Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

graboid
Dec 16, 2013

LvK posted:

Yeah, but does ketchup work with 10x.wad? :colbert:

Russian Overkill is hella rad, but sadly a lot of map packs I've played are too tight (or, heaven forbid, light) for the weapon gimmicks to feel at home, and 10x.wad makes a lot of the gimmick weapons not work right :(

Goingdown is loving perfect for it, though.

Fair point. Just last night I was thinking that all I want in a computer is one that can run RO + 10x + Ketchup with nary a hitch. Talk about ludicrous gibs :swoon:

I love WADs like Scythe and Alien Vendetta that start pretty accessible and gradually tighten the screws on you. As opposed to something like Sunder, where it goes from 0 to Archvile in 5 seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I love slaughter maps, but Sunder isn't supposed to be beatable. Everything past map 4 wasn't thought to be winnable without cheats.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Dominic White posted:

Honestly, I'd recommend anyone considering playing Doom 2 to just skip to Hellbound. It's vanilla (albeit limit-removing) friendly, and it does the whole 'hell on earth' thing so much better than Doom 2, while still using only resources from the original game, and manages to even work in some really clever setpieces.

It feels like the game that Doom 2 wanted to be, and seems almost certain to come away with a Cacoward this year.

Holy poo poo, thank you for this recommendation.

Anyone who was in the mood for some Doom 2, play this wad. If this quality is consistent throughout, this is easily going to be one of my favorite megawads.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?
It is a bit difficult in a few places in the first couple of maps, usually due to confined geometry that snags you... something I really hate. I'm going to stick with it though, because I really miss dominating guys with shotguns in video games.

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012
What are some of the best holiday themed Doom/Quake/Duke/Whatever maps and wads? I want to get into the holiday spirit.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Babylon Astronaut posted:

I love slaughter maps, but Sunder isn't supposed to be beatable. Everything past map 4 wasn't thought to be winnable without cheats.

??? I've beaten (ironmanned, even!) all of the maps in it. It's hellishly hard, don't get me wrong, but it's not exactly have-to-cheat-to-win territory.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

I've been replaying Quake 2 on Hard+ (its version of nightmare) and its still kinda slow but I do die more often than hard.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
So I just played Brutal Doom for the first time.

Holy. loving. poo poo.

:stare:

This is incredibly awesome for a new run through of the game. I can't imagine what would have happened if this existed around the time of the Columbine massacre. I bet PC games would have been completely outlawed.

edit: Also lost souls are terrifying now. I shudder to think what pain elementals are like.

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Dec 17, 2013

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

mod sassinator posted:

Holy. loving. poo poo.

This is incredibly awesome for a new run through of the game. I can't imagine what would have happened if this existed around the time of the Columbine massacre. I bet PC games would have been completely outlawed.

edit: Also lost souls are terrifying now. I shudder to think what pain elementals are like.

Yeah, packs of Lost Souls can be a real handful because of their erratic behavior. On the other hand, Pain Elementals aren't actually too bad (1 or 2 full blasts from the DB shotgun will take care of them), but the real issue is how their corpses explode on death. The explosion is powerful enough to completely wipe out weaker enemies (imps, zombies, etc.), and can really mess you up if you're too close when one dies. It used to be that you could get right up in a Pain Elemental's face and prevent it from spawning Lost Souls, but that's no longer a great idea.

Quirk
Oct 11, 2004

You might surprise yourself.
gently caress Brutal Doom and gently caress SgtMark, I haven't been able to touch his poo poo since I saw that "friend of the family" comment in the code. I posted on his facebook about it making me never want to play it again and the cocksucker just straight up deletes it instead of addressing it, but since I've read he's favoriting holocaust denial videos I'm pissed I ever suggested or showed it to anyone else.

What's the next best thing to brutal doom for blood and gore?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I think Pain Elemental souls now explode, like their 'mother', if you stop them coming out of their mouth?

Quirk posted:

gently caress Brutal Doom and gently caress SgtMark, I haven't been able to touch his poo poo since I saw that "friend of the family" comment in the code. I posted on his facebook about it making me never want to play it again and the cocksucker just straight up deletes it instead of addressing it, but since I've read he's favoriting holocaust denial videos I'm pissed I ever suggested or showed it to anyone else.

The moral outrage would probably be a bit better placed if you didn't use cocksucker as an insult. Just sayin'.

Quirk
Oct 11, 2004

You might surprise yourself.
You're serious.

Reive
May 21, 2009

Quirk posted:

What's the next best thing to brutal doom for blood and gore?

We don't need another pointless derail, so just can it.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

poptart_fairy posted:

I think Pain Elemental souls now explode, like their 'mother', if you stop them coming out of their mouth?

You mean Lost Souls explode and do damage to you if you try to stand right in front of the PE's mouth when it spawns them? Oh, I didn't know that. I haven't tried that strategy since the PE's started violently exploding on death.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

You mean Lost Souls explode and do damage to you if you try to stand right in front of the PE's mouth when it spawns them? Oh, I didn't know that. I haven't tried that strategy since the PE's started violently exploding on death.

Yeah, that's what I meant. Wasn't too clear on it. Was a nasty shock when I thought my old strategies were going to work against the drat things. :v:

Also I can't stop myself from killing everything on a map then whining about the lack of ammunition, ugh.

poptart_fairy fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Dec 17, 2013

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Are there any modern zdoom or other engine megawads that do doom/doom2 theme levels with more of a hexen hub/scripted gameplay? I've been playing hexen again and really wish there was something similar for the doom universe.

edit: Hrm Daedalus is probably right up my alley. I loved Icarus back in the day when it came out, so this is perfect.

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Dec 17, 2013

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

mod sassinator posted:

Holy. loving. poo poo.

Brutal Doom is honestly amazing. There arent any modern games with blood or gib effects that can compare to it. It's apparently meant to be harder than standard Doom 2 but I'm finding it easier so far on account of being able to aim properly with my mouse this time. That being said I'm still not a fan of most of the wide open levels in the second half of Doom 2.

The thing about Pain Elementals is true as well, the explosion they create when they die is devastating.

Is there any way to play other custom maps with Brutal Doom?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

mod sassinator posted:

Are there any modern zdoom or other engine megawads that do doom/doom2 theme levels with more of a hexen hub/scripted gameplay? I've been playing hexen again and really wish there was something similar for the doom universe.

edit: Hrm Daedalus is probably right up my alley. I loved Icarus back in the day when it came out, so this is perfect.

Daedalus suuuucks. Hope you like hunting for off-color textures, tiny switches hidden in crevasses, infinite monsters, random interactable world objects, and all kinds of frustrating bullshit.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
For more fun times in Brutal Doom, try punching lost souls while berserked and then punch again towards something from a distance.

Also punch barrels.

Hell, berserk punch EVERYTHING.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

So, i've been a bit out of the loop recently. What are the best boom-compatible wads released in 2013? I've got going down and hellbound on my list to play over christmas. Any others?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Was also pleasantly surprised in Brutal Doom when I pressed the F key, thinking they might have added a flash light, but got something completely different and hilarious.

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car
i'll do a mothafuckin' walk-by

Dominic White posted:

For that 'vanilla, but better' feel, combine with Doom Expanded for additional graphical niceness. Having some blood splat effects and an extra 2-3 death animations per enemy goes a long way.

I'm giving this a spin right now and really liking it. The graphical changes are great, it gives Doom a modern feel without changing its old-school look. Some of the sounds don't fit (not a fan of the cacodemon pain sound, or using the TIE fighter sound when you pick up a berserker pack), but most of them are an improvement. I might dig around in the WAD to take out some of the replaced sounds that I don't like, but overall it's nice to play an old favorite with a spiffy new coat of paint on it.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

Doctor Shitfaced posted:

What are some of the best holiday themed Doom/Quake/Duke/Whatever maps and wads? I want to get into the holiday spirit.

Not Duke Nuclear Winter. I played it for the first time as part of Megaton recently, it's garbage.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
Honestly at this point the weakest part of vanilla Doom for me is the sounds. They're so muddy compared to what you hear in Cosmetic Doom, for example. Also nth-ing the love for Hellbound. It's insanely clever and fun.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The 2013 Cacowards are up!

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Barfing Cumlord posted:

??? I've beaten (ironmanned, even!) all of the maps in it. It's hellishly hard, don't get me wrong, but it's not exactly have-to-cheat-to-win territory.
Was this recently? Apparently he worked on the maps to make them beatable, but I'm pretty sure the earlier version with 8 or so maps was impossible.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

Korendian Leader posted:

So, i've been a bit out of the loop recently. What are the best boom-compatible wads released in 2013? I've got going down and hellbound on my list to play over christmas. Any others?

Is ZDoom Community Map Project: Take II (as seen in the Cacowards above!) Boom-compatible? Because that's the latest thing I've played, and it was pretty great. I'm usually more of a techbase kind of guy, but I thought the Hell portions of this one were probably the best part, especially the going-into-Hell setpiece and the whole escape-from-Hell sequence at the end.

Edit: Whoops. In my defense, it is 5:40 in the morning here.

John Carstairs fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Dec 17, 2013

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

John Carstairs posted:

Is ZDoom Community Map Project: Take II (as seen in the Cacowards above!) Boom-compatible?

No. The hint is in the title.

(It needs GZDoom)

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN posted:

I'm giving this a spin right now and really liking it. The graphical changes are great, it gives Doom a modern feel without changing its old-school look. Some of the sounds don't fit (not a fan of the cacodemon pain sound, or using the TIE fighter sound when you pick up a berserker pack), but most of them are an improvement. I might dig around in the WAD to take out some of the replaced sounds that I don't like, but overall it's nice to play an old favorite with a spiffy new coat of paint on it.

There's a 'classic sounds' version right there with the regular download, I think, if you don't like the tweaks on that front.

A few surprises in the Cacowards this year. Most notably Hellbound only getting a mention for supposedly terrible combat? Cyriak (aka Mouldy) reviewed it originally and he thought that the encounter design was among the best there was - and I agree. Clearly the guy doing the Cacowards reviews didn't see eye to eye. For reference, Cyriak's review:

quote:

I'm always a sucker for wads that attempt to immerse you a story with recognisable locations and map continuity, and in addition this wad provides both a visual treat and solid gameplay that ranges from fun to challenging to open warfare. The design is ambitious to the point of jaw-dropping in places – and slower computers running ZDoom may feel the strain on a couple of maps, though prBoom should have no problems.

Your eponymous journey to hell takes you through a wide variety of earthly locations, from war-torn city streets and overrun subway stations to military bases nestled in mountainous canyons, each location joined to the next giving it the feel of a continuous adventure, and with an attention to detail that makes this a pretty convincing world despite the age of Doom's graphics. I won't delve into reviews of individual maps; I found the quality and vision throughout the wad to be consistent enough for it to be taken as a whole, due in no small part to it being the work of one mapper. This in itself is somewhat impressive given the size of the project, and though it could be said some of the maps suffer a bit from copy and paste, the inventiveness and variety in the design is such that I hardly noticed. Besides which, these are not short maps by any means, and the challenge will keep you busy for some time.

The layouts are unpredictable, intricate and make fantastic use of lighting to create depth and atmosphere. While the scope and complexity of some of the maps may find you feeling a little lost at times, the surroundings are never dull, and though the level of detail might be a bit much for Doom purists, I found it only ever served to enrich the environment without being needlessly obstructive or confusing.

Gorgeous though the visuals are, and some of the city maps are the best I have ever seen, it's the fighting that really got me hooked on this wad. From map 2 you are given the super shotgun, and you will need it. Some of the skirmishes border on overwhelming even on the earlier maps, but never in a frustrating way. The enemy count does rise to the mid hundreds in later maps, but saves the blatant slaughter for map 29 where an army of over 1000 awaits. This map is also where some ports will struggle even on powerful computers, due to the expansive map design more than the enemy count. The author has adjusted this map to help it run smoother, but has included the original version in the zip for those who want the full experience.

Not just a great wad, one of the best in my opinion.

Vs the Cacoward review.

quote:

Z86 stunned just about everyone with gorgeous screenshots from his Hellbound, and when released, players were able to frequent his massive, beautiful levels - all done with virtually vanilla textures. There's a major flaw in this jewel, though - the combat bored me to Doom depression, partly a function of the unflinchingly grand architecture. Hellbound's cityscapes and bases and journey through Hell look great, but the mapset itself is a grind, which is why it earns a runner-up in this year's Cacowards.

Blah.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Dec 17, 2013

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

horse mans posted:

Honestly at this point the weakest part of vanilla Doom for me is the sounds. They're so muddy compared to what you hear in Cosmetic Doom, for example. Also nth-ing the love for Hellbound. It's insanely clever and fun.

This addresses the muddy sounds: http://www.perkristian.net/game_doom-sfx.shtml
The guy went back to the original sound banks and remixed the sounds into higher quality.

Was this recently? Apparently he worked on the maps to make them beatable, but I'm pretty sure the earlier version with 8 or so maps was impossible.

Must've been: http://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/46002-sunder-episode-1-released-yay/
"And in case you were wondering which maps were finished, and which were not before you have a look...

Map 01 - Can be finished without cheats.
Map 02 - Can be finished without cheats.
Map 03 - Can be finished without cheats (I think?).
Map 04 - Can't be finished without cheats.
Map 05 - Can't be finished without cheats.
Map 06 - Is three rooms big...
Map 32 - Can be finished without cheats... maybe?"

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes
In today's lesson, (Z)Doom's codebase does interesting things when you forget minor details, like how multiple teleport destinations will take you to a random one each time. It results in silliness if you introduce it to netgame player prediction.

CyRaptor
Aug 27, 2004

Fuck Sandy Petersen, again.
gently caress it, it's official:

Pretty much everything that needs to be said that I didn't say last time is in the image there. I estimate the whole ordeal will be about 6 hours long, given that it takes me about 4 and change (I think?) to finish Ultimate Doom alone. I sure as hell don't expect anyone to sit through the whole thing, but I figure that's long enough that most people should be able to jump on for a bit at some point or another if they want. On top of that, it's gonna be recorded and uploaded offsite, so even if you can't make the live broadcast you won't be totally missing out.

Till then I'll be playing random Doom poo poo on Twitch for a couple hours every night this week at roughly 12:30am to test the stream and get back in the swing of commentating, if anyone wants to check it out (particularly anyone who has experience broadcasting on Twitch). I played the first few maps of Hellbound earlier and I'll probably continue on with that on tonight's stream unless anyone has any specific requests (as long as it isn't Brutal Doom).

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
Hot drat, another shoutout for Hellbound. Granted, I've just arrived in the 3rd level so I've not seen much, but I'm already smitten. If the level design holds up, not giving this a Cacoward was a drat shame. Nonlinear design, which I very much appreciate, and reminding me a little of Duke's episode 1, just... doomy. I just love if a level resembles a place instead of a linear path through a setpiece, and so far this is done perfectly.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Oenis posted:

Hot drat, another shoutout for Hellbound. Granted, I've just arrived in the 3rd level so I've not seen much, but I'm already smitten. If the level design holds up, not giving this a Cacoward was a drat shame. Nonlinear design, which I very much appreciate, and reminding me a little of Duke's episode 1, just... doomy. I just love if a level resembles a place instead of a linear path through a setpiece, and so far this is done perfectly.

Once it gets up to speed, Hellbound does a nice mix of both open-plan levels and setpieces. Every now and then, a clearly-too-quiet stretch will be interrupted by Hell itself just pulling you into a fleshy, glowing gauntlet, and there's a few areas where you're shown a large arena with lots of items and cover as you circle around it, and then stop there for an end-of-level throwdown.

There even seem to be some nods to Doom 3 in the level design in places, although the spirit is absolutely Doom 2, or at least something closer to what iD were shooting for. I never really had much love for Doom 2's levels, and Doom 2 The Way iD Did was more of that. Hellbound feels like Doom 2 the Way iD Didn't (but should have).

I also like that it's designed to be doable from a pistol start on each map, but that's just a high-challenge options. A lot of the levels end with rewards to take with you into the next map, and every now and then it'll strip you of your gear anyway.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Dec 17, 2013

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Couple years back, so maybe? I played through the version that had ten maps, which must've been after he did some tweaking, and then played through them again when he released the version with the other four.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
No one seems to have mentioned Unholy Realms yet. I'm playing through it right now with Cosmetic Doom and it's really good. I started it with brutal doom but it completely ruined it like it ruins any map with reasonably fine tuned difficulty.

I started Hellbound but gave up because it didn't seem that good and it was unreasonably, tediously broooooowwwwwnnnn. I'll probably give it another go since people seem to like it so much.

Edit: I see it got a cacoward over hellbound! :toot: Opinion vindicated!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Barfing Cumlord posted:

drat either you're really good or I'm really bad. I have a hard enough time getting through E4M2... :smith: Sunder completely dominated me.

Prenton posted:

Not Duke Nuclear Winter. I played it for the first time as part of Megaton recently, it's garbage.

Yeah, I was gonna say, Nuclear Winter is pretty meh. I like the idea of this though, what other holiday / winter themed WADs are there out there?

Winter's Fury is pretty cool.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Dec 17, 2013

Delerion
Sep 8, 2008

unf unf unf

CyRaptor posted:

gently caress it, it's official:

That's awesome. Twitch also needs a ton more doom streamers since i'm really bad at the game myself and just enjoy watching other people playing it on something else than the easiest difficulty.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Hellbound is really dark too. I never make it more than a few maps in before getting tired of trying to fight monsters I can barely see. Can't remember the last time I had to adjust brightness to play a wad but I guess I should kill flux so that I can and give it another shot.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Top Gym Pumper posted:

Hellbound is really dark too. I never make it more than a few maps in before getting tired of trying to fight monsters I can barely see. Can't remember the last time I had to adjust brightness to play a wad but I guess I should kill flux so that I can and give it another shot.

The default GZDoom lighting mode is 'dark', I believe. 'Doom' is slightly lighter and 'Standard' is very bright by comparison. You might have to tweak as appropriate. That's one of the problems of having so many engines with slightly different specs.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Dec 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Delerion posted:

That's awesome. Twitch also needs a ton more doom streamers since i'm really bad at the game myself and just enjoy watching other people playing it on something else than the easiest difficulty.

I keep meaning to stream it, Doom is a really high fps smooth game despite its age, and I stream at 720/60fps so it looks really nice on a modern source port with hires texture packs. I usually only stream CoD on my channel though, it weirds out my regulars when I play other games :v:

I'd set up a secondary channel just for streaming all the other random poo poo I play, but I wouldn't have partner status on that one, which would mean worse quality stream/no transcoding selection for viewers, which sort of defeats the point of an hq doom stream. Meh.