Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

Red posted:

It's a shame he's got no charisma or interview skills - he seems like a really crisp worker.

I think its more that the new generation, so to speak, don't care enough about the business to improve. They're looking to get a paycheck and that's it. Case in point: Shelton Benjamin. He cared more about videogames than improving his charisma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

ColeM posted:

I think its more that the new generation, so to speak, don't care enough about the business to improve. They're looking to get a paycheck and that's it. Case in point: Shelton Benjamin. He cared more about videogames than improving his charisma.

Hunter? Is that you?

your friend sk
Dec 10, 2005

(ヤイケス!)

epitasis posted:

Hunter? Is that you?

Great Post

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

ColeM posted:

Should've been training that charisma stat.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

ColeM posted:

I'm inclined to think that improv classes and practice won't turn Shelton into The Rock.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Mick's angry promo on Rock for being selfish still has me in awe. It might be the only time somebody's words left The Rock speechless.

Because he was accused of something he didn't do and couldn't get a word in edgewise. The Rock was all like '...omg what even are you talking about.'

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

Red posted:

I'm inclined to think that improv classes and practice won't turn Shelton into The Rock.

Just saying that Shelton did not give a poo poo and look how far he went. Not saying just anyone can become the next Rock but they can improve if they put effort into it.

isnt that right
Dec 8, 2009

Nick_326 posted:

Q: Why doesn't Bryan use the Cattle Mutilation move anymore?

A bunch of people have already talked about this, but I think I remember him saying something about how the move just doesn't have any drama to it. The way you have the dudes arms locked makes it impossible for them to try to get to the ropes to break it up, so basically to get out of it you just have to let them go which looks pretty silly.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

ColeM posted:

Just saying that Shelton did not give a poo poo and look how far he went. Not saying just anyone can become the next Rock but they can improve if they put effort into it.

It's the company bro, there's a lot of really good pro wrestlers in WWE, the company just ruins talent.

Whether it's the lovely gimmicks and terrible writing (because god forbid someone cut his own characters promo), the even-steven booking, the start/stop/doghouse thing they do all the time.

It's like they have it down to a science, how do you ruin the Punk angle after Money in the Bank? A child could have come up with a better story than what we got. That was their chance to make Punk a breakout star and they poo poo on it to get Kevin Nash in the mix. Think about that, in the year 2012(2011?) they pulled the rug out from under someone so white hot he was pulling in new viewers and viewers who gave up on the product and they fumbled it all in order to get KEVIN NASH some screen time.

I'm not even a huge CM Punk guy, it's just so sad. At least he got a fat contract, what do we get?

/edit oh yeah don't forget Michael mcfuckinguilicutty

maniacripper fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Dec 16, 2013

Red
Apr 15, 2003

ColeM posted:

It's also possible that what Shelton did in WWE was his ceiling.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Shelton gave great performances night in and night out - by the time he was accused of 'not giving a poo poo' he'd been in the company for years and had never advanced beyond the midcard and being a perennial 'dude in the MiTB match to do flippydoos.'

Not to say that not giving a poo poo is a good response to that, but at the same time it's not as if he just never gave a poo poo from day one.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
WWE: Our wrestlers don't go out drinking or partying anymore, they just play video games!

WWE: DON'T YOU DARE PLAY VIDEO GAMES!

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Shelton is basically Dolph Ziggler except Shelton actually stopped being insane in all of his matches a few months after WWE stopped giving a poo poo about him.

Then WWE got all mad because HE'S CLEARLY LAZY!!!!!!!!!

HulkaMatt fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Dec 16, 2013

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Here's me thinking it's because Vince very famously hates black wrestlers. :rolleyes:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Aurain posted:

Here's me thinking it's because Vince very famously hates black wrestlers. :rolleyes:

Except...he doesn't. Look at Bobby Lashley.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Or The Rock?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Aurain posted:

That's why he put tons of marketing power behind Mark Henry even when it became clear that he was being pushed way quicker than he could really handle?

Also 'very famously?' I've heard racist vince stories, but they seem to come down to him being hilariously out of touch, not active hatred on his part. Not that that excuses it, mind, but there's a clear difference between 'iunno, spic it up' and 'the whites are the superior race and will inherit the earth.' Or 'restaurant owners should be allowed to refuse service to black people.'

Endorph fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Dec 16, 2013

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It was sarcasm, by the way.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

You don't really have to be a nazi to be racist, you know. There's nothing terribly quaint about "spic it up", that's pretty straightforward as these things go.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Basic Chunnel posted:

You don't really have to be a nazi to be racist, you know. There's nothing terribly quaint about "spic it up", that's pretty straightforward as these things go.
It's a lovely racist thing to say but my point was that all the racist Vince stories I've heard were in that ballpark - saying something racist and insensitive - not holding people down based on race. You're right that trying to measure racism was dumb though, I probably shoulda just said 'I haven't heard of him holding people down based on race' plainly.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Dec 16, 2013

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Didn't Vince have one of his affairs with Jacqueline?

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3ISVCkB_fU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Supreme Allah posted:

Because he was accused of something he didn't do and couldn't get a word in edgewise. The Rock was all like '...omg what even are you talking about.'

That's part of it, but if you watch the promo, a lot of what Mick about Rock says is pretty bang-on.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

That's TOOOONNY Atlas!

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

TL posted:

That's TOOOONNY Atlas!

How can I still hear Piper's voice so clearly in my head after all this time?

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

sticklefifer posted:

How can I still hear Piper's voice so clearly in my head after all this time?

He's standing right behind you.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I don't think they would have had any trouble pushing Shelton if he had even an ounce of personality in him. He had the in-ring ability and the pre-WWE credentials to be a guy they absolutely love, he was just a terrible promo and bland as gently caress most of the time.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

sportsgenius86 posted:

I don't think they would have had any trouble pushing Shelton if he had even an ounce of personality in him. He had the in-ring ability and the pre-WWE credentials to be a guy they absolutely love, he was just a terrible promo and bland as gently caress most of the time.

I agree completely, but he's a ton of fun to watch.

But it's also important to note that he's had a very good career. There's absolutely nothing wrong with Shelton Benjamin's body of work. Not being a megastar doesn't mean you failed.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
Patrice O'Neal told a story about Tiger Ali Singh begging Vince to stop making fun of his turban on TV because his family was being insulted and Vince telling him to shut up and put on the stupid turban. Vince is a racist and a misogynist, never forget.

DannoMack fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Dec 16, 2013

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
I seem to remember reading somewhere that Shelton was a guy who was perfectly happy with his position in the company and didn't seem too concerned with being world champion or aspiring to those levels and the company really soured on him for that.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Writer Cath posted:

I seem to remember reading somewhere that Shelton was a guy who was perfectly happy with his position in the company and didn't seem too concerned with being world champion or aspiring to those levels and the company really soured on him for that.

Well, I really wonder if that's just the narrative taken from Shelton being yelled at for playing video games backstage instead of watching matches.

He got a few chances at the top, and it didn't take - and not for lack of trying.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I've never understood that about WWE in particular. If a guy DOESN'T want to get pushed to the top, even if they're happy to stay on the midcard, they're called lazy.

I mean, you NEED a midcard. And Shelton was great in that position.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

It's probably more they want everyone exactly where Vince wants them and if Vince's control freak fetish isn't met there will be hell toupee.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

VogeGandire posted:

I've never understood that about WWE in particular. If a guy DOESN'T want to get pushed to the top, even if they're happy to stay on the midcard, they're called lazy.

I mean, you NEED a midcard. And Shelton was great in that position.

I'm sure the other workers love to work with the guy who has one memorable match a year because it has a ladder in it.

The Shelton thing is a little weird because it isn't like there's the same money or opportunities at the top of the card. They clearly wanted to make him a star at one point and he had the ring chops (and willingness to put his body on the line) to do it, but something clearly didn't click backstage.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
If Shelton couldn't talk then it's on them to figure out a way to use the things he does do well to make money and hide his flaws.

But again I think they either don't know how to book anyone anymore or are so he'll-bent on getting the WWE brand over that they don't give a poo poo about individual talent. I give the wrestlers the benefit of the doubt until they stop cutting guys legs off.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

What would you think if Roman Reigns ended the Undertaker's Wrestlemania streak?

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

I don't think anyone, new guy or not, should end the streak at this point. people don't want the streak to end.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
The real question is, what would the ratings be for Undertaker's streak ending, and should Cena turn heel during it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

triplexpac posted:

The real question is, what would the ratings be for Undertaker's streak ending, and should Cena turn heel during it?

I want to know whether the individual responsible for ending Taker's streak would be eligible for entrance into the WO Hall of Fame.