Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

loquacius posted:

Do you guys think Balon getting unceremoniously chumped by bad weather is gonna happen in the prologue to episode 1? Really get this party started?

Balon's death sets up Euron and the Iron Islands being an actual threat the people at King's Landing have to spend some time worrying about. It isn't actually necessary for it to happen until that becomes an important part of their story, nor is it necessary for Asha to be there.

I suspect that means they'll push his death right back to the end of the season so they can really quickly and concisely show that's the trigger for a big fake-viking fleet sailing off to find Dany and not just having it be something that's hanging pointlessly all season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
Another option I could see working would be if they do the obvious "previously on..." and Balon dies early. Then later in the episode there's build up towards an assassination attempt by an ordinary peasant but it is stopped at the last minute by the Kingsguard. If done properly it could really discourage the viewers who thought that they were so close to seeing Joffrey get killed.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Unless I'm recalling the books wrong, wasn't Balon supposed to die last season? I was actually pretty surprised that they didn't kill him off in the finale and leave everyone with only 1 dickleech prophecy to fulfill.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
He dies after he hears about what happened to Theon and makes Asha his heir, though he was talking to Damphair, not Asha since she was still gone. I think it was the Damphair chapter at the beginning of AFFC that we learn he dies and Asha's uncle decides a girl couldn't sit on the Seastone chair and calls the kingsmoot.

That said they've been deviating more and more from the chronology in the books, and we still have about 1/3 of ASOS left.

Narmi fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Dec 17, 2013

chellesandcheese
Jul 12, 2005

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Unless I'm recalling the books wrong, wasn't Balon supposed to die last season? I was actually pretty surprised that they didn't kill him off in the finale and leave everyone with only 1 dickleech prophecy to fulfill.

He was supposed to be the first leech death, but they re-ordered the names in the show to make Robb first. I imagine they have to do it before they kill Joffrey because it's really not that dramatic of a scene. (Also I'm pretty sure Balon was the second name in the show, can't watch videos at work) If he's left to be the last death, they'd really have to spruce it up and make it more obvious that he's murdered by Euron's FM assassin because otherwise, no one is really going to care that much. He just hasn't had that much screen time.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Carlton Banks Teller posted:

I assume, following what we know and the usual pacing of the seasons:

Episode 2: Purple wedding
Episode 4: Trial
Episode 6: Mountain vs. Martell
Episode 7 or 8: Only Cat
Episode 9: The wall
Episode 10: Tywin

This leaves a lot of time for Tyrion to languish in a cell, but with Jaime and Brienne being in the city for wedding/trial, I think they're going to play a bit with the timeframe there anyway. Also, this loving season. SoS is loved because of so many WTF/major moments but the deck really is stacked towards the second half of the book, huge RW aside.

Only Cat should be in ep 10. It is a loving awesome moment which, in the books, brings all of Littlefinger's actions into focus at once.

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

Narmi posted:

He dies after he hears about what happened to Theon and makes Asha his heir, though he was talking to Damphair, not Asha since she was still gone. I think it was the Damphair chapter at the beginning of AFFC that we learn he dies and Asha's uncle decides a girl couldn't sit on the Seastone chair and calls the kingsmoot.

It's actually when the Ghost of High Heart tells Arya and the Brotherhood that he dies that we first learn of it, and then later in Cat's penultimate chapter where Robb and gang are traveling to the Twins that we get it confirmed. Robb starts making battle plans because the other thing we learn is that Euron has taken the Seastone Chair, which makes Robb think Victarion will leave Moat Cailin with his best captains to press his claim for the throne. I don't believe we ever see Balon name Asha as his heir, he leaves it up in the air and Theon is MIA, leaving the Kingsmoot situation for AFFC.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

chellesandcheese posted:

He was supposed to be the first leech death, but they re-ordered the names in the show to make Robb first. I imagine they have to do it before they kill Joffrey because it's really not that dramatic of a scene. (Also I'm pretty sure Balon was the second name in the show, can't watch videos at work) If he's left to be the last death, they'd really have to spruce it up and make it more obvious that he's murdered by Euron's FM assassin because otherwise, no one is really going to care that much. He just hasn't had that much screen time.

Goddamn, I really need to re-read. I don't remember the FM thing at all. From what I recall, it's in Cat's chapter before they get to the Twins and someone is just like "yeah Balon fell off a bridge and died."

chellesandcheese
Jul 12, 2005

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Goddamn, I really need to re-read. I don't remember the FM thing at all. From what I recall, it's in Cat's chapter before they get to the Twins and someone is just like "yeah Balon fell off a bridge and died."

It's not incredibly obvious, it's in the Ghost of High Heart's dreams that she tells the Brotherhood & Arya.

Ghost of High Heart posted:

“I dreamt I saw a shadow with a burning heart butchering a golden stag. I dreamt of a man without a face, waiting on a bridge that swayed and swung. On his shoulder perched a drowned crow with seaweed hanging from his wings. I dreamt of a roaring river and a woman that was a fish. Dead she drifted, with red tears on her cheeks. All this I dreamt, and more.”

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

chellesandcheese posted:

It's not incredibly obvious, it's in the Ghost of High Heart's dreams that she tells the Brotherhood & Arya.

Also add the odd coincidence of Euron returning immediately after Balon's death. It has been theorized that the dragon egg he 'threw out in a foul mood' was actually the price he paid for the death of a king.

The Slippery Nipple
Mar 27, 2010
I'm picturing the Only Cat scene and I can't help but see Littlefinger do it in his ridiculous over the top evil accent with far too much mouth movement.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Lots of mouth movement, significantly less lip movement.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

The Slippery Nipple posted:

I'm picturing the Only Cat scene and I can't help but see Littlefinger do it in his ridiculous over the top evil accent with far too much mouth movement.

I don't care how they make Littlefinger play it, as long as they stick to the books and make Lisa completely silent and wide-eyed. For some reason that really stuck with me.

The Slippery Nipple
Mar 27, 2010
I can't actually remember how he delivers it in the book but in my mind he said it sadly and with a finality to it, rather than the vindictive way I feel the show is going to play it. But I have no idea maybe they'll pull it off.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

But I have no idea maybe they'll pull it off.

With a completely new accent.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

bobjr posted:

With a completely new accent.

The big reveal will be that there are several identical Baelishes pretending to be the same man.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

My favorite silly armor thing is how when guns started to be more common on the battlefield, they had the great idea of strapping like inch-thick steel plates that must have weight a hundred pounds onto a rider's chest. It worked about as well as you'd expect.

The Slippery Nipple
Mar 27, 2010
On the armour thing, I always thought it was very odd that GRRM go to so much detail to make everything somewhat realistic, and then has Robert ride into battle at the Trident with like 4 foot long stag horns coming out of his helmet, possibly the stupidest piece of decoration even that is guaranteed to get you killed. I'd be fine believing that it was just an embellishment on the part of the story being told but I'm pretty sure Ned remembers Robert wearing it at the Battle of Pyke too.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Only someone sufficient in badassery would even contemplate putting handicaps on themselves when going into battle.

As such, I would run away.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

On the armour thing, I always thought it was very odd that GRRM go to so much detail to make everything somewhat realistic, and then has Robert ride into battle at the Trident with like 4 foot long stag horns coming out of his helmet, possibly the stupidest piece of decoration even that is guaranteed to get you killed.

It's possible for GRRM to be misinformed. I've been to several presentations on arms and armor at multiple museums and "how can people be so wrong so goddamn always" is one of the most frequent topics of discussion. I imagine it would be incredibly easy for a writer to do some research and come to terribly wrong conclusions. I imagine it would be very easy to see something impressive like this jousting armor from the Met and think its representative of what was actually taken to war.

It could also be that GRRM is going for a juxtaposition. In appearance his knights and lords fit the image we associate with typical high fantasy and their behavior and conflicts contrast with that image very sharply.

Fister Roboto posted:

My favorite silly armor thing is how when guns started to be more common on the battlefield, they had the great idea of strapping like inch-thick steel plates that must have weight a hundred pounds onto a rider's chest. It worked about as well as you'd expect.

Armor lasted far longer than it had any right to. Cannon was appearing on battlefields as early as Agincourt and Crecy by some accounts. A big part of that was the fact that Warfare in the late Medieval and early Renaissance period was kind of slow and uneventful. Armies could spend years maneuver around one another and wars were decided by sieges of key cities as often as confrontations on the field.

I mean Jousts were still common during the Elizabethan era. Ist ridiculous. The English had learned very early how effective weapons like bows, pikes, crossbows, were against armored Cavalry. They had learned painfully at the hands of the Scotts how rigid and inflexible a massed cavalry charge was and wait a terrible liability that could be. At Crecy, Vernuil, Barnett, the number of battles where English Knights dismounted to their advantage is incredibly numerous. So often did English Knights take to the field without horse that one of the identifying hallmarks of English made armor is that they are far more symmetrical to provide movement on foot than their equestrian focused counterparts from Germany or Italy.

And yet 200 years after Crecy Elizabeth is still holding tournaments.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Dec 18, 2013

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women

I can't actually remember how he delivers it in the book but in my mind he said it sadly and with a finality to it, rather than the vindictive way I feel the show is going to play it. But I have no idea maybe they'll pull it off.

He says it in a way that kicks her while she's... uh, about to go down. He builds her up and then knocks her down. It's awesome.

Bonesnap
Oct 9, 2007
I've always figured he said it in a nonchalant, matter-of-fact way, like it's nothing for him to mentally, then physically destroy this woman who's built up this fantasy around him. I don't get why Littlefinger's actor didn't just go with his Tommy Carcetti accent, it's perfect for Littlefinger. The shifting accents and raspyness make no sense to me.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

Bonesnap posted:

I've always figured he said it in a nonchalant, matter-of-fact way, like it's nothing for him to mentally, then physically destroy this woman who's built up this fantasy around him. I don't get why Littlefinger's actor didn't just go with his Tommy Carcetti accent, it's perfect for Littlefinger. The shifting accents and raspyness make no sense to me.

That's the thing. You watch the Wire and you think "Oh wow, Aidan Gillian would be a perfect Littlefinger," he's understated, mostly likable and sympathetic. He's not supposed to be an over-the-top, obvious schemer to the rest of the realm. Heck, I was just paging through AFFC and near the end Jaime thinks that if Kevan wont take the position of Hand, Littlefinger would be a good choice. This is how little the rest of the players realize he's in on the game.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

It will be the first time Aidan Gillen unveils the mustache twirl he's been working on for 4 years.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

With the modified Moon Door in the floor I'm picturing some kind of 300-esque kick. Possibly while speaking in Gerard Butler's accent.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Stinky Pit posted:

And yet 200 years after Crecy Elizabeth is still holding tournaments.

This isn't at all mysterious though. Jousting requires heavy rear end armor, multiples of a weapon with no other use, and a warhorse, at the very least. Thus the poors don't get to play, and royal legitimacy is all about keeping the rich on side.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

The problem is, he would say "Only Cat." and the tv-only crowd would be like "what? Cat? What the gently caress? There's dragons and wolves, now there's cats?!" because they'd've forgotten all about Catelyn being nicknamed Cat because the last time it came up was four years earlier.

So they'd need to jam in a bunch of exposition about how Lysa is a Tully, like Catelyn Stark, and they are sisters, and herpdederp, and with all that exposition they're going to need at least a half-dozen naked women.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
They could take the scene from ASOS where Xaro and the Qartheen delegation bring a live sex show for the peace negotiations with Dany and have it take place in the Eeyrie for the Baelish-Tully wedding. You could dump pages of exposition on the audience with a fuckfest of that caliber.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

The problem is, he would say "Only Cat." and the tv-only crowd would be like "what? Cat? What the gently caress? There's dragons and wolves, now there's cats?!" because they'd've forgotten all about Catelyn being nicknamed Cat because the last time it came up was four years earlier.

So they'd need to jam in a bunch of exposition about how Lysa is a Tully, like Catelyn Stark, and they are sisters, and herpdederp, and with all that exposition they're going to need at least a half-dozen naked women.

It'll be changed to something more obvious like "Only Catelyn" or "Only your sister."

If they changed "Jaime Lannister sends his regards" then a change here is a no-brainer.

Edit: Or just have Littlefinger reference her as "Cat" throughout the season. I'm sure he can talk about her with Sansa or Lysa before that moment.

Ballz fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Dec 18, 2013

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

It's going to lose its punch if Petyr's still monologuing about how he never loved Lysa and only was loving her to engage in his plans to yadda yadda horseshit while Lysa's already fallen the entire way down the mountainside and the credits have nearly finished.

chellesandcheese
Jul 12, 2005

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I know TV viewers can be stupid, but they spent several episodes at the Eyrie in Season 1 with Tyrion in a cell. I mean it was stated that Cat went there because she was her sister. I don't think they'll need to do all that background stuff again. They'll probably include some footage from season 1 in the "Previously on" segment and call it a day.

They may change the line to "Only Catelyn" though to make that easier.

Edit: There's still all the time earlier in the season to make it clear too. It's not like Littlefinger kills Lysa the first time we see the Eyrie.

chellesandcheese fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Dec 18, 2013

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Ballz posted:

If they changed "Jaime Lannister sends his regards" then a change here is a no-brainer.

I get that change because even though they have Jamie say "Oh by the way, tell Robb Stark I send my regards" if they had Bolton use the book line then all the viewers would get confused and assume that Jamie had somehow orchestrated the wedding somehow off-camera while running through the Riverlands.

"Only Cat" is a problem because it'll have been 2-3 seasons since they were in a scene together and actually no all they need to do is have a few Littlefinger/Sansa padding scenes where he reminisces about how close he and 'Cat' were.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Bonesnap posted:

That's always how I pictured it as well.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
"I have only loved Catelyn Stark née Tully, your own sister and Sansa's mother."
*shove*

Duncan Sperguson
Apr 21, 2010

emanresu tnuocca posted:

"I have only loved Catelyn Stark née Tully, your own sister and Sansa's mother. I am Littlefinger."
*shove*

Fixed.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

They'll also have to work in some dialogue at some point to remind people of who Jon Arryn is before Lysa admits that she poisoned him, since I guarantee that no one remembers who the heck he was anymore. It would be really funny if the "Previously on" segment before the episode where she dies includes the scene of him lying in his casket from the very first episode of the show.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

colonel_korn posted:

They'll also have to work in some dialogue at some point to remind people of who Jon Arryn is before Lysa admits that she poisoned him, since I guarantee that no one remembers who the heck he was anymore. It would be really funny if the "Previously on" segment before the episode where she dies includes the scene of him lying in his casket from the very first episode of the show.

I mean, that's kinda how it gets rolled out in the books, honestly. "BUT PETYR I POISONED HIM FOR YOU REMEMBER? I POISONED THE GUY WHO DIED MYSTERIOUSLY AT THE VERY BEGINNING OF THE SERIES AND NOW I'M VERY UPSET ABOUT IT? DOES ANYONE REMEMBER THAT MYSTERY LOL?"

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think they're bound to explore some Vale politics and so they will have the opportunity to recap who Jon Arryn was and his relationship to Ned and Robert.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Having Littlefinger tell Lysa "Jaime Lannister sends his regards" would be pretty funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

bobjr posted:

Having Littlefinger tell Lysa "Jaime Lannister sends his regards" would be pretty funny.

"I'm Rick James, bitch"
*boot*

• Locked thread