Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
I accidentally joined a draft at my FLGS tonight rather than join what appeared to be a rather weak field for FNM, but I was still able to get some MURDERGOATS action in. I had a friend use the deck against Esper Control and apparently kick its rear end - which is strange considering my fear of Esper Control.

I also used got to play against a R/W aggro deck. It wasn't super-optimized but was pretty annoying as it used that knight that cannot be targeted by opposing red and black spells. Both of my wins involved slowly grinding out by making blockers and either drawing into Purphoros or swarming with tokens. At one point my opponent had 35+ life due to the Knight + Madcap Skills and I had 13, but had a copy of Tymaret in my hand and two Trading Posts out. I was able to create a goat token, discard Tymaret for life with Post A, then sacrifice the token after declaring a block.

The deck is so weird to play and my R/W opponent really had no idea how to deal with it aside from using Chained to the Rocks on Young Pyromancer or the Akroan Horse. If the added removal makes the G/W aggro matchup better, I feel way better about this deck in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Deific Presence posted:

I need some advice for this Marath EDH deck I am building. So far I've got about 70% of the cards on this list and I'm wondering if I should change anything up before I buy/trade for others.

Marath EDH

A few things I'd suggest are Nemata, who gets really bonkers with the token duplicating enchantments, Gaea's cradle for obvious reasons, and because it combos well with Nemata and potentially makes some very interesting interactions with your commander I'd suggest heartsone. I don't think it will actually let you activate Marath for a 1/1 token for zero mana, but it might, and if so that is hilarious in ways I can't explain. With a sac outlet and the ability to crank out infinite tokens you can make Marath as big as needed and just throw him at people.

E: So the oracle text on Marath doesn't seem to specify that X can't be adjusted via effects on the board, just that you can't declare X to be zero when you activate the ability. I don't know how this interacts with heartstone, but if it works at all like a spell you'd announce you were activating for 1, then pay any adjusted costs (in this example 1-1=0), and get your token and a smaller Marath.

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Dec 21, 2013

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

bhsman posted:

The deck is so weird to play and my R/W opponent really had no idea how to deal with it aside from using Chained to the Rocks on Young Pyromancer or the Akroan Horse. If the added removal makes the G/W aggro matchup better, I feel way better about this deck in general.

Well, you're in luck, because the added removal definitely makes the G/W aggro matchup better. Unfortunately, it still doesn't make it fantastic. Fiendslayer Paladin is awful, but Ratchet Bomb, Mizzium Mortars and the declare blocker / sac to tymaret trick all help to neutralize it. Gift of Orzhova lets you swing over their head and gain more life, too, which is nice. I've also won a couple of times now with a flying Master of Cruelties (in my deck as a 1-of), and while it's not super stable, it gets around lifegain and turns any state into a 1-2 turn clock.

The fact that nobody understands how the deck works is one of the things that makes it so fun for me. I hate trample so much, though.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Quick question for my Sisay EDH deck- would Terminus be a good sweeper to include? It does tuck generals and let me get my own creatures back eventually, but I feel like the last thing I want is to have Sisay tucked since the deck revolves around constantly tutoring up stuff with her, and even though I have a copy of Time of Need for such an event there's no guarantee I'll have it when I need it. Right now my sweepers are Austere Command and Kirtar's Wrath.

E: My current list, if it helps the decision. I'm already running a few "put stuff from your graveyard back into your deck" cards so maybe creature death isn't so bad?
Deck: Captain Sisay EDH

Display deck statistics

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Dec 21, 2013

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
I'd say the MURDERFARM variants are probably harder to play than the control decks.

2-1-1 last night with G/u. Loss in the first round to W/b humans to two Brave the Elements in game one and TRIPLE Banisher Priest in game two. Tie was in round two to a G/r deck that was strikingly similar to my list. He crushed me in game one with alarming speed, I dragged out game two and eventually took it down with a 22/22 Kalonian Hydra (Bow of Nylea on my side) after using Progenitor Mimic to copy a Nylea's disciple to gain about 40 life over two turns. The second game took about forty minutes plus two turns.

Next two rounds involved me crushing 2-0, 2-0 against decks I don't even remember.

Scary part: I got fifth of thirteen with that record. The guy I lost to in round one got fourth.

I also picked up a playset of Pack Rats in a trade, I'll be able to put some rats in the farm.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Mezzanon posted:

I'm switching from golgari aggro to golgari midrange, Let's see how it goes!

Is your list any different from Kibler's list?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

ScarletBrother posted:

Is your list any different from Kibler's list?

A little bit different. -2 Vraska, -1 Mutavault, +3 Desecration Demons. And different sideboard cards.

Alright, I said yesterday that I changed my FNM deck from Golgari Aggro to Golgari Midrange. So here is the deck as it stands now:

Golgari Midrange:

Main Board:

Creatures:

4x Sylvan Caryatid
3x Scavenging Ooze
3x Desecration Demon
3x Polukranos, World Eater
4x Reaper of the Wild

// 17 Total

Spells:

2x Thoughtseize
1x Ultimate Price
1x Doom Blade
1x Golgari Charm
4x Abrupt Decay
3x Read the Bones
2x Putrefy
4x Hero's Downfall

// 18 Total

Planeswalkers:

1x Vraska, the Unseen

// 1 Total

Land:

3x Golgari Guildgate
4x Overgrown Tomb
2x Mutavault
7x Forest
8x Swamp

// 24 Total

Sideboard:

2x Thoughtseize
2x Golgari Charm
1x Doom Blade
1x Ultimate Price
2x Underworld Connections
1x Gift of Orzhova
2x Lifebane Zombie
4x Mistcutter Hydra

And here were my match notes from yesterday (mostly copied from the general magic discussion page) I went 6-1 throughout the whole day, here they are with my notes!

Round 1 vs Mono Black: Win 2-0

Game 1: We exchange Thoughtseizes. Opponent lands an Erebos. Erebos + Devour Flesh is loving horrible to play against, and might be the hardest thing about Mono-Black. eventually I stick a Reaper of the wilds with hexproof mana, and go to town.

Sideboard: In +2 thoughtseize, +1 ultimate price, +2 Golgari charm. Out: Doom Blade, read the bones

Game 2: drop a desecration demon, golgari charm to regenerate from the hero's downfall. use two removal spells on Pack rat and pack rat token. Keep opponent off devotion so Grey Merchant isn't scary, and then drop a scooze with 4+ green mana open as soon as he drops a whip.

Round 2 vs Jund Reanimator (this is a rogue deck a judge friend of mine brewed up and it is loving insane how good it is): Win 2-1

Game 1: I know what his general gameplan is, so I dig for a scooze and try to keep his graveyard empty, while still holding something that will get rid of his whip. I keep his board clear, and Golgari Charm Whip 1, and Putrefy whip 2. However opponent is now at 5 land and 2 caryatids, so he casts back to back sylvan primordials, then attacks, bloodrushes a skarrg goliath onto one of the primordials, and then casts a blood of Flesh//Blood to finish me off. I don't even mind because it's probably the most stylish victory I've ever seen.

Sideboard: Side out thoughtseize, read the bones. Side in Doom blade, Golgari Charm, Ultimate price.

Game 2: Use golgari charm and putrefy to take out 3 lotleth trolls, use a scooze to keep the graveyard empty, use golgari charm to regenerate scooze, huge scooze wins the game.

Game 3: T3 reaper of the wilds with ALL THE REMOVAL as backup is enough to get me the victory. Putrefy for the whip of erebos is also very helpful.

Round 3 vs White Weenie Humans (Splash black): Lose 0-2

Game 1: He's way too fast with the blitz, it's brutal. Imposing Sovereign and mana troubles really poo poo on me.

Game 2: I almost could have won this one, but I didn't. Double Xathrid Necromancer, and my complete lack ofunderstanding over what orzhov charm does costs me the game. Oh well.

Round 4 vs Rakdos Humans: win 2-0

My opponent was mostly running black just for dreadbore and spike jester. If he had been running tormented hero and xathrid necromancer, I probably would have just lost.

Game 1: He comes out with a standard Rakdos humans/red devotion list. I respond by removing everything forever. Things get really interesting when my opponent casts a completely loving unexpected purphoros which starts chipping away at my life. I win at 3 life via double desecration demon and removal for days.

Sideboard: Out: Thoughtseize, read the bones. In: removal, gift of orzhova

Game 2: Opponent apparently keeps a weird hand because he goes T2 Ash Zealot (I ultimate Price) T3 Ash Zealot (Abrupt Decay) T4 Purphoros. Then he dreadbores my next 3 creatures. I finally stick a Reaper of the wilds (reaper of the wilds is the best 6-drop ever) suit it up with a gift of orzhova, and liflink my way to victory.

Round 5 vs Mono-Black (but a really interesting version that runs a singleton abhorrent overlord): Win 2-1

Game 1: Back and forth slugfest, removal everywhere. Opponent drops an abhorrent overlord (WHAT?!?) which I immediately remove. Next turn opponent drops a land, a whip, and returns the overlord (seriously what) and just lifelinks that poo poo all the way to victory.

Sideboard: Out: Doom blade, read the bones, a polukranos. In: More thoughtseize, golgari charm (I go to 61 cards)

Game 2: I T1 thoughtseize and hit my opponents thoughtseize. T2 Caryatid, gets devour fleshed by my opponent on his turn (dick move!). T3 I thoughtseize again and hit his Grey Merchant, and I don't see any removal. T4 Reaper of the wilds gets a hero's downfall. By this point we're both exceptionally low on cards so I cast a Vraska. Opponent draws grey merchants, I draw removal, and I win with a vraska assassin token kill (gently caress yes style points!)

Game 3: Opponent goes T1 Thoughtseize and hits my thoughtseize. Opponent Goes T2 Duress (hitting hero's downfall), Thoughtseize (hitting Sylvan Caryatid). That's disruptive. I Go T4 Polukranos, T5 Desecration Demon, T6 Reaper of the wilds, T7 Polukranos (Because the earlier one ate removal), T8 Desecration demon. I draw nothing but gas and my opponent eventually runs out of removal. Feels good man.

Round 6 vs Izzet counterburn (opponent only had 1 guttersnipe, he needed more): Win 2-0

Game 1: All I see from my opponent is two spellheart chimeras (that both eat abrupt decays) 4 magma jets, and a divination. I have removal and two desecration demons.

Sideboard: Out: ultimate price, read the bones. In: thoughtseize, Mistcutter Hydra.

Game 2: Sideboard doesn't matter because opponent get's stuck on one blue and therefore can't counter anything.

Round 7 vs RW(u) control: Win 2-1

Game 1: Opponent drops a poo poo pile of burn, including a combo of mortars and magma jet to kill one reaper of the wilds (a play my opponent called "greasy" and I was inclined to agree) But my combination of removal and fatty's allows me to stabilize at 2 (luckily after I had already seen 4 magma jets) and I go to town with desecration demon and Reaper of the wilds.

Sideboard: out: read the bones, a scooze, ultimate price. In: Golgari charm, Lifebane Zombie, more thoughtseize.

Game 2: Opponent has 3 Detention Spheres and I draw 0 golgari charms or abrupt decays. I get punched to death for the whole 20 by a Boros Reckoner. I feel sad. However I did Lifebane an angel of serenity, AND a heliod, so at least that felt good.

Game 3. Opponent Mulls to 5, and I T1 thoughtseize a heliod out of his hand (seeing 3 scrylands). T2 Caryatid,and T3 reaper of the wilds. I then begin aggressively protecting the reaper and just punching in. Opponent drops a T5 Pithing needle naming reaper of the wilds (and I know he has a detention sphere in hand) So in response to pithing needle being cast I activate reapers hexproof so that I can dodge the D-sphere for a turn, which is all I need because I have a putrefy in hand for the pithing needle, and I keep swinging in with the hexproof rear end in a top hat reaper of the wilds. T6 opponent is at 4 life and drops an elspeth, +1-ing her for some blockers. At end of turn I golgari charm the knights, and swing on my turn, gg.

Thoughts on the deck:

- This deck is loving insane.

- I am considering finding room in the sideboard for 2x fade into antiquity, because Gods are a real problem (actually mostly Heliod his ability to make chump blockers and hand out vigilance is pretty huge. Also maybe for purphoros, because he's scary)

- Also maybe look into time to feed as sidebard tech against blood baron. The only downside with this deck vs the aggro golgari deck is that I lose out on boon satyr vs orzhov midrange. And against blood baron, boon satyr just reads GG1, destroy target attacking blood baron, opponent gains 4 life.

- Other than that the deck is rock loving solid. Sylvan Caryatids are a huge blocker against aggro, and other than that every creature in your deck is a game winning threat. Other than that the deck is entirely creature/planeswalker removal.

- Vraska intimidates the poo poo out of people.

- I've seen other versions of this list run 3x Vraska in the main, 25 land (so 3x mutavault instead of 2) and zero desecration demons, which I might end up experimenting with, Vraska makes people misplay all the time because all three of her abilities are surprisingly good.

- I've also seen other lists that ran Pack rats in the sideboard, which seems interesting but I'm not sure if I'm all that into it.

- Reaper of the Wilds is the best "6-drop" currently in standard.

General Match tips, and archetype descriptions:

Mono-B: I feel pretty confident against Mono Black. Golgari is very difficult for mono black to fight through because most of the removal they have is a blank against me G1, and my creature quality is significantly higher. Just remember to bring your two additional thoughtseizes out of the board, keep them off devotion, and stop a whip from landing. I give it 60/40 in favour of Golgari.

Mono-U: This once again comes down to keeping them off devotion. Golgari Charm is good from the side for the -1/-1, and for getting rid of bident. Keep your removal in hand, but be prepared for some tight games. I give this 55/45 in favour of Golgari.

Rakdos Aggro: Doom blades, thoughtseizes, and read the bones go out. Removal, Golgari Charm, and Gift of Orzhova win. The deck is based around hasty beaters with one toughness, and a mana cost lower than three. Play the control deck in this match and you can't lose. 75/25 in favour of Golgari

White Weenie Humans (Splash black): This is a much tougher aggro matchup because banisher priests and Brave the elements and soldier of the pantheon, and precinct captain are all very valid cards against you. Additionally, Xathrid necromancers and Thoughtseize from the opponents sideboard can really put a damper on your "removal and big singular threats" game plan. I give this 55/45 in favour of White Weenie

Mono-R: Same as black and blue, keep them off devotion because Fanatic of Mogis is a real card. Keep a scooze ready for when Chandra's Phoenix hits the yard, and abrupt decay reckoners all day erryday. Sideboard in more removal, and gift of Orzhova. I rate this 65/35 in favour of Golgari.

UW/(x) Control (Esper, America, or even Azorius): Stick one threat and Ride it to downtown poundtown! They will eventually have to start casting Supreme verdict to kill one creature, and that always feels amazing. This is a super interesting match, and it's really fun to play, because you have tricks that get around D-Sphere (Abrupt Decay, Golgari Charm, Reaper's ability to get hexproof) and Supreme verdict (Golgari Charm to Regen all day) Just play it cautious, every creature in your deck is a game-ending threat. Sideboard out scooze, doom blade, ultimate price. Sideboard in Mistcutter Hydra, more thoughtseize, and more golgari charm. I give it 55/45 for Golgari.

Deific Presence
May 7, 2007

Man_alive posted:

I'm thinking of building an EDH deck, but not sure where to begin. I am leaning in the direction of Bant, though. Would I be best picking up the pre-con and then building from there, or is there a better way of doing it?

The precons are alright starting points, most importantly they have the two most essential cards for any EDH deck. Command Tower and Sol Ring.

As far as Bant goes, most people build Rafiq. Rafiq is awesome. Rafiq hits hard. Rafiq is fun to play. The problem is, using my LGS as an example, that about half the people who play EDH have a Rafiq deck.

Roon is also becoming really popular, and is fun to play and wins hard. He is also a dick. Blowing up everyone's lands with a Primeval Titan Sylvan Primordial is a dick move. Do it repeatedly.

Some people just build Goodstuff.dec with Rubina, Jenara, Angus Mackenzie, etc. This is acceptable if you can afford all the Goodstuff that is available in Bant. Control like nobody's business.

The dragons aren't worth mentioning, and Pheldagriff is often played as a silly Group Hug deck that just plays politics with everyone.

a dozen swans posted:

Take the precon and make it into bird and wizard tribal. It's what I did and I've had fun with it (and I hate edh).

My buddy did this with Kangee and it turned out pretty drat powerful.

Deific Presence fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Dec 22, 2013

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Yeah, I know someone who's working on a Roon deck and abusing EBT triggers is a valid EDH strategy/way to make everyone hate you. Sylvan Primordial, Acidic Slime, and Woodfall Primus immediately spring to mind in green and I'm sure there are other good examples in blue (and white, to a lesser extent)

To that end, you absolutely have to get a copy of Deadeye Navigator. At the two EDH events I've done at my shop, the decks that came out on top both abused the hell out of that card and creatures with EBT triggers. There is some serious talk at my store about banning it because it makes insane triggers like Sylvan Primordial's into a 1U uncounterable spell that just goes back to your hand (on a related note, all the Gatecrash Primordials are good in EDH)

Deific Presence
May 7, 2007

C-Euro posted:

To that end, you absolutely have to get a copy of Deadeye Navigator. At the two EDH events I've done at my shop, the decks that came out on top both abused the hell out of that card and creatures with EBT triggers. There is some serious talk at my store about banning it because it makes insane triggers like Sylvan Primordial's into a 1U uncounterable spell that just goes back to your hand (on a related note, all the Gatecrash Primordials are good in EDH)

Deadeye Navigator is ridiculous. I ran one in my Damia deck until I decided it was just unfun. Mystic Snake or Venser + Deadeye = Counter everything ever for 1U. Palinchron for infinite mana. The aforementioned non-creature permanent exploders. You can even blink them out to prevent removal.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

Man_alive posted:

I'm thinking of building an EDH deck, but not sure where to begin. I am leaning in the direction of Bant, though. Would I be best picking up the pre-con and then building from there, or is there a better way of doing it?

While not quite bant, the first deck I built was Bruna (UW), and it is a blast to play. Basically, you load up on enchantments and enchantment tutors, and then swing with Bruna. As always, there are some expensive cards, but loads of the cards you need are under $1. I took my old list and just cut out a bunch of the more expensive cards that aren't really necessary, here it is:
http://deckstats.net/deck-3320058-0ed5e31d8da18e898e035660b39a8a04.html
The other $10+ cards in there you should probably have for edh anyways (Divining Top, Enlightened Tutor, Avacyn). You could probably still skip colonnade and hallowed fountain if you don't already have those, and in general, while you can get really expensive in your land base, for a two color deck, you can do just fine with mostly islands and plains. I'd recommend cheap utility lands though.
There are a billion enchantments that are fun to play with, so see what works for you. I'd also put more mana rocks in this deck, I just haven't really updated/modified the deck in forever.

Man_alive
May 6, 2007

<Insert Witty Phrase Here>

Deific Presence posted:

The precons are alright starting points, most importantly they have the two most essential cards for any EDH deck. Command Tower and Sol Ring.

As far as Bant goes, most people build Rafiq. Rafiq is awesome. Rafiq hits hard. Rafiq is fun to play. The problem is, using my LGS as an example, that about half the people who play EDH have a Rafiq deck.

Roon is also becoming really popular, and is fun to play and wins hard. He is also a dick. Blowing up everyone's lands with a Primeval Titan Sylvan Primordial is a dick move. Do it repeatedly.

Some people just build Goodstuff.dec with Rubina, Jenara, Angus Mackenzie, etc. This is acceptable if you can afford all the Goodstuff that is available in Bant. Control like nobody's business.

The dragons aren't worth mentioning, and Pheldagriff is often played as a silly Group Hug deck that just plays politics with everyone.

My buddy did this with Kangee and it turned out pretty drat powerful.

It's interesting you mention control, as while I started looking at A Dozen Swans' listing, and trying to emulate that, I've sort of shifted towards a more control-esque build - not unlike the "Wake" deck that Daniel Zinc used to take out the worlds in 2003. I've even got a copy of Capsize to go straight into the deck. The idea of being able to cast it over and over again appeals to me somehow. I've gotten a few recursion effects (i.e flashback and "shuffle graveyard into library" effects - Psychic Spiral , anyone?) going on. I am going to end up being "THAT" guy, but in some ways I really don't care - particularly after seeing some guy play Omniscience, and then cycle through his entire library, while slowly chipping away at his opponent's mana base.

C-Euro posted:

Yeah, I know someone who's working on a Roon deck and abusing EBT triggers is a valid EDH strategy/way to make everyone hate you. Sylvan Primordial, Acidic Slime, and Woodfall Primus immediately spring to mind in green and I'm sure there are other good examples in blue (and white, to a lesser extent)

In addition the the above, I'm now looking at doing something to abuse a few ETB effects like you mention. I must thank you for the hint on this one. I did immediately think of Sundering Titan when you mentioned it, so I am now looking into doing a few things to try and abuse those effects.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Man_alive posted:

In addition the the above, I'm now looking at doing something to abuse a few ETB effects like you mention. I must thank you for the hint on this one. I did immediately think of Sundering Titan when you mentioned it, so I am now looking into doing a few things to try and abuse those effects.

Some light reading on the matter for your Sunday morning. In general anything you can do to stretch those 100 cards and use them multiple times is good in EDH (Eternal Witness is a green EDH staple), as are things that scale up to having more than two players (for example the Gatecrash Primordials that I mentioned, and the Odyssey Lhurgoyfs. Or Multani, Maro-Sorceror :getin:)

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Dec 22, 2013

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Was at a PTQ yesterday with Orzhov control, ended up on a string of 3 draws, and I hold that in events like that one draw is likely to lead to another, as you are more likely to be drawn against slow control players who always go to time. The problem, as I see it, is that in all three games I drew I played against other Blood Barons (mirror match and Esper control feat. wincons, and someone who nicked one of mine with Ashiok) who just keep running past each other whilst things go nowhere.

So I've started looking for solutions. One for one Desecration Demons can't race them, my only other option is one of 4 Devour Flesh.

One option is more sacrifice effect, and to my mind there's only Away (I think Agent of Fates might work but in a completely different deck). If I added blue to the full Far//Away fusion my be good, but if I've gone Esper there's all kinds of other things that should be in there, and maybe it should turn into a whole other deck. Blue also offers Hybridisation.

I've had a look for other useful stuff, Last Breath are seeing play because they can hit Nightveil Spectre, so got interested in a resilient 3 power creature (to duck Elspeth's -2) that's multicolour, and found Sentry of the Underworld. Thought it might be handy since it can survive Verdict, but it's probably too expensive and not powerful enough.

As a bit of a curveball, I got thinking about Teysa, EoG in the sideboard for matches against Barons. Barons will be destroyed by her ability, but the decks running him will probably have a shot at dealing with her. I do have decent chance of getting 7 mana down in games like those, though.

Otherwise, it might just have to be a few more Guildgates to give access to Celestial Flare. Boring but possibly functional if I can feed demons and destroy any attacking rats.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

BizarroAzrael posted:

Was at a PTQ yesterday with Orzhov control, ended up on a string of 3 draws, and I hold that in events like that one draw is likely to lead to another, as you are more likely to be drawn against slow control players who always go to time. The problem, as I see it, is that in all three games I drew I played against other Blood Barons (mirror match and Esper control feat. wincons, and someone who nicked one of mine with Ashiok) who just keep running past each other whilst things go nowhere.

So I've started looking for solutions. One for one Desecration Demons can't race them, my only other option is one of 4 Devour Flesh.

One option is more sacrifice effect, and to my mind there's only Away (I think Agent of Fates might work but in a completely different deck). If I added blue to the full Far//Away fusion my be good, but if I've gone Esper there's all kinds of other things that should be in there, and maybe it should turn into a whole other deck. Blue also offers Hybridisation.

I've had a look for other useful stuff, Last Breath are seeing play because they can hit Nightveil Spectre, so got interested in a resilient 3 power creature (to duck Elspeth's -2) that's multicolour, and found Sentry of the Underworld. Thought it might be handy since it can survive Verdict, but it's probably too expensive and not powerful enough.

As a bit of a curveball, I got thinking about Teysa, EoG in the sideboard for matches against Barons. Barons will be destroyed by her ability, but the decks running him will probably have a shot at dealing with her. I do have decent chance of getting 7 mana down in games like those, though.

Otherwise, it might just have to be a few more Guildgates to give access to Celestial Flare. Boring but possibly functional if I can feed demons and destroy any attacking rats.

Yeah. In the Orzhov mirror, Celestial Flare is god. You could also try Lifebane Zombie for extra chances to nick their Barons before they hit the field. Or maybe Sanguine Bond to try and outrace them (and double your Gary's effectiveness).

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

AlternateNu posted:

Yeah. In the Orzhov mirror, Celestial Flare is god. You could also try Lifebane Zombie for extra chances to nick their Barons before they hit the field. Or maybe Sanguine Bond to try and outrace them (and double your Gary's effectiveness).

Not running Gary (and didn't Garruk used to be Gary?) I did manage to catch an Esper player's Baron with a Lifebane once after a Duress. Don't know about Lifebane in the mirror though, seems pretty lovely on the field when he's just a 3/1. Bond might be fun if I can fit it in the curve.

Wish Gatecrash could have given us a BW hybrid creature on par with Reckoner or Spectre. Gift of Orzhova doesn't really seem to cut it.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Preface: this deck is terrible. Like, I'm not asking for advice on how to make this non-janky, I'm asking advice on how to tidy it up and make the jank a little more consistent. Also, I know going over 60 cards is bad, but I've been trying to work out what to take from this pile for a while.

// Deck

// Creatures

4 Seeker of Skybreak
4 Judge of Currents
4 Amoeboid Changeling
2 Sygg, River Guide
3 Undead Slayer
2 Mirror Entity
2 Tidewater Minion
1 Felidar Sovereign

// 22 Total

// Permanents

2 Phyrexian Processor
2 Simic Signet
2 Shielding Plax
2 Runed Stalactite
1 Oblivion Ring

// 9 Total

// Spells

2 Path to Exile
3 Ponder
4 Muddle the Mixture
2 Think Twice
2 Gaea's Blessing

// 13 Total

// Land

2 Seaside Citadel
4 Terramorphic Expanse
9 Island
7 Plains
1 Forest

// 23 Total

//// 67 Total

Tap Changeling to make Seeker a Merfolk, tap Seeker to untap itself, gain 1 life from Judge of Currents, repeat for an arbitrary number. Eventually find a Processor or the Sovereign and win.

The worst card in the deck by far is Tidewater Minion, but removing it feels bad because it's the redundancy for Seeker.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

BizarroAzrael posted:

Mizzium Mortars is the only efficient answer to BBoV, that is, once he's on the board, which is why he's so drat good. Celestial Flare is especially good against him, since he's usually alone in attacking. Far // Away is a good answer. If you are casting just Far -- if he had mutavaults out or something -- it is a non-black spell, and can therefore target BBoV (this would be good right before thoughtseize or lifebane zombie). If you cast both halves of Far // Away, then it can no longer target him, although, you want your opponent to sac BBoV, so I don't know why you would do that.
I actually much prefer Far // Away to Devour Flesh in Esper Control. Worst case, you pay an extra mana for essentially no upside. Most of the time though, you get to deal with two creatures.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.
Okay, I was trying to run Murder horse, but was just not successful at all over the weekend. I lost all my games. I am running 5 swamps and 3 Purphoros, but somehow managed to always have 4 Swamps on the field and never drawing a Purphoros. I know card games are largely random but this just seemed unlikely. Is there a simple adjustment to make this deck work?

Murder Horse

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

-1 Keyrune, +1 Purphoros. He's a big part of the engine and if you're not seeing him, that's all you can do unless you trade something out for draw. If you start feeling you see two or three of him per game, go back down one or pop in Pack Rats to pitch extras. My Purphy generally gets D.Sphered so I'm glad to have more of him.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Deckit posted:

-1 Keyrune, +1 Purphoros. He's a big part of the engine and if you're not seeing him, that's all you can do unless you trade something out for draw. If you start feeling you see two or three of him per game, go back down one or pop in Pack Rats to pitch extras. My Purphy generally gets D.Sphered so I'm glad to have more of him.

Yea in 14 games I NEVER saw a Purphoros, so I guess that makes sense. Is there a quick side board for Red or White rush aggro decks? Should I just sub out Lightning Strike for Shock and find a way to work in a few Doomblades? It also didn't help that I lost all but one coin flip on Molten Birth...I was having a bad night.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

Never seeing a specific card happens. Getting all three or four of a specific card happens too. I've opened a game with one Tymaret in hand and promptly drawn the other three over the next three turns. A few standard seasons ago I played a genesis wave deck with 27 lands and drew three over the course of the game.

Random poo poo happens.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

YeehawMcKickass posted:

Never seeing a specific card happens. Getting all three or four of a specific card happens too. I've opened a game with one Tymaret in hand and promptly drawn the other three over the next three turns. A few standard seasons ago I played a genesis wave deck with 27 lands and drew three over the course of the game.

Random poo poo happens.

And normally I chalk stuff like that up to random luck, but not seeing a copy of a card in that many games when it is the key card in the deck kind of makes winning tough...so I have to make some kind of change.

There's nothing better than starting a game with 2 or 3 Dark Rituals in Legacy. "I will go ahead and play this 5 mana creature on turn 1, and promptly bash your face in."

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

I think I eventually decided that the right number of Purphoros was 3.5, which you can't do. Three feels better to me overall, but I usually run the Goats. Four is probably better in Horse.

As for your shock question, it's the most efficient burn spell available right now. Try to get some in there somewhere in your 75.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

YeehawMcKickass posted:

I think I eventually decided that the right number of Purphoros was 3.5, which you can't do. Three feels better to me overall, but I usually run the Goats. Four is probably better in Horse.

As for your shock question, it's the most efficient burn spell available right now. Try to get some in there somewhere in your 75.

Currently my only side board is 3 Doomblade...so I am sure I can toss a few Shocks in there. My local game shop is running a Buy 2 get 2 Free special on Commons ($.05) and Uncommons ($.15) until Jan 1 so I plan on going to stock up on whatever I can find useful.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
My LGS is running a Tcgplayer max points bronze standard event on the 11th, with a :20bux: entry fee. I think the prize structure is going to be basically limited to points, playmats, and invitations to the next bigger event, so I want to top 4 minimum. I know murderfarm is a big no on that, so I'm not running it. Maze's end fog is tempting, but I'm worried about devotion decks, so I'm looking at Rakdos aggro or mono-red aggro/devotion. Anyone have a good decklist for that?

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

kizudarake posted:

My LGS is running a Tcgplayer max points bronze standard event on the 11th, with a :20bux: entry fee. I think the prize structure is going to be basically limited to points, playmats, and invitations to the next bigger event, so I want to top 4 minimum. I know murderfarm is a big no on that, so I'm not running it. Maze's end fog is tempting, but I'm worried about devotion decks, so I'm looking at Rakdos aggro or mono-red aggro/devotion. Anyone have a good decklist for that?

This is apparently the Rakdos aggro list that won the GP

code:
Main Deck

4  Blood Crypt
8  Mountain
10  Swamp

4  Exava, Rakdos Blood Witch
4  Mogis’s Marauder
4  Rakdos Cackler
4  Rakdos Shred-Freak
4  Spike Jester
1  Thrill-Kill Assassin
4  Tormented Hero
3  Xathrid Necromancer

2  Doom Blade
4  Lightning Strike
4  Madcap Skills

Sideboard

2  Burning Earth
2  Dreadbore
2  Erebos, God of the Dead
2  Mizzium Mortars
1  Rakdos Guildgate
4  Thoughtseize
2  Whip of Erebos

Mexican Sandwich
Jan 1, 2013
As it stands, here is my BG deck, that started as a devotion deck, with cards to make up for the lack of Thoughtseizes and Hero's Downfalls, then splashed green to untap Desecration Demon and exile Gods, then spun out of control when I added in Experiment Ones because I felt it was too slow. As it stands now, my deck does worst against Esper Control and most decks with Red. Is there anyway to make this poo poo less janky?

I'm planning on starting over with a new deck, maybe going the way of UG Evolve.

Deck: Untitled Deck

//Main
1 Ultimate Price
2 Abrupt Decay
3 Doom Blade
2 Pharika's Cure
4 Nightveil Specter
2 Putrefy
2 Hero's Downfall
1 Whip of Erebos
3 Desecration Demon
1 Vraska the Unseen
4 Gray Merchant of Asphodel
2 Duress
2 Thoughtseize
3 Golgari Guildgate
1 Watery Grave
2 Temple of Deceit
4 Breeding Pool
10 Swamp
2 Overgrown Tomb
4 Experiment One
3 Pack Rat
2 Forest

//Sideboard
1 Whip of Erebos
1 Abrupt Decay
2 Fade into Antiquity
1 Pithing Needle
2 Pharika's Cure
3 Dark Betrayal
1 Mistcutter Hydra
1 Polukranos, World Eater
3 Golgari Charm

Display deck statistics

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Death Bot posted:

This is apparently the Rakdos aggro list that won the GP

code:
Main Deck

4  Blood Crypt
8  Mountain
10  Swamp

4  Exava, Rakdos Blood Witch
4  Mogis’s Marauder
4  Rakdos Cackler
4  Rakdos Shred-Freak
4  Spike Jester
1  Thrill-Kill Assassin
4  Tormented Hero
3  Xathrid Necromancer

2  Doom Blade
4  Lightning Strike
4  Madcap Skills

Sideboard

2  Burning Earth
2  Dreadbore
2  Erebos, God of the Dead
2  Mizzium Mortars
1  Rakdos Guildgate
4  Thoughtseize
2  Whip of Erebos

I run that list with -1 thrill kill, -2 exava, +1 necromancer, +2 doom blade. No burning earth and a full 4 dread bore in the side

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

OssiansFolly posted:

Okay, I was trying to run Murder horse, but was just not successful at all over the weekend. I lost all my games. I am running 5 swamps and 3 Purphoros, but somehow managed to always have 4 Swamps on the field and never drawing a Purphoros. I know card games are largely random but this just seemed unlikely. Is there a simple adjustment to make this deck work?

Murder Horse

I'll echo what others have said in that you should consider taking out the 4th Keyrune for a 4th Purphoros. I'd also wonder about having both Gnawing Zombie AND Frostburn Weird in the deck, as they both fulfill the same purpose. Maybe take out the Weirds (depending on your meta) and replace them with Doom Blade/Dreadbore?

Lastly, as this is a more control-oriented version, it may be worth running Trading Post over Akroan Horse. Post would allow you to get some card advantage via your Keyrunes late game, and plays into you wanted to grind the game out. Nothing stopping you from leaving the Horses in the sideboard when facing aggro, though.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Deific Presence posted:

I'll try to hang out with him this weekend and get the list down.

Hey is there any chance you got this? No big deal if you didn't, I know it's the holidays and all.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Happy Holidays everyone! I hope your last few days were not full of poo poo and you got loot from people you loved. Now onto cardboard crack. :unsmigghh:

I assembled a Maze's end deck for fun and then went 3-0 against Red Deck Wins, Mono-U and Green Devotion/Stompy Creatures. Then went 0-3 against Black Devotion. So I've assembled a sideboard!

Deck: Amazing End

//Lands
2 Azorius Guildgate
2 Boros Guildgate
2 Dimir Guildgate
3 Forest
2 Golgari Guildgate
2 Gruul Guildgate
1 Island
2 Izzet Guildgate
4 Maze's End
2 Orzhov Guildgate
2 Rakdos Guildgate
2 Selesnya Guildgate
2 Simic Guildgate

//Spells
1 Assemble the Legion
1 Crackling Perimeter
1 Cyclonic Rift
2 Druid's Deliverance
4 Fog
4 Riot Control
2 Selesnya Charm
3 Sphinx's Revelation
4 Supreme Verdict
2 Ætherize

//Creatures
4 Gatecreeper Vine
4 Saruli Gatekeepers

//Sideboard
2 Selesnya Charm
3 Crackling Perimeter
4 Gainsay
2 Glare of Heresy
4 Detention Sphere

Display deck statistics

Deck is fun to play and does really well against creature based decks. Selesnya Charm is there for Gods and stopping Obzedat, Ghost Dad. I really, really need to get it off against Black Devotion, because not gaining life is a huge hamper. Detention sphere's and Crackling Perimeters against Control decks, Detention spheres against Mono Black and Control. Gainsay vs Esper.

Killing Red Deck Wins with Crackling Perimeter felt good. :unsmith:

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Try running minimum 3 slaughter games, and on T4, name Gary.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
With my Maze's End deck I actually ended up slotting in a few weird win conditions due to a few cards showing up late. I play a singleton each of Elspeth and Crackling Perimeter in the main, with Assemble the Legion and an Aetherling in side. I haven't really spent a lot of time building it past the original build, but Elspeth did plenty of work for me in a couple of games. Most people aren't playing enough of the different types of removal to deal with each of those, and you're resistant to Pithing Needle as well.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
I got to play a few rounds at a local lan gaming nerd store trying to organize some Magic gaming with MURDERGOATS, and I had a major takeaway: Holy balls, this deck needs a way to handle flying creatures.

Whether Stormbreath Dragon forcing me to hope for a Dreadbore topdeck (because I still don't have enough Doom Blades to field them) or Aggro decks with Ajani, Caller of the Pride giving Flying and Double Strike to some suped-up creature is something the deck really can't handle as-is.

One card I've been looking at to address it is Beckon Apparition. Instant-speed token (with flying!!!) that also triggers Young Pyromancer. it also gets some swings in over blockers in a standoff, plus removing cards in a graveyard might have a use if those Golgari decks become more prevalent.

Another takeaway is that Pack Rats have not been super-helpful, nor have the Lightning Strikes; they either kill stuff that 3 damage is overkill on or is too big to care. Ever since I got my second Hero's Downfall I'd be considering just going forward with those; it might just be the perfect time to do so.

Here's the new list, as I envision it:

4x Akroan Horse
3x Gnawing Zombie
4x Purphoros
4x Tymaret, the Murder King
4x Young Pyromancer

2x Beckon Apparition
2x Hero's Downfall
4x Doom Blade

4x Dreadbore
4x Molten Birth

2x Trading Post

4x Blood Crypt
2x Rakdos Guildgate
9x Mountain
8x Swamp

bhsman fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Dec 27, 2013

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
I use Gift of Orzhova for flyers; thrown on Tymaret it stops Nightveils from attacking, which when it's relevant is very useful, and the lifelink on shocks helps deal with early damage. I play the control version, though, so I have more kill spells than you probably do as well. An instant speed 1/1 flier for B looks useful, and it's got some edge-case utility on top of that (I'd imagine it more for Whip than for golgari) but I don't think it's enough to make me want to cut removal for it. Horse builds could probably use it to great effect, though.

Also, for all the murdergoats players out there, if you don't have a one-of Master of Cruelties you should find a way to include him. Leads to some great blowouts and people are often way too reluctant to attack into a first-strike deathtoucher, giving you time to draw answers.

I've also stopped using Dark Prophecy in favour of Underworld Connections. I wanted so badly for that card to work but it just can't pull as much weight as Connections does.

I'm also experimenting with a singleton Codex Shredder in the board for control matchups. With Post, it lets you take anything back from the yard again and again, and early on you can self-mill for a Tymaret if you really have no other options. Not terrifically impressed yet, but I did once get to recur a countered Rakdos's Return and it felt loving incredible. Time will tell, and if it's good I'll make sure to inform the thread. If there's hidden tech out there for this deck, I will find it.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
EDIT: Double post

bhsman fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Dec 27, 2013

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

a dozen swans posted:

I use Gift of Orzhova for flyers; thrown on Tymaret it stops Nightveils from attacking, which when it's relevant is very useful, and the lifelink on shocks helps deal with early damage. I play the control version, though, so I have more kill spells than you probably do as well. An instant speed 1/1 flier for B looks useful, and it's got some edge-case utility on top of that (I'd imagine it more for Whip than for golgari) but I don't think it's enough to make me want to cut removal for it. Horse builds could probably use it to great effect, though.

I didn't cut removal for Beckon; I cut Pack Rat.

quote:

Also, for all the murdergoats players out there, if you don't have a one-of Master of Cruelties you should find a way to include him. Leads to some great blowouts and people are often way too reluctant to attack into a first-strike deathtoucher, giving you time to draw answers.

Eh, I'm not so sure about a 5cc card in this deck that isn't Rakdos's Return for 3+. I'd just rather Vampire Nighthawk be reprinted, but that's me. :(

quote:

I've also stopped using Dark Prophecy in favour of Underworld Connections. I wanted so badly for that card to work but it just can't pull as much weight as Connections does.

Connections seems like a decent card, though part of me has liked the Scry 2 aspect of Magma Jet (despite it's underwhelming damage) enough to keep Read the Bones in my Maybeboard.

quote:

I'm also experimenting with a singleton Codex Shredder in the board for control matchups. With Post, it lets you take anything back from the yard again and again, and early on you can self-mill for a Tymaret if you really have no other options. Not terrifically impressed yet, but I did once get to recur a countered Rakdos's Return and it felt loving incredible. Time will tell, and if it's good I'll make sure to inform the thread. If there's hidden tech out there for this deck, I will find it.

Codex Shredder seems like some decent tech, I'll have to dig for a copy to try out.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Death Bot posted:

With my Maze's End deck I actually ended up slotting in a few weird win conditions due to a few cards showing up late. I play a singleton each of Elspeth and Crackling Perimeter in the main, with Assemble the Legion and an Aetherling in side. I haven't really spent a lot of time building it past the original build, but Elspeth did plenty of work for me in a couple of games. Most people aren't playing enough of the different types of removal to deal with each of those, and you're resistant to Pithing Needle as well.

Elspeth and assemble are good alt win cons for the same reason as Aetherling isn't in this deck:

You don't have many wipes, so you'll struggle to race them when you run out of fogs, whereas Elspeth and assemble are your defense till you can overwhelm the opponent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

mehall posted:

Elspeth and assemble are good alt win cons for the same reason as Aetherling isn't in this deck:

You don't have many wipes, so you'll struggle to race them when you run out of fogs, whereas Elspeth and assemble are your defense till you can overwhelm the opponent.

Aetherling only ever comes in against control, as my shop seems to have an obsession with playing Superfriends Control or some variant of. I've had plenty of games where I've just sided out all of my fogs except for Riot Control for the lifegain (and to force a counterspell that much more) for as many win conditions and copies of Slaughter Games as possible.

I'm sure there's a better card but it's what's available :shrug:

• Locked thread