteor. And to top it off, they aren't even really using the Huge Materia - it's nothing but pure vindictiveness - "We're stealing this from you...because we can. Suck it."

Rude Semprini
Jun 4, 2013

Ow. Right in the self esteem.

quote:

Cloud and company have no plan of their own for dealing with Meteor and are, in fact, actively screwing the only plan in the entire world for dealing with Meteor. And to top it off, they aren't even really using the Huge Materia - it's nothing but pure vindictiveness - "We're stealing this from you...because we can. Suck it."

It makes more sense if Cloud and co genuinely think that Shinra's plan won't work and wasting the huge materia would be sealing the planets doom. To them, having no plan and having a chance to think of one is better than having a plan that won't work.

Dunno how much indication we have of that being their way of thinking though. Cloud's going through a rough patch, maybe he's just being petty? He'll get the materia from them and play keep-away with Barret, Rufus trying to jump up and catch it.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

It's been far too long since I've played this far, but may I remind you that Shinra's plan is to fire weaponized life juju at the comet? Even assuming there are no immediate repercussions, that can't be good for the planet's health. It's entirely possible they see one outcome as bad as the other (and entirely possible that one outcome is as bad as the other), but Shinra's plan is more immediate and local, allowing them to do something about it.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Cid is probably thinking some woman will screw the space plan anyways.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

waah posted:

Cid is probably thinking some woman will screw the space plan anyways.
She is, her name is Scarlet and she's a bitch anyway :colbert:

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Maybe they just figure jettisoning a lot of mako energy now will mean that much less for Sephiroth when he crushes the earth like a Capri Sun.

Also, I heard NASA has another plan that involves launching a satellite to nudge super close to an incoming meteor and gradually alter its trajectory over time, possibly even catching it as a second moon.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Has anyone pointed out that Shinra's plan is basically the plot to Armageddon, minus Bruce Willis's team of oil riggers?

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Has anyone pointed out that Shinra's plan is basically the plot to Armageddon, minus Bruce Willis's team of oil riggers?

Which is why it failed, plus no kickin' rad guitar riffs.

Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Actually, Armageddon came out AFTER FF7. Bruce Willis and co. must've learned from Shinra's mistakes, clearly.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

Gus Hobbleton posted:

What, you mean like the moon is to earth right now in real life?

The Moon is actually very slowly moving away from Earth.

http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEhelp/ApolloLaser.html

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Thaddius the Large posted:

Which is why it failed, plus no kickin' rad guitar riffs.

Imagine how mindblown we will all be in 20 years when it turns out Uematsu was a ghost writer for Aerosmith

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

FillInTheBlank posted:

The Moon is actually very slowly moving away from Earth.

http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEhelp/ApolloLaser.html

But there is still a force, akin to magnetism, acting on the moon, which is the point I was trying to make.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Wow I never knew about chaining more than 2 materia. The only bosses that gave me trouble back in the day were Materia Keeper and Demon Wall. This boss wasn't too tough because at this point you know lightning wrecks machines. Like someone else I only remembered it because of the arm animations.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete

Gus Hobbleton posted:

But there is still a force, akin to magnetism, acting on the moon, which is the point I was trying to make.

Well, I wouldn't say gravity is akin to magnetism, what with the standard model not yet unifying gravity, the strong nuclear and electroweak forces.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Meteor is literally being attracted to the planet by magic. There's not much sense in talking about real world analogies.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Heran Bago posted:

Wow I never knew about chaining more than 2 materia. The only bosses that gave me trouble back in the day were Materia Keeper and Demon Wall. This boss wasn't too tough because at this point you know lightning wrecks machines. Like someone else I only remembered it because of the arm animations.

You can't chain more than two materia in FFVII, that was about Path of Exile.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Ablative posted:

No, he means when you link to several versions of the same materia.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Ablative posted:

Materia chains aren't materia links.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Is the Steam version worth purchasing if you don't have a psx?

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Orange_Lazarus posted:

Is the Steam version worth purchasing if you don't have a psx?

Do you have a PS2, PS3, PSP, or Vita?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I play the LLG on my PC with my PSX discs. Thanks ePSXe!

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I sold my PS games a long time ago back when I was poor and the newest console I have at home atm is my 64 which is buried in my closet.

edit: "Character Booster – Find yourself stuck on a difficult section or lacking the funds to buy that vital Phoenix Down? With the Character Booster you can increase your HP, MP and Gil levels to their maximum, all with the simple click of a button, leaving you to enjoy your adventure."

Wow that sounds useless. I wish they had just added some way to increase the difficulty or something.

At least there are mods for the PC/Steam version apparently.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Dec 20, 2013

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
The PC version on Steam is great to play but I do feel really guilty for supporting a release with such awful, shamefully lovely low-effort additions. The Character Booster is pointless, cloud saves are meaningless and badly executed and the achievements are among the most uninspired I've ever seen shoehorned into a game.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Yeah, it really is too bad they couldn't have done something special but I'll be happy if this just leads to the later FF games getting on Steam, especially the ones I haven't played after X but I'm sure that's a long way off.

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."
I think the most important thing we should take away from the Shinra plan to shoot the Big Materia into space is that PALMER IS STILL ALIVE! Aerith gets a pointy sword in a gut and goes down, yet Palmer gets knocked offscreen by a truck and still lives. This elevates him to the level of Jesus.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Enallyniv posted:

The PC version on Steam is great to play but I do feel really guilty for supporting a release with such awful, shamefully lovely low-effort additions. The Character Booster is pointless, cloud saves are meaningless and badly executed and the achievements are among the most uninspired I've ever seen shoehorned into a game.

Speaking of the Steam Version, it's on sale for $4 dollars right now...though Cloud saving is down. Again.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Silegna posted:

Speaking of the Steam Version, it's on sale for $4 dollars right now...though Cloud saving is down. Again.

I guess cloud saving is awful since they originally released the new PC version by itself, and the Steam version a year later. Having their own cloud saving system might allow you to use the same save file across both versions, but it's just an unnecessary pain for anyone used to Steam doing it automatically, or doesn't want to sign up for some Square Enix account.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

That loving Sned posted:

Having their own cloud saving system might allow you to use the same save file across both versions [...]

And even doing that was a nightmare.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Orange_Lazarus posted:

Yeah, it really is too bad they couldn't have done something special but I'll be happy if this just leads to the later FF games getting on Steam, especially the ones I haven't played after X
They've done the minimum possible work required to make 1990s-era ports work on modern PCs. I wouldn't be holding my breath for anything involving actual effort, such as new ports of games that didn't have PC releases at the time.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

That loving Sned posted:

I guess cloud saving is awful since they originally released the new PC version by itself, and the Steam version a year later. Having their own cloud saving system might allow you to use the same save file across both versions, but it's just an unnecessary pain for anyone used to Steam doing it automatically, or doesn't want to sign up for some Square Enix account.

Also, they apparently use the SAME SERVER for both FF7's Cloud Saving, and FF8's. So, when one goes, down? Both are inaccessible.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Oh wow, that sure makes me feel safer about the Cloud Saves~ 21th century technology! :haw:

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Silegna posted:

No cloud saving allowed should not be confused with no Cloud saving allowed. In the former case, you just have to keep all your save files locally; in the latter case, Cid would have to be the party leader for the rest of the game while the erstwhile protagonist lies forgotten at the bottom of the Lifestream with Tifa, forever and ever.

Just wanted to clear up any potential confusion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
This is awhile back:

quote:

Beta is a Fire Elemental Spell, so we do Fire-Elemental on the armor to halve the damage, plus Sadness to reduce it by 30% again. Then we use it back against her, and voilà, gently caress YOU MIDGAR ZOLOM.

OK it's been a long time since I've played but how exactly did you get your fire resistance to 50%? For some reason I think you put a fire materia in an armor slot but that doesn't seem to be working for me.

edit: Oh gently caress me I missed the elemental materia :(

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Dec 23, 2013

• Locked thread