Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Jamesman posted:

While I'm thrilled we'll finally see the enchantments before enchanting, it's looking like we'll only get one enchantment at a time and will have to use the anvil to combine them? I hope the level rebalancing makes that significantly less of an rear end-ache than that sounds like. Also, I think it'd be more interesting if the "item costs" were different for various enchantments. Gold for Looting, Gunpowder for Punch and Knockback, Glowstone for Flame and Fire Aspect, Diamond for Unbreaking, etc.

You get more than one enchantment at a time however you only get a preview of one random one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChewyLSB
Jan 13, 2008

Destroy the core

xzzy posted:

Pretty much this. I'm not sure why they're expanding flavor systems when the core game needs so much attention.

You should honestly just expect Minecraft's combat not to change. Its probably too much of a core change/too much work for the development team to bother.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, I don't expect anything to change. It's more like a wishlist. :v:

If the grand code rewrite they just finished didn't give them opportunity to improve the base mechanics it seems likely they never will.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
So from what I understand, it's going to take longer to get to 30 and above, but you'll still only ever want to enchant with 30 or above to get the actually good enchantments, but you'll know at least one attribute you'll get beforehand.

I just hope they don't turn the experience you need to get 30 into a grind.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

So from what I understand, it's going to take longer to get to 30 and above, but you'll still only ever want to enchant with 30 or above to get the actually good enchantments, but you'll know at least one attribute you'll get beforehand.

It's going to be a grind. It is already kind of grindy. Your best bet is to just get MCedit and copy + paste an Enderman farm. That's possible right?

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
PS3 version is live on the store. There's a new console Minecraft thread to have a fresh start for new diggers:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3595400&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post423320977

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I wonder if there'll ever be a Minecraft 2 that actually re-examines major mechanics like exploration, monster spawning, and combat, or if this is just going to ride out forever.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Vib Rib posted:

I wonder if there'll ever be a Minecraft 2 that actually re-examines major mechanics like exploration, monster spawning, and combat, or if this is just going to ride out forever.

I think Mojang's intention is for Minecraft to become a platform but once it's complete they'd be foolish to not look at making a better core version of it.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
I really like every time they post some new update that is fixing the dumb poo poo from previous versions, but oh my God can we get a modding API already? I know of talented coders who won't touch Minecraft modding with a ten foot pole because of the current situation with modding the game, and we could really do with some more mods out there which weren't produced by angry entitled children.

Not to mention that it'd probably be easier for Mojang to work on Minecraft if they made it easier for people to produce the mods that they like to adapt into vanilla elements. There are too few modders currently modding who have the kind of great ideas that would improve the base game. Hell, there are things I want to do in Minecraft, things I want Minecraft to do, which I could probably make myself if they just introduced the necessary tools to let you do so.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
Seems like we are getting granite! :)

Jeb_ posted:

Experimenting with stone variants was on my list for MC 1.8. This is a granite test, http://imgur.com/a/nvGuV

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Kamrat posted:

Seems like we are getting granite! :)

Yay! We'll have to start new worlds for 1.8! :smith:

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off

Jamesman posted:

Yay! We'll have to start new worlds for 1.8! :smith:

Wouldn't you get it by just generating new chunks?

Kamrat fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Dec 18, 2013

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

If we're getting stone variants, I wonder if they'll make an effort to have the ores use granite as well so we don't get pink stone underground with only gray ore blocks.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

FPzero posted:

If we're getting stone variants, I wonder if they'll make an effort to have the ores use granite as well so we don't get pink stone underground with only gray ore blocks.

Perhaps a nod towards more realistic geology and only have certain ores found in certain rock strata?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Kamrat posted:

Wouldn't you get it by just generating new chunks?

What is the difference between wandering tens of thousands of blocks away to start over, and just generating a new world to start over?

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off

Jamesman posted:

What is the difference between wandering tens of thousands of blocks away to start over, and just generating a new world to start over?

Getting to keep your stuff and being able to travel back.

Anyway, I didn't know your world was that big, my bad.

Thorgot
Apr 4, 2010

Spoggerific posted:

Got a link to the videos (or channels where they'll be uploaded, if it's not out yet) for those of us out of the know? The last time I watched any was when it was a brand new thing.

The mindcrack subreddit has a thread for each episode with links to everybody. The only valuable thread on the mindcrack subreddit.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Kamrat posted:

Getting to keep your stuff and being able to travel back.

Anyway, I didn't know your world was that big, my bad.

I did a lot of wandering looking for new biomes and materials. With the new climate stuff, it's really hard to "break out" into new areas and find stuff you're looking for, so I've covered a lot of ground trying, and failing, to locate things.

To me, when they add new world stuff to the game, it just makes me feel like everything I've been working on and the area I've been working in becomes "obsolete," so I need to start over. Traveling to fresh chunks to obtain that stuff and keeping your old build stuff available to work on sounds fine in theory, but travel isn't exactly the most fun or convenient, especially if you're wanting to ship materials around. I would just end up settling in a new area and forgetting about the old land, in which case there would really be no point in doing all the searching for new chunks in the first place.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Jamesman posted:

I did a lot of wandering looking for new biomes and materials. With the new climate stuff, it's really hard to "break out" into new areas and find stuff you're looking for, so I've covered a lot of ground trying, and failing, to locate things.

To me, when they add new world stuff to the game, it just makes me feel like everything I've been working on and the area I've been working in becomes "obsolete," so I need to start over. Traveling to fresh chunks to obtain that stuff and keeping your old build stuff available to work on sounds fine in theory, but travel isn't exactly the most fun or convenient, especially if you're wanting to ship materials around. I would just end up settling in a new area and forgetting about the old land, in which case there would really be no point in doing all the searching for new chunks in the first place.

For a few of the updates I have used MCEdit to prune back the world around my home area so that new features would generate in the world nearby.

Unfortunately the change in biomes mean that this doesn't work for my old worlds now, but I usually start from scratch with a new version as well anyway.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

The new system requires you to get to 30 for the really powerful enchantments, but to actually enchant something, you only ever need 1-3 levels. So you would never drop below level 27. Grinding from 27 to 30 is a hell of a lot better than grinding from 0 to 30 because the game gave you a poo poo enchant. :v:

Also, yes, new stone types.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
In my first play through to The End here I have just started resorting to enchanting books because everything I kept getting was crap. When I needed a pick that could help me extract more obsidian or diamonds quickly, I couldn't manage to get it. Now that I need Eyes of Ender, I get other unhelpful crap. I'd be very happy if enchanting wasn't completely arbitrary. I guess generally I'd be happier if there was less grind reaching The End, and enchanted items could help considerably there.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Jamesman posted:

Jeb answered on reddit that the new stone variants will spawn in new chunks, but they will also have crafting recipes for people who don't want to do a new world. He gave an example of cobblestone and quartz to make granite (since it is pink cobble) as an (not set in stone) example.

So he is aware of the issue at least.

---

Actually, it seems that for right now the new stones will be craftable only, Jeb hasn't decided if they should spawn in the wild (has to decided how they would spawn, and where). I can see this being an issue, since if he adds a good number of stone types, there might not be enough room to have them spawn all in the same chunk in solid layers. So you'd probably have to do something like separate a few stone types to biome types (maybe biome temperatures, so they are more common) and you'd have to do some kind of blending where one layer type ends and a new rock type starts.

Enzer fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Dec 18, 2013

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

I found this in an abandoned minecart:

What the gently caress? No matter what I use it on, two of the enchantments will be lost. Sadface.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Umbra Dubium posted:

I found this in an abandoned minecart:

What the gently caress? No matter what I use it on, two of the enchantments will be lost. Sadface.

That is the worst adaptation of Sophie's Choice I have ever seen.

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

I've misunderstood what a lion is.

Grimey Drawer
This may not be the best place, but there's not many other options. Can anyone help me setup Overviewer? My maps are rendering fine, but I'm having a hell of a time trying to get PoI markers working.

edit - Actually, is there a way to make it load ONLY the manualPois, and not scan the entire map for entities? I think that might be my problem.

Rack fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Dec 18, 2013

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
What is the current go to on enchantments?

Wait until level x, then enchant a book? Then put that on the item of choice?

Or should I be trying to enchant my uber pick directly (at some level)

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Enzer posted:

Jeb answered on reddit that the new stone variants will spawn in new chunks, but they will also have crafting recipes for people who don't want to do a new world. He gave an example of cobblestone and quartz to make granite (since it is pink cobble) as an (not set in stone) example.

So he is aware of the issue at least.

---

Actually, it seems that for right now the new stones will be craftable only, Jeb hasn't decided if they should spawn in the wild (has to decided how they would spawn, and where). I can see this being an issue, since if he adds a good number of stone types, there might not be enough room to have them spawn all in the same chunk in solid layers. So you'd probably have to do something like separate a few stone types to biome types (maybe biome temperatures, so they are more common) and you'd have to do some kind of blending where one layer type ends and a new rock type starts.

It's funny, mods have had retro generation for underground elements (and some above ground stuff) for probably over a year now, but apparently that's not possible for Mojang themselves to do.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I wouldn't mind if they added a ton of stone types, but then divided them globally in layers. So maybe if you're in a swamp you start walking on dirt, then dig down slightly to clay, and then further to granite, then regular stone, etc... Different biomes and base heights can modify this accordingly, but I think it's the smoothest way to transition that so you don't have stone hills biome, then a granite hills biome, and so forth.

e; And let us make the special types of stone bricks, for gently caress's sake. No building material should be stuck to what generates in structures.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I wouldn't mind if they added a ton of stone types, but then divided them globally in layers. So maybe if you're in a swamp you start walking on dirt, then dig down slightly to clay, and then further to granite, then regular stone, etc... Different biomes and base heights can modify this accordingly, but I think it's the smoothest way to transition that so you don't have stone hills biome, then a granite hills biome, and so forth.

The proof of concept is there already with the mesa biome, it's probably mostly a question of massaging their terrain generation to implement rules that define the rock layers.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
Dinnerbone did an AMA today, not much info since a lot of things he was asked he did not have permission from Jeb to openly talk about and a good half the questions were people asking really stupid poo poo. We did find out that the End is probably going to get updated soon, and that they have plans for more underground features like new cave types and ores. Dinnerbone mentioned a few things he would like to do such as new light sources and y-level dependent biomes as well as making it so that the deeper you were, the harder the materials are.

Enzer fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Dec 18, 2013

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Enzer posted:

the harder the materials are.

Isn't it bad enough that Obsidian takes forever to mine already? Why would they want to make digging even more cumbersome?

edit: That other stuff sounds really promising, though.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

And More posted:

Isn't it bad enough that Obsidian takes forever to mine already? Why would they want to make digging even more cumbersome?

edit: That other stuff sounds really promising, though.

That was also more under a section of things he'd like to do, but wouldn't because of gameplay issues. Though having other materials that had the blast resistance of obsidian but, you know, were more usable in mass building, would be kind of nice.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Somehow I can't help but feel like all these recent complaints just highlight how deep some of the game's problems really run.

A lot of the stuff they're adding or talking about adding are things we've seen in mods, like new rock types or slightly varied underground. Now, don't get me wrong, I don't think that because something's already been done in a mod Mojang isn't allowed to add it officially. It's just that having played mods that add new rock types, it doesn't really change much in the long run. I guess the marble/basalt mods like Artifice are the exception, an I can't be mad at more building options, but some aspects of it stand out, like the lack of retro generation, or the potential layering issues.

When people talk about having to go long distances to generate new chunks, it makes me realize how bad travel actually is. Minecraft has time and time again stressed its infinite world, its unending potential for exploration, and with the Amplified feature there's more fun stuff to see than there has been in a long time. But actually getting around is so tedious. It's difficult climbing or navigating rough terrain even in the endgame, because of the lack of climbing and jumping options. But even on a flat plain exploration takes time, because running is your best option and it's not very fast, plus it drains your hunger at ridiculous rates.
The mapping system has come a long way (especially when you consider there originally wasn't one) but even then the options are very small and very limited for a world that's literally infinite in size.

The biggest difference, in my mind, between official updates and mods isn't necessarily the level of quality or anything like that. The difference is that when something is added as a mod, that's about all we get. On rare occasions you'll get a mod that modifies another mod (like Thaumic Tinker). But when something is added officially, everyone gets to work off of that. Mods grow from it. Players become familiar with it. The game's scope is expanded to include it. And because the official team never has to worry about compatibility or changing the core gameplay "too much", they can incorporate new features in a really involved way such that it merges with existing gameplay mechanics and other systems of Minecraft. They can do things of a broad scope; if modders did that, they'd basically be implementing a change so large their mod wouldn't play nice with others, and wouldn't get many downloads, and thus they might shy away from it.
I guess what I'm trying to say is that the one thing that the team has total freedom on VS modders is changing core game mechanics, which have the benefit of being permanent installments. When they added criticals and charging strikes to combat, they changed the combat system permanently (though I would say not enough). It's in their power to, for example, totally revamp travel, by modifying a player's basic movement abilities.

The point of this long, rambling garbage is that as much as improved underground variety and new block types would be really neat, it just feels like they're ignoring core issues that would improve the game fundamentally in favor of more short-term methods designed to simply toss a little more novelty on the pile.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

The ability to step-up blocks and something that enables you to jump 2 or 3 blocks high is really needed in the base game. There is no single thing that affects gameplay and tedium in minecraft more than those 2 small changes.

Taffer fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Dec 18, 2013

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
Dinnerbone touched a little on core gameplay, especially combat since he has a lot of issues with it (to the point that DB said that he'd throw away the current combat system completely and replace it outright). It seems more that the reason they are not touching a lot of the core gameplay, such as combat, that should be changed, is because the team as a whole isn't fully decided on how the changes should be made or what they should even be. While it is true that they have more freedom and can and should change core gameplay, if they gently caress it up, it is going to cause a lot of issues. From the sound of it, it seems that they have been in talks for a while on a lot of things, but until they come to an internal consensus on what should actually be done, we wont see anything except additional content changes. I can understand in a way, things like combat would need some overhauls in a lot of areas to make it even interesting, let alone good. Still, doesn't mean it isn't frustrating from the fanebase point of view.

Taffer posted:

The ability to step-up blocks and something that enables you to jump 2 or 3 blocks high is [i]really[i] needed in the base game. There is no single thing that affects gameplay and tedium in minecraft more than those 2 small changes.

Horses can do both of those. :v:

Now if only they got Jon back on the team to continue to add actual AI to the mobs. :negative:

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Enzer posted:

Horses can do both of those. :v:

Now if only they got Jon back on the team to continue to add actual AI to the mobs. :negative:

That requires having a horse, though, and riding horses sucks. I don't see why both of those things couldn't be boot enchantments.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Taffer posted:

That requires having a horse, though, and riding horses sucks. I don't see why both of those things couldn't be boot enchantments.

Nah, horses are fine.

Oh wait is that a forest biome that just loaded? :negative:

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Enzer posted:

Dinnerbone touched a little on core gameplay, especially combat since he has a lot of issues with it (to the point that DB said that he'd throw away the current combat system completely and replace it outright). It seems more that the reason they are not touching a lot of the core gameplay, such as combat, that should be changed, is because the team as a whole isn't fully decided on how the changes should be made or what they should even be.
I'm glad they recognize it, at least. The first step to overcoming it is admitting you have a problem. I guess I'm just worried that the momentum of the game's core features are what's preventing them from being changed. With a game that's got as many players for as long as Minecraft has, the logic of "This is the way it's always been done" gets ingrained sometimes, and it can be hard to overcome. It's heartening to hear Dinnerbone say he'd scrap it all if he could, because frankly, at this point, that's kind of what it needs.

Taffer posted:

That requires having a horse, though, and riding horses sucks.
This I feel is another instance of stagnating core mechanics VS throwing sprinkles on top. Movement and travel are lame, so they added things like minecarts and horses. But neither of those things actually feel useful or convenient. They don't feel like real solutions, they just feel like brightly colored band-aids stuck onto a more serious issue, and once they're introduced they're never truly fixed and often left to stagnate like so many other features haphazardly tossed in.

I'm not writing off future fixes by any means. I really hope Dinnerbone and Jeb can conquer the pretty serious hurdles laid out in front of them, instead of just stepping around them. But it's going to be a long road either way.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
Oh my, well, Mojang might be losing an employee soon. :stare:

Still a confusing mess, but it looks like he might have been scammed by someone posing as the Mindcrack servers. No clue, but this should be pretty interesting if the chatlogs are real (wishing it showed the full logs). :psyduck:

Supposedly full logs from the server owner. Not much a difference, but holy poo poo if real.

Enzer fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Dec 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Hahaha holy crap what a shitshow. If those chatlogs are real... :allears:

Like, what kind of a dick do you have to be to act like "Glad to help you guys I MEAN I AM A MOJANG DEVELOPER AFTER ALL :smuggo:"

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Dec 19, 2013