Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

TheReverend posted:

Some significant money is coming my way.

About a years salary of money ( via inheritance :( )

My house needs a new roof. It currently is working (not leaking) but the shingles are old, etc.

My questions is, should I go ahead and get a new roof? Should I keep the money in a savings account and make trivial interest and hope I win the homeowners insurance hail damage lottery?

Right now I'm leaning towards "put it off as long as possible".

I think you would need to tell us your current finance situation: savings, income, monthly expenses, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

TheReverend posted:

My house needs a new roof. It currently is working (not leaking) but the shingles are old, etc.

My questions is, should I go ahead and get a new roof? Should I keep the money in a savings account and make trivial interest and hope I win the homeowners insurance hail damage lottery?

If it just needs shingles and minor repairs, I would not put it off. Things like that have a way of cascading into worse issues if neglected. That's just me.

Kinfolk Jones
Oct 31, 2010

Faaaaaaaaast
Just finished paying off my student loans! With the job I got at the beginning of the year, I've managed to put all 25k of that behind me. Not sure what my next step would be.

27 years old
Current Salary: 70k per year
16k in cash on hand, earning 2% APY in a checking account
All credit card balances payed in full every month
10k car loan with 1.99% interest (2012 Ford Focus Titanium, worth roughly 16-17k)
Rent/Utilities/Gas payed for, $51 per diem
5k in a 401k started this year, contributing 6% (50% employer match). No other investments.

I've been thinking about selling the car since I only use it when I travel home. Would save me on the car payment and insurance for awhile. At some point I'd like to buy a more interesting car anyway, so the difference in cash could be put towards that. Should I be upping my savings rate in the 401k? Maybe start looking at investing in mutual funds? Any other suggestions?

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Kinfolk Jones posted:

Just finished paying off my student loans! With the job I got at the beginning of the year, I've managed to put all 25k of that behind me. Not sure what my next step would be.

27 years old
Current Salary: 70k per year
16k in cash on hand, earning 2% APY in a checking account
All credit card balances payed in full every month
10k car loan with 1.99% interest (2012 Ford Focus Titanium, worth roughly 16-17k)
Rent/Utilities/Gas payed for, $51 per diem
5k in a 401k started this year, contributing 6% (50% employer match). No other investments.

I've been thinking about selling the car since I only use it when I travel home. Would save me on the car payment and insurance for awhile. At some point I'd like to buy a more interesting car anyway, so the difference in cash could be put towards that. Should I be upping my savings rate in the 401k? Maybe start looking at investing in mutual funds? Any other suggestions?
You want to save 15%+ of gross income. How I would do it is put 5.5k into a Roth and ~7% into 401k, for the total min of 15% toward retirement.

I would then pay off your car loan. And maintain a 3-6mo emergency fund, which you're solidly building. With your car loan being at a lower interest rate than your liquid savings, I'd say aggressively pay it off but I wouldn't use the emergency fund for that purpose. But do treat your car loan like any other non-house debt and get it gone.

Nice job on the 25k of loans this year, that's fantastic. Good work!

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
I wouldn't bother paying off the car loan. If you're going to sell it, just sell it. Do a contribution to a Roth IRA since your income is above the phase out I believe for IRA deductibility. You could probably up the 401k as well if you want/can.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

TheReverend posted:

There's no way to be able to say without knowing your situation. If you have:

5k savings
0 retirement
5k credit card loans
10k car loan
45k a year income

You're going to have different priorities than:

15k savings
100k 401k, 50k IRA
0 credit car loans
0 car loan
80k a year income

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
Is there a generally recommended iOS app for tracking finances? I used Mint for a while but got tired of the ads and lackluster mobile feature set. I don't mind paying for an app or entering transactions manually. The features I'm most interested in are budget tracking and robust trends/stats. Any recommendations?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

TheReverend posted:

If you have the discipline to not spend the money, put it off as long as possible. Who knows, you might get a dream job offer in another state or surprise triplets and need to move.

Even if you live there long term, delaying the roof now (as long as it is functional) means the next roof needs to be replaced later as well.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

terre packet posted:

Is there a generally recommended iOS app for tracking finances? I used Mint for a while but got tired of the ads and lackluster mobile feature set. I don't mind paying for an app or entering transactions manually. The features I'm most interested in are budget tracking and robust trends/stats. Any recommendations?

YNAB is the best one out there - but you need the desktop app too if you plan to use the iOS app.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007

Mad Wack posted:

YNAB is the best one out there - but you need the desktop app too if you plan to use the iOS app.

That won't work for me then, I've got an iPad & iPhone & that's it.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

terre packet posted:

That won't work for me then, I've got an iPad & iPhone & that's it.
Borrow a computer for one hour a month to set your budget. YNAB rocks, as does it's mobile interface.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007

SiGmA_X posted:

Borrow a computer for one hour a month to set your budget. YNAB rocks, as does it's mobile interface.

Wow, that good! I'll check it out then. :)

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

:siren: The YNAB Phone app is like $3 but YNAB itself is $60. :siren:

YNAB isn't the hammer to fix every budget nail with, people.

The YNAB app is NOT GOOD for BUDGETING. It's good for entering transactions, and that is basically it. You can check your budget balances but it's not at all a robust app. I wouldn't recommend it as a standalone or nearly-standalone app. It's basically just good for entering transactions to YNAB on the fly, and then getting the whole picture on my desktop.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

terre packet posted:

Personal Capital isn't as good as Mint for budgeting, but it does track transactions and trends, and has no ads.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

Does anyone know of a good free basic budget android app where I can just put in income, expenses and transactions? I don't want to deal with putting also in what's in my accounts since I'm drawing money mostly from one source and I've pretty much always lived within my means.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Me in Reverse posted:

:siren: The YNAB Phone app is like $3 but YNAB itself is $60. :siren:

YNAB isn't the hammer to fix every budget nail with, people.

The YNAB app is NOT GOOD for BUDGETING. It's good for entering transactions, and that is basically it. You can check your budget balances but it's not at all a robust app. I wouldn't recommend it as a standalone or nearly-standalone app. It's basically just good for entering transactions to YNAB on the fly, and then getting the whole picture on my desktop.
The phone app is free. And it's only good for seeing where your spending is compared to your budget, and for entering transactions. Then use the computer to set/adjust budget etc.

I still use quicken, too, and I don't use either mobile app. But YNAB has worked far better *for me* than any previous budget software that I've used.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

It used to cost money, IIRC. Glad it's free now, considering it requires the paid desktop app.

I agree that YNAB itself is a fantastic tool for budgeting, but the guy above can only use a mobile app. In that scenario, the YNAB App isn't going to do the job. You literally suggested he "borrow a computer once a month".

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
There will eventually be a fully featured iPad app for YNAB that's equivalent to the desktop app, but I think they're developing it on Valve time.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I always liked PocketSmith too, I think their forecasting is fantastic

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

TheReverend posted:

I think the Dave Ramsey baby steps make a lot of sense here. If you have no savings at all, if you are living paycheck to paycheck, set the first $1000 aside for an emergency fund. If you have any consumer debt at all, student loans, credit cards, car loans, pay those off next. After that make sure your emergency fund is fully funded, 3 to 6 months. If you have an old house you might want to go on the heavier side of things. Anything after that put into retirement. You can fund a Roth IRA for 2013 and in a few weeks fund 2014. If there is anything after that you can pay down your mortgage.

I also don't think you would be out of line to spend a part of it on something nice for you as long as you don't go crazy and giving a portion of it away in membory of your deceased relative to a cause they would have supported.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
:siren: The Steam sale has started and YNAB is once again 50% off until January 2nd. :siren:

Who knows if it'll get any cheaper. It has been, I bought it for 75% off in July so maybe wait and see.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Me in Reverse posted:

It used to cost money, IIRC. Glad it's free now, considering it requires the paid desktop app.

I agree that YNAB itself is a fantastic tool for budgeting, but the guy above can only use a mobile app. In that scenario, the YNAB App isn't going to do the job. You literally suggested he "borrow a computer once a month".
I only update my budget once a month, but input transactions frequently. Different things work for different people and you may have to work with your own situation eg not having a computer. YNAB is the best iOS tool out, afaik.

A full featured iPad app will be fantastic.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
I've gotten my first "real" job out of college and they want me to apply for a corporate credit card. I have decent credit so far (750 on creditkarma, for what it's worth) and I'm wary of doing anything that will gently caress it up. My average account age is only 4.x years, which is only a C rating, and I'm worried that adding myself onto the corporate card will drop my average age by a good amount, as I only have 12 accounts total. It'll also be a recent inquiry, but that doesn't matter as much to me as it will fall off soon enough. My question is: how will the corp. card affect my score? Will it be a big negative impact on my age of accounts? Will it being a corp card make it somehow less weighty on my overall score? I don't know what else to ask, other that "what will this thing do to me?"

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.

Iced Cocoa posted:

Does anyone know of a good free basic budget android app where I can just put in income, expenses and transactions? I don't want to deal with putting also in what's in my accounts since I'm drawing money mostly from one source and I've pretty much always lived within my means.

Expense Manager
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=at.markushi.expensemanager

Initio
Oct 29, 2007
!

Richard M Nixon posted:

I've gotten my first "real" job out of college and they want me to apply for a corporate credit card. I have decent credit so far (750 on creditkarma, for what it's worth) and I'm wary of doing anything that will gently caress it up. My average account age is only 4.x years, which is only a C rating, and I'm worried that adding myself onto the corporate card will drop my average age by a good amount, as I only have 12 accounts total. It'll also be a recent inquiry, but that doesn't matter as much to me as it will fall off soon enough. My question is: how will the corp. card affect my score? Will it be a big negative impact on my age of accounts? Will it being a corp card make it somehow less weighty on my overall score? I don't know what else to ask, other that "what will this thing do to me?"

Don't sweat it. If you need the card for your job, get the card. Just pay it off every month like you do for every other card, and your credit score will take care of itself like it says in the OP.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Richard M Nixon posted:

It won't even have any real affect on your credit score, maybe minus 1-3 points. Average account age is a low factor and you can have a credit score upwards of 790-800+ with an average account age like yours.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I am really, really lovely with impulse spending. I would like to get some way to limit my spending to an allowance in such a way that I have to do something out of the ordinary to go beyond that limit, so it resonates with me better. Right now I am considering getting a prepaid debit card, but I'm wary of them because they generally cost money every month to use. I definitely need my allowance to be able to be spent on the internet though.

So what's a good way to handle this problem? Criteria:

1- I want to be outright denied, not overdrafted, when I go over budget
2- Must be able to be spent on the internet
3- Preferably not cost me extra money

Should I just eat the 5 bucks a month or whatever it would cost me to get a prepaid mastercard/visa or is there a better way? I have tried just setting a budget for myself but I inevitably go through this up and down cycle of spending a lot in a month or 2, then spending almost nothing for a month or 2 because I have to get back to zero.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

signalnoise posted:

Should I just eat the 5 bucks a month or whatever it would cost me to get a prepaid mastercard/visa or is there a better way?

Pennies and pounds, forests and trees, several old saws come to mind. I don't know why you wouldn't spend $5/mo if it's really the solution to your problem. You might be able to set up a separate checking account with a visa debit card type arrangement that will cut you off when you reach zero, too - I'm not sure what the rules on that are these days.

Why do you think you won't just drag out your current credit card when the new one runs out of money? I bet you even have the number memorized.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

slap me silly posted:

Pennies and pounds, forests and trees, several old saws come to mind. I don't know why you wouldn't spend $5/mo if it's really the solution to your problem. You might be able to set up a separate checking account with a visa debit card type arrangement that will cut you off when you reach zero, too - I'm not sure what the rules on that are these days.

Why do you think you won't just drag out your current credit card when the new one runs out of money? I bet you even have the number memorized.

It's easier to spend 100 dollars when you know you have 1000 in the bank, or when your limit is several thousand in credit. With a prepaid card, when looking at the Mint app on my phone, it would say I have 350 to spend, and that's my limit, instead of say 1350 and thinking "yeah but I'll pay that back." I want to experience someone telling me my card was declined so it feels bad when I have to borrow from another account, for some classical conditioning.

Also at this point also I'm willing to just throw stuff to the wall and see if it sticks.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

If you've got truly addictive behavior going on, as soon as you trample a boundary you've set yourself a couple of times that bad feeling will wear off and you'll just be back where you started with a slightly more complicated system. It's great you're fighting a bad habit, but in my experience setting up mousetrap-like prevention mechanisms doesn't work for long, if anything it's reinforcing your acceptance that you are too weak to restrain yourself and offloading the responsibility for your behavior to external forces. In conditioning terms, normal consequences so far have been too far removed to "condition" you to learn impulse control. The second your brain spots that a card rejection isn't the end of the world, especially online, in fact has very little consequence and only requires some shuffling of money, kiss that fragile barrier protecting you from yourself goodbye.

Any new system might work while it's new and interesting to you, so use that time to work on your own thinking and appreciating what not impulse-spending is gaining you, how good it feels to be the person you want to be. Sooner or later instead of playing Spy vs. Spy with yourself you have to become what you want to be, someone who gets that life is just as good without spending binges.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
Another option would be that he could drop the internet only and do cash. I grab about $200 twice a month in cash for all of my expenses from gas to food and everything else is automatically debited from credit cards to student loans.

I don't know what the hangup is with having to buy things on the internet, but this helped my impulse control immensely.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Remy Marathe posted:

If you've got truly addictive behavior going on, as soon as you trample a boundary you've set yourself a couple of times that bad feeling will wear off and you'll just be back where you started with a slightly more complicated system. It's great you're fighting a bad habit, but in my experience setting up mousetrap-like prevention mechanisms doesn't work for long, if anything it's reinforcing your acceptance that you are too weak to restrain yourself and offloading the responsibility for your behavior to external forces. In conditioning terms, normal consequences so far have been too far removed to "condition" you to learn impulse control. The second your brain spots that a card rejection isn't the end of the world, especially online, in fact has very little consequence and only requires some shuffling of money, kiss that fragile barrier protecting you from yourself goodbye.

Any new system might work while it's new and interesting to you, so use that time to work on your own thinking and appreciating what not impulse-spending is gaining you, how good it feels to be the person you want to be. Sooner or later instead of playing Spy vs. Spy with yourself you have to become what you want to be, someone who gets that life is just as good without spending binges.
Thanks for this, this is probably really what I need to hear

White Chocolate posted:

Another option would be that he could drop the internet only and do cash. I grab about $200 twice a month in cash for all of my expenses from gas to food and everything else is automatically debited from credit cards to student loans.

I don't know what the hangup is with having to buy things on the internet, but this helped my impulse control immensely.

I'm a heavy Amazon Prime user. Honestly I don't even leave the house much.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

signalnoise posted:

I was having this problem too. I started putting stuff on wishlists instead of just buying it. Then when I have a little extra money, like maybe I dropped 30 bucks of change into coinstar, I go buy something off the wishlist. Half the time when I go back to something on a wishlist I don't want it any more.

Kindle books and rental movies are a little different because they aren't exactly "stuff", but you can still back off on them by tackling it this way.

HooKars
Feb 22, 2006
Comeon!

signalnoise posted:

Thanks for this, this is probably really what I need to hear

You could use Amazon Payments and add funds through your checking account there?

I try to limit my Amazon spending to what I make off MTurk (survey taking site that links up to Amazon payments) or occasionally, my credit card rewards since I have an Amazon card. I won't buy something until my Amazon Payments account from taking surveys gets up to that amount and then it kind of feels free.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

signalnoise posted:

I am really, really lovely with impulse spending. I would like to get some way to limit my spending to an allowance in such a way that I have to do something out of the ordinary to go beyond that limit, so it resonates with me better. Right now I am considering getting a prepaid debit card, but I'm wary of them because they generally cost money every month to use. I definitely need my allowance to be able to be spent on the internet though.

So what's a good way to handle this problem? Criteria:

1- I want to be outright denied, not overdrafted, when I go over budget
2- Must be able to be spent on the internet
3- Preferably not cost me extra money

Should I just eat the 5 bucks a month or whatever it would cost me to get a prepaid mastercard/visa or is there a better way? I have tried just setting a budget for myself but I inevitably go through this up and down cycle of spending a lot in a month or 2, then spending almost nothing for a month or 2 because I have to get back to zero.
My credit union will do denial of transaction w my checking account debit card. No fees, etc. I'd check out a credit union and open another checking account.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

signalnoise posted:

You can buy Amazon gift cards at the supermarket. If most of your impulse spending is through Amazon, add the cash -> gift card step.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Both good ideas, thanks

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Looking to send money to a foreign country via xe.com

They will direct debit the funds from my account and deposit it to the foreign account through Draft or Wire.

Which one would be the cheapest, and best to go with? I assume Draft? But my google searches come up with no difference really? Basically I don't want any extra fees on the receiving bank.

lol internet. fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Dec 24, 2013

enthe0s
Oct 24, 2010

In another few hours, the sun will rise!

FCKGW posted:

I always liked PocketSmith too, I think their forecasting is fantastic

This looks cool, but only 2 accounts for the basic version? :(

Is it worth the $10 monthly? I've been getting annoyed at the Mint.com site incorrectly displaying my investments for almost a month now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Very basic credit card question. I have great credit and currently have two CC's with a 25k+ limit. I've always paid my balance in full but recently have been curious on how the interest rates work.

I have one card with a balance of $3,500 with a minimum payment of $25 due on January 8th, 2014. My APR is 15.24%. If I paid the minimum $25 by January 8th, 2014, I will be charged a rate of 15.24% for the remaining balance on my credit, correct?

Also, if I pay off $2,000 of my $3,500 credit card balance by January 8th, 2014. Will I still be charged a rate of 15.24% on the remaining $1,500? On my previous credit card there was something about not being charged an interest rate on any remaining balance if paid an X amount compared to the balance or something along the lines of that.

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Dec 26, 2013