Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

Gygaxian posted:

My mom (who is a conservative) tried to point out that the Duck Dynasty guys live in Louisiana, and that Louisiana was less bigoted than the rest of the South, so Phil Robertson might not have seen any obvious discrimination. I... didn't discuss the issue with my mom after that.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that racism is over in Louisiana.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
The home of Angola Prison is LESS racist?

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Kro-Bar posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that racism is over in Louisiana.

Basically. If anything Louisiana is the most racist.

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon

vyelkin posted:

Yes, he did. For example, I'm seeing this wonderful Jesus image going around my own facebook:

Yeah it suffers from wordiness and text-as-an-image syndrome, but it's a drat sight better than "MURICA JESUS :freep:"

It also suffers from the problem of Jesus actually having a lot to say about so-called "sexual immorality."

Thomas13206
Jun 18, 2013

Gygaxian posted:

My mom (who is a conservative) tried to point out that the Duck Dynasty guys live in Louisiana, and that Louisiana was less bigoted than the rest of the South, so Phil Robertson might not have seen any obvious discrimination. I... didn't discuss the issue with my mom after that.

Thomas13206
Jun 18, 2013
I made something y'all can share to show your support for free speech!

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

Gygaxian posted:

Hahaha, yeah, that defense of them doesn't hold a bit of drat water. The Duck Dynasty guys live in North Louisiana, specifically in West Monroe which is an hour from Vicksburg, Mississippi. It's, in fact, a straight shot across the Old Vicksburg Bridge across the River. The culture there is loving identical to white majority towns in Arkansas and Mississippi.

Your mom has bought into a half-truth about the South defined by big cities like New Orleans. The half-truth is "Louisiana is less bigoted than the rest of the South." The full truth is "white racists in New Orleans understand they are a local minority and will suffer repercussions if they wear their racism on their sleeve."

You go to a smaller, majority white town like West Monroe and I guarantee it will look identical to places like the ones in Mississippi that still had upwards of 25% of the population against the idea of interracial marriage in loving YOOL 2012.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
I live in Jackson MS. Louisiana sucks and there is currently a battle in Baton Rouge where a white community wants to incorporate into their own racially segregated city.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
A (black!) cousin of mine said she wasn't offended by Phil's comments. I replied with this picture, saying, "Yup, life was all songs and roses for black folks in the pre-Civil Rights era down South."

Reasons given for black lynchings: Being obnoxious. Demanding respect. Trying to vote. Mistaken identity. :smith:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

The Macaroni posted:

Reasons given for black lynchings: Being obnoxious. Demanding respect. Trying to vote. Mistaken identity. :smith:

Don't forget some of these gems:
  • Arguing with white man
  • Resisting mob
  • Testifying against white man
  • Unpopularity
  • Trying to vote
  • Voted for wrong party
  • Suing white man

Of course anyone who defends the racist south will immediately pick up the reasons like "murder", "child abuse" and "poisoning well" and immediately disregard all those other reasons. Obviously that massive list of lovely reasons that boil down to "because the guy was black" were all outliers that happened once or twice, if at all (LIEBERALS) and a Lynchin' was just how you dealt with a black pedophile, rapist and murderer. Which they all were, or at least waiting for a chance to become.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Dec 20, 2013

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
My facebook is starting to fill up with "yeah, what he said was bad, but hate never solved anything so frankly anyone who hates him for this is just as bad" comments. Fortunately, all of these are friend-of-a-friend type situations so at least it means I don't have to actually deal with these people!

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Countblanc posted:

My facebook is starting to fill up with "yeah, what he said was bad, but hate never solved anything so frankly anyone who hates him for this is just as bad" comments. Fortunately, all of these are friend-of-a-friend type situations so at least it means I don't have to actually deal with these people!

Yeah, I mean Paula Dean just said she wanted a plantation wedding, got a slap on the wrist, and is now right back to making donut burgers on national TV. :shobon:

We're 2/2 on southern TV personalities being racist bigots this year. I don't know how I should feel about that so I'll just go with schadenfreude.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

The Macaroni posted:

Where did you find this? I'd love to post it for some of the "it wasn't so bad as everyone says!!" crowd.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Where is this from? I'm impressed by the editor inserting actual data, and if this was from an actual non-opinion newspaper then I'm going to have to reconsider some of my opinions about the yellow press.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Alkydere posted:

Don't forget some of these gems:
  • Arguing with white man
  • Resisting mob
  • Testifying against white man
  • Unpopularity
  • Trying to vote
  • Voted for wrong party
  • Suing white man

Of course anyone who defends the racist south will immediately pick up the reasons like "murder", "child abuse" and "poisoning well" and immediately disregard all those other reasons. Obviously that massive list of lovely reasons that boil down to "because the guy was black" were all outliers that happened once or twice, if at all (LIEBERALS) and a Lynchin' was just how you dealt with a black pedophile, rapist and murderer. Which they all were, or at least waiting for a chance to become.

Anyone who lists murder or another crime needs a lesson in how the justice system works (hint no mobs based on here-say).

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
You can also just indicate that after the emancipation proclamation slavery still existed due to black convicts who were arrested for just being black traded and sold off to farms and private companies to work off their court"debts" indefinitely.

See the book: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_by_Another_Name

The practice really didn't end until 1945, and that's not even counting the Jim Crow laws on top of that. Black life was completely under siege and still is.

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

sonatinas posted:

You can also just indicate that after the emancipation proclamation slavery still existed due to black convicts who were arrested for just being black traded and sold off to farms and private companies to work off their court"debts" indefinitely.

Eh, those "slaves" didn't know how good they really had it! They should be thankful!

emptyspace
Oct 21, 2008

sonatinas posted:

See the book: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_by_Another_Name

The practice really didn't end until 1945, and that's not even counting the Jim Crow laws on top of that. Black life was completely under siege and still is.

There was also a really great documentary by the same name on PBS a year or so ago.

http://www.pbs.org/tpt/slavery-by-another-name/

Wojtek
Oct 17, 2008
The Duck Dynasty stuff reminds me that these people @4:00ish minutes still exist and long after being gay is "the norm" more people like them will exist :cripes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4-DmzgKb48

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I did like this comment I saw on a friend's post about the situation:

These things all happened in the past 24 hours. One of them has some of my fellow Christians really upset. See if you can guess which one:
1. In America alone, thousands of thousands of elderly people sat alone, no contact with the world, feeling disconnected from God and the world.
2. More than a thousand children died of preventable diseases in Syria and other conflict zones.
3. A millionaire with a beard was suspended from a TV show.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

The Macaroni posted:

A (black!) cousin of mine said she wasn't offended by Phil's comments. I replied with this picture, saying, "Yup, life was all songs and roses for black folks in the pre-Civil Rights era down South."

I can just about 100% guarantee that the number is way too low. I'm not sure where the data originally comes from (not just website, but actual method of research) but even in my limited attempt at documenting lynching in my state a while back, I found that doesn't even scratch the surface. Plus, the cases that did get reported were usually because whites were just so darn proud of themselves for doing it. Lynching was all kinds of sick poo poo.

But poverty and race is something a lot of my family doesn't understand. My mother's side of the family were poor, rural farmers. They worked with African-Americans in the field. Yes, they did a lot of the same work, but at the end of the day, the whites were still white. They could go to the front door of any establishment. They went to better schools. No, you never had any indication they were disenchanted with their lot in life because they were at best shunned and at worst dead and their family terrorized. There are still older African-Americans I talk to who are uneasy with talking about their experiences and refuse to say that integration was anything but smooth.

Gygaxian
May 29, 2013
So a federal judge just struck down Utah's gay marriage ban. My Facebook feed is going get really interesting (I'm a pro-marriage equality Mormon who lives in Utah).

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Twelve by Pies posted:

I did like this comment I saw on a friend's post about the situation:

These things all happened in the past 24 hours. One of them has some of my fellow Christians really upset. See if you can guess which one:
1. In America alone, thousands of thousands of elderly people sat alone, no contact with the world, feeling disconnected from God and the world.
2. More than a thousand children died of preventable diseases in Syria and other conflict zones.
3. A millionaire with a beard was suspended from a TV show.

:drat:

LittlePriest
Oct 5, 2003

Winner #39 of the 2k14 #Gamergate Shit Show
Do not talk to me if your a SJW MRA PUA fucktarded Shitlord, (PS: GJ on ruining videogame journalism twitter drama MODS).
My grandmother and mother live in the town in which Duck Dynasty is filmed.

I lived in that town for a few months as a boy, and compared to my experiences growing up in the southern part of this glorious state, I was honestly shocked by the sheer amount of in your face racism that happened every loving day up there.

Let me repeat for emphasis: as a person living in Louisiana I was shocked by overt racism in that town. And he never saw it? The man's so full of poo poo it's amazing to me. There are still parts of that town where a black person in the wrong neighborhood will be attacked on sight.

Edited out potentially personal information.

LittlePriest fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Dec 22, 2013

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I sometimes wonder why black Mormons couldn't have been more tolerant towards their church's own views that they were cursed and because of that curse unable to become priests. I tell you what, this intolerance is just political correctness gone mad!

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Alkydere posted:

"poisoning well"

I like very much when American USA! people do the poisoning well!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vb3IMTJjzfo

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

LittlePriest posted:

Let me repeat for emphasis: as a person living in Louisiana I was shocked by overt racism in that town. And he never saw it? The man's so full of poo poo it's amazing to me. There are still parts of that town where a black person in the wrong neighborhood will be attacked on sight.

Look, a black person never came up to him and complained that white people will savagely beat them for insolence or a sullen attitude, so obviously it just didn't happen.

If black people got lynched for complaining about white people, that's a pretty big deal and I'm sure black people would have complained.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

LittlePriest posted:

Fish can't see the water. Except in this case it's more the water can't see the water.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

VitalSigns posted:

Look, a black person never came up to him and complained that white people will savagely beat them for insolence or a sullen attitude, so obviously it just didn't happen.

If black people got lynched for complaining about white people, that's a pretty big deal and I'm sure black people would have complained.

Mind sharing any stories, if it's not too much of a derail

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

JohnClark posted:

Here's the link Tom Ollie posted: http://tiny.iavian.net/1qku

First off, her statement that she hasn't read the comments is infuriariting. It took me two seconds of googling to find them once I first heard about this stupid controversy, if she's so passionate about it why they hell didn't she go find out what he actually said?

And leaving aside the absurdly hyperbolic comparison to fascism and Stalin, what is it about anti-gay bigots that inspires such vigorous defense? Because almost all of the people I see defending him are not anti-gay themselves. Is it purely that they like the show and are just upset that it might get disrupted, and they're lashing out unthinkingly? Or is it that they're actually anti-gay but they feel like they can't say that in polite society, and now they have a chance to support the position without really supporting it?

This is to say nothing of the fact that, as bad as his anti-gay comments were, I thought the poo poo about how blacks actually were a lot happier under Jim Crow was even worse.

That's Paglia's entire schtick: if you even disagree somewhat slightly with her super-libertarian feminism, you're a Stalinist. Or, as Wonkette put it, "well, shut our pretty little gay mouths, because Camille Paglia has spoken and Stonewall libertarian argle bargle suck it libtards".

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Wojtek posted:

The Duck Dynasty stuff reminds me that these people @4:00ish minutes still exist and long after being gay is "the norm" more people like them will exist :cripes:

Yeah, piles of those people everywhere. I remember my old man giving me the "don't bring home any surprises" bullshit talk when I went away to college. So those partners never came home with me, or any others for that matter :getin:

Interlude
Jan 24, 2001

Guns are basically hand fedoras.

LittlePriest posted:

My grandmother and mother live in the town in which Duck Dynasty is filmed. I have a picture on my phone of my Mom and one of the other old bearded dudes sitting on my grandmother's couch.

I lived in that town for a few months as a boy, and compared to my experiences growing up in the southern part of this glorious state, I was honestly shocked by the sheer amount of in your face racism that happened every loving day up there.

I spent some time in Monroe and it was racist as gently caress. There are quite literally train tracks dividing the white and black sections of the town. After dinner the night I left, the mother of the family I was staying with read to us from a book of old Sambo stories, complete with fake jive accent. But to say black people would be attacked on sight is a stretch.

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

Interlude posted:

I spent some time in Monroe and it was racist as gently caress. There are quite literally train tracks dividing the white and black sections of the town. After dinner the night I left, the mother of the family I was staying with read to us from a book of old Sambo stories, complete with fake jive accent. But to say black people would be attacked on sight is a stretch.

Yeah, it'd be more of a planned attack than just done on sight.

That's pretty much all of the cities throughout the Deep South; there are train tracks or a highway that divides the black and white sides of town.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Wojtek posted:

They should just rename this show to "white people being loving awful".

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon

Phone posted:

They should just rename this show to "white people being loving awful".

While they're at it, A&E can rebrand themselves with a name more fitting of their programming's lack of anything artful or entertaining; like POS!

Sir Rolo
Oct 16, 2012
Christmas time! And this Christmas everyone gets A true Return to Form for LL101 -

Obamacare!

Uh, okay!

Santa Claus!

Duck Dynasty!

Duck Dynasty!

Santa Claus!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Sir Rolo posted:

Christmas time! And this Christmas everyone gets A true Return to Form for LL101 -

Obamacare!

In case this needs any clearing up:
http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2013/12/05/obama_s_blackberry_president_not_allowed_to_use_iphone_for_security_reasons.html

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Sir Rolo posted:

Santa Claus!

I call bullshit, there's no way Conservatives aren't the ones photoshopping Megyn Kelly onto porn images if that's even happening. I do like that they can't properly spell the name of this popular media personality though.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Dec 21, 2013

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Sir Rolo posted:

Duck Dynasty!

Literally "tolerate my intolerance!" :psyduck:

So (for incredibly obvious reasons), I've never seen so much as a clip of DD. Does the suspension/firing of the interviewed guy essentially mean that the show's now dead in the water? I mean, is he the face of the band show?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Regalingualius posted:

Literally "tolerate my intolerance!" :psyduck:

So (for incredibly obvious reasons), I've never seen so much as a clip of DD. Does the suspension/firing of the interviewed guy essentially mean that the show's now dead in the water? I mean, is he the face of the band show?

It would be like firing Homer Simpson, I guess.