Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Spectacle Rock posted:

Goons, I require your assistance.

I have decided I really really want to get a Wii-U. Smash Bros and Mario Kart 8 are going to come eventually and I have to have those.

Which bundle should I get? I already have the following gear:
A Nintendo Wii with a couple of Wii-Remotes and a Wii-Motion Plus Adaptor.
A copy of NintendoLand I was able to buy for $15.

What's the cheapest and best deal for me? Note that as much as I love Zelda, the Wind Waker HD Bundle doesn't do it for me. I don't like the Zelda art graphic they just stuck on the gamepad, AND, I still have a Gamecube and my original Wind Waker disc so I can play all the Wind Waker I want.

I'd be really happy if there was some way I could just get a Wii-U itself and maybe one game like a Mario title, or even no game at all and just wait until Smash Bros happens.

I don't know if it's still available, but there was a bundle that included New Super Mario Bros U and New Super Luigi U. If you're not interested in Zelda, that's a fantastic place to start and 3D World is out there as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:

Spectacle Rock posted:

Goons, I require your assistance.

I have decided I really really want to get a Wii-U. Smash Bros and Mario Kart 8 are going to come eventually and I have to have those.

Which bundle should I get? I already have the following gear:
A Nintendo Wii with a couple of Wii-Remotes and a Wii-Motion Plus Adaptor.
A copy of NintendoLand I was able to buy for $15.

What's the cheapest and best deal for me? Note that as much as I love Zelda, the Wind Waker HD Bundle doesn't do it for me. I don't like the Zelda art graphic they just stuck on the gamepad, AND, I still have a Gamecube and my original Wind Waker disc so I can play all the Wind Waker I want.

I'd be really happy if there was some way I could just get a Wii-U itself and maybe one game like a Mario title, or even no game at all and just wait until Smash Bros happens.
Best Buy - you get a $25 gift card if you buy the Mario/Luigi bundle and Zombi U or Just Dance 2014. If you do that there's also a deal that should stack where if you spend $100 you get a $15 BB gift card so it'd be Mario/Luigi Wii U+Zombi U or Just Dance+$40 in gift cards.

The $15 gift card thing should stack on the 20% off eShop cards sale that's going on too unless there's some hidden exemption language that I'm not seeing :mario:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Man Cub posted:

If it makes you feel any better, psn has been making GBS threads itself since Christmas Eve as well.

Yeah, I got my PS4 for Christmas and it took me 2 hours of trying to log into the PSN in order to complete the initial setup. It wasn't until around midnight yesterday that it actually stabilized for me.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Endorph posted:

Top 10 Zelda Characters:

10. Malo
9. The spider dude from Ocarina of Time
8. Linebeck
7. That dude in Majora's Mask who just stands glaring at the moon during the final day, like he's going to punch it back into orbit all by himself
6. Purple Link
5. That Goron from Ocarina of Time who calls you brother
4. Groose
3. Tetra (Not Zelda)
2. The King from CD-I Zelda
1. Error

I'm assuming one of those names is a code word for "Tingle."

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Does 3D World have a lot of post game content like 3D Land did? I'm loving every second of this game but I don't wanna get through it too quickly. Not including co-op I've played for maybe 4-5 hours and I'm on World 6 with all the green stars/stamps/gold flagpoles so far and I'd be a little bummed out if there wasn't much to do after World 8.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
There are 3 postgame worlds and a super-difficult level (a la Grandmaster Galaxy) if you collect absolutely everything.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Help Im Alive posted:

Does 3D World have a lot of post game content like 3D Land did? I'm loving every second of this game but I don't wanna get through it too quickly. Not including co-op I've played for maybe 4-5 hours and I'm on World 6 with all the green stars/stamps/gold flagpoles so far and I'd be a little bummed out if there wasn't much to do after World 8.

I'm only on world 6, but I noticed some unfamiliar level and world names on the Miiverse so most likely.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Okay that's cool, thanks guys

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Help Im Alive posted:

Not quite as much as 3D Land, I think, but there's still a lot, over 30 bonus levels total.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Is the sensor bar connected to a regular Wii always "on"? I got a WiiU for Christmas, but I'd like to keep my original Wii hooked up, but I don't want to have two sensor bars under my tv.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

OldSenileGuy posted:

Is the sensor bar connected to a regular Wii always "on"? I got a WiiU for Christmas, but I'd like to keep my original Wii hooked up, but I don't want to have two sensor bars under my tv.

You could turn your Wii on when you need it for Wii U. Or you could buy one of those wireless sensor bars.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

elf help book posted:

You could turn your Wii on when you need it for Wii U. Or you could buy one of those wireless sensor bars.

The wireless one is your best choice in this case. Remember that the "sensor" bar doesn't actually sense anything; it's just two infrared lights. So by using a wireless sensor bar, it can work just as effectively for both systems.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

OldSenileGuy posted:

I'd say just use the Wii U when you want to play Wii games to avoid this. The only reason to keep the Wii is for Gamecube games if you don't have an old Gamecube. The Wii U runs Wii games great.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

hubris.height posted:

I'd say just use the Wii U when you want to play Wii games to avoid this. The only reason to keep the Wii is for Gamecube games if you don't have an old Gamecube. The Wii U runs Wii games great.

Exactly. GC access is the only advantage of the Wii.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm guessing you either use the Wii for GameCube or home-brew then? I can't think of any reason to have both hooked up.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

I'm pretty sure you can keep the sensor bar plugged into either console and it'll work with both regardless of which one is turned on and being used. I think I had that set up going for a bit

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
The only advantage I had on my old Wii was that I ripped all my games to an external drive and had save files on the system. Is it possible to "unhack" the Wii and transfer the save files over? Don't care about the external if it means I can have them all on the WiiU now.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Louisgod posted:

The only advantage I had on my old Wii was that I ripped all my games to an external drive and had save files on the system. Is it possible to "unhack" the Wii and transfer the save files over? Don't care about the external if it means I can have them all on the WiiU now.

I just used the system transfer app on my soft modded wii. It left all the soft mod stuff alone and moved all the purchased content and saves with no questions asked.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Vegastar posted:

I just used the system transfer app on my soft modded wii. It left all the soft mod stuff alone and moved all the purchased content and saves with no questions asked.

Same. I hacked my Wii just to play a PAL version of Xenoblade. It's the only reason I still own it. I delayed the transfer worried it would notice it was hacked but instead it just didn't take those files.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

Playing through SM3DW today after getting it for Xmas. Man, this game is a poo poo ton of fun and the music is great. I'm only at world 3 and that Boo Mansion is rad as hell.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Random Stranger posted:

The wireless one is your best choice in this case. Remember that the "sensor" bar doesn't actually sense anything; it's just two infrared lights. So by using a wireless sensor bar, it can work just as effectively for both systems.

Pretty sure the Wii bar works for the Wii u, just plug it into the back.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

bushisms.txt posted:

Pretty sure the Wii bar works for the Wii u, just plug it into the back.

It does, but then you have to turn the Wii U on to use the Wii. The wireless sensor bar runs on batteries, so it'll work for both without turning on a system you aren't using or moving it between the two.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Yaoi Mandel posted:

stupid bullshit Christmas fuckers.

Edit - wrong thread. I just liked this quote.

Haptical Sales Slut fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Dec 26, 2013

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Did anyone play Castlestorm on Steam or anywhere else it was released? I think it's getting released today on Wii U and was thinking about picking it up and was wondering how it was.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Saw AngryC complaing about this on the MiiVerse, so he can put this in the OP.

If you want to turn off the gamepad when using another controller, walk the gamepad out of range and press the power button. It won't turn off the system, and you save your batteries.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

bushisms.txt posted:

Saw AngryC complaing about this on the MiiVerse, so he can put this in the OP.

If you want to turn off the gamepad when using another controller, walk the gamepad out of range and press the power button. It won't turn off the system, and you save your batteries.

It's not completely turning it off, but you can also go to the Controller Settings in the Home Menu to turn off the Gamepad screen. It's not completely turned off, but rather on standby, so it might not be exactly what you want.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

DarkHamsterlord posted:

It does, but then you have to turn the Wii U on to use the Wii.

pretty sure you don't

e: I mean maybe I'm misremembering but I'm like 90% sure when I had my wii and wii u hooked up at the same time I had one sensor bar plugged into the wii u and was able to use it for both systems without needing to turn the other on. just try it and prove me wrong ya dummies

e2: I'm not in a position to test this right now but I'm bumping it up to 99% sure, get at me fools

romanowski fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Dec 26, 2013

GRINK HELCH
Oct 24, 2004
My God, it's taking over america!
Is there a Wonderful 101 thread? Looked in OP and back a couple of pages, and didn't see it. Loving it so far (just got Wonder Pink) but I'm looking for tips and just curious what people are saying.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
There was one, maybe it's been archived.

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:

GRINK HELCH posted:

Is there a Wonderful 101 thread? Looked in OP and back a couple of pages, and didn't see it. Loving it so far (just got Wonder Pink) but I'm looking for tips and just curious what people are saying.
Here ya go

GRINK HELCH
Oct 24, 2004
My God, it's taking over america!

Thanks. :)

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
I got a wiiu for christmas and I've got a couple questions.

1-Is the miiverse supposed to always be on? Like it's displaying on my tv and my gamepad is the wiiu menu. That's normal right?

2-The sensor bar I got with my system is not stable at all. The plug just falls out of the system sometimes and doesn't fit snuggly at all like the hdmi cable and the power cable. Again is this normal or did I get a poo poo sensor bar?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Fibby Boy posted:

I got a wiiu for christmas and I've got a couple questions.

1-Is the miiverse supposed to always be on? Like it's displaying on my tv and my gamepad is the wiiu menu. That's normal right?

2-The sensor bar I got with my system is not stable at all. The plug just falls out of the system sometimes and doesn't fit snuggly at all like the hdmi cable and the power cable. Again is this normal or did I get a poo poo sensor bar?

1: Thats normal. Hitting X or the button in the upper right on the touchscreen will swap them around. FYI, you can use the Wii Remote to click buttons on the TV.

2: No it shouldnt do that.

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

Well I got Arkham Origins and wow there are some serious frame rate issues. What a really bad port. :(

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

flare posted:

Well I got Arkham Origins and wow there are some serious frame rate issues. What a really bad port. :(

Human Head sure has a bright future :smith:

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Gutcruncher posted:

1: Thats normal. Hitting X or the button in the upper right on the touchscreen will swap them around. FYI, you can use the Wii Remote to click buttons on the TV.

2: No it shouldnt do that.

Fantastic. Guess I gotta go buy another sensor bar.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Fibby Boy posted:

Fantastic. Guess I gotta go buy another sensor bar.

If you owned a Wii at any point, you can reuse the sensor bar for that.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Oh yeah, since I have a Wii U now, is Final Fantasy IV: The After Years any good? Really, really like the original FFIV, and still replay it from time to time.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Orgophlax posted:

Oh yeah, since I have a Wii U now, is Final Fantasy IV: The After Years any good? Really, really like the original FFIV, and still replay it from time to time.

Nope!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

That's disappointing. :( Any particular reasons?

• Locked thread