Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
Finally got around to starting Kingdom Hearts 1.5 after buying it months ago. I really liked the original when it came out, but I have nowhere near the amount of free time now so I'm running through with a guide. I don't think I used a guide when I was younger, so I must've been willing to put up with a lot more RPG bullshit back then.

Just getting through Wonderland I was like "How the gently caress would you figure this out?" I guess eventually you'd stumble upon the nonsensical series of events that you have to complete in a certain order to advance, but holy poo poo what a chore. And yet, I'm compelled to keep going because Hades and Cloud interacted in a cutscene soon after. Also numbers going up.

KH is up there with Xenogears in the "jRPGs I like but can't explain why" category.

EDIT

And I agree, buy Yakuza 4 or Saejima will get you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Static Rook posted:

Finally got around to starting Kingdom Hearts 1.5 after buying it months ago. I really liked the original when it came out, but I have nowhere near the amount of free time now so I'm running through with a guide. I don't think I used a guide when I was younger, so I must've been willing to put up with a lot more RPG bullshit back then.

Just getting through Wonderland I was like "How the gently caress would you figure this out?" I guess eventually you'd stumble upon the nonsensical series of events that you have to complete in a certain order to advance, but holy poo poo what a chore. And yet, I'm compelled to keep going because Hades and Cloud interacted in a cutscene soon after. Also numbers going up.

KH is up there with Xenogears in the "jRPGs I like but can't explain why" category.

The combat and level design starts off as pretty awful in Kingdom Hearts, where you're required to run back and forth through the areas until you trigger whatever's required for the next cutscene to occur. Eventually you get enough abilities and spells that combat becomes pretty enjoyable, although still somewhat clunkier than the later games.

Even knowing what to do, the first few hours and worlds are a slog. The game gets much better, though.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I wish they didn't separate it over two collections. KH1 + 2 + BBS + COM would've been one great package. KH1 is real rough in terms of gameplay system and controls. KH2 refined it to a great degree, maybe to the point where the game was too easy. I'd say a large part of KH1's difficulty was fighting the controls.

Dunderhead
Dec 31, 2003
Airdisc^2
OK, so this happened with The Wolf Among Us where they posted Episode 1 and not the Season Pass until later. The Walking Dead: Season 2 comes out today: Are they trying to get more people to jump on Ep. 1 before they post the season pass and spend an extra $5???

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

If you plan on buying all the episodes, don't buy episode 1. The pass will be $20, while if you buy Episode 1 and then the Pass, you'll be spending $25.

Dunderhead
Dec 31, 2003
Airdisc^2

Harlock posted:

If you plan on buying all the episodes, don't buy episode 1. The pass will be $20, while if you buy Episode 1 and then the Pass, you'll be spending $25.

Exactly, I'm just wondering if it'll be tonight or tomorrow... I hate how they post only the single episode first to lure people in.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Harlock posted:

I wish they didn't separate it over two collections. KH1 + 2 + BBS + COM would've been one great package. KH1 is real rough in terms of gameplay system and controls. KH2 refined it to a great degree, maybe to the point where the game was too easy. I'd say a large part of KH1's difficulty was fighting the controls.

The controls were more than okay in KH1. The camera, however... I have no idea how I put up with that crap 10 years ago.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Krad posted:

The controls were more than okay in KH1. The camera, however... I have no idea how I put up with that crap 10 years ago.

This is how I feel when I try to play 5th gen Zelda games.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
It's pretty lovely if it's is a legitimate marketing ploy and not a gently caress-up that they aren't offering the season pass at release.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Yeah I'm pissed because I was looking forward to playing this now before I head into work. Gimme my season pass! :argh:

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Dross posted:

This is how I feel when I try to play 5th gen Zelda games.

The only Zelda games that had camera control on an analogue stick were The Wind Waker and the Gamecube version of Twilight Princess. All the others involved constantly re-adjusting with the Z trigger. What's even worse is that the camera controls were inverted, with no option to change them, so until you've re-adjusted you're back to mashing that trigger.

Dunderhead
Dec 31, 2003
Airdisc^2

robodex posted:

It's pretty lovely if it's is a legitimate marketing ploy and not a gently caress-up that they aren't offering the season pass at release.

Yeah I've been checking every hour, and it's still not there. This happened with The Wolf Among Us too, so I have a feeling they're doing it on purpose. It's not like we would be getting anything more than episode 1 today anyway. Take my money PSN!

edit: PSN just went completely down.

Dunderhead fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Dec 18, 2013

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Harlock posted:

I don't know If it's the same, but on the 360 you have to buy episode one. The season pass is only for the remaining episodes.

By the way the first episode is pretty good. I forgot just how depressing the series is.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

That loving Sned posted:

The only Zelda games that had camera control on an analogue stick were The Wind Waker and the Gamecube version of Twilight Princess. All the others involved constantly re-adjusting with the Z trigger. What's even worse is that the camera controls were inverted, with no option to change them, so until you've re-adjusted you're back to mashing that trigger.

I find it interesting how much more care was put into Ocarina of Time's level design by comparison to the games that have come after it. I played through it recently it controls great frankly, you can really tell how the entire game was built around the controls. With the more recent games they make these attempts to have more sweeping areas like Wind Waker did but without an analog stick to let you handle the camera however you want.........

A lot of Nintendo's best games are the best because they had a really good grasp of building levels and a world around what the character can do. Like you can tell they went through lots of iterations of how a character would behave first (like how Mario was going to have a gun at first) then once they got a set of abilities down everything was built around that. Think of how many NES to PS2 games are out there where there's moves you don't even know exist because they're so useless.

With later Zelda games you get to use all your abilities but I feel like they fail to really build the worlds around the controls as well as they did in Ocarina/Twilight/Wind Waker.

I can understand SquareEnix keeping the Kingdom Hearts collections split up like in Japan. Normally we get better bundles here but Kingdom Hearts is definitely popular enough in the US that even KH2 by itself can move games on its own.

Does anyone know if the Symphonia compilation coming out is using the rad GC/Wii versions of the games or the embarrassing PS2 games?

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Dec 20, 2013

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
^^^^This is an interesting post.

Being a young lad when the N64 first hit, it seems like the early games were built to showcase the funky controler and not the other way around. The trigger button (Z) was pretty unconventional for a standard controller, and it seems like the first few games really tried to establish it as a natural function (Mario 64 & Pilotwings 64 come to mind). And then you had the yellow C buttons for camera angles. When Ocarina dropped, it felt almost second nature for me. You even played the Ocarina with the C buttons...

Speaking of which, I think that's why I've always mainly stuck with a PlayStation system. The controller has stayed relatively unchanged since its first inception, and just feels "right".
[/derail]

I've been playing the crap out of GT6 and it improves on the last release in every way. Moon Buggies!!!

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

I find it interesting how much more care was put into Ocarina of Time's level design by comparison to the games that have come after it. I played through it recently it controls great frankly, you can really tell how the entire game was built around the controls. With the more recent games they make these attempts to have more sweeping areas like Wind Waker did but without an analog stick to let you handle the camera however you want.........

A lot of Nintendo's best games are the best because they had a really good grasp of building levels and a world around what the character can do. Like you can tell they went through lots of iterations of how a character would behave first (like how Mario was going to have a gun at first) then once they got a set of abilities down everything was built around that. Think of how many NES to PS2 games are out there where there's moves you don't even know exist because they're so useless.

With later Zelda games you get to use all your abilities but I feel like they fail to really build the worlds around the controls as well as they did in Ocarina/Twilight/Wind Waker.

I can understand SquareEnix keeping the Kingdom Hearts collections split up like in Japan. Normally we get better bundles here but Kingdom Hearts is definitely popular enough in the US that even KH2 by itself can move games on its own.

Does anyone know if the Symphonia compilation coming out is using the rad GC/Wii versions of the games or the embarrassing PS2 games?

PS2 version of Symphonia.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Atlus just put out the fifth patch for Dragon's Crown. Each patch so far has unsuccessfully attempted to address the problem of your character getting lost in the explosions that are happening constantly if you have a mage in your party. So far we have:

display health bar for your character only
display circle for your character only (this is actually a health bar too)
display marker at the bottom of the screen for your character only
display damage numbers for your character only
and as of the latest patch, display a silhouette that is in front of everything else on the screen.

This has got to have been the clumsiest way I have ever seen to address such a simple visual design problem in a game.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Dec 21, 2013

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Neo Rasa posted:

There's barely any difference between the Symphonia versions, PS2 gets some minor added costumes and a new bonus boss fight and that's about it, at the expense of worse graphics/framerate/loading (which shouldn't be a problem in the PS3 release anyway). What makes the GC version so rad, in your opinion?

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Goons, I haven't played much console gaming stuff since The PS2 was the thing. About the only time I ever played console games was at Christmas with my sister, but there's a three year gap as I haven't been home for it in a while. The PS2 is now two gens behind, so I'd wager impossible to rent for, and my sister managed to borrow a college dormmate's PS3 for her trip home. That said, what kind of good co-op games are there for this? I'm really honestly out of the loop having pretty much only gamed on PC since '06 outside of roommates.

Only stipulation is no shooters, she can't play them and doesn't like them, Third or First person be damned. I've tried that route and failed before.

Also, I have to rent this stuff in Winnipeg here before leaving west for a much smaller town in Saskatchewan, where I well know the only rental store is dead and gone, and no redboxes. So, I need a list so I can check what the places around here have out of it.

LBP2 is a go, I've seen and played it on a friends system before and she'll go with that just fine.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Pixeljunk Monsters will take you a good distance. Plus, it's really good and accessible for a tower defense game so that it works for skill levels between "don't play games" to "I got this".

Edit: There's also a demo to try it out. Unfortunately, the only sale is for the Vita version.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Ape Agitator posted:

Pixeljunk Monsters will take you a good distance. Plus, it's really good and accessible for a tower defense game so that it works for skill levels between "don't play games" to "I got this".

Edit: There's also a demo to try it out. Unfortunately, the only sale is for the Vita version.

It looks alright, but, uh. She's borrowing this machine. I do not have a PS3, I would have to buy the game outright to play it for a week and then lose it.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
I do believe most of the LEGO games are enjoyable and have co-op. They've also mostly improved in quality over time from what I hear? Find a topic/movie/etc you'll enjoy and I'm sure you'll like the game of it. I've heard that the second Batman/superheros LEGO game is much better than that first though.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

StealthArcher posted:

It looks alright, but, uh. She's borrowing this machine. I do not have a PS3, I would have to buy the game outright to play it for a week and then lose it.

It's not too expensive and may be around as much as renting a game for a week. Worth considering.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

StealthArcher posted:

Only stipulation is no shooters, she can't play them and doesn't like them, Third or First person be damned. I've tried that route and failed before.

Do you mean this literally? I ask because the inFamous games are an excellent pair of open-world superhero games, but they play rather like very mobile third-person shooters with guns replaced by powers. If it's just that she hates guns/blood then I'd recommend them, but if she can't handle the gameplay style then I wouldn't.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

BreakAtmo posted:

Do you mean this literally? I ask because the inFamous games are an excellent pair of open-world superhero games, but they play rather like very mobile third-person shooters with guns replaced by powers. If it's just that she hates guns/blood then I'd recommend them, but if she can't handle the gameplay style then I wouldn't.

And if it's just the guts and blood she hates, Portal 2 is also great.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

BreakAtmo posted:

inFamous isn't co-op, is it?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

BreakAtmo posted:

Infamous 1 can be REALLY frustrating at times, though.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Attitude Indicator posted:

inFamous isn't co-op, is it?

Neither are. Shame, that would be awesome.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
Can somebody explain why Europe and US PSN are so vastly different? The american one has so much more games and it looks much better, it even has movies which I was completely unaware of. I finally made an US account to buy myself Breath of Fire 4, and I was just confused why we have so much plainer version. What's wrong with having only one western version, while japanese have their own?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ManOfTheYear posted:

Can somebody explain why Europe and US PSN are so vastly different? The american one has so much more games and it looks much better, it even has movies which I was completely unaware of. I finally made an US account to buy myself Breath of Fire 4, and I was just confused why we have so much plainer version. What's wrong with having only one western version, while japanese have their own?

There are different publishers and license holders.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
If you can connect to the internet buy Guacamelee, it's colorful, fun side scrolling brawler with Co-Op, perfect for gaming with someone. The music alone is worth it.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Dec 21, 2013

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

Renoistic posted:

Infamous 1 can be REALLY frustrating at times, though.

I started it on a whim and I enjoy it, but yeah, it can definitely be frustrating. Should I skip it and go right to 2?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Skychrono posted:

I started it on a whim and I enjoy it, but yeah, it can definitely be frustrating. Should I skip it and go right to 2?

Stick with it, you'll get some bonuses for Infamous 2 and there's some fun to be had. Just remember to pick either good or evil and focus entirely on that route.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Skychrono posted:

Nah, if you have it it's definitely worth beating.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Skychrono posted:

Listen to these guys:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Stick with it, you'll get some bonuses for Infamous 2 and there's some fun to be had. Just remember to pick either good or evil and focus entirely on that route.

Renoistic posted:

Nah, if you have it it's definitely worth beating.

The ending is really awesome and leads right into the second game. Plus there's the many additional powers you get, which may improve the game for you.

Also, have you downloaded the Gigawatt Blades DLC? It's an interesting extra power, a brutal, energy-costing melee attack. It can drop the strongest non-boss enemy in the game in one shot when upgraded.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

BreakAtmo posted:

Neither are. Shame, that would be awesome.

I haven't played it, but the guy was asking for co-op games, and someone answered inFamous for some reason.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

BreakAtmo posted:

Listen to these guys:

The ending is really awesome and leads right into the second game. Plus there's the many additional powers you get, which may improve the game for you.

Also, have you downloaded the Gigawatt Blades DLC? It's an interesting extra power, a brutal, energy-costing melee attack. It can drop the strongest non-boss enemy in the game in one shot when upgraded.

I got it, and it's cool, but every bad guy just shoots at me so I've had almost zero opportunity for melee. Maybe that will change,I only just got the zoom-in power.

I'll stick with it, thanks all!

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Attitude Indicator posted:

I haven't played it, but the guy was asking for co-op games, and someone answered inFamous for some reason.

Oh, sorry. That was me, and I must have missed that part of his post. In that case, I'm looking at a list now on Wikipedia. There's Diablo 3, the Lego games and the Simpsons Game that I can see.

Skychrono posted:

I got it, and it's cool, but every bad guy just shoots at me so I've had almost zero opportunity for melee. Maybe that will change,I only just got the zoom-in power.

I'll stick with it, thanks all!

The trick with inFamous is mobility. You should be running all over the place to avoid damage while blasting, using your parkour to get up buildings before leaping down for an explosive landing attack. That's a good time to use melee. Also, remember to take note of your surroundings - if some electricity is right there to be absorbed then you should be OK to soak up some damage before you regen. I always have great fun with it.

BreakAtmo fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Dec 21, 2013

dimwit
Jan 30, 2011

There seems to be a misunderstanding
Isn't Puppeteer co-op too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Is there any news or idea when the walking dead season 2 pass will come out yet?

• Locked thread