Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

How difficult is it to modify an SFC cart to house an SD2SNES? I originally got my SD2SNES in an SNES cart, but I'd like to swap it into an SFC shell. I've never used a dremel before and am generally a mess with "handy" projects, but I'm hoping it's a pretty easy fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

Agrias120 posted:

How difficult is it to modify an SFC cart to house an SD2SNES? I originally got my SD2SNES in an SNES cart, but I'd like to swap it into an SFC shell. I've never used a dremel before and am generally a mess with "handy" projects, but I'm hoping it's a pretty easy fit.

It is no harder than a normal SNES shell. It probably took me like two minutes total

Also again sorry to people who got a NES cart but Fami donor PCB or the other way around :doh:

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I thought it was funny :p

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006
I barely know what I'm doing and what I'm trying to do is likely much more trouble than its worth. That being said, I bought a Zelda DX GBC cartridge off craigslist for peanuts, with the understanding it was likely fubar. I picked it up hoping to fix it, and learn a thing or two fixing it myself. I cleaned it with a qtip, and opened the casing open, nothing looks dirty/broken/ect. When I boot on a GBC, I get the Nintendo logo, the ding, then nothing while the power light stays on. Its a known good GBC. On my Super Game Boy, it boots to some random garbage on the screen. Whats likely broken on it, how do I fix it, and do I need any special tools?

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
I'm assuming none of your other games do this? Have you tried booting it without a battery attached

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006
Other GBC games work fine on both setups. I haven't tried battery removal yet.

Tonde Mo Nai
Jul 9, 2005
my symbolism was stripped away long ago
So I had signed up to be a Turbo Everbro, with the intention of picking up something to play it on over the next few months.

Then I happened to check doujindance's ebay page, and they had a newly listed Duo-R. :retrogames:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

There's something horrifically wrong with the concept of importing Top Gun. We should be trying to get as many copies of that out of the country as possible and into some third world toxic waste dump.

d0s posted:

Oh yeah. So Rad Racer II is one of my favorite racing games, I know that's kind of weird but whatever. This is kind of a long shot but I've heard this specific game is one of the very few NES games that is incompatible with some NES>FC converters, from what I've heard it's the kind where the cartridge faces the opposite way when you plug it into the FC. I ordered one of these because the cart faces forward and that's apparently how "good" NES>FC converters are but it's really hard to tell what constitutes good with grey market stuff (pics from ebay auction, nothing has arrived yet):

Does anyone have experience with these converters? I'm not exactly gonna die if I can't play Rad Racer II, and I still have my toaster if it comes to that but it would be nice if these worked or if you know of one that does.

I've got one and it has worked perfectly with everything for me. Haven't tried Rad Racer II specifically, but I think you'll be okay. And at $10 (which is what I paid for mine) it was pretty reasonable.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.

Random Stranger posted:

I've got one and it has worked perfectly with everything for me. Haven't tried Rad Racer II specifically, but I think you'll be okay. And at $10 (which is what I paid for mine) it was pretty reasonable.

Does that adapter bend or seem wobbly at all? It seems like since it's just a thin PCB that it would lean over and possibly bend the pins in the Famicom's cartridge slot. I'd much rather have something with a case, so it's always straight up, but those seem to be a fair bit more expensive.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Keyboard Kid posted:

Does that adapter bend or seem wobbly at all? It seems like since it's just a thin PCB that it would lean over and possibly bend the pins in the Famicom's cartridge slot. I'd much rather have something with a case, so it's always straight up, but those seem to be a fair bit more expensive.

I can't say I like the feel of it and being able to put more pressure on the pins than is really healthy, but it's such a simple thing and I haven't had any problems yet.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

There's something horrifically wrong with the concept of importing Top Gun.

I actually bought this lot from a guy in Arizona, and it looks like he might have gotten it all in one package deal too, or might be the original owner who came here from Japan. Other pictures show a lot of the games and disks have writing on the backs in Japanese in the same blue marker and handwriting. Taken as a whole it looks like a really typical set of games that a "casual" Japanese gamer would have owned during the Famicom boom (why the hell was Formation Z so popular??).

I'm probably going to end up giving most of those games away as silly gifts, I see them as a bonus since the whole set didn't cost much more than a Twin Fami imported from Japan would have with shipping. Seeing what's on those bootleg disks is gonna be interesting though- the writing all over them suggests their original programs have been overwritten probably a few times.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Chances are it got mentioned but the OP should be changed to not mention the Xbox1. :haw:

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Random Stranger posted:

Don't be absurd. Why be a nerd if you can't fight over what is better.

BTW, SNES/SuperFami stomps Genesis/MegaDrive into paste.

First, Contra doesn't have health bars. Second, your inferior American version lacks cut scenes and the cool animations. Check and mate. :colbert:

I know which version is better!

I'll even give you a hint!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

d0s posted:

Oh yeah. So Rad Racer II is one of my favorite racing games, I know that's kind of weird but whatever. This is kind of a long shot but I've heard this specific game is one of the very few NES games that is incompatible with some NES>FC converters, from what I've heard it's the kind where the cartridge faces the opposite way when you plug it into the FC. I ordered one of these because the cart faces forward and that's apparently how "good" NES>FC converters are but it's really hard to tell what constitutes good with grey market stuff (pics from ebay auction, nothing has arrived yet):

Does anyone have experience with these converters? I'm not exactly gonna die if I can't play Rad Racer II, and I still have my toaster if it comes to that but it would be nice if these worked or if you know of one that does.

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Send all the retro video to the flat screen, and to the crt, simultaneously. Entertain friends and loved ones in the back of the room with your old video games.

Those have problems with some mmc5 games and some other stuff; its issues are fixable though

http://consolemods.freeforums.org/nes-to-fc-adapter-compatibility-fix-powerpak-audio-wiring-t27.html

theres probably a better link and description somewhere else.

d0s posted:

Yeah, I've seen that link before, but that looks like a different converter, mine's probably gonna have the same problem though.

I know next to nothing about working on electronics, sadly. I don't really want to screw up my converter by trying to learn. When I get mine and if it doesn't work, do any hardware goons want to do this mod for me? I'll send you the converter and the RRII cart to test (don't really want to send the Fami though, so I guess you gotta have one of those), and PayPal you whatever you think is a fair price for your work+shipping fees (to a point, I'm not loaded :v:). PM me or something!

Random Stranger posted:

There's something horrifically wrong with the concept of importing Top Gun. We should be trying to get as many copies of that out of the country as possible and into some third world toxic waste dump.

I own that exact converter for my Sharp Twin Famicom. Haven't seen any issues here.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

d0s posted:

(why the hell was Formation Z so popular??).

Serious answer: it came out shortly before Super Mario Bros and featured a giant transforming robot. Basically, right place for the Famicom explosion, early enough that there wasn't competition from good games, and had a theme guaranteed to separate innocent Japanese children from their money (much like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles did over here).

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Random Stranger posted:

Serious answer: it came out shortly before Super Mario Bros and featured a giant transforming robot. Basically, right place for the Famicom explosion, early enough that there wasn't competition from good games, and had a theme guaranteed to separate innocent Japanese children from their money (much like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles did over here).

Wait, Super Mario Bros wasn't a launch title for the Famicom? What were the launch titles?

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

Wow that actually makes perfect sense!

Farecoal posted:

Wait, Super Mario Bros wasn't a launch title for the Famicom? What were the launch titles?

Donkey Kong, DK Jr., Popeye. In 1983. It was a WHILE until SMB.

EDIT:

Here's a set of articles I wrote about those very early days of the Famicom and the rationalization for the games that -always- appear on multicarts that some people in the US wonder about (I forgot to look into Formation Z!)

http://route-20.tumblr.com/post/69340584805/
http://route-20.tumblr.com/post/69361193888/

TL;DR: A good multicart is cool because it's like a greatest hits compilation of the first wave of popular Famicom games, most of which either didn't come out here or came too late to have any real impact because they were released alongside "better" (more advanced) games.

d0s fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Dec 18, 2013

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
:dealwithit:

On to Super Mario Bros 3

Farecoal fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Dec 18, 2013

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
Turns out I'm dumb!

I thought the card port on the Fami N8 was Mini SD, which I didn't have, but it was Micro SD, which I have tons of!

It works great! I loaded it up with ROM hacks and went to my friends house to play on his big rear end TV.

The romhack winner was something called Mario Blackman. It was Mario 2, but all the characters palate swapped to be black, all the bad guys are klansmen, and above the character select screen are the words "Please Kill Whitey".

It was pretty fun. Mostly because SMB2 is fun.

Also something happened that was pretty cool, when I was loading more ROMs onto the cart, the TV was on channel 95 static, and the Famicom started acting like an antenna and picked up some radio station playing really old jazz. It sounded clearer if I messed with the position of the controllers. It was really creepy and awesome. One of my friends took a video. I'll post it later if it's not terrible, and you can actually hear anything.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
So I'm finding that PAL UK games are absurdly expensive on places like eBay. Like it's ridiculous how expensive they are.
I can't seem to find many other places to buy stuff online since almost everywhere caters for NTSC, are there any non-obvious places I should be looking? (Gumtree is a pain since I don't drive.)

I actually think it's probably cheaper for me to just import NTSC games and consoles, and if that's the recommended route then so be it.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

StellarX posted:

I'm looking to mount a flatscreen in my game room (most likely replacing the mass effect art). This is pretty much just to play Xenoblade at it's native resolution and some modern consoles eventually, but I probably need to plan what other retro consoles I'll be attaching to it so I can look into the cables/switchers required.

Which retro consoles actually look decent on a HD flatscreen and which ones are better left hooked to a CRT? I still have some Wii component cables and I know about the Gamecube ones (and how pricy they can be) but I'm not sure if there are any options for my other consoles or if it would even be worth it. I generally don't like black bars or stretching but if a game natively supports widescreen, I'd like the option to play it on the more modern tv.

Hooked up to a CRT, I'd recommend: NES, SNES, Genesis, Gamecube, Wii (if you had an HD CRT I'd say there instead), TG16, PS1, Saturn, N64.

For a flat screen HDTV I'd recommend: PS2, XBox 1, Dreamcast (if the TV has a VGA port). This is just my humble opinion when it comes to retro consoles. I'd actually recommend an XRGB Mini simply because the steep $500 price-tag is justified by being able to use something bigger than a 36" TV, and also not needing to keep a gigantic CRT in the house.

d0s posted:

Yeah, I've seen that link before, but that looks like a different converter, mine's probably gonna have the same problem though.

I know next to nothing about working on electronics, sadly. I don't really want to screw up my converter by trying to learn. When I get mine and if it doesn't work, do any hardware goons want to do this mod for me? I'll send you the converter and the RRII cart to test (don't really want to send the Fami though, so I guess you gotta have one of those), and PayPal you whatever you think is a fair price for your work+shipping fees (to a point, I'm not loaded :v:). PM me or something!

I have a real copy of Rad Racer II at home, and this exact converter. As soon as I get home from Christmas vacation I will check it out for you.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

My RGB modded Japanese 3DO has arrived!

Indeed, I am now a proud(?) owner of copies of The Daedalus Encounter AND Night Trap. :getin: Most of the games this thing came with are FMV and multimedia junk, but at least there's the copy of the original Need for Speed aka OverDrivin' that more than makes up for the general lack of quality here (the Virtual Stadium J-League soccer game should be decent as well, as it basically seems to be the 3DO version of FIFA International Soccer with Japanese teams, but I didn't try it out yet). Besides, if I remember correctly the 3DO doesn't have any region locking or copy protection, so it shouldn't be a huge problem to grab Road Rash, Return Fire and some of the other classic games.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Babby Sathanas posted:

So I'm finding that PAL UK games are absurdly expensive on places like eBay. Like it's ridiculous how expensive they are.
I can't seem to find many other places to buy stuff online since almost everywhere caters for NTSC, are there any non-obvious places I should be looking? (Gumtree is a pain since I don't drive.)

I actually think it's probably cheaper for me to just import NTSC games and consoles, and if that's the recommended route then so be it.

I've been doing this. I have an NTSC Nes and I'm planning on modding my SNES to run at 50/60 Hz with a switchless mod. Which systems are a problem? Many of them can play imports, NES is the only difficult one.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Nesticle owned, and besides being super easy to use, super accurate, and super named after balls, it was most peoples first foray into emulation, so was extra cool because it ushered us into the next generation of emulation via balls and a severed hand.

Waaaaaiiit, was it a severed hand or a dick?

E: that's totally a hand you perv

I totally had to look at both the cursor and the icon again just to be sure. I remember playing this on my 486 wrecking some Bubble Bobble and Mega Man 2 with the keyboard and eventually going on super future high tech and getting a 2 button controller. What's that, playing Top Gun or Golf with a cheapo joystick? You know it.

That was also the first time I was introduced to game "hacks" such as KKK Mario Bros and naked Balloon Fight.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

d0s posted:

Its the same. The one you bought was just a clone without a case. The fix should be the same. Its possible they actually fixed it, but from what I saw they still warn you on the ebay page, and noone here has specifically mentioned they played CV3 on it without issue.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

the wizards beard posted:

I've been doing this. I have an NTSC Nes and I'm planning on modding my SNES to run at 50/60 Hz with a switchless mod. Which systems are a problem? Many of them can play imports, NES is the only difficult one.

I haven't noticed any that are a problem, just checking that it is the best method to go money-wise.

Why is NES the only difficult one? Looks like you only have to pull a pin away from one of the chips and you're well away to play imports.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

d0s posted:

Wow that actually makes perfect sense!

When I was researching the Game Center CX book I came across another case of this with Space Hunter. Apparently it was infamous in Japan for suckering kids into buying it because of the artwork on the box:

Peenmaster posted:

Also something happened that was pretty cool, when I was loading more ROMs onto the cart, the TV was on channel 95 static, and the Famicom started acting like an antenna and picked up some radio station playing really old jazz. It sounded clearer if I messed with the position of the controllers. It was really creepy and awesome. One of my friends took a video. I'll post it later if it's not terrible, and you can actually hear anything.

This is the reason that televisions in the US didn't go up to 95 usually. The high end of the UHF band bumps into what engineers refer to as "the dead zone". Tune a television that far and when the atmospheric conditions are just right you'll hear voices tempting you to sit closer to the television, faint echos of newscasts both past and future, and early twentieth century music.

Japan being Japan just went right ahead and put their main television broadcast signal right in the heart of the dead zone. There's some people who say that this explains everything.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Dec 18, 2013

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
Retro love!

http://kotaku.com/nintendo-announces-nes-remix-for-wii-u-and-its-out-1485636756

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Babby Sathanas posted:

Why is NES the only difficult one? Looks like you only have to pull a pin away from one of the chips and you're well away to play imports.

The NTSC and PAL NES PPUs are different enough that you can't do a 50/60Hz mod, so games from the wrong region can run at the wrong speeds.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Ambitious Spider posted:

I finally played Chakan:The Forever Man. That game isn't very good.

I've also been digging the Genesis 3D remakes on 3DS.

There was an effortpost in here about Chakan a while back. It was a real page-turner.

AlwaysWetID34
Mar 8, 2003
*shrug*

The Super Mario Bros challenges they put in there look pretty cool. I can't wait for a review to see what the remix of The Legend Of Zelda is.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

I'm torn on how to feel about this. On the one hand, yay for a game where you just do minigames and weird versions of classic stuff. On the other, the parts where you play as a character not in their traditional game format just feels like a riff on Super Mario Bros Crossover, which was in and of itself a riff.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

I have a real copy of Rad Racer II at home, and this exact converter. As soon as I get home from Christmas vacation I will check it out for you.

I may already have it by the time your vacation ends, it's on it's way to me from HK now. Thanks anyway though!

Random Stranger posted:

When I was researching the Game Center CX book I came across another case of this with Space Hunter.

Hah, I was playing a ROM of that last night it's awful. I didn't know there was a GCCX book and a goon(s?) worked on it, got a link to where I can get a thing like that? I only just started reading this thread again for the first time in years.

EDIT:

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Its the same. The one you bought was just a clone without a case. The fix should be the same. Its possible they actually fixed it, but from what I saw they still warn you on the ebay page, and noone here has specifically mentioned they played CV3 on it without issue.

Yeah this is what I expect as well honestly.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

the wizards beard posted:

The NTSC and PAL NES PPUs are different enough that you can't do a 50/60Hz mod, so games from the wrong region can run at the wrong speeds.

Ah I see, well that's no problem really. I have a PAL NES and an NTSC NES is only a reasonable one-off cost so I can happily have both! Thanks for the info.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

d0s posted:

Hah, I was playing a ROM of that last night it's awful. I didn't know there was a GCCX book and a goon(s?) worked on it, got a link to where I can get a thing like that? I only just started reading this thread again for the first time in years.

The book is available on Amazon.

Space Hunter is a really interesting game to me. My personal theory is that it's a quicky attempt to cash in on Legend of Zelda without really getting the concept. It's nearly impossible to play unless you have at least some basic information laid out for you (I recall you pretty much have to visit the rock world first and then go the cave at the far left or you're stuck with an unusable weapon).

Kemco published a lot of terrible Famicom games...

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR YOU!

Hogscraper posted:

William Gibson retweeted TheRedEye today. That's kind of bad rear end.

I wish influential cyberpunk authors would retweet me. I guess they don't care about my dog photos.

To put this into perspective: the guy who wrote Neuromancer pressed a button to instantly show all of his fans a picture I took of an unlicensed Nintendo game.

https://twitter.com/frankcifaldi/status/385084302897057792

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

TheRedEye posted:

To put this into perspective: the guy who wrote Neuromancer pressed a button to instantly show all of his fans a picture I took of an unlicensed Nintendo game.

https://twitter.com/frankcifaldi/status/385084302897057792

William Gibson wants to make sure people know to touch all booty upon waking.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

Random Stranger posted:

This is the reason that televisions in the US didn't go up to 95 usually. The high end of the UHF band bumps into what engineers refer to as "the dead zone". Tune a television that far and when the atmospheric conditions are just right you'll hear voices tempting you to sit closer to the television, faint echos of newscasts both past and future, and early twentieth century music.

Japan being Japan just went right ahead and put their main television broadcast signal right in the heart of the dead zone. There's some people who say that this explains everything.

Well we looked it up at the time because we're a bunch of curious nerds, and the frequency that channel 95 is on US TVs is well into the FM range. We were picking up a radio station somewhere around the frequency 93. It was still pretty fun and spooky.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

This was so awesome. The Genesis had such a gnarly sound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Peenmaster posted:

Well we looked it up at the time because we're a bunch of curious nerds, and the frequency that channel 95 is on US TVs is well into the FM range. We were picking up a radio station somewhere around the frequency 93. It was still pretty fun and spooky.

Like I said, "the dead zone". NPR often broadcasts there...

• Locked thread