Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deific Presence
May 7, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

It might be a bit tricky to answer without me writing up the list, but my BW Commander deck is running 36 land and 3 rocks (Orzhov Signet, Darksteel Ingot and Sol Ring) does that sound about right? I've cut a few land over my last few games getting flooded, my last game I seemed to be waiting on mana a lot, but that may just be luck of the draw.

Well in B/W mana ramp is hard to come by, I'd recommend investing in a Land Tax or Weathered Wayfarer. 37 lands and 2 rocks is what I run for my BUG deck, but then again having blue and green means I have access to lots of ramp and draw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Gift of estates is pretty sweet too. Plus all the standard artifact land search like wayfarer's bauble, armillary sphere and journeyer's kite

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

Deific Presence posted:

Land Tax or Weathered Wayfarer.

I also really like Knight of the White Orchid for ramp in white. But I don't play a lot of EDH so if a 2/2 First Striker for 2 is any good.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

I struggled on whether to include Anger of the Gods in my build. Hitting it while Tymaret is on the field means you can't recur him from the graveyard, and you have to go digging for another. But if it works for you: great.

Null1fy
Sep 11, 2001

Dungeon Ecology posted:

I struggled on whether to include Anger of the Gods in my build. Hitting it while Tymaret is on the field means you can't recur him from the graveyard, and you have to go digging for another. But if it works for you: great.

I don't have a ton of experience with the deck but I've noticed that you don't really drop him on the board until control has shifted in your favor. In THS format you can slow down the tempo of the game by stalling out with downfall/rocks/thoughtseize

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Dungeon Ecology posted:

You can use Tymaret's "return from graveyard to hand" ability whenever he's in your graveyard, it doesn't have to be in response to him dying. Granted, after a sweep like that you probably won't have any creatures to sac but the option's there once you do have creatures.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

C-Euro posted:

You can use Tymaret's "return from graveyard to hand" ability whenever he's in your graveyard, it doesn't have to be in response to him dying. Granted, after a sweep like that you probably won't have any creatures to sac but the option's there once you do have creatures.

The problem is that if you have Tymaret in play and use Anger, he gets exiled instead of going to the 'yard.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Jabor posted:

The problem is that if you have Tymaret in play and use Anger, he gets exiled instead of going to the 'yard.

Not if you have another one in the graveyard he doesn't!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Jabor posted:

Oh duh, Anger exiles :downs: Totally forgot what that card did there.

E:

Deific Presence posted:

A friend of mine has an extremely nice Sisay deck (complete with Gaea's Cradle, among other awesome legendary things, being able to tap your general to tutor up land is amazing) and it's pretty much unstoppable if you don't kill Sisay early and often.

Thousand-Year Elixer is your best friend.

I know this post is over a month old, but do you think you could get this list off your friend sometime? I'm getting close to finishing my own version and I want to see if there's anything obvious that I missed.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Dec 18, 2013

Deific Presence
May 7, 2007

C-Euro posted:

I know this post is over a month old, but do you think you could get this list off your friend sometime? I'm getting close to finishing my own version and I want to see if there's anything obvious that I missed.

I'll try to hang out with him this weekend and get the list down.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Some Numbers posted:

Rakdos Aggro players: how important is it to have all four Exavas? Has anyone had success with Civic Saber?

Not too important, since she's the most expensive thing in the deck and you can't have more than one of her on the battlefield. I think 3 Exavas is fine.

xK1
Dec 1, 2003

Fish Of Doom posted:

Not too important, since she's the most expensive thing in the deck and you can't have more than one of her on the battlefield. I think 3 Exavas is fine.

Yeah, I start 4 but usually side at least one of them out for games 2 & 3.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

a dozen swans posted:

(also, elspeth+purp sounds hilarious)

I pulled both of them in my prerelease pack. It was really dumb because either of them was a game-winning bomb, and the times I got both out were just instant kills.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Fish Of Doom posted:

The one thing I will say is she's pretty much the only maindeck way of dealing with Fiendslayers, which are the biggest threat I've found so far. Even side you can only really get Thoughtseize or Mortars and hope to overload it, but in around 15 games I played I only hit 6 mana once, and that was because I couldn't attack with anything due to the Fiendslayer.

Nissir
Apr 23, 2007
Man with no Title
My LGS has a modern peasant tournament that is in a few weeks and I have never played this format. Is there any real fun and competitive that you have played or seen in use?

Here are the rules http://forums.pdcmagic.com/viewtopic.php?t=5556 same as modern pauper but you are allowed 5 uncommons.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Nissir posted:

My LGS has a modern peasant tournament that is in a few weeks and I have never played this format. Is there any real fun and competitive that you have played or seen in use?

Here are the rules http://forums.pdcmagic.com/viewtopic.php?t=5556 same as modern pauper but you are allowed 5 uncommons.

Some version of izzet blitz. Kiln fiend, gitaxian probe, bolt. http://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/9002 If you can add uncommons fiddle with young pyro, spellheart chimera, guttersnipe.

3 Island
9 Mountain
4 Steam Vents
4 Sulfur Falls
4 Artful Dodge
4 Assault Strobe
4 Faithless Looting
4 Gitaxian Probe
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Izzet Charm
4 Kiln Fiend
4 Manamorphose
4 Young Pyromancer
4 Nivix Cyclops

this is a list I built a while back, fix it up with izzet guildgates, take out the izzet charms.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
It looks like they are using the pauper ban list without adding examining uncommons. Here's the start of your deck:

4 skullclamp

Captain Filth
May 7, 2007
You could do infect all the creatures and pump spells are comon except for a couple. You wouldn't be able to use Inkmoth Nexus and the good dual lands but almost the entire rest of the deck is common and a couple of uncommons.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Yeah, this Infect deck costs $10 or less and has 8 uncommons (Necropede and Plague Myr) so you'd just have to swap 3 of them for something else.

http://www.mtgvault.com/sway/decks/hyper-budget-infect/

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Boco_T posted:

Yeah, this Infect deck costs $10 or less and has 8 uncommons (Necropede and Plague Myr) so you'd just have to swap 3 of them for something else.

http://www.mtgvault.com/sway/decks/hyper-budget-infect/

I'd do blue/green infect instead just for the better pump. Probably something like this:

4 Glistener Elf
4 Blighted Agent
4 Ichorclaw Myr

4 Rancor

3 Apostle's Blessing
3 Distortion Strike
4 Groundswell
4 Mutagenic Growth
2 Phytoburst
4 Predator's Strike
4 Vines of Vastwood

8 Forest
8 Island
4 Simic Guildgate

And that's only four uncommons, so there's room for one more.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Descided to start over with my Orzhov/Teysa Commander deck. I found the last few games that I was stuck for land and castable spells early on, so tried to make something cohesive that should give a good shot at an early 3-drop that should be descent early or late, and which works well with Teysa's abilities. Low creature count, but lots of tokens and a fair amount of lifegain. I'm actually a little concerned I'm not able to gain the life I used to. If it's a problem I'll probably put some small Extort creatures in, along with Soul Warden and Suture Priest.

Here's an old list if anyone is interested, it's not exactly what I've been running, but it shows more cards that I've considered.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.
I've been looking for a Jhoira commander deck after a few of you suggested it, and finally found one that is reasonable priced. Is there anything in this deck that you'd swap out or change? I think most of this deck is pretty solid and I should be able to get it for around $150.

Jhoira-Eldrazi Commander

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

OssiansFolly posted:

I've been looking for a Jhoira commander deck after a few of you suggested it, and finally found one that is reasonable priced. Is there anything in this deck that you'd swap out or change? I think most of this deck is pretty solid and I should be able to get it for around $150.

Jhoira-Eldrazi Commander

This is your "I'm trying to be a douche" deck correct?

And it DOESN'T have Omniscience or Upheaval?

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!

BizarroAzrael posted:

Descided to start over with my Orzhov/Teysa Commander deck. I found the last few games that I was stuck for land and castable spells early on, so tried to make something cohesive that should give a good shot at an early 3-drop that should be descent early or late, and which works well with Teysa's abilities. Low creature count, but lots of tokens and a fair amount of lifegain. I'm actually a little concerned I'm not able to gain the life I used to. If it's a problem I'll probably put some small Extort creatures in, along with Soul Warden and Suture Priest.

Here's an old list if anyone is interested, it's not exactly what I've been running, but it shows more cards that I've considered.

If Mimic Vat can find a slot it should, it'd help give a few extra uses out of powerful ETB dudes. Consider a couple defensive tricks? Sudden Spoiling can be great in shutting someone down at a key moment. Given the tokens too, Rootborn Defences?

Spear of Heliod could also be a consideration. Lastly, Nighthowler? Bestow onto Teysa 2.0 for hilarity. These are just extra suggestions, as a whole it seems pretty good.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Bread Set Jettison posted:

But what would I ditch for those cards? I understand they are great cards, but I can see the advantage of the other cards as well. I guess Omniscience would be the best card I could possibly put in this deck so I can probably ditch almost ANYTHING and it will be a homerun. Upheaval is good, but I already have a decent amount of removal in the deck I found.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

OssiansFolly posted:

But what would I ditch for those cards? I understand they are great cards, but I can see the advantage of the other cards as well. I guess Omniscience would be the best card I could possibly put in this deck so I can probably ditch almost ANYTHING and it will be a homerun. Upheaval is good, but I already have a decent amount of removal in the deck I found.

Archaeomancer is Izzet Chronomancer for 1 CMC cheaper.

Also "My upkeep starts, upheaval, then Eldrazi hits the board" is why you play upheaval. You can probably pull something like Turnabout.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Mikujin posted:

Archaeomancer is Izzet Chronomancer for 1 CMC cheaper.

Also "My upkeep starts, upheaval, then Eldrazi hits the board" is why you play upheaval. You can probably pull something like Turnabout.

But doesn't Obliterate give me the same results?

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

OssiansFolly posted:

But doesn't Obliterate give me the same results?

Redundancy is important in a 99 card deck.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Upheaval is banned.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Snacksmaniac posted:

Upheaval is banned.
Wasn't he just building some kitchen table thing to annoy his friends? If he's actually following the banlist use Devastation Tide (upheaval lite) I guess.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Mikujin posted:

Wasn't he just building some kitchen table thing to annoy his friends? If he's actually following the banlist use Devastation Tide (upheaval lite) I guess.

Yea they still follow the ban list. Ok, I will add in those 2 cards and find a way to fit them in.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

OssiansFolly posted:

Yea they still follow the ban list. Ok, I will add in those 2 cards and find a way to fit them in.

Cackling Counterpart doesn't seem particularly strong when you have so many Legendary Creatures

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
I'm switching from golgari aggro to golgari midrange, Let's see how it goes!

Deific Presence
May 7, 2007
I need some advice for this Marath EDH deck I am building. So far I've got about 70% of the cards on this list and I'm wondering if I should change anything up before I buy/trade for others.

Marath EDH

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Hello Douche.dec, my name is Sunder.

Man_alive
May 6, 2007

<Insert Witty Phrase Here>
I'm thinking of building an EDH deck, but not sure where to begin. I am leaning in the direction of Bant, though. Would I be best picking up the pre-con and then building from there, or is there a better way of doing it?

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

Man_alive posted:

I'm thinking of building an EDH deck, but not sure where to begin. I am leaning in the direction of Bant, though. Would I be best picking up the pre-con and then building from there, or is there a better way of doing it?

Take the precon and make it into bird and wizard tribal. It's what I did and I've had fun with it (and I hate edh).

Man_alive
May 6, 2007

a dozen swans posted:

Take the precon and make it into bird and wizard tribal. It's what I did and I've had fun with it (and I hate edh).

Do you have a listing that I might be able to grab a couple of ideas from?

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

Man_alive posted:

Do you have a listing that I might be able to grab a couple of ideas from?

This is old but still pretty accurate. It's not the fanciest deck but I wanted something fun to play when everyone wants to play edh instead of twiddling my thumbs / borrowing a deck all the time.

e: VVV it's even cheaper than you think. I bought all the additional cards for like five bucks, and the precon itself for thirty. I paid more for sleeves than I did turning it into bird wizard tribal.

a dozen swans fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Dec 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man_alive
May 6, 2007

a dozen swans posted:

This is old but still pretty accurate. It's not the fanciest deck but I wanted something fun to play when everyone wants to play edh instead of twiddling my thumbs / borrowing a deck all the time.

Thank you for this. Judging by the listing, it's not all that expensive either, so that's a plus.

• Locked thread