Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

I like this a ton, but I think the third note in the chord progression (once everything kicks in) is more sour than tension-building. Also the delayed hihats sound a little off-putting - maybe adjust the time or pull the delay back a bit?

Here's the latest build (god i need to stop coding) of a 122 bpm track i've been working on. Getting ready for Halloween? i dunno. It was fun to do and I love the bass tone.

https://soundcloud.com/betaproject/9-4-13-demo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

When I heard the synth line I wasn't entirely sure what I was meant to think, then I realized I was listening to hipster rock. When the compression came in I was a bit surprised, the drums feel way off from the synth, and the hats don't sit well with it. I think there's too much of a "thing comes in every 8" thing going on, but what you've got going on at 1:30 is really really good, and I think you should treat that more as the starting point and build up to that more quickly, the only gripe I really have is that the third note in your bass tone sounds out of place or even off-key, and given the kind of upbeat sound you've got going I'm not sure that works too well.

Seriously, the first half feels really weak and the only thing wrong with the second at all to me is the bassline.

So I've finally had a wee bit of time to sit down and work on something, and I've got two acid lines I'm trying to work with. I know the answer a lot of people feel like jumping to is "both" but right now I'm looking for kind of a main line for the track, and I'm also kind of trying to keep it this mix of modern and acidic, as opposed to something more hardfloor-ish. If this blows out your subs tell me, I don't have good speakers to work on right now. :(

https://soundcloud.com/helpimintexas/two-acid-lines

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Listening to and replying to a bunch of people, hope it's not too large. Again, I am not super technical so I can only really suggest vague feelings!

Jonny 290 posted:

Here is a rough cut of one of the first things I've done with my bass PA setup. I even left in a flubbed note (you'll hear it)
https://soundcloud.com/jonny290/crumbling
Still needs a lot of work, but I'm satisfied so far. No mastering, just normalize -> 3 db of limiter -> normalize.
e: Some people are confused, everything that's not drums is 6 string bass. I use Guitar Rig for processing, and run four Loopers in Ableton with a DIY midi pedalboard.

I like the bass a lot. The drums are kinda hyperactive though. Not bad, just really constant tss-tss. I also get the feeling you were going for (I think) but I feel like it could be compressed by at least a minute or two without losing anything. It just kind of goes on, a lot the same. It sounds cool for sure but at the moment it's "long background music" if you get what I mean. I like it though!

It's certainly dance-y! It reminds me of Scooter back when they did dance-y instrumental tracks. Not a whole lot going on but it's dance music I guess so there doesn't really need to be poo poo happening every ten seconds. I think another little melody that pops in occasionally would be a neat addition though. Nothing major just something small. Apart from that, I dig it.

I feel like this takes too long to actually get moving and when everything comes in it stops. And there's not really a hook to pull it all together. I like the sounds but I kept expecting some funky riff or an actual "song". I hope that makes sense.

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

So I've finally had a wee bit of time to sit down and work on something, and I've got two acid lines I'm trying to work with. I know the answer a lot of people feel like jumping to is "both" but right now I'm looking for kind of a main line for the track, and I'm also kind of trying to keep it this mix of modern and acidic, as opposed to something more hardfloor-ish. If this blows out your subs tell me, I don't have good speakers to work on right now. :(

I know you probably don't want to hear this, but it reminds me of Da Funk by Daft Punk. A lot. I half expected the daaa-da-da-da-da bit to come in. Don't get me wrong, I like it but if you slow it down it would sound awfully close. But then on the flipside, this means I think it has the same nice sounds that Da Funk has. So that's a plus!

syntaxfunction fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Sep 13, 2013

Lump Shaker
Nov 20, 2001

This has some cool stuff going on in it. Not sure what your intent is with this song, but if you wanted it to be more dancefloor friendly, I would bring out the drums a bit, especially the kick drum, and introduce a bit of sidechain. You might also try cutting out a bit of the low freqs on the various parts to avoid conflicting with the kick.

There is a distorted mid range sound that comes in at about 1:20 that doesn't do much for me, and just takes up freq space. I like the way you have that "snare" hit on every fourth beat though.

Here is something I've been messing with, a remix of P.J. Harvey's Down by the Water:

https://soundcloud.com/ttinga/down-by-the-water-snippet

haakman
May 5, 2011
Nice I like it. It sets a good mood.

I think the pizzicato strings could be either brought forward or given a bit of high end boost. I presume this is just an intro? You could crescendo into a nice, real distorted white noise invested bass. Take that current bass (I think it's a guitar) and really mess it up - maybe chuck a bigger drum in there? This is, of course, dependent on the actual P J Harvey song... I don't know if it has a big chorus.

The vocals are a bit muddy as well - I would either get a bit more high range on them or, alternatively, if there is going to be a chorus, get them front and centre when that hits.

Anyhoo - a new remix I am working on. The intro is poo poo, and a bit of a placeholder. https://soundcloud.com/ellywu2/mord-fustang-we-are-now

Lump Shaker
Nov 20, 2001

haakman posted:

Nice I like it. It sets a good mood.

I think the pizzicato strings could be either brought forward or given a bit of high end boost. I presume this is just an intro? You could crescendo into a nice, real distorted white noise invested bass. Take that current bass (I think it's a guitar) and really mess it up - maybe chuck a bigger drum in there? This is, of course, dependent on the actual P J Harvey song... I don't know if it has a big chorus.

The vocals are a bit muddy as well - I would either get a bit more high range on them or, alternatively, if there is going to be a chorus, get them front and centre when that hits.

Anyhoo - a new remix I am working on. The intro is poo poo, and a bit of a placeholder. https://soundcloud.com/ellywu2/mord-fustang-we-are-now

Thanks man, appreciate the feedback. This snippet is I guess an interlude because the rest of the song is more typical 4x4 techno. I will see if I can make some of those mix tweaks you mentioned - unfortunately this is just a bootleg remix and I don't have the stems so my ability to change the source material is limited.

Took a listen at your WIP and it sounds very nice. I don't listen to a ton of this type of music but to my ears it sounds very well mixed. The "sidechain" effect at the beginning could maybe be toned down a bit. Also w/r/t the big riser that comes in right before the break, it sounds a little choppy? Maybe that's intentional but it might be good to try to sync it to the beat a little more. Anyway, those are just suggestions, but it sounds good now.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Lump Shaker posted:

Here is something I've been messing with, a remix of P.J. Harvey's Down by the Water:

https://soundcloud.com/ttinga/down-by-the-water-snippet

It sounds pretty close to the original. Not that it's a bad thing, I guess I was expecting something different. It sounds like the normal song with more bass and some snare action going on. Very nice production though, sounds "clean" for lack of better word. I do like the strings going on. Sounds dramatic!

So I've been working on just getting ideas to files. My latest hack is Icarus and Daedalus (Yes, I have terrible sense of naming things). This is not the full song, I just recorded the main ideas onto my computer quickly. Transitions are blah, and no mastering or anything has been done. I just wanted to get the "vibe" of it out.

Lump Shaker
Nov 20, 2001

syntaxfunction posted:

It sounds pretty close to the original. Not that it's a bad thing, I guess I was expecting something different. It sounds like the normal song with more bass and some snare action going on. Very nice production though, sounds "clean" for lack of better word. I do like the strings going on. Sounds dramatic!

So I've been working on just getting ideas to files. My latest hack is Icarus and Daedalus (Yes, I have terrible sense of naming things). This is not the full song, I just recorded the main ideas onto my computer quickly. Transitions are blah, and no mastering or anything has been done. I just wanted to get the "vibe" of it out.

Thanks for the feedback! Took a listen to yours and it sounds good. I'm no expert in recording "real" instruments so I can't offer much detailed feedback, but one thing I noticed was that the vibrato effect at the beginning could maybe be toned down just a bit.

silverhawk79
Jan 18, 2012

syntaxfunction posted:

For a quick sketch, it sounds pretty good. I'm interested in hearing what it would sound like with other instruments. One thing I noticed was the weird 'wavering' (vibrato?) effect at the beginning. Was that intentional? It's a little off-putting to me. But for a WIP, this is pretty good.

I've been working on a little song for a while, and I'm trying to figure out where to go with it. I'm on the bass guitar and I'm fairly set on how I want the bassline to play out. I can rearrange it though.

http://soundcloud.com/dead-cats/cornflakes2/s-jICWy

silverhawk79 fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Oct 4, 2013

The Mutato
Feb 23, 2011

Neil deGrasse Highson

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

When I heard the synth line I wasn't entirely sure what I was meant to think, then I realized I was listening to hipster rock. When the compression came in I was a bit surprised, the drums feel way off from the synth, and the hats don't sit well with it. I think there's too much of a "thing comes in every 8" thing going on, but what you've got going on at 1:30 is really really good, and I think you should treat that more as the starting point and build up to that more quickly, the only gripe I really have is that the third note in your bass tone sounds out of place or even off-key, and given the kind of upbeat sound you've got going I'm not sure that works too well.

Seriously, the first half feels really weak and the only thing wrong with the second at all to me is the bassline.

I feel like this is a bit empty when you stop the kick and start high passing everything, maybe add in a white noise build up to fill in the space an accentuate the drop.

Here is a psytrancey thing I just started working on. Maybe ignore the last few bars, I am trying to do a thing where the bassline goes triplets -> quavers -> semiquaver triplets -> semi quavers -> etc into a sick drop but it's not sounding as good as I'd hoped.

https://soundcloud.com/danoliviero/demons-1

e: also points if you can guess what the sample is from!

The Mutato fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jan 19, 2014

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!
Messing around with the NASA-trying-to-drive-people-insane audio project. The real voice stuff here is all from astronaut memoirs. The "music" is meant to mimic the feeling of floating in an isolation tank and just going bonkers listening to the sound of your own breath and dripping water. It's not finished, but I don't know what the hell I'm doing with this project any more. I've got that kind of "I've crawled out on a ledge I don't know how to get down from" feeling about it that I get when I'm doing something really cool, and when I'm doing something loving terrible, and I don't know which until months later. :-/

Ideally this should be listened to on headphones in a dark room floating in a tub of warm water, but you do what you can. It's been a piece since I've reviewed tracks itt so I'll do that immediately. I'll do a number of them, since this fucker is so long.

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!

Jonny 290 posted:

Here's the latest build (god i need to stop coding) of a 122 bpm track i've been working on. Getting ready for Halloween? i dunno. It was fun to do and I love the bass tone.

I like it. It starts off sounding like James Blake if he finally got back on his meds and stopped whining all the time, but ends up with a really good energy. I feel like it could use a change-up in the chord progression at some point, but it's pretty darn good as is.

e: Wait a second, did you intentionally repost Rageaholic Monkey's track, or are we giving you feedback on the wrong thing?

silverhawk79 posted:

I've been working on a little song for a while, and I'm trying to figure out where to go with it. I'm on the bass guitar and I'm fairly set on how I want the bassline to play out. I can rearrange it though.

http://soundcloud.com/dead-cats/cornflakes2/s-jICWy

Good energy and a great bassline, but the guitar tone is a bit snotty and 80's metall-y for my tastes. I'd also get rid of the chatter at the beginning if you can. Occasionally a bit of that stuff can contribute a more "live" and intimate vibe, but in this case it just sounds like you forgot to mute a mic.

The Mutato posted:

Here is a psytrancey thing I just started working on. Maybe ignore the last few bars, I am trying to do a thing where the bassline goes triplets -> quavers -> semiquaver triplets -> semi quavers -> etc into a sick drop but it's not sounding as good as I'd hoped.

https://soundcloud.com/themutato/demons

I like this quite a bit. It starts off sounding a bit generic, but you really mix it up a lot in some fun ways.

haakman posted:

Here's something I've knocked up - https://soundcloud.com/ellywu2/sor2-master It's a remix from Streets of Rage 2, in a hybrid complextro/chiptune style.

I'm generally not a fan of chiptune stuff, but this is pretty nice.

mofolotopo fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Oct 6, 2013

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

This is a rough demo I put together the other day. I still have to actually record real drums, but that's tough to do in an apartment.

https://soundcloud.com/tom-f-lynn/the-vision

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

This is at once incredibly soothing yet also unsettling. The dripping was what made it weird for me, and I'm definitely agreeing with the headphones and bathtub idea. That made the whole thing work.

I don't know what the sample is from, nor am I normally a fan of whatever genre this is. That said I feel like it would fit in a playlist that I'd listen to while studying.

Knofle
Oct 20, 2013

Casual incarnate

Alternative pants posted:

This is a rough demo I put together the other day. I still have to actually record real drums, but that's tough to do in an apartment.

https://soundcloud.com/tom-f-lynn/the-vision

I enjoy this quite a bit. It's obviously rough and a bit out of time, like you said, but it's got a nice hook (It actually reminds me of a tune I can't put my finger on) and I like the bassline. Very jolly - yo ho and a bottle of rum. Try to make the recording as tight as possible, try to get rid of some of that noise from the acoustic guitar. I'd love a cleaner sound from it.
By the way, I'm just pretending to know anything about acoustic recordings, but that's my five cents anyhow.

I'm usually a fan of psytrance that's a bit faster, but this is fine too. Punchy bass drum, snappy snare. Nice bass sound, fits psytrance well. The chord progression doesn't agree with me completely, but I'm more of an upbeat kind of guy. I like the triplet break but not sure if I love the speeding up at the end. The pattern of the arpeggiated supersaw feels a bit overused - not that that should necessarily stop you from using it. It might just be the chord progression that I'm having problems with still.

All in all it sounds pretty good, but I don't completely agree with it.

From me, you get some bleep bloop, more specifically euphoric trance. Just working on something I might enter in to a local competition for computer music. I haven't arranged or mixed it properly yet, and it's pretty generic. Some people like generic though.

https://soundcloud.com/knofle/your-verity6-unarranged-mix/s-4molx

Ratbones
May 15, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

I like this a ton, but I think the third note in the chord progression (once everything kicks in) is more sour than tension-building. Also the delayed hihats sound a little off-putting - maybe adjust the time or pull the delay back a bit?

I liked this sketch a lot, but I would echo what everyone else said about the second half outshining the first. I do like the idea of building up the complexity throughout the song though. I think it just takes a bit too long to go from A to B, you know? I will also say that I really liked the tones of all the different contributing parts, but the bass is almost a little too rumbly on certain notes. It sort of wavers sometimes, specifically on the third note it sounds. May be my headphones though. I need to get some monitors.

This is a song I whipped up this weekend to show off this light sensitive rhythm hardware synthesizer I designed over the summer and just recently completed. The basic structure and rhythmic qualities of the song come courtesy of the synth, which I recorded and sampled. This is the first time I've ever programmed drums, but I had a ton of fun messing around with this. This is sort of a proof of concept at this point, and I'll be fleshing it out more I think. Let me know what you guys think.

https://soundcloud.com/photozoan/you-and-you-alone

Ratbones fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Oct 30, 2013

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!

Ratbones posted:

This is a song I whipped up this weekend to show off this light sensitive rhythm hardware synthesizer I designed over the summer and just recently completed. The basic structure and rhythmic qualities of the song come courtesy of the synth, which I recorded and sampled. This is the first time I've ever programmed drums, but I had a ton of fun messing around with this. This is sort of a proof of concept at this point, and I'll be fleshing it out more I think. Let me know what you guys think.

Oh man, I love this. I think the synth lead that comes in at around 0:41 is a bit too pretty for the rest of it, but other than that it's gold.

I don't really do bleep bloop music much, but I just got AAS' new Ultra Analog VA-2 so I was playing around with it yesterday. I might turn this into an actual song, I dunno.

https://soundcloud.com/danwarren/cascade

All sounds are VA-2, with various effects (Effectrix, Amplitube) and twiddles.

e: I also just spent the day messing around with this classicalish thing:

https://soundcloud.com/danwarren/abandonment-dream

It has lyrics, but I haven't recorded them yet.

mofolotopo fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Nov 3, 2013

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.
Despite it being submitted for a competition and the fact it's a good 7:30 long, this is nowhere near finished.
http://battleofthebits.org/arena/Entry/Hate+Speech+%28Parts+1+and+2%29/11341/

Knofle posted:

From me, you get some bleep bloop, more specifically euphoric trance. Just working on something I might enter in to a local competition for computer music. I haven't arranged or mixed it properly yet, and it's pretty generic. Some people like generic though.

I honestly don't know anything about trance, but this just sounds like keygen meets japanese rhythm game theme music. And that's a great thing.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

Also this.

Tweezer Reprise fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Nov 12, 2013

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

mofolotopo posted:

Oh man, I love this. I think the synth lead that comes in at around 0:41 is a bit too pretty for the rest of it, but other than that it's gold.

I don't really do bleep bloop music much, but I just got AAS' new Ultra Analog VA-2 so I was playing around with it yesterday. I might turn this into an actual song, I dunno.

amazing as ever, Dan. The Scientist and A Series Of Tasteful Nudes are up there on my favorite albums.

mofolotopo
May 10, 2004

TICK STAMPEDE!!!!

R3M posted:

amazing as ever, Dan. The Scientist and A Series Of Tasteful Nudes are up there on my favorite albums.

Awww, thanks! I'm not at all sure what I'm doing next in that vein. I'm thinking that I really want to change up the way I've been writing music, just to see how it works.

Previously I've pretty much always written lyrics and music simultaneously, I've never been one to write lyrics to existing music. I've also never really done much with synths, just samplers and a lot of audio manipulation. I'm thinking the next thing I do may be an electronic album where I write the music first and then write lyrics to it, just to really kick myself out of my comfort zone. I may even get someone else to sing it, which is another thing I've never really done.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Knofle posted:

So, yeah. I like generic sometimes, and this is very good generic. Nice work. Obviously needs mixing love but you pointed that out yourself.

Ratbones posted:

This is a little too experimental to apply standard critiquing to - I dig the structure and the amount of movement and interesting things that are happening. But.. you know. It's weird, dude! So keep being weird. :getin:

mofolotopo posted:

The first one is very pretty. You should definitely make some additional prettiness to go with it. I think the chord changes in the middle are a little frenetic for how pretty and chill the rest of it is. YMMV.

The second one deserves a better piano synth / sim than it currently has. It's beautiful and I like it a lot. :unsmith:

R3M posted:

Despite it being submitted for a competition and the fact it's a good 7:30 long, this is nowhere near finished.
http://battleofthebits.org/arena/Entry/Hate+Speech+%28Parts+1+and+2%29/11341/

...this is really interesting. I would love to hear it recorded with actual guitars and drums so the samples weren't so distracting to me. I like what you're trying to do here, but I think these ideas are not well expressed using the tools you're trying to use.

So after giving you my worthless dogshit feedback, Here's my latest electro thingy for your awesome comments:

https://soundcloud.com/mattwalters/and-another-opens-108bpm

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

sofullofhate posted:

So after giving you my worthless dogshit feedback, Here's my latest electro thingy for your awesome comments:

Firstly, the song starts very abruptly. After that, it feels like throughout the whole song, more layers keep on getting tacked on that don't really do anything for the song. Things get dropped to add new instruments from time to time, but then they all come back, almost always exactly the same. There's not much evolution at all.

Here's a thing I threw together recently. It's far from complete; I'm not sure completely what to do with it.
http://soundcloud.com/lhetgou/ait

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

sofullofhate posted:

I like the vibe you have going with it. I think it could do really well with some male vocals. Then the heavy instrumental chord part that starts at 0:53 could be a break. It is irritating hearing that pad keep going as long as it did, though -- it was loud and straining on the ear.

I really like it otherwise. I know Lhet says it feels like things just come and go -- I think vocals could fix that maybe, or some sort of melody.

Lhet posted:

Here's a thing I threw together recently. It's far from complete; I'm not sure completely what to do with it.

I feel like the snares came in too late, I was getting bored of listening to it by the point the song started picking up. The flute part's kinda cool. The kick drum is really light, is that a stylistic thing? I'm not really sure what you're going for with this song in terms of style. It felt like it could be a video game loading menu song, but then it sounded like there were some vocal samples, and I couldn't make out what they were. "Stallion"? I think you need to figure out what you're going for, even if just a vague idea.

Here's a sketch I did of a techno/house song. I haven't automated anything yet so pretend the noise and instruments fade in to each other better https://soundcloud.com/seesub-1/clickety-wip/s-7y1wZ

ashgromnies fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Nov 27, 2013

Sketches
Nov 29, 2013
I know I am new here but you really didn't have to dedicate a whole thread to me. Thanks guys!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

squakMix
Apr 6, 2007
WWWYZZERDD

ashgromnies posted:

Here's a sketch I did of a techno/house song. I haven't automated anything yet so pretend the noise and instruments fade in to each other better https://soundcloud.com/seesub-1/clickety-wip/s-7y1wZ

There are some great ideas in here. I like how the track has a hypnotic quality to it as a result of repetition of each element, and there are "hell yeah" moments. I think adding automation will go a long way toward smoothing out the track and making the transitions less harsh. I can see myself listening to this while doing another activity (like gaming or browsing the net), so the more you can do to make the transitions smooth the more I can just groove on it while going about my activity.

Something about the bassline that comes in at 2:03 doesn't work for me. I think the patch sounds a bit flat/generic, and when it comes in with the noise sound it's very awkward sort of "circusy" sounding. I imagine this section will be a buildup in the final version, in which case it'll sound great when everything gets clear at 2:35. I'm interested in seeing what you do with this one.

I played around with some vocals by Erykah Badu today to create a little doodle of a soul, downtempo chillout track. I would appreciate any feedback you have to offer! I'm currently looking for ideas for making the buildup before the drop better, improving the ending, and potentially extending the track.

Edit:

sofullofhate posted:

This is lovely. I agree with ashgromnies that some vocals would fit nicely with this and could potentially smooth out the transitions a bit, but the current transition don't bother me near as much as they bother Lhet.

Lhet posted:

When I heard the vocal part at 1:36 I thought "Awesome, this is going to become a chill hip hop track" but the vocal part never came back and the song faded out. I think more vocal parts (or a continuation of the part that's there) could add a lot to this.

squakMix fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Nov 30, 2013

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Lhet posted:

I'd play around with that vocal sample more. Chop it up, distort it, delay it, just leave traces of it all throughout the track.

mofolotopo posted:

I think this is great like it is and doesn't need vocals. Reminds me a lot of Eluvium. Vocals seem like they'd just drag this down because it works so well as an instrumental already. Maybe leave the lyrics you wrote for another track?

Here's my first demo in a while:

https://soundcloud.com/betaproject/svenjolly-demo

This is gonna sound stupid as gently caress, but I stumbled upon this video on YouTube of the Seinfeld theme slowed down by several hundred percent and it made me want to make something ambient. Then what I ended up making turned out be not all that ambient, but oh well.

This probably needs a bunch of work, but it's just a rough cut. I'm open to suggestions.

The Mechanical Hand
May 21, 2007

as this blessed evening falls don't forget the alcohol

I like the build and the atmosphere of it - but something makes me want to hear it with... softer drums I guess? I don't know if that might make it more boring though. The sort-of-rough sounding drums are definitely cool but part of me wants to hear more a more chill beat behind it. Don't know if I'm making sense.

This is also *my* first track I've worked on in a while. https://soundcloud.com/neonshudder/anxiety-attack

Not sure how I feel about the kick or the little synth notes at 15 seconds in.

My other issue is that at :30 the drums kick in full and there's this sort of crystal/high pitch bell thing I've got going on in the background and I'm worried it's too much like what is going on with "vietnam" by crystal castles. See 1:20 here-> (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1GnvlwE3g0)

I'm not saying my song is as good as theirs or whatever - just worried the idea there is far too similar? Or it's just a "oh hey, I can tell you were influenced by that."

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The Mechanical Hand posted:

I like the build and the atmosphere of it - but something makes me want to hear it with... softer drums I guess? I don't know if that might make it more boring though. The sort-of-rough sounding drums are definitely cool but part of me wants to hear more a more chill beat behind it. Don't know if I'm making sense.
Yeah that makes sense. To be honest, I usually use drums that are much harder than that, so the ones in that demo were already pretty soft by my standards :downs: But I know what you mean and that would probably help out the overall flow if I made it sound less edgy.

This is also *my* first track I've worked on in a while. https://soundcloud.com/neonshudder/anxiety-attack

Not sure how I feel about the kick or the little synth notes at 15 seconds in.

My other issue is that at :30 the drums kick in full and there's this sort of crystal/high pitch bell thing I've got going on in the background and I'm worried it's too much like what is going on with "vietnam" by crystal castles. See 1:20 here-> (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1GnvlwE3g0)

I'm not saying my song is as good as theirs or whatever - just worried the idea there is far too similar? Or it's just a "oh hey, I can tell you were influenced by that."
I'm pretty familiar with Vietnam, as it's one of my favorite CC songs. I can see the influence in your track, but I don't think it sounds like a ripoff of that track or anything. To me it sounds more like some old school Nine Inch Nails meets...I don't know, Future Sound Of London or something like it.

I like it and I'd love to hear more. I don't know if this helps you at all, but one of the laser tag arenas in my area (the one I've always gone to) plays stuff like this and has since I was a kid. Really helps reinforce the whole tense hunter/hunted mood of that game. If your track were expanded further, I could definitely see it fitting in with the rest of that sort of material.

Here's my new one:
https://soundcloud.com/betaproject/12-1-13-acoustic-demo

My girlfriend wanted a beginner acoustic guitar for Christmas so I went and bought her one today at Guitar Center. It's a Rogue, and I'd never heard of that brand, so I didn't exactly know how it would sound. I tested it out by making this, which is just a bunch of loops sewn together.

I think the guitar sounds pretty decent. I almost want to get one of these for myself after I give her this one. I've got a Fender Stratacoustic acoustic/electric, but for some reason, despite being a lot cheaper, I think I may have enjoyed playing this one even more than I do my Stratacoustic.

Knofle
Oct 20, 2013

Casual incarnate

The guitar sounds lovely, and I absolutely love tracks that slowly build up over time. The constant strum you have got going on makes it very easy to listen for timing errors, and you probably know that it's not entirely in time. That being said, there's something cozy about non-perfectly synced guitar music as long as it has a nice melody and nice harmonics, so you've got that going. I really like it, but I do prefer the early parts where it's not so busy. Very nice and homely.

At first I'm not sure, as I feel the melody is somewhat random and without much direction, but at 30 seconds you have me going. I love that over the top 80's vibe and I can dig the whole thing. You nailed the sound of the 80's, that's for sure, but its feel is somewhat more grimey than most 80's tunes would be like, so that's cool.

As for me, I just have this 30 second clip of someting I threw together today. It's very noisy, as it is Neurofunk (D&B). It's my first time attempting something like this, and I'm having a blast doing it. It's mostly for practice in using invisible sidechaining, equalizing and proper drum compression.

https://soundcloud.com/knofle/d-bpractice2/s-Ddi4s

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Knofle posted:

As for me, I just have this 30 second clip of someting I threw together today. It's very noisy, as it is Neurofunk (D&B). It's my first time attempting something like this, and I'm having a blast doing it. It's mostly for practice in using invisible sidechaining, equalizing and proper drum compression.

https://soundcloud.com/knofle/d-bpractice2/s-Ddi4s

I literally cannot listen to this without banging my head. Please make a lot more of it. :getin:

Here's a sketch I've been working on. I loving love my Push.

https://soundcloud.com/mattwalters/deep-and-down

Knofle
Oct 20, 2013

Casual incarnate
I really like it. I love the synths and the overall feel of what you've made. It oozes 80's synths, and it reminds me a lot of of Com Truise. Sometimes the harmonics are a bit sketchy, but most of the time they sound great with overall good chord progression, although at times the melody can seem somewhat random. I don't have any more stuff to post, but I thought I'd just say that I really like it.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Thanks for the feedback, sounds like

ashgromnies posted:

I feel like the snares came in too late, I was getting bored of listening to it by the point the song started picking up. The flute part's kinda cool. The kick drum is really light, is that a stylistic thing? I'm not really sure what you're going for with this song in terms of style. It felt like it could be a video game loading menu song, but then it sounded like there were some vocal samples, and I couldn't make out what they were. "Stallion"? I think you need to figure out what you're going for, even if just a vague idea
I actually didn't realize the kick drum is light because it sounds fine on my headphones. That vocal sample is mostly a placeholder (from Sifl & Olly), because I don't really have much of a library.

squakMix posted:

When I heard the vocal part at 1:36 I thought "Awesome, this is going to become a chill hip hop track" but the vocal part never came back and the song faded out. I think more vocal parts (or a continuation of the part that's there) could add a lot to this.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I'd play around with that vocal sample more. Chop it up, distort it, delay it, just leave traces of it all throughout the track.
As mentioned above, the sample is largely just a placeholder until I decide what to do. I just picked up a Korg KP3, so I'll probably (if I continue with this track) be using that to manipulate a couple vocal samples.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Totally oozing 80s, which knowing your workflow I'm guessing means DIVA? It feels a little bit busy at times, and I really agree with Knofle that it does seem a little random in places, which probably could be fixed by peeling back the elements in the mix a little bit. It just feels busy though, but probably in a good, Blade Runner kind of way.

I've been working on some hybrid of prog house and acid which needs way more acid right now than it has. Just a minute or so of it so far, and I'm probably going to rework how the 303 is fitting into it since it's kind of coming as a chill breakdown and I want it to feel more "holy poo poo" if that makes any sense.

https://soundcloud.com/helpimintexas/progressive-acid-1

Fuckabees
Aug 8, 2012

"White Liiiiiiines, blow through my miiiind"

--The Fat Boys
This one of those things that just kinda materialized. I know there is clipping on the isolated claps. I don't know if it makse sense to continue working on it. It was hastily put together, but after 6 months I a bottle...its my first day back.

https://soundcloud.com/chakaron/12-15-demo

Fuckabees
Aug 8, 2012

--The Fat Boys

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Totally oozing 80s, which knowing your workflow I'm guessing means DIVA? It feels a little bit busy at times, and I really agree with Knofle that it does seem a little random in places, which probably could be fixed by peeling back the elements in the mix a little bit. It just feels busy though, but probably in a good, Blade Runner kind of way.

I've been working on some hybrid of prog house and acid which needs way more acid right now than it has. Just a minute or so of it so far, and I'm probably going to rework how the 303 is fitting into it since it's kind of coming as a chill breakdown and I want it to feel more "holy poo poo" if that makes any sense.

This pretty awesome. Haven't seen any one use sort of glitch drums under synths that good at being 80s. Great job.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Fuckabees posted:

This pretty awesome. Haven't seen any one use sort of glitch drums under synths that good at being 80s. Great job.

If you're going to the throw up an effortless afterthought bit of feedback which amounts to "I like it" you might consider quoting the right post. Also come on, dude, put the same effort you'd like people to put into your post into some feedback for someone else.

Your synth feels super thin and everything feels like it's been quantized to 16ths without swing.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Knofle posted:

I really like it. I love the synths and the overall feel of what you've made. It oozes 80's synths, and it reminds me a lot of of Com Truise. Sometimes the harmonics are a bit sketchy, but most of the time they sound great with overall good chord progression, although at times the melody can seem somewhat random. I don't have any more stuff to post, but I thought I'd just say that I really like it.

Call me crazy, but when I listened to it, it made think that if the piece was played on a Mellotron it would be easy to mistake for Tony Banks. Which is a compliment - I loves me some early Genesis.

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I like this...in the first section, the syncopation gives it a really danceable bounce. The chord progression (or bassline) is good at keeping a sense of momentum, too. The B section is nice, but to my ears it doesn't differ enough from the first - I was hoping for something more aggressive, maybe a busier drum part. Take this with a grain of salt, mind you - the only electronic-type music I've listened to is Amon Tobin and Moby. Anyways, the B section is just the right length, I think - it provides just enough time for the more compelling A section to come in and work its magic. I think it has real potential - do you have anything in mind as far as a melody?

Fuckabees
Aug 8, 2012

--The Fat Boys

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

If you're going to the throw up an effortless afterthought bit of feedback which amounts to "I like it" you might consider quoting the right post. Also come on, dude, put the same effort you'd like people to put into your post into some feedback for someone else.

Your synth feels super thin and everything feels like it's been quantized to 16ths without swing.

Sorry, Meato to quote https://soundcloud.com/mattwalters/deep-and-down and not your response to it. Hasty, my bad. Thats. There is a bit of logic swing on the drums. But I didn't put it on any of the synths. What would you suggest to make them not thin? They are an FM8, Arturia minimoog and cs80.

Your track seemed like you modulated the arp gate, and used a canned acid house loop after the echo out in the middle, and was overall just a small melody with not much harmonic content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Fuckabees posted:

But I didn't put it on any of the synths. What would you suggest to make them not thin? They are an FM8, Arturia minimoog and cs80.

It sounds like you've got a bandpass filter on everything.

Fuckabees posted:

Your track seemed like you modulated the arp gate, and used a canned acid house loop after the echo out in the middle, and was overall just a small melody with not much harmonic content.

Yeah, that sounds really week to me too, in retrospect. :(

• Locked thread