Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

IceOrb posted:

Yeah I don't need co-pilots to stay up but they are greatly appreciated when it happens.

You can definitely see when I poo poo myself and run away though and it happens every single time I see a mobile AA moving. You're lucky if you are up for even 10 seconds with one of those things rolling around.

That nimbleness extends to the other choppers though. Compared to BF3 and the two BC games, both games I really cut my teeth on with choppers, these choppers are so much fun to fly.

I kinda wish they'd let you load up test ranges in any map to figure out good chopper paths and get a feel for the maps cause for awhile at launch I would dodge around a building on Dawnbreaker or Shanghai and slam straight into a wall.

It's all good now though.

Strangely enough I think the transport choppers might be my favorite to fly. I really enjoy rolling a full chopper to a point and using freelook to spot targets for the gunners.

I definitely enjoy flying the transport choppers as well but for whatever reason the attack helos just don't do it for me. I also suck at hitting anything with the rocket pods, so that might have something to do with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?
This game has some silly deaths. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qf08CO_VZLA

Looking for some games on the Xbone later tonight, GT: Wazzit

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

Wazzit posted:

Looking for some games on the Xbone later tonight, GT: Wazzit

Please take a moment to read the original post, or at least the first section thereof. Thanks a lot.

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?

Beelzebozo posted:

Please take a moment to read the original post, or at least the first section thereof. Thanks a lot.

Sorry about that!

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

What am I missing with the ucav? Do I have to unlock air bursts? Do I just kill people by ramming them first? I swear I've hit people with it and they didn't take any damage

Auxiliary Treats
Jun 26, 2013
I don't know if I hit anybody with it last night but I was just crashing it at their feet and managed 17 in a round. It seemed like it didn't quite explode on contact since a few I landed right in front of someone and didn't get a hit marker.

E: HAHAHA! Googling for more UCAV info comes up with a reddit thread about how it's making the game 'unplayable.' :reddit:

Charles Martel posted:

Is it just me or did :dice: add a fuckton of recoil to the ARs and LMGs? I don't remember having nearly this much trouble in BF3 with mid-range fights. Whomever has the weapon with the fastest fire rate seems to win, but the recoil is so bad I either have to a.) take my finger off the trigger to burst fire, which usually gets me killed since I'm now firing at a slower rate, or b.) lay on the trigger which causes my AR or LMG to go wildly off target, and ends up...wait for it...getting me killed.

Anyone encounter something like this, or am I just going crazy?

In my time playing I think the best way is to tap-fire whenever you're in a ranged firefight. It really makes the recoil much more controllable.

Auxiliary Treats fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Dec 16, 2013

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Boom Shaka-laka

https://skydrive.live.com/?mkt=en-US&v=FirstRunView#cid=60BC5095134FFD51&id=60BC5095134FFD51!106&v=3

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
So I've reached Rank 10 playing Domination and am starting to get a grasp on things. I like the majority of things better in this game; the single-player campaign wasn't oh-emm-gee amazing, but it was serviceable, if a bit on the short side. At least I was able to finish it. Now Dice needs to just make it more interesting next time around in BF5/BC3/whatever.

As far as multiplayer goes, it has tons of potential. The maps are better, the graphics and framerate are (obviously) much better, but the gunplay feels much different this time around. I don't know if it's my slow DSL connection, but it feels like I'm a half-second behind everyone and even when I get the drop on people, they can still outgun me. The only times I've excelled in a match is acting like a ninja pussy and opening fire when people least expect it and I know I can down them.

Is it just me or did :dice: add a fuckton of recoil to the ARs and LMGs? I don't remember having nearly this much trouble in BF3 with mid-range fights. Whomever has the weapon with the fastest fire rate seems to win, but the recoil is so bad I either have to a.) take my finger off the trigger to burst fire to improve my accuracy, which usually gets me killed if the enemy is aware of me since I'm now firing at a slower rate, or b.) lay on the trigger which causes my AR or LMG to go wildly off target, and ends up...wait for it...getting me killed.

Anyone encounter something like this, or am I just going crazy?

Oh, and sniper rifles and shotguns are still as bullshit as ever.

Charles Martel fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Dec 16, 2013

Someguy
Jul 15, 2001

by Lowtax

Minky posted:

Just some Battlefield Moments™ from the last couple days on Xbone: http://sdrv.ms/INjMdG

That last bit was ballin' minky. Also the part where you hit the transport with the RPG shows how hosed up hit boxes are on choppers, the explosion is a couple meters behind the helicopter.

Dantes
Sep 3, 2003
It can never be too cold.

Charles Martel posted:

I don't know if it's my slow DSL connection, but it feels like I'm a half-second behind everyone
I wonder if anyone ever don't feel like this when playing Battlefield.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

Charles Martel posted:

even when I get the drop on people, they can still outgun me

Play on hardcore servers. Everyone has 60% as much health as in normal, which leads to more firefights being won by the player with the tactical advantage, regardless of relative aiming skill. It also means you can kill people with any weapon you like rather than feeling forced to carry the broken OP gun du jour just to keep up.

Charles Martel posted:

take my finger off the trigger to burst fire

No matter what you think it is doing to your rate of fire, do this at all times. If you try holding the trigger down you will continue to lose more shoot outs than you survive. This has always been true in this series of shooting video games.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Does anyone know if there's going to be double exp event soon? I just want to unlock all these weapons to use whenever I want and under normal exp that'd take forever.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I bought BF3 for tenbux to give it a try while I wait for BF4 to unfuck itself, and since everyone I play with seems to have a thorough knowledge of the game that I don't. Anything I should know about fundamental differences going in?

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Beelzebozo posted:

Play on hardcore servers. Everyone has 60% as much health as in normal, which leads to more firefights being won by the player with the tactical advantage, regardless of relative aiming skill. It also means you can kill people with any weapon you like rather than feeling forced to carry the broken OP gun du jour just to keep up.

No matter what you think it is doing to your rate of fire, do this at all times. If you try holding the trigger down you will continue to lose more shoot outs than you survive. This has always been true in this series of shooting video games.

Solid advice. Maybe I will try hardcore after I get a little more comfortable with the maps. What would the de facto OP bullshit weapon be this time around anyway?

I'll stick to burst fire, which I am used to doing going back to BF2 (I missed out on 1942 sadly :( ), but I swear it feels like they turned the recoil up to 11 this time. I could gently caress someone's poo poo up in BF3 even if they saw me first a good majority of the time, but I'm struggling here.

I'll just err on the side of caution, be tactical, and stick with it, I guess. When I get "in the zone", this game is the sex.

As far as maps go, Operation Locker and Golmoud Railway are fun, and Flood Zone can eat a thousand bags of dicks.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Charles Martel posted:

As far as maps go, Operation Locker and Golmoud Railway are fun, and Flood Zone can eat a thousand bags of dicks.
Agreed with those maps, although Operation Locker is really only fun when it breaks out in to battles all over the map rather than at one choke point. Zavod 311 though is probably my favorite.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
How do you spot in BF3? Or was that feature new for BF4?

Also drat, going down to the lower frame rate (on the PS3 anyway) is tough.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Spotting was originally Select. Don't how that'll work with DS4s

Samurai Sanders posted:

I bought BF3 for tenbux to give it a try while I wait for BF4 to unfuck itself, and since everyone I play with seems to have a thorough knowledge of the game that I don't. Anything I should know about fundamental differences going in?

Namely, since it's the console port of BF3, you're limited to 24 players and downsized maps. Vehicles don't have limited ammo in BF3. So fire forever. IFVs can pretty much bring down anything and are the most over powered land vehicle in the game. Lock on weapons don't require you to keep on target. Just fire and forget. That's about it.

Oh and no counter-knifing. Takedowns only work from behind. Swipes from the front do 50 damage.

yellowcar fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Dec 16, 2013

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Beelzebozo posted:

Play on hardcore servers.

How do I set up a preference to do this? Whenever I quick match I am never on a hardcore server.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I've now gotten 3 or 4 Veteran Battlepacks for my AK12. 328 kills. I still don't have all the attachments unlocked. :shepface:

I refuse to move on to a new gun until this happens.

Dantes
Sep 3, 2003

Ularg posted:

I've now gotten 3 or 4 Veteran Battlepacks for my AK12. 328 kills. I still don't have all the attachments unlocked. :shepface:

I refuse to move on to a new gun until this happens.
Go on your PC, log on the Battlelog, go to unlocks. It should take you 510 kills to get all the attachments.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Hm...so far 3 feels like a slower, uglier version of 4. Is there any great advantage to it, or should I just call it good and go back to 4?

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

Hm...so far 3 feels like a slower, uglier version of 4. Is there any great advantage to it, or should I just call it good and go back to 4?

It might crash less?

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

yellowcar posted:

Spotting was originally Select. Don't how that'll work with DS4s

r1, it's actually super nice and way easier to mash when you're moving since you don't need to take a thumb off your stick

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

BitBasher posted:

How do I set up a preference to do this? Whenever I quick match I am never on a hardcore server.

You half-answered your own question. You can't use Quick Match to play hardcore; you have to use the server browser. In-game I believe you click in the right stick on the server browser screen to change filter options. But gently caress all that, just use battlelog on a tablet or laptop to find and join a server running settings you want.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Charles Martel posted:

Flood Zone isn't so bad if you're rocking the Lil Birdy. Everyone tends to fight on the rooftops in the middle of the map or snipe from the rooftops of the high buildings, both of whom are easy pickings for your 30mm cannons

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

causticBeet posted:

r1, it's actually super nice and way easier to mash when you're moving since you don't need to take a thumb off your stick

I've been trying to break the habit of spamming R1 because while I run around I tend to spam it instead of shooting people or I keep saying "GET IN" "GET OUT" "SORRY" "AFFIRMATIVE" over and over again probably confusing the hell out of people. I really wish there was a better way to do those commands so I can have spot be its own button.

Edit: Apparently if you put a deployable that you can personally control like a SOFLAM in the capture radius of a point you can use it to capture that point remotely.

Step 1: Place SOFLAM inside the capture radius.
Step 2: Leave the area and do whatever.

Need to capture the objective back and your SOFLAM is still up?

Step 3: Find a place to hide real quick
Step 4: Swap to your SOFLAM and go into first person mode on the device.

Congratulations you are now capping the objective remotely.

Ularg fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Dec 16, 2013

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Beelzebozo posted:

You half-answered your own question. You can't use Quick Match to play hardcore; you have to use the server browser.

That is impressively retarded.

"Have a quick match but you can only use it if you want to find a quick match we want you to find."

You should be able to configure your quick match options.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

Ularg posted:

I really wish there was a better way to do those commands

There is… on Xbone. :smaug:

Seriously though, using Kinect voice commands to activate commorose functions is pretty drat useful. I can make my minimap icon flash the, "yo, heal me" sign to friendly assaults just by saying "need medic" aloud without breaking stride.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are

Ularg posted:

Edit: Apparently if you put a deployable that you can personally control like a SOFLAM in the capture radius of a point you can use it to capture that point remotely.

Step 1: Place SOFLAM inside the capture radius.
Step 2: Leave the area and do whatever.

Need to capture the objective back and your SOFLAM is still up?

Step 3: Find a place to hide real quick
Step 4: Swap to your SOFLAM and go into first person mode on the device.

Congratulations you are now capping the objective remotely.

Holy poo poo, need to try this with the mortar. This could be hilariously broken with 3 or 4 hidden mortars on a point.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Beelzebozo posted:

There is… on Xbone. :smaug:

Seriously though, using Kinect voice commands to activate commorose functions is pretty drat useful. I can make my minimap icon flash the, "yo, heal me" sign to friendly assaults just by saying "need medic" aloud without breaking stride.

The Commrose is actually best used to have conversations between characters by making them yell things at each other.

I know the cool new thing is using the UCAV to grief people, but I still find the old ways are the best ways

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
Is the mortar working or broken? It always permanently runs out of ammo after 3 shots when I use the thing.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Kinect voice for the commorose is hilarious sometimes. Mostly it just interprets me saying "ah gently caress" as Affirmative. literally any word starting with S to "sorry".

then I say 'need medic' and nothing happens :dice:

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Laserface posted:

Kinect voice for the commorose is hilarious sometimes. Mostly it just interprets me saying "ah gently caress" as Affirmative. literally any word starting with S to "sorry".

I'm fudged up but I'm up.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are

Laserface posted:

It works fine if you shout it the way your character does if you select it on the commo wheel.

Please take video of you doing this.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Do pubbies just not know about the UCAV or something? I expected the game to be unplayable at this point but I've only ever been killed by one other person using it.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Probably not the best use of that team's final ticket

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yIbdsu0JLM

Dantes
Sep 3, 2003

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Do pubbies just not know about the UCAV or something? I expected the game to be unplayable at this point but I've only ever been killed by one other person using it.
Getting it is a clusterfuck right now.
Only premium have acces to it for at least 2 more days.

Someguy
Jul 15, 2001

by Lowtax
Don't know if anyone posted this already but you can still get into the ceiling on Op Metro. Apparently the same way you could last time, via the MAV elevator glitch.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Speaking of which, how does Quick Match usually work with the expansions on consoles?

Do they ever run servers with mixed vanilla/expansion maps or do I kinda have to just do either/or?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I believe that during the Premium exclusive times there are no mixed servers. There will be mixed servers eventually.

• Locked thread