Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Concerned Citizen posted:

It's hard to believe they WON'T rule. For one, if a Circuit Court rules same sex marriage legal, SCOTUS will have no choice but to intervene. They won't allow different parts of the country to exist under different federal law interpretations. (Previous rulings have been based on state law, not federal law. The exception to this is the prop 8 ruling, in which the court likely would have ruled except the folks defending the law did not have standing).

If the 10th denies that same-sex marriage is a constitutional right, then it becomes less likely. However, same sex marriage has 5 votes and it only takes 4 to get the court to hear a case. Given that Kennedy is practically begging to end marriage discrimination, I don't find it hard to believe they'll have the necessary votes to bring it to court. Like I said, though, it's less likely. I don't see the court wading in unless its hand is forced by a federal judge.

And a ruling for would be a clear circuit split, as the Eighth (in Citizens for Equal Protection v. Bruning) have already ruled against, back in 2006.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

TinTower posted:

And a ruling for would be a clear circuit split, as the Eighth (in Citizens for Equal Protection v. Bruning) have already ruled against, back in 2006.

Do "splits" among court decisions like this have to be for the exact same reason, for a higher appeals court to take it up? Like, say in this case the 8th Circuit judge ruled against arguments A, B, and C, but the Utah judge ruled for arguments A and B, but not C, and also ruled for argument D, I'm curious if that changes anything. Do the higher courts: refuse to take up any of it, only rule on arguments A and B, poo poo-can both rulings with their own, or something else entirely?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Do "splits" among court decisions like this have to be for the exact same reason, for a higher appeals court to take it up? Like, say in this case the 8th Circuit judge ruled against arguments A, B, and C, but the Utah judge ruled for arguments A and B, but not C, and also ruled for argument D, I'm curious if that changes anything. Do the higher courts: refuse to take up any of it, only rule on arguments A and B, poo poo-can both rulings with their own, or something else entirely?

The major sticking point appears to be Baker v. Nelson (Bruning and Sevick says it still holds, Perry and Kitchen not), along with the equal protection arguments and scrutiny level question. It's hard to find anyway of solving the split without solving all three.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Generally the law being seriously different between circuits means the Supreme Court needs to standardize it, and that all the arguments have been mulled over by the lower courts enough. So yeah, in this situation there'd be a circuit split and the Supreme Court would be more likely to intervene.

However it's clear that when they do, they'll legalize it but Kennedy may believe waiting a year or two is a better option. And the Supreme Court doesn't have to hear the case even if there is a circuit split.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

evilweasel posted:

Generally the law being seriously different between circuits means the Supreme Court needs to standardize it, and that all the arguments have been mulled over by the lower courts enough. So yeah, in this situation there'd be a circuit split and the Supreme Court would be more likely to intervene.

However it's clear that when they do, they'll legalize it but Kennedy may believe waiting a year or two is a better option. And the Supreme Court doesn't have to hear the case even if there is a circuit split.

Or they could hear it and postpone actually deciding

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

So I have to ask - why is Utah appealing the ruling then? It seems like a strategically idiotic move. If they take it to the 10th and lose, it causes multiple other states to lose as well. If they win, it's a circuit split that goes to SCOTUS where the odds are that they're going to lose as well (given past jurisprudence) and take the rest of the country with them. Their best case scenario seems to be hoping that they'll win both in the 10th and SCOTUS, in spite of all evidence, and even then they're likely to personally fail as Utah will have had two years worth of marriages and then the Prop 8 judgement will likely demand that Utah can't take the step back. Am I missing something or is this entirely a lose-lose situation for SSM opponents?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Because they "have" to?

I mean you typically want a state to defend its laws in court.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Because at this point Utah has legalized gay marriage and they don't care about whether other states do or not.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Concerned Citizen posted:

The exception to this is the prop 8 ruling, in which the court likely would have ruled except the folks defending the law did not have standing).

I've always been curious, what if California had defended the law, but intentionally took a dive? Would that basically end with the disbarment of the state AG?
e:Oh hey new page.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Also because most elected officials in Utah who aren't on record howling in protest about the court ruling will not be re-elected, regardless of the eventual outcome.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Nth Doctor posted:

I've always been curious, what if California had defended the law, but intentionally took a dive? Would that basically end with the disbarment of the state AG?
e:Oh hey new page.

By all accounts, the Obama administration's defense in the Windsor cases, before they pulled out, was staggeringly bad.

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem
Question for the appellate lawyers: will the two 10th Circuit judges that denied the stay be automatically assigned to hearing this case? Because if not, Utah has a non-zero chance of winning, as the 10th is considered on of the more conservative circuits and could draw a favorable panel.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Tempest_56 posted:

So I have to ask - why is Utah appealing the ruling then? It seems like a strategically idiotic move. If they take it to the 10th and lose, it causes multiple other states to lose as well. If they win, it's a circuit split that goes to SCOTUS where the odds are that they're going to lose as well (given past jurisprudence) and take the rest of the country with them. Their best case scenario seems to be hoping that they'll win both in the 10th and SCOTUS, in spite of all evidence, and even then they're likely to personally fail as Utah will have had two years worth of marriages and then the Prop 8 judgement will likely demand that Utah can't take the step back. Am I missing something or is this entirely a lose-lose situation for SSM opponents?

For that movement to have the realization that they should not fight the judgment, they'd first have to adopt a strategic position that wasn't just "FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!", and they'd have to have the humility to accept that they would live with the ruling in order to "spare" the rest of the country. Neither one of those is particularly in line with the general character of the Republican base, which will drive their judgment as elected officials in Utah.

On the first point, consider the championing of Cruz's defund Obamacare push that caused the government shutdown, even though it was very evident that there was nothing to be won by pushing the battle. Instead, Cruz got popularity from fighting an unwinnable battle, and the Republicans who put an end to the battle and saved their reputation among the general public are seen as RINOs who compromised away their values.

That might be the best move Utah realistically has, but if Utah did that, the electorate would tear those officials to pieces and elect new officials this year who would run on how not appealing was a mistake that should disqualify those people from being re-elected.

thefncrow fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Dec 26, 2013

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

thefncrow posted:

For that movement to have the realization that they should not fight the judgment, they'd first have to adopt a strategic position that wasn't just "FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!", and they'd have to have the humility to accept that they would live with the ruling in order to "spare" the rest of the country. Neither one of those is particularly in line with the general character of the Republican base, which will drive their judgment as elected officials in Utah.

Right, so I'm not missing some scenario that they'll come out on top with - it really is just short-sighted thrashing that can do nothing more than hurt their own cause.

Kind of ironic - the Utah GOP may just end up causing the biggest step forward in SSM in the next year.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Tempest_56 posted:

Right, so I'm not missing some scenario that they'll come out on top with - it really is just short-sighted thrashing that can do nothing more than hurt their own cause.

Kind of ironic - the Utah GOP may just end up causing the biggest step forward in SSM in the next year.

Groupthink is a hell of a thing. Remember, they are frequently convinced that conservatives abound all around, and elections get stolen.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

The New York Times has a nice piece up today running down what is at stake with Indiana and the proposed amendment HJR-6:

quote:

Supporters of same-sex marriage, however, are pouring money and effort into defeating the measure in Indiana, a possibility that seemed unthinkable not long ago but one that advocates now insist is conceivable. They say victory in a conservative place like Indiana would be a turning point in a fight that has largely been waged in more predictable, left-leaning states or in the courts. “That would send a clear message to opponents of marriage equality that it’s time to be done fighting this battle,” said Sarah Warbelow, state legislative director of the Human Rights Campaign.

As lawmakers prepare to return for a new legislative session in January, it is an especially awkward spot for Republicans, who dominate both chambers of the General Assembly. With an election year ahead and the risk of primaries in May, the issue is pitting socially conservative groups, who are urging a constitutional ban, against sometime allies in the state’s business community, who say a ban could cause Indiana economic harm.

Few Republicans now seem eager to talk about the issue, and some legislative aides said it was not entirely certain who would formally file the legislation in January.

In a speech to lawmakers last month, Representative Brian C. Bosma, the Republican House speaker, ticked off a list of top priorities ahead, including preschool education, road funding and business tax policy, before adding, “And yes, while it’s not high on the agenda, we all know we have to deal with whether Hoosiers should be entrusted with the important decision of the marriage amendment.”

And Gov. Mike Pence, a conservative during his years in Congress, has said he favors traditional marriage, but observers say he has not put the current question of a constitutional ban at the center of his agenda in recent months. His signature is not needed to send the matter to voters in November if legislators approve it a second time.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I FUCKING HATE POOR PEOPLE BUT I LOVE BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS and having two dishwashers in my CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Someone will probably correct me on this but it is my understanding that a circuit ruling would not strike the law down district wide, only Utah. It would set precedent for the district and it would only be a matter of time until other challenges worked their way through in the district but it could still take years of legal bureaucracy

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Strictly speaking that's true for every jurisdiction. There were lawsuits for years after the Loving SCOTUS decision, with places like Oklahoma basically saying "gently caress the Supreme Court, we're not handing out marriage licenses to interracial couples until they show up with court orders."

So if a particular jurisdiction, governor, or county clerk wants to act like assholes, they can do that even though they lose in the end.

But as to your question: the 10th circuit ruling against Utah would only affect Utah immediately, but five minutes later people will file lawsuits in the other states covered by the 10th and cite the Utah case as binding precedent.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Three Olives posted:

Someone will probably correct me on this but it is my understanding that a circuit ruling would not strike the law down district wide, only Utah. It would set precedent for the district and it would only be a matter of time until other challenges worked their way through in the district but it could still take years of legal bureaucracy

That's not correct. If the 10th Circuit rules that bans on gay marriage violate the Constitution, it's precedent for every state in the 10th. They'd each need individual lawsuits to overturn their respective amendments and bans but they would just point to the 10th Circuit case and demand summary judgement, which they'd get. But as a matter of law the 10th Circuit decision would apply to every state in its jurisdiction, they'd just need to jump through the proper procedural hoops.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

The last of the Utah counties holding out on issuing marriage licenses have given up and are now handing out licenses for gay couples. The state's obviously not done fighting, but the counties have thrown in the towel.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I FUCKING HATE POOR PEOPLE BUT I LOVE BEING FUCKED IN THE ASS and having two dishwashers in my CONDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sweeney Tom posted:

The last of the Utah counties holding out on issuing marriage licenses have given up and are now handing out licenses for gay couples. The state's obviously not done fighting, but the counties have thrown in the towel.

Contempt of court threats tend to override people's "principled" stands.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

How many appeals have happened in Utah?

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Appeals about what and by whom?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

The Macaroni posted:

Appeals about what and by whom?

For a stay on gay marriages by opponents

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001
I'm not quite sure what you're asking.

Utah has appealed this ruling to the 10th Circuit Court of Appeals.

They went to the 10th Circuit asking for a stay on the ruling until the original judge ruled on whether they were entitled to a stay pending appeal, which was rejected.

They went to the original judge and asked him to stay his ruling pending the 10th Circuit appeals process, which was rejected.

After losing that, they asked the 10th Circuit to grant a stay until the appeal was completed, which was rejected.

They've now asked SCOTUS for the same stay, and I don't think there's been a response, but that's unlikely to be granted.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Once Sotomayor rejects their request for a stay, if they're really, really determined they can direct the request to a different justice. That justice will refer the request to the full Court, who will then decide. They do this to ensure that once you get someone willing to pester everyone, it's resolved the second time by having all judges weigh in.

edit: this generally only happens with crazy people though.

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Dec 27, 2013

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

thefncrow posted:

I'm not quite sure what you're asking.

Utah has appealed this ruling to the 10th Circuit Court of Appeals.

They went to the 10th Circuit asking for a stay on the ruling until the original judge ruled on whether they were entitled to a stay pending appeal, which was rejected.

They went to the original judge and asked him to stay his ruling pending the 10th Circuit appeals process, which was rejected.

After losing that, they asked the 10th Circuit to grant a stay until the appeal was completed, which was rejected.

They've now asked SCOTUS for the same stay, and I don't think there's been a response, but that's unlikely to be granted.

Yup this is what I was looking for. I knew that it was more than once

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

evilweasel posted:

Well, we are talking about Utah here :v:

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

evilweasel posted:

Wasn't this the favorite pastime of Orly Taitz until they started fining her for wasting everyone's time?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Three Olives posted:

Wasn't this the favorite pastime of Orly Taitz until they started fining her for wasting everyone's time?

Yes, she's how I know about this perticular procedure. Everyone flipped out when she petitioned a second justice (one of the conservatives, though I forget which) and he referred it to the entire court, and everyone assumed that was a "this sounds reasonable let's depose a president" move instead of "lets make this crazy lady go away" procedure.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Went to the movies today and one of the previews was a Fathom Events feature called

quote:

NCM Fathom Events, Focus on the Family™ and Pine Creek Entertainment invite you to explore important questions about what is family in the one-night cinema event Irreplaceable . Broadcast to movie theaters nationwide on Tuesday, May 6 at 7:30pm (local time), join host Tim Sisarich (Executive Director of Focus on the Family™ New Zealand) as he meets with experts around the globe to seek answers to this fascinating question.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BF2wEgIOSMQ
Here is the trailer. Subtle at times and overt at other times, this documentary is looking at what "is a traditional family" and "traditional marriage"

Mr Ice Cream Glove fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Dec 28, 2013

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

The picture and summary you put up sound a lot like something Scientology would release.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

RZApublican posted:

The picture and summary you put up sound a lot like something Scientology would release.
Considering the things Scientology has done, it wouldn't surprise me if it was a secret campaign by them to discredit Focus on the Family.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Considering the things Scientology has done, it wouldn't surprise me if it was a secret campaign by them to discredit Focus on the Family.

Scientology donated heavily to Yes campaigns on Prop 8. I don't think this is an issue they're at odds with Focus on the Family on.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Scientology also donated heavily to Yes campaigns on Prop 8.
I was thinking more along the lines of how they infiltrated the IRS and other US government agencies, the largest act of espionage against the US government in recorded history.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Snow_White

FlamingLiberal fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Dec 28, 2013

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

evilweasel posted:

Yes, she's how I know about this perticular procedure. Everyone flipped out when she petitioned a second justice (one of the conservatives, though I forget which) and he referred it to the entire court, and everyone assumed that was a "this sounds reasonable let's depose a president" move instead of "lets make this crazy lady go away" procedure.

Wouldn't Sotomayor normally refer something like this to the whole court anyway? What does it take, four votes to hear the case? I suspect they would get that, or is Roberts trying to stay clear of the whole thing and let it play out in the lower courts and states until everyone realizes the momentum is unstoppable? On that note, I saw Fox News asking how the Republicans are going to run an anti-marriage-equality candidate in 2016, when that position is so far outside the mainstream of young and middle-aged voters.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

KernelSlanders posted:

Wouldn't Sotomayor normally refer something like this to the whole court anyway? What does it take, four votes to hear the case? I suspect they would get that, or is Roberts trying to stay clear of the whole thing and let it play out in the lower courts and states until everyone realizes the momentum is unstoppable? On that note, I saw Fox News asking how the Republicans are going to run an anti-marriage-equality candidate in 2016, when that position is so far outside the mainstream of young and middle-aged voters.

They're debating over a stay, not over taking the case. The case would still need to make it through the 10th Circuit before the Supremes weigh in.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
^^^^ The stay should be interesting, one one end you have gay people that can show demonstrative harm if they can not get married, particularly after Windsor against the opposition that can only point to a ridiculous slippery slope argument after thousands of marriages that have already taken place in their state that would not be annulled by a stay.

On the way home I listened to a commentator from National Review on NPR flat out say that now that marriage equality is gaining steam polygomy is on the table in 2014.You know since the Utah marriage ruling and the overturning of a completely unrelated and rediculious law preventing cohabitation by unmarried people.

I'm used to this by the fringe crazies but come on, they aren't even trying anymore.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Dec 28, 2013

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
Pet marriage and small appliance civil unions will be the hot-button topics of the 2016 elections.

Don't get too excited 3o, marriage to domiciles is probably at least a decade away.

Petr fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Dec 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

What about non-residential buildings?

• Locked thread