Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
It looks sarcastic to me, like they're making fun of the people who feel that way. Of course, I could be totally wrong about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madoushi
May 9, 2003

Some days, you just get up on the wrong side of the bed...

Taaaaaaarb! posted:

Saw this pop-up on my feed:
http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/erskineville-couple-make-asylumseeker-statement-with-christmas-island-lights-display-20131213-2zd63.html

Here's a pic of the crazy:

Has Australia always been like this or is this a recent phenomenon?

Fake Edit: just caught the update at the bottom saying they won the Christmas light competition in their neighbourhood :negative:

It's an obvious parody of Australia's actual asylum seeker policies:

If you come here by boat without a visa you won't be settled in Australia.
"We will decide who comes to this country and the circumstances in which they come"
Tony Abbott got elected mainly by promising to 'Stop the boats'.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Taaaaaaarb! posted:

Saw this pop-up on my feed:
http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/erskineville-couple-make-asylumseeker-statement-with-christmas-island-lights-display-20131213-2zd63.html

Here's a pic of the crazy:

Has Australia always been like this or is this a recent phenomenon?

Fake Edit: just caught the update at the bottom saying they won the Christmas light competition in their neighbourhood :negative:

Don't worry, it's a satire on Australia winning the really hard "How to be worse than the United States of America Award" in the immigration category. The fact that both the Liberal (right wing) and Labor parties support the acts makes living in Australia hell if treating refugees like people is an issue for you. Of course the Green party seemingly is the best but they're the greens so yeah.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Just to make sure folk don't make a well-intentioned mis-argument: St Nicholas of Myra may not be "white" in any modern sense, but don't make the mistake of describing him as "Tukish". Nicholas lived around 300 AD, when the ethnic - linguis group we 'd now call Turks was wandering around the China-Afghanistan-Uzbekistsn region practicing shamanism. They weren't dragged into global affairs until the Muslim conquest hit them , and didn't set up shop in even the fringes of modern Turkey until around 1000 AD. So a guy in Myra in 300 AD is no more Turkish than an Aztec in 800 AD is "Hispanic."

So yeah, "not white" is fine, but don't open yourself up for an easy dickpunch by even mentioning Turkey.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

Yes. And according to a a forensic anthropologist's reconstruction of his bones in 2005 he most likely looked like this:

See: http://www.stnicholascenter.org/pages/real-face/

They forgot the widows peak that refused to die. But yeah, that looks like the dude in the glass at my old church.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Just to make sure folk don't make a well-intentioned mis-argument: St Nicholas of Myra may not be "white" in any modern sense, but don't make the mistake of describing him as "Tukish". Nicholas lived around 300 AD, when the ethnic - linguis group we 'd now call Turks was wandering around the China-Afghanistan-Uzbekistsn region practicing shamanism. They weren't dragged into global affairs until the Muslim conquest hit them , and didn't set up shop in even the fringes of modern Turkey until around 1000 AD. So a guy in Myra in 300 AD is no more Turkish than an Aztec in 800 AD is "Hispanic."

So yeah, "not white" is fine, but don't open yourself up for an easy dickpunch by even mentioning Turkey.

Santa is Asian, end of story. :colbert:

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/chi-cracker-barrel-duck-dynasty-20131222,0,748635.story

quote:

“Dear Cracker Barrel Customer:

When we made the decision to remove and evaluate certain Duck Dynasty items, we offended many of our loyal customers. Our intent was to avoid offending, but that’s just what we’ve done.

You told us we made a mistake. And, you weren’t shy about it. You wrote, you called and you took to social media to express your thoughts and feelings. You flat out told us we were wrong.

We listened.

Today, we are putting all our Duck Dynasty products back in our stores.

And, we apologize for offending you.

We respect all individuals right to express their beliefs. We certainly did not mean to have anyone think different.

We sincerely hope you will continue to be part of our Cracker Barrel family.”

I haven't encountered this on Facebook or elsewhere in the wild yet, but man is it funny.

Jervas Dudley
Feb 18, 2007

Bro and Maplehoof: Go beyond the impossible!
:kamina:

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

Santa is Asian, end of story. :colbert:

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

So what would be the more appropriate race? Moorish?

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

Fulchrum posted:

Greek, most likely.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe

VideoTapir posted:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/chi-cracker-barrel-duck-dynasty-20131222,0,748635.story

I haven't encountered this on Facebook or elsewhere in the wild yet, but man is it funny.

Well, cracker barrel already offended most sane people who were paying attention with the abhorrent hiring & labor practices they were convicted of a couple years back. At this point all they have is old people and conservative rednecks. So, yeah I don't know why they pulled them in the first place since anyone going there won't be offended by what he said, anyway.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Anubis posted:

Well, cracker barrel already offended most sane people who were paying attention with the abhorrent hiring & labor practices they were convicted of a couple years back. At this point all they have is old people and conservative rednecks. So, yeah I don't know why they pulled them in the first place since anyone going there won't be offended by what he said, anyway.

How much you wanna bet they never pulled anything, they just decided to post that to get people all fervor'd up to shop at Cracker Barrel like what happened with Chick Fil'a?

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

Fulchrum posted:

Absolutely not. "Moors" is a blanket term originally used for all Muslims who participated in the conquest of Iberia, which included every cultural group from Mali to Morocco to Syria. It's now sometimes used generically to refer to all Muslim Africans, which means it is and always has been just a bit racist.

RaspberryCommie posted:

Greek, most likely.

Yeah, he lived in the Byzantine Empire and was definitely Greek.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Cappadocian is the word you are looking for. I've also heard "reya" or something to that effect (I've tried googling but it is part of my hearing vocabulary not my reading vocabulary) as it refers to Greeks in Turkey before they . . . uhhh, decided to sort that poo poo out. Since that portion is anachronistic, "Cappadocian" is probably your best bet when it comes to St. Nick. But since St. Nick is Orthodox, the latter application can become important too.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I think it's a bad argument to take up any way. Defining his race isn't really solving the problem that Santa Claus is a fictional character (I'm aware Saint Nicholas is not, but Santa Claus is a mix of a bunch of different legends) and therefore a non white Santa isn't really wrong.

Saint Nicholas also predates the modern concept of race so I think there's some disingenuous labeling there, too.

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Dec 23, 2013

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If all folk festival characters are products of syncretism or amalgamation, can't Christmas just have Santa Muerte instead. At least then the skin color isn't an issue :v:

Or goat demons. Not enough festivals with goat demons nowadays.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

LtStorm posted:

Absolutely not. "Moors" is a blanket term originally used for all Muslims who participated in the conquest of Iberia, which included every cultural group from Mali to Morocco to Syria. It's now sometimes used generically to refer to all Muslim Africans, which means it is and always has been just a bit racist.

I'm sorry, it's "moops."

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/duck-dynasty-fans-sending-ridiculous-205757182.html

It's like an article full of quotes from "Eastbound and Down".

quote:

The gay community gets “offended” when they are criticized for their behavior, sinful or not. Let me tell you what offends me: If you're a lesbian, great. As a matter of fact, tell me all about it, I'll probably get turned on. But if you’re a guy, please don't tell me you're gay. Keep your trap shut. Because the thought of two men screwing each other in the a#$ quite frankly makes me want to vomit. Beyond that, I could care less what your sexual preferences are. But I do not go around wearing a "Pu@#y Eaters Pride" t-shirt!

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Of course, I'm sure that guy never mentions his wife or girlfriend in casual conversation right? :rolleyes:

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

I don't hate gays, I just want them to never speak or do anything or exist.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VitalSigns posted:

Of course, I'm sure that guy never mentions his wife or girlfriend in casual conversation right? :rolleyes:

quote:

Gay is a lifestyle. Period. No rights, no privileges. I think they should all pitch in and buy an island and get out of our faces. Good luck with reproducing. And give back the rainbow, its not theirs. On the black issue, there are millions of upstanding, hard working black people who don't expect things to be handed to them. This is America and you can make it for yourself or you can just sit around and bitch because you think you're owed something. Im talking about white and blacks and illegal who are lazy and that's how they will stay. What is sad is there are people who support them and tell them they are right. NAACP for sure. Its organizations like that, in my opinion who keep the racism game alive.

hahahahahahahahhahahaha. It's a loving gold mine.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

duffmensch posted:

Where did you find this? I'd love to post it for some of the "it wasn't so bad as everyone says!!" crowd.
Got it from here. As someone else said, seems like a low count to me, but even these loving numbers: 462 "officially counted" lynchings in Mississippi over about 50 years (1882-1930) is just shy of 10 per year. And those are the official ones that UMass web page counts.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.

quote:

Reading the article you wrote on Phil, half way through I could tell a homosexual wrote it. Sure enough I was right. That tells me your not a good writer in that you couldn't write a fair and unbiased article without letting your dislike of Phil come through. But to be honest if I wrote an article on my own personal interactions that I have had with homosexuals in the course of business over the past couple years. I may of brought out how uncomfortable I feel around them and the way they act and would rather lose a million dollars than have my company do business with them, so I can relate to Phil. Hope you don't mind me giving my thoughts on your article.

Read this in Kenny Powers' voice.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Swan Oat posted:

Read this in Kenny Powers' voice.

This and the other quotes sound exactly like the kind of thing you'd hear from Danny McBride's radio program in GTA V.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
All of the GTA right wing political radio is pretty spot-on and it's equally entertaining as it is horrifying.

e: entertaining and horrifying as in "holy poo poo they loving nailed it on the head 100% and it's indistinguishable from the Real Thing (tm)"

Phone fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Dec 24, 2013

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Phone posted:

All of the GTA right wing political radio is pretty spot-on and it's equally entertaining as it is horrifying.

It's actually almost boring in how well it apes Alex Jones and Fox News. I think people who aren't really into that stuff would listen to it, and think "lol these people are nuts." For people like us that are dumb enough to follow all that bullshit though, it doesn't actually sound too much different.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Phone posted:

Richard Bastion is the most dead-on parody of Sean Hannity I've ever heard in my life.

I have to wonder how much Sudekis studied him, because goddamned he has him pegged.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
I keep seeing conservative friends on facebook crying about offedned liberals over this Duck Dynasty poo poo while my liberal friends have just been posting fun party pics and haven't said a word about it.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Just tell them that A&E decided by virtue of the free market it was best not to keep him around.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

RagnarokAngel posted:

Just tell them that A&E decided by virtue of the free market it was best not to keep him around.

That's why I don't get it, they always talk about how the market will regulate itself that is why we don't need the government to step in. Here we have a business that decided that keeping a racist person was not in their best financial interest so they suspended him on their own, the right/libertarians should be overjoyed to have an example of this actually happening.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

socialsecurity posted:

That's why I don't get it, they always talk about how the market will regulate itself that is why we don't need the government to step in. Here we have a business that decided that keeping a racist person was not in their best financial interest so they suspended him on their own, the right/libertarians should be overjoyed to have an example of this actually happening.

Well clearly in a truly unregulated market everyone would be racist as all hell, so the view that racism is bad has been forced by the government on the consumers, thus manipulating the market.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Usually their belief in the free market goes only so far as their own beliefs when they perceive them to be the majority. My father is one of those "I shouldn't have to press 1 for English!!!" types. When I pointed out that that only exists because companies want to extend their product or service to a wide enough audience as financially viable, and primarily Spanish speakers are now a big enough group in the US that this is true, he suddenly talks about "the principle" of how this is an English speaking nation.

Most people who tout the "I shouldn't have to press 1 for English" line believe everyone is as fed up with it as they are. When they realize this isn't true, they revert to "The principle" instead. Basically anything that makes their opinion objectively correct.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

RagnarokAngel posted:

Didn't they end up reversing their decision, though? :smith:

Really, I'm kind of disappointed the media didn't focus nearly as much on his comments on Southern Segregation (not that I'm at all implying his comments on gays weren't deserving of just as much scorn, but putting a focus on both would've really pushed him into a corner).

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Regalingualius posted:

Cant find any new reports saying so. The most recent ones as of a few hours ago still talk as if he's been let go.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Regalingualius posted:

The next season has already been shot. No way they were going to just throw out the footage they already have. MAYBE edit him down a bit, I have no idea how big a part of the show he plays. If the editing is already done then this probably won't happen either, its expensive and the big advantage of reality TV is that it costs almost nothing to make.

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

In Zion I was meant to be
'Doze the homes
Block the sea
With this great ship at my command
I'll plunder all the Promised Land!

Regalingualius posted:

I think you are thinking of Cracker Barrel. I believe they said they were going to pull Duck Dynasty merchandise, and then came out later to say they were reversing because of customer complaints.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Capt. Sticl posted:

I think you are thinking of Cracker Barrel. I believe they said they were going to pull Duck Dynasty merchandise, and then came out later to say they were reversing because of customer complaints.

Oh. Huh, for whatever reason, I'd gotten the idea that A&E had quietly reinstated him. At least this is an instance where I'm totally fine with being wrong.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

RagnarokAngel posted:

Most people who tout the "I shouldn't have to press 1 for English" line believe everyone is as fed up with it as they are. When they realize this isn't true, they revert to "The principle" instead. Basically anything that makes their opinion objectively correct.
I keep running into the same idea with political correctness; people are foursquare against the thought police telling them homosexuality is OK and not to call them faggots, but as soon as I call them homophobic retards they're whining about how mean I am.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

RagnarokAngel posted:

Usually their belief in the free market goes only so far as their own beliefs when they perceive them to be the majority. My father is one of those "I shouldn't have to press 1 for English!!!" types. When I pointed out that that only exists because companies want to extend their product or service to a wide enough audience as financially viable, and primarily Spanish speakers are now a big enough group in the US that this is true, he suddenly talks about "the principle" of how this is an English speaking nation.

I've never had to press 1 for English, I've always heard an English menu then "para espanol oprima dos."

Regalingualius posted:

Really, I'm kind of disappointed the media didn't focus nearly as much on his comments on Southern Segregation (not that I'm at all implying his comments on gays weren't deserving of just as much scorn, but putting a focus on both would've really pushed him into a corner).

Yeah that has been really bugging me! If his ignorant comments about race and religion were more well-known, he'd have a lot less public support. I have to think people (especially the media) aren't bringing it up and focusing on the anti-gay stuff so that they can have an excuse to defend it based on "religious beliefs".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Regalingualius posted:

Oh. Huh, for whatever reason, I'd gotten the idea that A&E had quietly reinstated him. At least this is an instance where I'm totally fine with being wrong.

I don't think it's happened yet, but I'm pretty sure it will eventually. Once people forget about it.