Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Is there any way to quickly get more seals short of leveling a bunch or spending money? I already did the campaigns and all of the feasable achievements and I'm still 400 short of the championship deck.

On another note, melee guard is probably the most underestimated ability in the game at low ranks. I'm at eight wins in a row almost solely off the back of Praetorian Guards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

The Shortest Path posted:

Is there any way to quickly get more seals short of leveling a bunch or spending money? I already did the campaigns and all of the feasable achievements and I'm still 400 short of the championship deck.

On another note, melee guard is probably the most underestimated ability in the game at low ranks. I'm at eight wins in a row almost solely off the back of Praetorian Guards.

Achievements are the only source of stuff outside of cashing in weeklies or leveling up.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

You get 100 every level, with some levels giving 500 (35 and 50, I think.)

Sanctuary is annoying in many ways. Giant 2/2/6 guys that give 2 income, stupid little guys that give 1 income. Giant things with 8 health, other things with regeneration. Hate them all. Oh yeah, and Wolf Captains.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Tae posted:

Achievements are the only source of stuff outside of cashing in weeklies or leveling up.

That's what I was afraid of. Ah well, I can grind out four more levels with the couple exp boosts I have, I suppose.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

thylacine posted:

Sanctuary is annoying in many ways. Giant 2/2/6 guys that give 2 income, stupid little guys that give 1 income. Giant things with 8 health, other things with regeneration. Hate them all. Oh yeah, and Wolf Captains.

Uh, that's Haven not Sanctuary.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

thylacine posted:

You get 10 times level in Seals every 10 levels from 10 to 50, and an extra 10k gold at the midpoints (15, 25 etc). There's also 250 Seals for completing all the friend achievements. Apart from that Seals are only awarded for hard to get achievements, like building a deck solely from Premium Base Set cards and getting one of every card in the Base Set. As I'm only halfway through the former and at 222/224 on the latter I won't recommend them.

(That said, my last two cards are both Inferno Heroes so completing the set will give me 1000 Seals, 75k gold, a Reinforcement Pack and three Small Packs - quite the tidy haul.)

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"
For the F2P player (which is not me), it seems like this game really does give you a chance. Given that this is a CCG, that's pretty amazing.

For example, if you start, and get about level 8 (which may take about a dozen hours?), you'll have enough seals to purchase a deck that literally won the World Championships. That's pretty generous if you think about it.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Play ranked, gain levels, get seals.

thylacine posted:

That's Haven (Knights), not Sanctuary (samurai and Japanese mythology), also not to be confused with Stronghold (nomadic barbarians).

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
I'm almost 1000 rating but my deck is complete junk, do I stop or cross the final hurdle??

http://tools.mmdocking.com/decks/show/2193

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

THE PWNER posted:

I'm almost 1000 rating but my deck is complete junk, do I stop or cross the final hurdle??

http://tools.mmdocking.com/decks/show/2193

There's almost no difference in the matches you get from 850-1000 and 1001-1100.

If you're someone who tanks back to 500, then yeah, your matches will get harder. You also get 50k for breaking 1k rating.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
I just had the most frustrating string of losses against 1200 ELO players who spent the whole game vomiting 5-8 creatures onto the board against Adar Malik like they'd never even heard of Forbidden Flame.

I don't care if it worked STOP PLAYING THE GAME WRONG :argh:

Is there any use for tournament tickets besides Swiss? The Five Towers set just seems really awful now that I've got Tower of the Gardener, is there any reason to hold onto tickets instead?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Tickets are only used for swiss tournaments. The main reason to get 5 towers is that it gives 2-3 wildcards and you want to crack Rising of the Moon because that card is way too good.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Avasculous posted:

The Five Towers set just seems really awful now that I've got Tower of the Gardener, is there any reason to hold onto tickets instead?

Some may disagree, but I also feel that all the buildings are good. All the unique buildings are auto-include for the respective faction except Sanctuary and Tower of the Smith. However, if you run a Sanct/Inferno deck with cards that use higher Destiny, those buildings are auto-include as well.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Welp somehow this game has chipped away the armor of my psyche and managed to get me to spend $50 on that champion's pack, the upside is that I have a decently solid Ishuma deck going on, and I somehow managed to beat my first 1500+ ELO player. Feels good.

Still awful with the deck though, I'm trying to scramble my way out of the 1000s but I keep on dropping easy combos.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

jetz0r posted:

There's almost no difference in the matches you get from 850-1000 and 1001-1100.

If you're someone who tanks back to 500, then yeah, your matches will get harder. You also get 50k for breaking 1k rating.

I've only got something like 120 games played so who knows if I tank. I've pretty much been steadily rising this whole time. So many horror stories about 1k+ is all.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I just love that feeling when I see my opponent do something really stupid 2-3 times and I know at that point I've already won the game. Yes, please do keep dropping your creatures into lanes where they can easily be killed by my creatures, thank you!

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

THE PWNER posted:

I've only got something like 120 games played so who knows if I tank. I've pretty much been steadily rising this whole time. So many horror stories about 1k+ is all.

I think all the horror stories are from people who average around 900 ELO but the soft cap keeps them from going back down so they hit people way out of their league all the time

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

I've played 4 Swisses today. I won 2 of them, but the other 2, it was pretty embarrassing. I essentially lost a game to modified starter decks.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Dahbadu posted:

Some may disagree, but I also feel that all the buildings are good. All the unique buildings are auto-include for the respective faction except Sanctuary and Tower of the Smith. However, if you run a Sanct/Inferno deck with cards that use higher Destiny, those buildings are auto-include as well.

Hidden dojo sucks

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

WYA posted:

Hidden dojo sucks

I think it's playable-to-good in many decks, and I think in a Takana deck it's a great card.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Avasculous posted:

I just had the most frustrating string of losses against 1200 ELO players who spent the whole game vomiting 5-8 creatures onto the board against Adar Malik like they'd never even heard of Forbidden Flame.

I don't care if it worked STOP PLAYING THE GAME WRONG :argh:

Is there any use for tournament tickets besides Swiss? The Five Towers set just seems really awful now that I've got Tower of the Gardener, is there any reason to hold onto tickets instead?

They'll probably switch the reward to the newest expansion whenever that comes out if you want to hold on to them, but you average 4-5 per week. Also if you win you get a premium pack which is pretty awesome. There are also a few good cards for each faction in the current expansion. They mentioned they want 4 per year, and the newest -just- came out, so if you want to hold its a good 4 months out. I find Swiss a lot more fun, but the down time between matches you need something on another monitor, I have no idea what I'd do if I had to just sit around waiting for 10 minutes if I finished quickly.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Dahbadu posted:

I've played 4 Swisses today. I won 2 of them, but the other 2, it was pretty embarrassing. I essentially lost a game to modified starter decks.

Won 3 swisses today with a meta Kelthor without any Pao's and replaced them with Blackskull Crusher. That card is so destructive against a lot of decks.

One swiss I won was against a Puppetmaster Ignatious deck, it took about 20 turns to win because all he did was pass and put blockers because 99% of his deck was useless against the Crusher.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I also have Blackskull Crushers in my Kelthor because I don't have enough vultures yet, card is very :black101:

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Blackskull crusher has saved me many times, although I only have one—it's funny seeing someone look at their spells like "oh yeah gonna zap/burn/death seal that guy and... nothing.

Is there a Stronghold creature with fortune ward?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

thylacine posted:

Blackskull crusher has saved me many times, although I only have one—it's funny seeing someone look at their spells like "oh yeah gonna zap/burn/death seal that guy and... nothing.

Only Fortune Ward creatures are both Sanctuary.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Of course I get a Forgotten Wars box and pull two Anaels but no Crusader Treasurers. Of course that is something that would happen.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

thylacine posted:

No. Only two creatures in the game come with fortune ward, both for Sanctuary. You can give all of your creatures fortune ward using Strength of the Sea, but there has yet to be Stronghold hero who can use water magic.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

jetz0r posted:

Between 10001-1100 you play people 4300+ higher than you. There is a difference.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Q: What do you banish with Revised Tactics? The card seems great but my own estimation is that you want to kick out low-cost cards that you don't want beyond your first turn, situational cards like Monsoon that might not be of any use in a particular game, and...?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Darth Windu posted:

Q: What do you banish with Revised Tactics? The card seems great but my own estimation is that you want to kick out low-cost cards that you don't want beyond your first turn, situational cards like Monsoon that might not be of any use in a particular game, and...?

Completely dependent on the deck, what you're facing, and the situation at hand.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

thylacine posted:

Between 10001-1100 you play people 4300+ higher than you. There is a difference.

In the 1400s I've faced 900 players way more than I would like.
But I do have to grind through a lot more 1000-1100 players than 900s. And I have to keep about a 12-1 record against them to break even on points. Which is loving hard through good/bad hand variance.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Well I'm getting a handle on this Ishuma deck, I'm at the point now where I don't think I've lost against someone who's less than 1100 ELO. This deck is way better for grinding out gold and experience because playing games actually requires thought beyond just shoving Juggernauts between holes in their line.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Tae posted:

Completely dependent on the deck, what you're facing, and the situation at hand.

That isn't very helpful! Can you give some examples, at least?

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Control Volume posted:

I think all the horror stories are from people who average around 900 ELO but the soft cap keeps them from going back down so they hit people way out of their league all the time

This is exactly my situation and it suuuucks. I took some bad advice on how to start my account, so now I'm stuck with a mediocre Arianna (5/4/0, but 49/50 cards are playable on 4/4/0) Midrange aggro deck that's good enough to stomp all over the 500-800 crowd but loses badly to the 1001+ players. Now I'm just grinding gold on rated games and Jackpot tournaments (where I struggle to hit Tier 5) so I can buy enough Void Rising packs to unlock the set in the Altar of Wishes. Once I do that I can start putting together an Ishuma deck, with which I can break into 1001+ and Swiss tournaments to accelerate my collection and start building other real decks. For now though, all I can do is take a fall back to 501 once I hit 900 if I'm going to move past this deck before February.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Darth Windu posted:

That isn't very helpful! Can you give some examples, at least?

Uh, the most common examples would be a Cassandra fortune deck.

If it's the first turn, remove all the Tithe Collectors in the deck because they are not useful past the 1st turn.

If it's past turn 5, I want to remove any remaining Tithes, and then River of Gems because Resource Acceleration loses their effectiveness.

If there's an Earth Grasp on the field, I'm removing any Paos in the deck. If there's a Fortune Ward creature, the Bridges are out.

It's a very reactive card, but basically take out any card you don't want to see for the rest of the game. If you do have cards that are still useful for that game, take out the one you want to least draw within the next 3-4 turns.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Tae posted:

Uh, the most common examples would be a Cassandra fortune deck.

If it's the first turn, remove all the Tithe Collectors in the deck because they are not useful past the 1st turn.

If it's past turn 5, I want to remove any remaining Tithes, and then River of Gems because Resource Acceleration loses their effectiveness.

If there's an Earth Grasp on the field, I'm removing any Paos in the deck. If there's a Fortune Ward creature, the Bridges are out.

It's a very reactive card, but basically take out any card you don't want to see for the rest of the game. If you do have cards that are still useful for that game, take out the one you want to least draw within the next 3-4 turns.

Thank you! This is far more helpful, and confirms what I thought about it. Sorry, I'm not particularly good at or experienced with CCGs, and I was just making sure my instincts were correct. Although the River of Gems one I hadn't thought of - an extra 2 resources seems useful at any point.

I played a bit of Magic when I was young (we mostly made up our own rules) and some of the Emperor Edition L5R. Neither captured my attention for long and, beyond a couple of draft tournaments, I didn't spend much of my own money on L5R (my parents bought Magic stuff for me). This game is amazing compared to both of them - much deeper than Magic and more streamlined compared to L5R. (That reminds me, I wish this game had drafts - that was some of the most fun I had with a card game)

After my disappointment with the 5T box I went ahead and got myself a Christmas present - 100 bucks worth of seals. Bought another 5T box and popped 3 Treasurers, exactly what my Sandalphon deck needed. Took first in the next two Swisses I played. This game is so fun. I'm gonna save my last 1900 seals for any sort of sale they have during Christmas, I think.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Tae posted:

Won 3 swisses today.

Nice! :)

So I'm guessing you didn't lose to decks that were essentially a modified starter like me? Honestly, I think it's cool that I lost to some newbie decks. It shows the game is pretty balanced.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
So I'm looking through the list of Heroes today and I realized there are no Heroes that can use Air and Darkness magic, or Water and Prime magic. On the other hand, the Air/Water combination is the most common, with three (Sandalphon, Academy Akane, and Yukiko.)

Water/Prime would likely be pretty good though.

Other thing I noticed: if you check the Heroes that can use three spell schools, every magic is represented three times, with the exception of Earth (twice) and Prime (four).

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Dec 25, 2013

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

ApplesandOranges posted:

So I'm looking through the list of Heroes today and I realized there are no Heroes that can use Air and Darkness magic, or Water and Prime magic. On the other hand, the Air/Water combination is the most common, with three (Sandalphon, Academy Akane, and Yukiko.)

Water/Prime would likely be pretty good though.

Air and Darkness might be just too much removal to deal with. Water and Prime might be interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Dahbadu posted:

Nice! :)

So I'm guessing you didn't lose to decks that were essentially a modified starter like me? Honestly, I think it's cool that I lost to some newbie decks. It shows the game is pretty balanced.

Well I only played in 3 swiss, but like I mentioned I faced a lot of decks that were stonewalled by Blackskull Crusher. I'm sure I would've lost a game to a Necro deck if I didn't have them being immune to Wither, Soul Reaver, and Insect Swarm. A couple close games though against rush which I would've lost with the wrong top deck.

The best deserved victory was against a Crag Hack I stalled out that started with two Dark Assassins on turn 2 and I didn't draw a single Firebolt the whole game. Really didn't miss Pao that much, and probably would've lost in some cases because they don't develop the board.

• Locked thread