Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet

The Tao Jones posted:

Walt's a pretty good liar (ie the poo poo he can come up with on the fly sounds, at the least, plausible) but more than that, he is a committed liar. Committed as all hell. He can look you dead in the eye and feed you a line of utter bullshit and never think twice about it. Which means that even though Skyler et al. can tell he's full of poo poo, they can never quite prove it. Which is why it was so uncomfortable when she called the cops on Walt. Skyler knew Walt was dangerous. Walt knew Walt was dangerous. The whole drat audience knew Walt was dangerous. But there was nothing she could really point to and say, "See, he's a menace!"
Or she could have told the cops that Walt was a drug dealer right then and there. Wait, she was protecting the family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

Yeah, my timeline about who knew what and when gets muddled. Been a while since I watched last. I still think my point stands, though.

E: Walt's "fugue state" might have been a better example.

Cosmik Slop fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Dec 12, 2013

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

Devout Christian posted:

Or she could have told the cops that Walt was a drug dealer right then and there. Wait, she was protecting the family.

The big mistake of every character that comes across Walt is they all think of him as pre-season 1 Walter. Meek, quiet, easy to manage. They all think they can sort of just quietly manage the situation and it'll all go away. Skylar thinks this, Gus thinks this, the only person who figures out what needs to be done is Mike but he gets put in terrible positions where he never really has the freedom to just put a bullet in his head (except that last scene near the river where he finally has that option and doesnt do it).

Skylar is thinking she can manage Walter in this scene, just like she always has. 'Oh he has cancer and the problem will take care of itself. He's just a cook. He would never do anything to risk the safety of his children, he loves them too much. I can threaten to go to the cops and that will keep him out of the house. It's fine. It's just Walt.'

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'
What have you got in there? Cinder blocks?
Half a million in cash.

:D good one, Walt.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

passionate dongs posted:

What have you got in there? Cinder blocks?
Half a million in cash.

:D good one, Walt.

That's it buddy, keep your spirits up!

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
"Methylene blue" is vital to mental teleportation in Alfred Bester's classic novel 'The Stars My Destination'. I swear this means something.

Vince Gilligan seems like a bit of a sci-Fi fan.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Devout Christian posted:

I don't think she had any proof at that point, why would they have believed her at all?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Count Chocula posted:

"Methylene blue" is vital to mental teleportation in Alfred Bester's classic novel 'The Stars My Destination'. I swear this means something.

Vince Gilligan seems like a bit of a sci-Fi fan.

Well methylene blue is a pretty common stain for microscopy, and has been used as a drug for all sorts of diseases at various times, that would be where Bester got the name. Dont really see the connection, other than being blue and starting with meth-

Max
Nov 30, 2002

hiddenmovement posted:

The big mistake of every character that comes across Walt is they all think of him as pre-season 1 Walter. Meek, quiet, easy to manage. They all think they can sort of just quietly manage the situation and it'll all go away. Skylar thinks this, Gus thinks this, the only person who figures out what needs to be done is Mike but he gets put in terrible positions where he never really has the freedom to just put a bullet in his head (except that last scene near the river where he finally has that option and doesnt do it).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Mike was finally in a position to possibly do it but Walt had already taken the gun out of the bag, which meant that he wouldn't have been able to actually kill Walt even if he wanted to.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Mike should have just shot Walt instead of tying him to a radiator.

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes
Mike didn't like killing people. He only did it when it was absolutely necessary in the face of his own destruction. Mike was ready to kill Walt several times when he was about to be taken down through something Walt did. Walt was always able to talk his way out of it though. Mike could've killed him next to the creek, but it wouldn't have solved anything. Mike just wanted out at that point.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick
I'm re-watching this show, again, and every time I do, I find new things to be amused by. I've watched the first 3 seasons 6 or 7 times, but it's still as good as the first time, especially because I haven't seen it in over a year. I remember having the discussion after season 3 that there was no way they could top Half and Full Measures. Boy, in retrospect, I was so wrong. I can name five episodes off the top of my head better than Half Measures: Ozymandias, Crawl Space, Face Off, Confessions, and Dead Freight. And that is just off the top of my head.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I've also seen the first 3-4 seasons about 4 or 5 times each, with the various people I've shoved the show down the throats of. I'm definitely going to give it at least a year until I have my own very first entire-series all-in-one-go binge.

I'll probably wait until I've just watched the fourth season of Homeland or something just to have that as a contrast. Wait, no. I'll re-watch the last two Dexter seasons first :v:

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Half Measures gets topped later, but I think it still remains the episode where the show officially transforms from "one of the best shows currently on TV" to "one of the best shows ever made."

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Half Measures gets topped later, but I think it still remains the episode where the show officially transforms from "one of the best shows currently on TV" to "one of the best shows ever made."

Mike's speech in that episode wasn't that great. It's been done countless times from TV show/movie cops.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Mike's whole character is a walking cliche, but it's the delivery that puts him above the rest.

My favourite ominous Mike line:

"Something's Gotta Be Done."

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

Exploder posted:

I can name five episodes off the top of my head better than Half Measures: Ozymandias, Crawl Space, Face Off, Confessions, and Dead Freight. And that is just off the top of my head.

No matter how jaded, judgmental, detached, or critical I feel, I will still get chills from the end of "Crawl Space". They staged that scene to absolute, stomach-churning perfection. "IT'S HAPPENING AGAIN!"

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Nothing will top the bedroom scene in "Fifty-One" for me. Not even just for the end line, but for literally everything leading up to it. The camera work, the lighting, Walt loving stalking Skyler around like prey, the fact that you can tell there's a part of him that's enjoying this raw display of power over his wife, Skyler going from "I thought you were the danger" to "I DON'T KNOW!" in a matter of minutes, just... that loving scene.

And then at the end we get "Coming to bed? :)" which in my opinion is even more horrifying and gut-wrenching than "We're a family!"

God, what an amazing show.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Devout Christian posted:

Mike's speech in that episode wasn't that great. It's been done countless times from TV show/movie cops.

Sure it's been done before, but I'm racking my brain trying to think of someone who delivered that speech better than Jonathan Banks, and I can't find it. Cactus has it right, there have been many "Mikes" in various forms of fiction, but Mike is the best.

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Oh absolutely. That's why I find it amusing that I thought "they can't possibly top this" at the time. I had no idea. That was the episode that set the bar for the rest of the series, and turned it into something completely different.

The Tao Jones posted:

No matter how jaded, judgmental, detached, or critical I feel, I will still get chills from the end of "Crawl Space". They staged that scene to absolute, stomach-churning perfection. "IT'S HAPPENING AGAIN!"

I got the chills from you simply mentioning that scene. I need to continue my re-watch as fast as possible just so I can get to that scene.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.
I was re-watching the scene where Hank dies. I noticed that when he tries to get to the gun from his hiding space behind the car, he's crawling the exact same way the Creepy Cousins do in that Mexican town to get to the prayer shrine. It's really the little things in this show that shine.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Exploder posted:

I'm re-watching this show, again, and every time I do, I find new things to be amused by. I've watched the first 3 seasons 6 or 7 times, but it's still as good as the first time, especially because I haven't seen it in over a year. I remember having the discussion after season 3 that there was no way they could top Half and Full Measures. Boy, in retrospect, I was so wrong. I can name five episodes off the top of my head better than Half Measures: Ozymandias, Crawl Space, Face Off, Confessions, and Dead Freight. And that is just off the top of my head.

Ozymandias will remain the absolute pinnacle of the series, in my mind. After killing Hank right at the beginning, I seriously thought no one was safe. Like, I was absolutely ready for them to kill Jesse right there and then before Todd stepped in.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Max posted:

Ozymandias will remain the absolute pinnacle of the series, in my mind. After killing Hank right at the beginning, I seriously thought no one was safe. Like, I was absolutely ready for them to kill Jesse right there and then before Todd stepped in.

I thought Jesse was dead, I thought Walt Jr. was gonna kill himself, I thought Skyler was gonna get killed, I thought Baby Holly might die...

It was so effective. I had it spoiled for me that Walt died at the end of the show, but nothing else, so once Hank died all bets were off.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Exploder posted:

My favourite episode is still Grilled (when they're kidnapped out to Tuco's shack). The way they amped up the tension in that episode was loving amazing.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

I don't think half and full measures get topped until season 5b, the endings to both of them are just so perfectly acted and directed. I'm not actually that huge a fan of season 4 (relative to seasons 1, 3 and 5b).

EDIT:

Rewatching season 4 now, and in 4.3 Skylar is talking about how 'The devil is in the details, one little slipup, one mistake in our story is all it could take to ruin us.'

hiddenmovement fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Dec 22, 2013

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

hiddenmovement posted:

I don't think half and full measures get topped until season 5b, the endings to both of them are just so perfectly acted and directed. I'm not actually that huge a fan of season 4 (relative to seasons 1, 3 and 5b).
I'm curious why. I love the series as a whole and I think "Ozymandias" is the show's best episode, but "Bug" to "Face Off" might be the greatest run of episodes in TV history.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
So I just got done watching all of Breaking Bad, after everyone I know went nuts about the finale and told me to try it.

Two main points:

1) 'Ozymandias' and 'Granite State' were easily the two most unpleasant things I've ever seen on a screen. I sort of mean that in a positive sense.

2) 'Full Measure' is the first time that something I've watched has a) made my hands literally sweat and b) made me have to stop the playback and go do something else for awhile, because it was too intense.

What an incredible show.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Barry Foster posted:

2) 'Full Measure' is the first time that something I've watched has a) made my hands literally sweat and b) made me have to stop the playback and go do something else for awhile, because it was too intense.

What an incredible show.

The end of Half Measures is one of those "where were you on 9/11" kind of things for me. I literally :tviv:'ed for the first time ever. I stood up, yelled "holy poo poo" and pumped my fist. After that, I just sat there catatonic for about 10 minutes. Sure enough, I :tviv:'ed again the next week.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Exploder posted:

The end of Half Measures is one of those "where were you on 9/11" kind of things for me. I literally :tviv:'ed for the first time ever. I stood up, yelled "holy poo poo" and pumped my fist. After that, I just sat there catatonic for about 10 minutes. Sure enough, I :tviv:'ed again the next week.

I can't even imagine what it would've been like 'live'.

I just went straight ahead and watched the next episode, because gently caress real life, nothing's more important than seeing how Walt gets out of that one.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
This rules

fake edit: The ending of Full Measures is by far my favorite scene in the entire series, and this is a show with (just off the top of my head) the ending of Half Measures, the bedroom scene in Fifty-One, and "Season 5b, the whole thing".

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

WampaLord posted:

It was so effective. I had it spoiled for me that Walt died at the end of the show, but nothing else, so once Hank died all bets were off.

I think what will keep Breaking Bad's legacy is that while the ending will get spoiled for future viewers ("Walt dies at the end")- it's not detrimental to the show where it takes away enjoyment.

While the endings for Half Measures, Full Measures are great, I'm still partial to Crawl Space. :stare:

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Crawl Space gives me loving chills every time - that pull back shot is amazing. I fully believe that Breaking Bad is pretty much spoiler proof because every turn is so perfectly executed. I got spoiled on Hank dying early on and when I got there it was still a huge gut punch and gently caress yeah moment rolled into one.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Red Crown posted:

Guys, I found a plot hole: Why would Hank have gone all the way to Walt and Skyler's bedroom bathroom to take a dump? He passed the hall bathroom, a clearly more convenient and non-creepy option.

Would Hank give up the chance to use the master throne on the sly? Hell no. Everyone else was on the deck, so Hank had carte blanche to crunch the grumpiest grumpy that was ever crunched, straight into the holiest porcelain totem the White house contained.

If you have archives you can read my post on the subject from the 5.09 thread. I don't have archives, but I think this will point you in the right direction:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3563797&userid=72414

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Crawl Space is the first time a tv show made me feel physically ill. For a while I called it the darkest hour of television. Then Ozymandias happened.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme posted:

Mike didn't like killing people. He only did it when it was absolutely necessary in the face of his own destruction. Mike was ready to kill Walt several times when he was about to be taken down through something Walt did. Walt was always able to talk his way out of it though. Mike could've killed him next to the creek, but it wouldn't have solved anything. Mike just wanted out at that point.

Jesse would have killed him.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
So I finished Breaking Bad. Very good series, of course.

I think it peaked at Season 4, though. I think season 5 had good bits sprinkled throughout, and it didn't make me like the series less retroactively but I would've been okay with the series ending at Face Off wondering if Jesse would find out what Walt had done or not.

I don't know what I would have done differently though.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Anatharon posted:

So I finished Breaking Bad. Very good series, of course.

I think it peaked at Season 4, though. I think season 5 had good bits sprinkled throughout, and it didn't make me like the series less retroactively but I would've been okay with the series ending at Face Off wondering if Jesse would find out what Walt had done or not.

I don't know what I would have done differently though.
If it wasn't for the fact that I wouldn't be able to stand Jesse not getting to escape, I would be one of the people saying the series should have ended after Ozymandias.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women

Dangerous Person posted:

Crawl Space is the first time a tv show made me feel physically ill. For a while I called it the darkest hour of television. Then Ozymandias happened.

It was the only time I had a physical reaction to television. It was dizzying and bizarre. I doubt I'll get that feeling again.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Friendly Factory posted:

It was the only time I had a physical reaction to television. It was dizzying and bizarre. I doubt I'll get that feeling again.
AMC's running a marathon of the entire series now and Crawl Space just aired like 2 episodes ago. It gave me chills yet again, and I've seen that episode at least 4 or 5 times before.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

AMC's running a marathon of the entire series now and Crawl Space just aired like 2 episodes ago. It gave me chills yet again, and I've seen that episode at least 4 or 5 times before.

The laughter at the end and the framing of that shot is quite unnerving, yeah. They hit it out of the park on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Timeless Appeal posted:

I'm curious why. I love the series as a whole and I think "Ozymandias" is the show's best episode, but "Bug" to "Face Off" might be the greatest run of episodes in TV history.

I find season 4s ending a little weak and stretched at times, Walters efforts to manipulate Jessie into giving up information on Gus's movements felt a touch contrived and the death scene in Face Off was a little too cartoony. On top of that, the thing I enjoy most in Breaking Bad is watching the development of Walt, and for much of season 4 he's pretty reactive and doesn't have many major moral lines to cross. Also the car wash plotline, while very important to the structure and direction of the show, isn't exactly the wild ride thrill ride that is meth cookery or Walt lies to Skylar.

Now these aren't MAJOR criticisms in what I still think is a very good season of an excellent show, but just relatively speaking I enjoy seasons 1, 3 and 5b more. I still don't get how people don't like season 1 very much, Walter is at his most interesting when he's genuinely conflicted, season 5a Walter is almost a stock villain from a bad action film.

• Locked thread