Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

VideoTapir posted:

I thought "oreo" was a term of derision among black people? To a white conservative, wouldn't an "oreo" be "one of the good ones?"

Yes. It seems they were using it to mean mixed race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
In related news, you can now get banana Oreos (edit: got 'em in the US, too? Awesome.). Just thought you all might like to know.

VideoTapir fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Dec 18, 2013

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Strudel Man posted:

It doesn't really matter if you consider them literal days or long periods of time when the order doesn't fit the facts, either. Genesis goes Earth -> Light -> Sky -> Land -> Plants -> Sun/Moon/Stars -> Fish/Birds -> Land Animals -> Humans.

I mean if you squinted a bit and ignored the fact that the sun doesn't exist until halfway through the process, you can sort of see a metaphorical depiction of the evolution of life, but there's really no way that you can take it literally whether a 'day' is a day or a billion years.

It's adorable to imagine a supposedly intelligent designer who creates plants before creating the sun, particularly if you subscribe to the idea that a 'day' in Genesis could be a metaphore for an age.

"In the fifth age, God created plants. They all died before the sixth age brought the sun."

And God gets an F on his science fair project and fails biology.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

VideoTapir posted:

I thought "oreo" was a term of derision among black people? To a white conservative, wouldn't an "oreo" be "one of the good ones?"
There does seem to be a thing that some conservatives are convinced that people only like Obama because he's black, so they try to downplay his blackness, referring to him as "the half-white President Obama" in a condescending "you people are too dumb to figure that out" kind of tone. I don't think I've seen anyone call him an "oreo" before though.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Guilty Spork posted:

There does seem to be a thing that some conservatives are convinced that people only like Obama because he's black, so they try to downplay his blackness, referring to him as "the half-white President Obama" in a condescending "you people are too dumb to figure that out" kind of tone. I don't think I've seen anyone call him an "oreo" before though.

It makes sense from their perspective. After all, they hate him mostly because he is black.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Fulchrum posted:

I thought they liked to say Reagan was the first black president. For God only knows what contrived bullshit reasons

I thought Clinton was the first black president :v:

Coffee And Pie fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Dec 18, 2013

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Coffee And Pie posted:

Well Monica did have a little Cuban in her.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Coffee And Pie posted:

Reagan has been retconned ever since his death.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Poizen Jam posted:

It's adorable to imagine a supposedly intelligent designer who creates plants before creating the sun, particularly if you subscribe to the idea that a 'day' in Genesis could be a metaphore for an age.

"In the fifth age, God created plants. They all died before the sixth age brought the sun."

And God gets an F on his science fair project and fails biology.

Lets look at Step 2 again.

Coffee And Pie posted:

Do you honestly see Republicans giving Clinton credit for anything?

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

VideoTapir posted:

Reagan has been retconned ever since his death.

Plus, he did minorities a favor by cutting welfare, thereby forcing them to stop being so goddamn lazy and boostrap themselves out of poverty and oppression. Also, he greenlit MLK Day as an official federal holiday (after massive pressure to do so), and appointed Clarence Thomas to the Supreme Court.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Fulchrum posted:

Some do. They say they like him because he 'played ball.'

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fulchrum posted:

They retroactively love him. They can point to Clinton now and say "I've always loved and supported him" because A: it gives them another excuse to slam Obama while looking "bipartisan" ("...unlike this black rear end in a top hat who won't even work with us.") and B: they no longer have to block every move he makes since he's no longer president. Like how Freep still and always will love Palin: she'll never be a RINO since she'll never have to compromise.

In the future it'll be the same with Obama. Republicans now who won't cross the street to spit in his mouth if his teeth were on fire will be comparing the next Democrat president to Obama saying "THIS motherfucker is a motherfucker...unlike that Obama who really knew how to work together. Some of my best president friends are black."

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

pillsburysoldier posted:

Some do. They say they like him because he 'played ball.'

Read: was white and Southern.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Read: was white and Southern.

He also gutted welfare.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

EnsGDT posted:

Huge resurgence of anti-vaccine idiots on my Facebook recently. Has anyone else been experiencing this?
This post made me realize that I pretty much use this thread like a social meteorologist. "This week we're seeing signs of a strong white supremacist front coming out of the south, better button up!"

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ProperGanderPusher posted:

Appointed Clarence Thomas to the Supreme Court.

That was Bush Sr.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Taaaaaaarb! posted:

There is a problem with this example - yes, it is technically a genetically modified crop, but not one that has been manipulated at the chromosomal level. Even more, these and arguably drat near all other crops raised by humans are not examples of transgenic crops that get people freaked out about GMO's. Further, you even point out how GM can benefit this particular crop.
I was using it as an example of why genetic monocultures are bad (however they are created), not as an example of why GMOs are bad. If we use GM alongside traditional methods of modification such as hybridizing, then it can be a valuable weapon against plant disease, but if we rely on GM alone for that disease resistance, we run the risk of having plantations full of genetically identical crops rapidly failing when a disease does eventually adapt to that, like in the case of the Cavendish.

Monsanto has promised not to use sterility inducing modifications (whether you believe that or not), but they do discourage farmers from planting the offspring of GMOs, and encourage them to buy their seeds from a single source. This has the effect of making them as much a genetic monoculture as the bananas. It's a case of not putting all your eggs in one genetic basket, not a case of holy poo poo genetic modification.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
By "discourage" you mean "sue to into oblivion", right?

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon

Guavanaut posted:

Monsanto has promised not to use sterility inducing modifications (whether you believe that or not), but they do discourage farmers from planting the offspring of GMOs, and encourage them to buy their seeds from a single source. This has the effect of making them as much a genetic monoculture as the bananas. It's a case of not putting all your eggs in one genetic basket, not a case of holy poo poo genetic modification.

Alright, any evidence of the use or sale of terminator seeds? Because last I heard, they never made it to market. Also, what's the difference between signing a contract to purchase your seeds exclusively from one provider versus Monsanto? This sounds more like a case against the corporatization of food rather than transgenic crops.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Taaaaaaarb! posted:

Alright, any evidence of the use or sale of terminator seeds? Because last I heard, they never made it to market. Also, what's the difference between signing a contract to purchase your seeds exclusively from one provider versus Monsanto? This sounds more like a case against the corporatization of food rather than transgenic crops.
I think we're posting past each other here. I didn't say that Monsanto were using 'terminator' seeds, I said they had promised not to, with an aside that they had not bound themselves not to do so in the future.

My original banana example was why monoculture can have bad consequences, no matter where it comes from, not that specifically transgenic monoculture is bad. The level of genetic variation in a single seed supplier may be low, but it is higher than in a cloned plant cultivar such as bananas, or in a transgenic seed cultivar that has its origins in a very small batch size.

e: And yes, corporatization of food sourcing and production is responsible for a fair few of these practices.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Dec 18, 2013

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
It's that time of the year, guys!

quote:

The War on Christmas continues… An ultra-liberal group has bullied the state of Washington into banning all Christmas decorations from the Capitol building. Enough already! The birth of Christ is the reason Christmas exists – period.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I'm sure all those Black Friday shoppers were keeping Jesus' birthday first and foremost in their minds as they trampled over people to get to their precious consumer deals.

Christmas stopped being about Jesus decades ago as far as mainstream America is concerned.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

seiferguy posted:

No one knows or cares at all about the actual history of Christmas or other holidays and it really bugs me. Why can't people just celebrate on their own? Does literally everything have to be about Christmas? Should I be upset that my mailman isn't wearing a Santa hat, or that the street sweeper isn't decorated with tinsel and mistletoe?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
It certainly seems that the majority of Christians don't really care or know much about the history of their faith and cling to that like a point of pride. Try talking about Catholicism's policy of syncretism and how the church glommed Yule/solstice rituals from pagans and you'll make heads explode.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

EightBit posted:

It certainly seems that the majority of Christians don't really care or know much about the history of their faith and cling to that like a point of pride. Try talking about Catholicism's policy of syncretism and how the church glommed Yule/solstice rituals from pagans and you'll make heads explode.

I'm pretty sure most people just won't care. The reason people post poo poo like that is because they aren't thinking about it. They just see an unsourced image that says Christmas Under Attack!! and because the kind of person likely to repost it is already under a constant stream of that narrative it reaffirms them, and sharing it makes them feel good without having to think about why they're worried about Christmas Under Attack

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
A friend of mine included a rather rant-filled response, it's kinda good:

quote:

drat. This is so wrong and so stupid on so many levels. First, there should be no decorations with any religious meaning whatsoever on ANY government building ever...second, Pagans celebrated the same drat holiday for 1500 years before Jesus was born, the loving Christians stole our drat holiday because they could not stop people from celebrating the holiday...so the bunch of loving liars that ran the church and government changed the name of the holiday to suit their own purposes.

If this is a war on Christmas, I got a big gently caress YOU for all those twats...you stole OUR loving PAGAN holiday and committed the biggest genocide humanity has ever seen, shut the gently caress up already!

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

EightBit posted:

That, plus the fact that most Americans didn't celebrate Christmas until the late nineteenth century (it was one of those unacceptably pagan holidays that only shameless high church fun-havers like the Catholics and the Episcopalians celebrated), and even then only because of purely secular reasons such as Dickens framing the holiday as one based around family in popular culture.

rkajdi posted:

That was Bush Sr.

Whoops. :downs:

ProperGanderPusher fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Dec 18, 2013

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

seiferguy posted:

A friend of mine included a rather rant-filled response, it's kinda good:

The use of the first-person plural in this response is pretty precious, though.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

http://wealthydebates.com/obama-admin-allowing-china-to-suck-water-out-of-the-great-lakes/

Today's weird facebook drama seems to be that OBAMA is selling water from the Great Lakes to China! zomg!!

Google search basically just turns up infowars, so I am assuming this is nonsense. But I live in Michigan, so people get pretty upset about anything bad happening to the great lakes.

Anyone know anything about this? I pointed out how if you google about it all it brings up is infowars links, but that doesn't really change an idiot's mind.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
So it is Keystone XL but with water instead of fossil fuels? :allears:

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Dirty Job posted:

No one knows or cares at all about the actual history of Christmas or other holidays and it really bugs me. Why can't people just celebrate on their own? Does literally everything have to be about Christmas? Should I be upset that my mailman isn't wearing a Santa hat, or that the street sweeper isn't decorated with tinsel and mistletoe?

Just ask these types if they would be fine with signage proclaiming "Happy Ramadan" on public buildings during that holiday and watch the hypocrisy flow.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Axetrain posted:

Just ask these types if they would be fine with signage proclaiming "Happy Ramadan" on public buildings during that holiday and watch the hypocrisy flow.

:byodood: Christian nation!

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

TerminalSaint posted:

:byodood: Christian nation!

You know considering that this is supposed to be a Christian nation and all it seems to me the founders really hosed up by not mentioning Jesus or Christianity even once in the Constitution, way to drop the ball Madison!

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Dirt posted:

http://wealthydebates.com/obama-admin-allowing-china-to-suck-water-out-of-the-great-lakes/

Today's weird facebook drama seems to be that OBAMA is selling water from the Great Lakes to China! zomg!!

Google search basically just turns up infowars, so I am assuming this is nonsense. But I live in Michigan, so people get pretty upset about anything bad happening to the great lakes.

Anyone know anything about this? I pointed out how if you google about it all it brings up is infowars links, but that doesn't really change an idiot's mind.
Well, there's the Great Lakes compact, where all the states governments and governors agreed to all work together before selling any of the water. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_Lakes-St._Lawrence_River_Basin_Sustainable_Water_Resources_Agreement

I heard the fear that prompted it being that California, Nevada, and the rest of the water-stressed southwest U.S. would continue to grow and then try to buy Great Lakes water to meet their needs, theoretically pitting the states bordering the Lakes against each other and squandering the local resource.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

DarkHorse posted:

Well, there's the Great Lakes compact, where all the states governments and governors agreed to all work together before selling any of the water. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_Lakes-St._Lawrence_River_Basin_Sustainable_Water_Resources_Agreement

I heard the fear that prompted it being that California, Nevada, and the rest of the water-stressed southwest U.S. would continue to grow and then try to buy Great Lakes water to meet their needs, theoretically pitting the states bordering the Lakes against each other and squandering the local resource.

Yeah, I remember in all of the elections during the Bush years people were constantly terrified that Bush, being a Texan, would authorize large scale diversions to the Southwestern states. I remember seeing this billboard although I can't remember exactly where.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

seiferguy posted:

I like how the image says "CHRISTMAS DECORATIONS BANNED :byodood:" as though the Commie Atheist Obummer Brownshirts had finally won and the Ministry of Obamunism had put up that propaganda poster to remind people that nativity scenes are verboten, rather than a particular public building being the sole exception to the trend of Christmas decorations being jizzed all over every inch of the landscape. I mean Jesus Christ (ha), if the government building doesn't have a nativity and you really want to see the Baby Jesus that badly, chances are you just have to look across the street.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Soviet Commubot posted:

Yeah, I remember in all of the elections during the Bush years people were constantly terrified that Bush, being a Texan, would authorize large scale diversions to the Southwestern states. I remember seeing this billboard although I can't remember exactly where.

It gets so close to just being a bland :argh:NIMBY:argh: board and then it throws in a racist Mexican caricature. :sigh:

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

DarkHorse posted:

There's a mini-series that got aired in Canada (on CBC nonetheless) based on that idea:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H2O_(miniseries)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Trojan_Horse_(miniseries)

Yeah keep that in mind too. Canada pretty much owns half the Great Lakes.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Gen. Ripper posted:

It gets so close to just being a bland :argh:NIMBY:argh: board and then it throws in a racist Mexican caricature. :sigh:
I find that funny just because depending on where you go New Mexico can be incredibly white.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Guilty Spork posted:

I find that funny just because depending on where you go New Mexico can be incredibly white.

Clearly it isn't. Look at that skin tone. The 'stache. The sombrero proudly emblazoned with his estado de residencia. New Mexico is plainly just Classic Mexico.