Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Doltos posted:

So Christian boy's mom offed the dad by filling the car with bees after she caught him cheating on her, and she did it so that she wouldn't get fingered for murdering the guy.

I thought she put like, a bee in the car. Turns out she filled that fucker up with 500 discount bees. Then no one figured out it was a murder? I mean gently caress, the writers think we're stupid, but they don't have to go ahead and make everyone in the show's universe a bunch of morons too. Where's the suspension of disbelief?

This isn't really a plot-heavy, 'gritty realism' kind of show. It's a show full of stylish set pieces, dramatic camera angles, and scene-chewing acting. To be fair, that's not normally my cup of tea either, but for some reason this show makes it work for me as long as I remember what it is and don't expect things that it's not going to deliver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD
I would be surprised if this hasn't been discussed before and I missed it but just in case. Now that Fiona and Marie are kind of allies it would make sense that would Marie would want Fiona strong enough to actually kill the witch hunters since none of the other witches seem all that powerful yet. If Marie gives Fiona the same potion she gave Delphine does Fiona live forever as the supreme? I assume she would have to recover from the cancer, I wonder if her powers would become stronger again.

That's what I want to happen because Fiona is my favorite.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:
LOOK AWAY LOOK AWAYYY LOOK AWAAAAAAY DIXIE LAND

Series co-creator Ryan Murphy mentioned to me that Kathy Bates ad-libbed singing “Dixie.”
Gabourey: I was there for that. The scene happens once I close the door, so I was just standing on the other side of that door listening and waiting, and she goes into whistlin' dixie. It was hilarious. As soon as the director said, “Cut!” the entire floor just erupted with laughter. No one knew she was going to it.

Paradox Personified fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Dec 17, 2013

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
I don't think Marie would, or at least I hope she won't because that'd be a whole other level of ahistoricity and white supremacist religious ignorance. Syncretic New World African religions all involve ancestor worship and/or reverence, eternal life means never being one with your ancestors or becoming one. I imagine that's why it was reserved as the ultimate punishment for a dropkick like LaLaurie, and if they backtrack on that now then, welp.

OmegaBR posted:

That's a pretty huge risk to take. Always the chance the government(s) would quarantine and experiment on them, if not outright kill them due to how dangerous they are (able to flip machines, light fires, hypnotize or even suck the life out of you using their minds.)

Not to mention all the people of the world wanting to use their powers, resurgence and immortality in particular, if not want to acquire them for themselves.

It would likely be a very X-Men "Die Mutie Scum" situation, which all comes back to the original comparison we made with the school.

The problem with this is that New Orleans and much of the Deep South is home to a shitload of people who openly practice Hoodoo and other syncretic religious traditions which include folk magic, and Marie Laveau's Hoodoo is well-known to work and be loving powerful. Why hasn't she been abducted by the government? Unless within the universe of this show Hoodoo is completely underground, which hasn't at all been established. Without making it clear that, unlike the New Orleans we know, this New Orleans doesn't have widespread cultural knowledge of Vodun, Louisiana Voodoo or Hoodoo, anyone familiar with black southern culture is going to rightly call bullshit on the whole conceit.

Also I wish they'd stop it with the Voodoo doll bullshit and hadn't turned Marie Laveau into this stereotypical arch-villainous Voodoo creepster, she was so much more complex than that. Excising her Catholicism to completely and then having her do spells with Voodoo dolls is just weak. It's like Murphy read 'The Voodoo Queen', thought 'OMG WHAT A FASCINATING CHARACTER :hurr:' and left it at that. Which would be even more stupid because in that book Tallant accuses Laveau of using her position as a midwife to procure newborns for sacrifices, so why was she angry at LaLaurie killing that newborn again? Blarg.

E: I reference Tallant's book in particular because Angela Bassett read it to prepare for her role. :cripes:

Fruity Gordo fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Dec 17, 2013

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Yodzilla posted:

What if he's a witch hunter. :cult:

Just saying, called it in October.

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

Can Bernie count on you to add to our chest's mad sparkle? Can you spare a little change for an old buccaneer?

Fruity Gordo posted:

I don't think Marie would, or at least I hope she won't because that'd be a whole other level of ahistoricity and white supremacist religious ignorance. Syncretic New World African religions all involve ancestor worship and/or reverence, eternal life means never being one with your ancestors or becoming one. I imagine that's why it was reserved as the ultimate punishment for a dropkick like LaLaurie, and if they backtrack on that now then, welp.

The problem with this is that New Orleans and much of the Deep South is home to a shitload of people who openly practice Hoodoo and other syncretic religious traditions which include folk magic, and Marie Laveau's Hoodoo is well-known to work and be loving powerful. Why hasn't she been abducted by the government? Unless within the universe of this show Hoodoo is completely underground, which hasn't at all been established. Without making it clear that, unlike the New Orleans we know, this New Orleans doesn't have widespread cultural knowledge of Vodun, Louisiana Voodoo or Hoodoo, anyone familiar with black southern culture is going to rightly call bullshit on the whole conceit.

Also I wish they'd stop it with the Voodoo doll bullshit and hadn't turned Marie Laveau into this stereotypical arch-villainous Voodoo creepster, she was so much more complex than that. Excising her Catholicism to completely and then having her do spells with Voodoo dolls is just weak. It's like Murphy read 'The Voodoo Queen', thought 'OMG WHAT A FASCINATING CHARACTER :hurr:' and left it at that. Which would be even more stupid because in that book Tallant accuses Laveau of using her position as a midwife to procure newborns for sacrifices, so why was she angry at LaLaurie killing that newborn again? Blarg.

E: I reference Tallant's book in particular because Angela Bassett read it to prepare for her role. :cripes:

Yeah, I call bullshit. I remember reading that goddamn book (fun fiction). Good grief, if that's all she had to read, that explains a lot. But I imagine Bassett did more research and then maybe that was politely, curtly dismissed. Now, now, mustn't get too nuanced or anything. We want something audiences can understand even if they don't know poo poo about voodoo or hoodoo!

Surprised they didn't get to do any real research in NOLA, go hang out at a real voodoo priestess' temple. Or maybe they didn't care (very possible, it is pretty complex). There's a practicing voodoo priestess there, don't know if she's still around. Her name was Mariam. She was fairly authentic, she went into trances, did chicken bone readings and her sisters helped her not faint when she did readings (she went into trance and fainted when she did a reading for me, when I first moved to NOLA years ago) . She kept chickens in the courtyard to scratch up the bad juju. She was kind of impressive.

Okay, it looks like she's still around : http://www.voodoospiritualtemple.org/voodoospiritualtemplepriestessmiriam.htm
I got a pretty authentic vibe from her, at the time. This was in the mid-90s'.

Anyway. Yeah. Actually, pretty much anyone with knowledge of this more esoteric stuff is going to call bullshit.

Edit: From her site: "The misconception of Voodoo is then perpetuated when the Holywood producers take advantage of the public's misconception by making movies about blood thirsty Zombies and Voodoo priests and priestesses who buy and sell souls. Voodoo devotees, as in all other religions believe in an Omnipresent Creator and the Loa or Orisha. The Loa act as intermediaries (like the saints in Catholicism) between the creator and the human world. These Loa interact with people and things to help create and maintain a spiritual balance. Voodoo is a religion of the universe. The way it works is through the energies and intelligence which are directed and manifested of ourselves and our universe. There are various aspects of Voodoo: Rada concentrates on the positive side of Voodoo only. Petro concentrates on both the negative and positive sides Secta Rouge concentrates on the negative side Zobop concentrates on the extreme negative The purpose of the Voodoo Spiritual Temple is to educate the community about Voodoo and to dispel the myths and misconceptions associated with Voodoo since time immemorial.

Voodoo is a belief misunderstood. It originates from the Fon word Voudon which means: the power; that who is invisible; the creator of all things. It is the infusion of Traditional African beliefs with Catholicism. Voodoo, since its conception in the western hemisphere, has been the target of countless opponents depicting it as being a sinister and abominable belief that possesses anyone who dares engage in its practices. Unfortunately this is due to the deliberate misconception of priests (orthodox) and the the misunderstanding of writers, anthropologists, scholars and many more who publish inaccurate and false information. "

I don't expect AHS to go this deep, honestly. It's just not their thing. But I wish they did a better bullshit version at the very least. Interweave something authentic in there, and you can get away with a lot. Season 2 played a lot with the asylum theme and the scary mythology of it, but they got away with it because the characters were more fleshed out. Plus, musical number. Why don't they have a musical number this season? It would be perfect.

MadSparkle fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Dec 17, 2013

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010
Laveau's a caricature much like Fundie Mom. They don't represent who they are based on, or any real practices within those sects.

EDIT: And the people that killed Misty. Coven's really bad at portraying religion with nuance.

gnomewife fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Dec 17, 2013

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

Can Bernie count on you to add to our chest's mad sparkle? Can you spare a little change for an old buccaneer?

AGirlWonder posted:

Laveau's a caricature much like Fundie Mom. They don't represent who they are based on, or any real practices within those sects.

That's true. I just wish there was a better distraction this season from that detail so I wouldn't have to notice it so glaringly.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
I think it's safe to say they need to stick with drama.

I mean if this is what their "comedy" season is like, they need to stay far away from comedy. It would be one thing if it didn't make sense, but was funny. It's neither (save for LaLaurie hijinks from time to time.)

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
This season is pretty drat funny to me, but then again my attention isn't used up by this bizarre need to document the show's many lapses in realism.

If you see a scene like the murder by bees and your first thought is a realism concern like "but wouldn't the police be suspicious!?", like dude on the last page, then you're watching the show wrong. If you kill all the jokes don't go wondering why they're not funny.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

I suppose it would be somewhat fair to say that all of us not liking this season might have set ourselves up for disappointment in a way, by expecting a drama when the play is a comedy.

But that doesn't mean the comedy is a success. Bees in the car I can forgive. It's one of those random little details you just have to overlook, like how Lana escaped Bloodyface and just so happened to jump in a car with a guy who hates women and blew his brains out at her sight.

Yet the central plot is so wrought with nonsense and error and general unlikeability that it makes the little things like bees in the car stand out so much more. It's another one of those little shock moments meant to shock a reaction out of you rather than earn it through emotion and realization and powerful storytelling. And it might shock you or even make you laugh, but it's the latest in a long line of moments that reek of paying zero attention to plot or structure. And even in a comedy, those things are important.

It's not so much that the season is inherently bad, but it could have been so, so much more. These aren't bad jokes that are destined to flop, these are funny jokes they told the wrong way, and they flopped as a result. At least, that's how I feel about it.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
It's one thing for there to be a one-off "joke" like bees in the car, where you're not supposed to wonder how she wrangled bees into said car or how she didn't get caught, cause that's not the point of that side arc.

But I think the show intends for us to, say, wonder who the new supreme is and be invested in that plotline, but it's being delivered so poorly that we can't help but question the details of it as presented.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

Lord Krangdar posted:

This season is pretty drat funny to me, but then again my attention isn't used up by this bizarre need to document the show's many lapses in realism.

If you see a scene like the murder by bees and your first thought is a realism concern like "but wouldn't the police be suspicious!?", like dude on the last page, then you're watching the show wrong. If you kill all the jokes don't go wondering why they're not funny.

Indeed, the reason we're not enjoying the show exactly the way you are is because we're defective nerds incapable of having fun. Not that we're different people with different expectations, experiences and knowledge from you. Forgive us our trespasses against this unimpeachably fabulous work of art.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Why do you need to "forgive" the bees in the car in the first place? That scene is as good as any as an encapsulation of what this show is and always has been. Nobody has to like that storytelling style or tone, of course, but then why are so many here watching the show episode after episode expecting it to be something it totally is not at all? What will it take for you guys to conclude either "this show is not what I think it is" or "this show is not for me"?

Like I wasn't just being flippant when I compared it to Looney Tunes on the last page. This show is basically a big cartoon, and though its bad at being realistic (because its not, at all) it is good at being a cartoon. So now apply this thread's general attitude to Looney Tunes, and you'd get something like this:

AlphaAQ posted:

Well, I can forgive Wile E. somehow being alive again after falling off that cliff, but when the central plot is based on a coyote being able to mail order increasingly improbable ACME products it's just too much for my suspension of disbelief.

What's wrong with that attitude?

Lord Krangdar fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Dec 17, 2013

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

xeria posted:

But I think the show intends for us to, say, wonder who the new supreme is and be invested in that plotline, but it's being delivered so poorly that we can't help but question the details of it as presented.

Ok, sure. I'm not trying to say the show is unarguably flawless or nobody should ever discuss a topic like that.

Fruity Gordo posted:

Indeed, the reason we're not enjoying the show exactly the way you are is because we're defective nerds incapable of having fun. Not that we're different people with different expectations, experiences and knowledge from you. Forgive us our trespasses against this unimpeachably fabulous work of art.

Maybe your different expectations, experience, and knowledge are keeping you from enjoying the season as it actually is, sure. Nothing wrong with that. But then why keep watching a show that is pretty much as far as any show gets from this realistic, serious drama everyone seems to want?

It is pretty fabulous art.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
It does all come down to expectations, at least for me.

Think about the intros to S2 and S3. Both are equally creepy and contain a lot of horrifying imagery. Asylum lived up to that and sometimes surpassed it. Coven... blah blah WB show.

I'm definitely going to try to change how I'm watching it after the break in an effort to enjoy it more.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

fullroundaction posted:

It does all come down to expectations, at least for me.

Think about the intros to S2 and S3. Both are equally creepy and contain a lot of horrifying imagery. Asylum lived up to that and sometimes surpassed it. Coven... blah blah WB show.

I'm definitely going to try to change how I'm watching it after the break in an effort to enjoy it more.

That's a good point, Coven so far is very different in tone from both the intro and the marketing.

edit- VVV Maybe I should watch True Blood.

Lord Krangdar fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Dec 17, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
The trouble is Coven is a generally poor comedy with only a few moments of brilliance scattered here and there. For every BEES or Queenie/LaLaurie scene there's another full of ham-handed exposition, characters flip-flopping motivation at the drop of a hat, or sudden attempts at serious pathos that just come off as tasteless (or worse, repetitive.)

It doesn't do supernatural camp half as well as True Blood.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Dec 17, 2013

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Lord Krangdar posted:

That's a good point, Coven so far is very different in tone from both the intro and the marketing.

And the previous two seasons. That's my point. The name of the show isn't "Looney Tunes," it's "American Horror Story." Just because supernatural and other worldly things happen doesn't mean it's a cartoon where you can do whatever and expect it to be funny and enjoyable and fit the narrative. You can't include the Time Tuner into Harry Potter and not have people wonder why they don't just use that to fix all their problems.

If it's not a well crafted horror story, I'm gonna have a comment about it. You can only suspend your disbelief so much. Stories with magic and time travel and even all powerful gods still have to make sense to some degree, or else they're not good stories. This is even true of cartoons. If the Road Runner suddenly pulled a submarine out of thin air and dropped it on the coyote, you'd wonder what was up with that. You can also only tolerate stalling so much. Nine episodes and it feels like everything important that's happened could be condensed to two or three.

Go back and read my post about what Asylum had that Coven doesn't. That pretty much sums up my feelings on what makes a good season of AHS and why this season doesn't live up to that. I see the humor in it, sure, but I guess when they include something like bees in the car, it just feels like a sorry attempt to get some kind of reaction out of you that the main story is failing to do. Same with characters who die and then get resurrected, same with characters who tease being the Supreme despite being already ruled out, same with characters who flip flop between being remorseful and spiteful, incompetent and god-like.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

OmegaBR posted:

And the previous two seasons. That's my point. The name of the show isn't "Looney Tunes," it's "American Horror Story." Just because supernatural and other worldly things happen doesn't mean it's a cartoon where you can do whatever and expect it to be funny and enjoyable and fit the narrative. You can't include the Time Tuner into Harry Potter and not have people wonder why they don't just use that to fix all their problems.

It's not that it has supernatural/other worldly elements. It's that its consistently unrealistic and campy, with caricatures as characters and a focus on big over-the-top moments for their own sakes (like the bee murder). The show's title doesn't have to tell us its a cartoon, its consistent cartooniness tells us its a cartoon.

quote:

Stories with magic and time travel and even all powerful gods still have to make sense to some degree, or else they're not good stories. This is even true of cartoons. If the Road Runner suddenly pulled a submarine out of thin air and dropped it on the coyote, you'd wonder what was up with that.

Sure, but isn't consistency the important part there? Like if a show is realistic or serious I expect it to consistently adhere to the same standards of realism or that same tone, but AHS is not that show. AHS is consistently the opposite of that.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Lord Krangdar posted:

It's not that it has supernatural/other worldly elements. It's that its consistently unrealistic and campy, with caricatures as characters and a focus on big over-the-top moments for their own sakes (like the bee murder). The show's title doesn't have to tell us its a cartoon, its consistent cartooniness tells us its a cartoon.

Sure, but isn't consistency the important part there? Like if a show is realistic I expect it to consistently adhere to standards of realism, but AHS is not that show. AHS is consistently the opposite of that.

This particular season is more campy and cartoony than the previous two, and this particular season is suffering and being heavily criticized as a result. The over the top moments seem more random and disjointed and unconnected to the narrative at large, whereas something like "The Name Game" or evil Santa relate just how crazy the characters are becoming and fit the timeline. She could have killed him in any number of ways but they went with bees in the car because .... bees in the car.

And bees in the car is a little thing amongst similar big things. Like, why is Axeman, a ghost, suddenly able to walk and leave and get physical with Fiona? Or, why is Zoe suddenly able to kill all the zombies with a phrase or mentally open a book to just the right spell just as she needs it?

So when people criticize this particular season of a show that wasn't quite this over the top in the two previous seasons, that's the reason. You admit yourself that the tone is different from the intro and marketing, which were in line with the other two seasons. Like I said, if this is them attempting to be more funny than dramatic, I personally feel they need to stick to drama, because comedy isn't just a series of random goofiness. At least, not when you frame it under American Horror Story and the reputation the previous two seasons have built.

Now if you're asking "why are you still watching this particular season if you're disliking it that much," well, I don't have a great answer for that other than I do want to see how it finishes and still hold a slight glimmer of hope that it'll get better at the climax. But it's the same reason people don't drop their favorite team after a bad season or don't resist from criticizing the coach's decisions. It's not that it's campy and jokes this time, it's that the camp isn't being done well and the jokes aren't that funny.

OmegaBR fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Dec 17, 2013

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

I can see what you mean when comparing this with the second season, but Coven seems pretty close to the first terms of tone and cartoonishness to me. Like half the first season revolved around the Harmons being weirdly unconcerned about people just appearing in their house day after day. And there were still the weird WTF moments for their own sakes, like that whole pig storyline that IIRC lasted for a single episode and was never brought up again.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

So I take it the show never really became any good? Quit a few episodes ago.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

That's a fair point. And the thing about Asylum is, as much as I liked it, they really disappointed me with the way they wrapped everything up and basically cut five or six character stories abruptly. Obviously it wasn't immune to the random "huh?" moment, like Lana in the car. If they had killed the devil or Arden in episode five, I'd have been just as disappointed as I am in Coven.

Overall I guess it's just that disappointment over how the season has turned out. They would have you believe we were getting a historical account of Salem witchcraft vs. Voodoo with jumps between time periods and a struggle to survive in the modern New Orleans. And instead it's slowly devolved into a CW teen drama about snotty and incompetent girls who seem to have no motivation but winning a popularity contest, which will now take a backseat to enemies becoming friends against a threat that was only just seriously introduced.

Any little thing that corroborates that disappointment, like bees in the car, will tend to be highlighted. Even if it kinda humorous. I mean, to be honest, even though it was equally unnecessary and shock value, I kinda chuckled at seeing Myrtle go Dexter on the Council's bodies.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Yeah I can see what people mean with the broader complaints about this season's structure, pacing, and lack of focus, even as that stuff doesn't really impact my own enjoyment of the show. A lot of that can be explained by the sorta spoilers posted earlier that the writers were considering making this story last two seasons, so maybe now the show will be more focused as it gets closer to the finale.

I don't know that this season was ever meant to be historically accurate, though, and it wasn't really sold that way apart from having two characters really loosely based on real people. Again, they're basically cartoon caricatures of those historical figures.

Chex Warrior
Oct 26, 2007
Actually, the scene of Myrtle clapping those feet in her Breaking Bad lair was revelatory for me. This season is a pitch-black comedy. This isn't a bad thing or even off-premise; there are plenty of campy horror-comedies in the American Horror genre.

That being said, I'm not good with black comedy. I tend to be more upset by human suffering when I feel urged to laugh at it. For instance, the running gag of mothers horribly abusing their saint-like sons just puts me off, as I've had friends in similar situations. It's not ever dealt with, like Lana's rape and pregnancy in Asylum, because the incidents are presented as morbid jokes rather than serious drama.

This isn't an SJW condemnation of the show by any means. I understand that dark comedy works for a lot of people. I'm not one of them :(

Chex Warrior fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Dec 17, 2013

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

Lord Krangdar posted:

Yeah I can see what people mean with the broader complaints about this season's structure, pacing, and lack of focus, even as that stuff doesn't really impact my own enjoyment of the show. A lot of that can be explained by the sorta spoilers posted earlier that the writers were considering making this story last two seasons, so maybe now the show will be more focused as it gets closer to the finale.

I don't know that this season was ever meant to be historically accurate, though, and it wasn't really sold that way apart from having two characters really loosely based on real people. Again, they're basically cartoon caricatures of those historical figures.

This is my take still, I don't have a problem with beez or Nan's abilities being plot depended, but i do have an issue with the show introducing yet another major player at episode 8 of 13. The episodes individually have had some draw or another (I'll forgive a whole lot to see Myrtle clapping the feet together}, but the disconnectedness, the lack of focus from one episode to the next is really disappointing.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
I tend to like fiction that's a series of shocking or beautiful disjointed events, which is partly how I see the world. Seasons 1 & 2 worked for that. Coven is just too boring. The bee murder should have played as a gothic twist. It sounds like something from a Jeremy Brett Sherlock Holmes movie, but was filmed so casually. Most of Coven is like that, taking the supernatural and making it mundane or boring. The Hunters are another step to that, as is taking away the blind oracle (which is an old, powerful image, dating at least to Tiresias).

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
I think what we're running up against with Coven is that the show spent 8 episodes throwing plates in the air -- FrankenKyle, people dying and resurrecting left and right, religious murder mom, Hank and the witch hunters, the Axeman, etc -- and only just last week started to bring down any of them (with Hank's death). Or rather, Hank's death was the first time we saw something have an (apparently) real, lasting consequence that also impacts other characters. Nan will probably be sad that Patti LuPone killed her son but will anyone else care?

The stuff that's still lingering, though, doesn't seem to be leading to any clear resolution. Take the Axeman - he's a ghost made corporeal who we spent a couple episode learning about and watching his connection to Fiona...and now that the witch hunters are in play, he's just gone. Could he come back in the last four episodes? Maybe, but if he does, the show hasn't hinted at all as to what part he may still have to play (beyond maybe "protect Fiona").

And this is all probably a result of them planning on a second season or spinoff until at latest episode 9 that we haven't really seen much in the way of progress toward resolution for most of the established storyline sand character arcs.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I hope charlie day gets resurrected and guns everyone down

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
The issue with realism is that this is Americian Horror Story. It's supposed to be scary. People I talk to think it's scary. I see facebook posts all the time about how people think it's scary. The first two seasons had legitimate parts of the show that were frightening. Without a sense of realism, you can't get scared.

Now I know it's not supposed to be 100% a horror show. It's mostly drama, which is fine, but it's a drama with horror elements. That's why we all started to watch this show in the first season. It was a soap opera that got dark, quick. Season 2 tried to make it a horror show with drama tied into it, and that worked pretty well until they couldn't tie up half the plot points due to overreaching with 3 or 4 different story arcs.

This season is different. The issue with scary is that if you don't have a sense of realism, there's nothing to get scared at. It becomes too cartoonish and hokey. It removes its sense of fear and becomes a comedy in its place, which is why many people in this thread are calling this season a "black-comedy" while I just call it poor writing and plot development. You can see it this season. Every main character has something that protects them and gives them a get out of jail free card. Every story arc they take seems to be for shock value. Incest Mom/Son relationship, Necrophelia, Torture. Kathy Bates character was based off of a real woman in Louisiana, which made me think she was going to be this awful person to deal with, and they go around and turn her into a joke punching bag with a weak "I'm not racist anymore!" plot line.

Without realism, the show loses its luster. Without characters having a sense of helplessness, I lose sympathy with the character. This season just doesn't feel like the past two.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
I thought season one was much funnier than this season. It was also a lot scarier too. This season feels like a bad season of Buffy.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
The witch season has been the worst for AHS and True Blood. No more witches!

KIT HAGS
Jun 5, 2007
Stay sweet
What this season is missing is a sense of despair. In Murder House, this was done through the various ghosts, especially the character of the maid. In Asylum, well...all of it.

Eddie Nashton
Jul 11, 2005

whaaaaaat
Chiming in to say that this season is my favorite. My friends and I watch a couple episodes now and then, it makes us laugh and go "HOLY poo poo" so that's about all I ask. I guess we watch things in a more disjointed way than most people, I've seen this season as a series of vague happenings. It totally works for me though. I love the scenery, I love the outfits, I love the dialogue. I love seeing all of the characters meandering around their lives being terrible and chic. It works really well as a psychotic followup to Real Housewives.

We liked season 1, I never found it scary at all though. We gave up on season 2 a few episodes in because it was heinous and boring. There was just no enjoyment to it whatsoever, it wasn't fun to watch. With this season, obviously I am in the extreme minority here but I don't really care about ironing out all of these details. I'm just watching it to see Fiona be fabulous. I was a little miffed at the portrayal of voodoo at first, but then I realized that was stupid because everything is portrayed as completely twisted. It would be weird to have one group be treated so much more respectfully than the others.

That gif someone posted of Fiona looking phenomenal and throwing her cigarette to light the pyre from a million feet away is a complete encapsulation of everything I adore about this season. It's the best. ...but clearly not for everyone. Or most people. :( Reading this thread has been a surprising revelation to me, I thought everyone loved it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Some people only want an intense, harrowing, pure horror experience. Some people are happy with a 13-hour Sam Raimi movie. Those are both within the gamut of "horror", but the show can only be one thing at a time. The upside is, though, next season will probably swing back in the other direction again.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Dec 19, 2013

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.
I just watched Asylum and it was rarely scary. Fun, intriguing and very good, though.

The Name Game...

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Finndo posted:

The Name Game...

...was the worst thing ever. I still can't even begin to understand the purpose that scene was supposed to understand other than be massive fan-service for the weirdo Tumblr crowd that get way too hung up on the characters. I just rewatched that episode two nights ago and hated it even more.

Enormatron
Dec 22, 2009

Eddie Nashton posted:

Chiming in to say that this season is my favorite. My friends and I watch a couple episodes now and then, it makes us laugh and go "HOLY poo poo" so that's about all I ask. I guess we watch things in a more disjointed way than most people, I've seen this season as a series of vague happenings. It totally works for me though. I love the scenery, I love the outfits, I love the dialogue. I love seeing all of the characters meandering around their lives being terrible and chic. It works really well as a psychotic followup to Real Housewives.

We liked season 1, I never found it scary at all though. We gave up on season 2 a few episodes in because it was heinous and boring. There was just no enjoyment to it whatsoever, it wasn't fun to watch. With this season, obviously I am in the extreme minority here but I don't really care about ironing out all of these details.

You're not alone there. I still liked Murder House the most but I like this season way more than last year.

haveblue posted:

Some people only want an intense, harrowing, pure horror experience. Some people are happy with a 13-hour Sam Raimi movie. Those are both within the gamut of "horror", but the show can only be one thing at a time. The upside is, though, next season will probably swing back in the other direction again.

I love both horror and camp. The thing is, you can only make a show on basic cable so intense. (e: Just to clarify, being overly violent and such isn't enough to make something scary on its own. The point is that I don't go into AHS expecting to be scared, instead I'm expecting to be entertained.) A mental hospital run by sadistic nuns is a great concept for a horror show because you can do so many weird things that tie to the main story but I just don't think enough was done with most of the ideas to make them interesting, call me jaded. It's not surprising that so many people liked the pure horror content of Asylum more but since it wasn't scary I thought of it all as piling more and more dead end plot points onto the ones it already had. Oh, Anne Frank is character on the show now and Dr. Arden is actually a Nazi... okay. So yeah, Sam Raimi is perfectly fine with me.

Enormatron fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Dec 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

TheBizzness posted:

The witch season has been the worst for AHS and True Blood. No more witches!

The witch season of True Blood was the reason I never got excited about this season. Then I really liked the first few episodes and it tricked me into liking it!

Bottom Liner posted:

...was the worst thing ever. I still can't even begin to understand the purpose that scene was supposed to understand other than be massive fan-service for the weirdo Tumblr crowd that get way too hung up on the characters. I just rewatched that episode two nights ago and hated it even more.

I am so glad you said this. I thought I was alone in thinking "what the gently caress is this?"

escape artist fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Dec 19, 2013

• Locked thread