Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

It's on Christmas Eve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.
Yeah I might be in, it'll be my first live game though. Sending you an email now.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

You're in. Will send out some pregens tomorrow. You guys are free to use or ignore them.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Any other campaigns looking for people? I could use more familiarity with this system.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Dec 14, 2013

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
On that subject, if you're d20-literate and you're given a pregen, what other stuff do you need understand about 13th Age to play it?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

P.d0t posted:

On that subject, if you're d20-literate and you're given a pregen, what other stuff do you need understand about 13th Age to play it?

What a One Unique Thing is, how backgrounds replace skills, and how to use an icon.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

You may also want to go over how movement, engagement, and positioning work. You'd be surprised at how lost people can be without squares to count.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Specifically that "nearby" and "far away" aren't so much hard distances as they are shorthand for "1/2 move actions away" seems to trip my people up a whole lot.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Well, ran the first session of 13th Age. It went... okay.

Starting with a big investigative thing was probably a mistake, or at least I probably should've paced it a lot better. It went far longer than I expected it to, and between me just giving dull descriptors of various rooms and the players displaying their usual lack of initiative and proactiveness it just dragged. Still, everyone said they enjoyed it, so I'm probably being my own worst critic. We got roughly halfway through the adventure before we called it because the British players were getting dead tired.

Highlights were the players treating the stone clutched in the hand of the skeleton of the long-dead alchemist like it touching it was certain doom. They seem to be under the impression that it is a philospher's stone (what I expected) however because "essence" was one of the few words they were able to pick out of an ancient book the alchemist was reading, they think the stone is powered by souls and killed the alchemist during his transmutation experiment(not expected). In actuality in the original module the stone was merely the Alchemist's luckstone (now cursed due to being clutched by a corpse for 20 years (the mage died of a heart attack when HOLY poo poo IT WORKED). However I might change my mind on the stone's nature, if only because I'm not sure how to do a cursed luckstone as a magic item, since cursed items in 13th age are still supposed to be beneficial, just with drawbacks.

The other highlight of sorts was a bit of inspiration regarding the Bard. The Bard is a real weirdo who somehow has an electric guitar and whose out basically makes him the Messiah of Rock for a forgotten god of music, I figured he needed a rival for if this ever develops. While they were fighting Sanbalet the illusionist, with him firing off blasts of colored light and the Bard firing back with thunderous power chords, I was seized by the inspiration of a potential rival for the Bard...

Enter the Dubstep Wizard. In the employ of the Diabolist of course (whom the bard has -2 relationship with).

Though maybe that is getting a bit too crazy. Though now I can't stop imagining what his attacks and abilities might look like. Especially if his DJ Table was a dark altar to the Diabolist and a "monster" of its own.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Highlights were the players treating the stone clutched in the hand of the skeleton of the long-dead alchemist like it touching it was certain doom. They seem to be under the impression that it is a philospher's stone (what I expected) however because "essence" was one of the few words they were able to pick out of an ancient book the alchemist was reading, they think the stone is powered by souls and killed the alchemist during his transmutation experiment(not expected).
Are you playing with my group?

Sounds like they just saved you the trouble of coming up with an exciting magic item/backstory/plot hook, though. Plus, if you make it so retroactively now, they'll feel really smart for avoiding the "trap."

quote:

Though maybe that is getting a bit too crazy. Though now I can't stop imagining what his attacks and abilities might look like. Especially if his DJ Table was a dark altar to the Diabolist and a "monster" of its own.
Yep, not seeing anything wrong with this. Have you played Saints Row 4 by any chance? Might give you some ideas.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

One of the Rangers* grabbed the stone. Not with his bare skin, of course, but used a cloth. Cause surely that'd protect him. I just told him "you put the stone away, wrapped safely in cloth... right? I mean, you totally didn't touch it... directly I mean! That means you're ok, yeah? Worry and dread nags at the back of your mind."

I dunno, I might make the cursed luckstone something more important, but I've already got the Alchemist's notebook for that. The book is basically "Philosopher's Stones for Dummies" and thanks to an Elf Queen relationship roll at the beginning is written in some ancient, disused Elvan script/dialect and partially coded and filled with complicated words the characters, none of who are elves, don't recognize.

A couple of them are half-elves though, including the same ranger who grabbed the stone. His OUT is thats he is one of those Half-Elves born to parents of the same race. Except instead of his parents being Humans or Elves, they were Orcs. What this means for the Orcish race is a mystery.

And I'm quite familiar with the dubstep gun. Explosive Wubs would probably be the basis of at least one attack of this Wizard. :v:

* The party has two rangers, go figure. At least one prefers shooting things with his bow while the other prefers to close in and dual wield.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Dec 15, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
So finally got to play as the monk in a one shot the other night and....it's not a great version of the class. Most of problems on my first read through weren't massaged by actually playing it. It's not really an improvement from any angle and its kind of sad.

Commander seems okay I guess though. Didn't get to play one but my friend played one when I was trying out the monk and I like the Shouts/whatever they're called.

I've got my feedback saved as a pastebin, if anyone's interested.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Dec 15, 2013

RyvenCedrylle
Dec 12, 2010

Owner of Mystic Theurge Publications

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Commander seems okay I guess though. Didn't get to play one but my friend played one when I was trying out the monk and I like the Shouts/whatever they're called.

I've got my feedback saved as a pastebin, if anyone's interested.

Yes. Whole-heartedly.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

RyvenCedrylle posted:

Yes. Whole-heartedly.

It's mostly what I stated here but worded better and with time to think on it.

http://pastebin.com/wBbCgd5j

RyvenCedrylle
Dec 12, 2010

Owner of Mystic Theurge Publications
So here's a not-entirely-finished version of a Martial Artist I've been toying around with. Kinda got distracted by the Stalwart but maybe I'll be able to wrap it up this week.

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

"The basis of the Juche Idea is that man is the master of all things and the decisive factor in everything."
- Kim Il-Sung

RyvenCedrylle posted:

So here's a not-entirely-finished version of a Martial Artist I've been toying around with. Kinda got distracted by the Stalwart but maybe I'll be able to wrap it up this week.

I have to say from a small glance I prefer your idea on forms as more like martial arts stances than what is demonstrated in the monk play test proper. I mean I want to switch stances as the situation demands and be able to respond to the situation accordingly.

I'll probably bring this to my GM to see if it'll be fun to use this in the upcoming one shot she was planning.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

RyvenCedrylle posted:

Wow, this looks really good. I'll ask my Monk player if he wants to try this out in tomorrow's game, see how it runs.

Zarah
Sep 30, 2010

SUCCESS
There's only one way to go from the top.
So my group has been playing 13th Age for a few months now, and we all agree that it's great. We've also been recording video of our sessions pretty much since the beginning, not unlike the guys in the LP thread. We don't really know what to do or where to put the final videos, so I'm coming here bearing them in hopes that at least someone is marginally entertained.

Here is our playlist. We use VirtualDaivve, same as the crew in the LP thread. Some sessions don't have any video to go along with the audio, so I just stuck some random game footage behind it instead. FYI, I'm really bad at XCOM. Don't judge me.

However, shameless self-promotion isn't the only reason I came here today. I'm playing with the idea of converting 13th Age into use in the Star Wars universe. Obviously Icons, backgrounds, and one unique things won't be that hard to adapt, but I don't really know where to start with the classes. I could just say some classes are off-limits, but I'd rather be able to adapt them in a way that makes sense in-universe. I've been looking at Edge of the Empire for some ideas and I'm even playing with the idea of just mashing some classes together or making up some new stuff as well.

Anyone have any ideas? Or want to point out any other potential problem areas in the whole Star Wars adaptation idea?

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Zarah posted:

So my group has been playing 13th Age for a few months now, and we all agree that it's great. We've also been recording video of our sessions pretty much since the beginning, not unlike the guys in the LP thread. We don't really know what to do or where to put the final videos, so I'm coming here bearing them in hopes that at least someone is marginally entertained.

Here is our playlist. We use VirtualDaivve, same as the crew in the LP thread. Some sessions don't have any video to go along with the audio, so I just stuck some random game footage behind it instead. FYI, I'm really bad at XCOM. Don't judge me.

However, shameless self-promotion isn't the only reason I came here today. I'm playing with the idea of converting 13th Age into use in the Star Wars universe. Obviously Icons, backgrounds, and one unique things won't be that hard to adapt, but I don't really know where to start with the classes. I could just say some classes are off-limits, but I'd rather be able to adapt them in a way that makes sense in-universe. I've been looking at Edge of the Empire for some ideas and I'm even playing with the idea of just mashing some classes together or making up some new stuff as well.

Anyone have any ideas? Or want to point out any other potential problem areas in the whole Star Wars adaptation idea?

What potential problems do you see in potential classes? I don't know a whole lot about Star Wars, but is the force significantly different from magic? Is there anything truly problematic enough that you can't hand wave it away?

Zarah
Sep 30, 2010

SUCCESS

The Cumburglar posted:

What potential problems do you see in potential classes? I don't know a whole lot about Star Wars, but is the force significantly different from magic? Is there anything truly problematic enough that you can't hand wave it away?

The main issue I have is that the Force is generally less overt than most uses of magic in fantasy tabletop settings. Unlike a Wizard or Sorcerer where they rely on their spells as their primary method of attack, a Jedi uses the Force and his "spells" to support himself while still being very effective in melee combat. That's probably closer to being a Cleric than anything.

I think the problem is that Star Wars doesn't really have a good comparison for Sorcerers and Wizards.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
What I'd do is refluff it as tech. What is Scorching Ray if not a laser?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

PublicOpinion posted:

A Searing Smack of my Wok for my Anime Battle Chef game :colbert:

Zarah
Sep 30, 2010

SUCCESS

PublicOpinion posted:

That makes sense. I had thought of that for other classes, but for some reason didn't consider it for the magic casters. Bounty hunters are pretty much tech wizards as it is. Go figure.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Han Solo is a ranger, Chewie is his animal companion

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I think you've got that one backwards.

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.
My new group had our chargen session today. Three players: one experienced, one who's been in a couple of games and one who's never played a game before in her life. Chargen took a while, mainly 'cause I was reading the book off my laptop and could only really help one person gen at a time, but we got through in the end. Our party is:

Johnny Cool, Human Bard and one of the Emperor's many secret bastard children. Is basically Benny from F:NV, although the player cycled through a bunch of accents for the character and refused to settle for one.

Deadly Thrust, Orc Rogue cursed by the Prince Of Shadows to give excellent luck to everyone around her as revenge for stealing his knife. We've decided that it's A Thing now that Orcs are all named after violent acts.

Captain Margaery Tarth, Wood Elf Sorceress who is such a font of primal nature that flowering plants grow wherever she walks. She has a big pirate ship made out of a live tree, and she's turned away from the Elf Queen to fully embrace the High Druid. However, she also owes some of her magic to the Lich King.

After chargen we had a couple hours left, so I started the game off. They fought off the Prince's thugs in Shadow Port then entered the Bitter Wood where Wood Elves asked them to help reclaim their lost owlbear. Johnny Cool's player explained to everyone that it's an owlbear hybrid.

He laughed hysterically when it turned out that it's actually a symbiotic conglomerate of owls in the shape of a bear.

Everyone had fun, even the newbie once she figured out how it worked. There's piracy, theft and giant monsters on the agenda.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
I spent most of yesterday trying to get a quick Blood and Lightning off the ground. I failed, because only one person was around. And yet the hour of character creation last night with him was, all by itself, more fun than the last couple 4e games I've played in. Nothing world-shattering or revolutionary was created--Celtic/Scottish barbarian who follows the Druidic traditions and was run out of his homeland by the Emperor--but we both had a good time. Also I got to joke about putting a limit the number of skill points on his Highlander background: "there can be only one".

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Highlights were the players treating the stone clutched in the hand of the skeleton of the long-dead alchemist like it touching it was certain doom. They seem to be under the impression that it is a philospher's stone (what I expected) however because "essence" was one of the few words they were able to pick out of an ancient book the alchemist was reading, they think the stone is powered by souls and killed the alchemist during his transmutation experiment(not expected). In actuality in the original module the stone was merely the Alchemist's luckstone (now cursed due to being clutched by a corpse for 20 years (the mage died of a heart attack when HOLY poo poo IT WORKED). However I might change my mind on the stone's nature, if only because I'm not sure how to do a cursed luckstone as a magic item, since cursed items in 13th age are still supposed to be beneficial, just with drawbacks.

A cursed luck stone that's also beneficial? That's easy, it increases both good AND bad luck, so now the cursed character got plenty of both. For example, double crit chance, double fumble chance.

Gasperkun
Oct 11, 2012
The core book PDF is 20% off on DriveThruRPG right now.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Pimpmust posted:

A cursed luck stone that's also beneficial? That's easy, it increases both good AND bad luck, so now the cursed character got plenty of both. For example, double crit chance, double fumble chance.

Perhaps it increases the good luck of the bearer at the expense of the bearer's companions - siphoning their luck away. Gives you a decent bonus (a +2, or maybe a reroll that lets you take the better result) on one roll per encounter, but imposes a penalty on your allies (-1 to all rolls made by your allies until the start of your next turn, or the next allied roll is a reroll that forces the worst result).

Or maybe it stores up for one big push of "your luck has just run out" at a critical time. Once per encounter you can add a +1 to the natural result any roll, but the GM keeps a secret tally and at some point can subtract that amount from any roll after seeing the result.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

You could have fun tying the curse to the Escalation Die. Maybe when it's odd it works for enemies?

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Could also have it gently caress with an appropriate icon relationship/roll in some way. Turn one of the carrier's icon relationship to conflicted, or add an appropriate icon relationship if they don't have one already, with that icon's dice results being 3-4 not good (like a normal 5 but worse), 5-6 good, 1-2 nothing.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Instead of increasing, the escalation dice gets rolled every turn.

Dec 26, 2012

Pimpmust posted:

moths posted:

You could have fun tying the curse to the Escalation Die. Maybe when it's odd it works for enemies?

Everything from 20-esc up counts as a 20.

Everything from 1+esc down counts at a 1.

:v:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

01011001 posted:

No, we gotta go farther.

All his rolls are a coin flip. Tails is failure, Heads is success.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

01011001 posted:

But crits are amazing and a 1 isn't significantly worse than a 5.

Howabout Even: +4, odd: -4? Or plus/minus escalation die.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Mystic Mongol posted:

I dig this, especially the second version.

Hashtag Yoloswag
Mar 24, 2013

...I'm sorry. I can't seem to remember any of the rest.

Mystic Mongol posted:

Unless you make 1 significantly worse than 5. :unsmigghh:

Dec 26, 2012

Hashtag Yoloswag posted:

Unless you make 1 significantly worse than 5. :unsmigghh:

Yeah, this - I was building off the double crit, double fumble idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
Alright. So, what's a fumble?

• Locked thread