Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Note to self, check the wiring loom that you neglected to grease up this year....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

ReelBigLizard posted:

The salt has finally killed my 690. Front of the wiring loom, under the headlight, is rotten and left me stranded at my girlfriend's place. I'm riding her cherry red Piaggio PX50 "vespa" between the various local auto shops for new hookup wire and connectors.

Going to be a weekend of multi meters, soldering irons, vaseline, self amalgamating tape, blood and frustration.

Also I will try and fix the bike.

My Yamaha took care of this last winter by having the wires routed in such a way that the steering stops cut them all off when I went into a tank slapper on a snowmobile trail. Fun stuff, my condolences etc.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Grease will degrade plastic wire enclosures faster. :ssh:

http://www.johnswireshop.com/

Get some mil-spec or Teflon enclosed wire and don't look back.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

apatite posted:

GUESS AGAIN :getin:

If it weren't for the salt, I might consider that, but no way am I letting my bike get all corroded like some pedestrian 690.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

If it weren't for the salt, I might consider that, but no way am I letting my bike get all corroded like some pedestrian 690.

Weather was amazing here in PA today so I risked the salt to thrash the melting snow and the mud pits all the trails and drainage areas around me have turned into. Gave the bike a little spraydown at the carwash and she's good to hide in my garage for another month if need be.

That said I really want a supermoto but goddamn, my enduro is so perfect sometimes. I feel like I'm breaking up with a great girl just because I'm not sure if she's what I want yet.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

Weather was amazing here in PA today so I risked the salt to thrash the melting snow and the mud pits all the trails and drainage areas around me have turned into. Gave the bike a little spraydown at the carwash and she's good to hide in my garage for another month if need be.

That said I really want a supermoto but goddamn, my enduro is so perfect sometimes. I feel like I'm breaking up with a great girl just because I'm not sure if she's what I want yet.

Just remember that monogamy doesn't have to apply to motorcycles. If you can afford it, you can have more than one (like wives).

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Linedance posted:

Just remember that monogamy doesn't have to apply to motorcycles. If you can afford it, you can have more than one (like wives).

Ah I already do, I've got my Streety that I treat like a princess and the DRZ I beat on like a red-headed step child. Both of those together are about 6X what my car costs so while it would be awesome a third bike just ain't gonna fit finance-wise, unless it was a funny little pit bike or something.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
I'm looking for a little Japanese enduro under $500 this winter. I just want to find something I can relentlessly beat the ever loving poo poo out of.

fingerling
Mar 7, 2010
Do you guys get double demerit point weekend(s), or holidays anywhere else? In Australia, pretty much any holiday had at the very least, a weekend where absolutely any offences, you'll get double hit. These seem to also coincide with the times where they do safety crack-downs (which, in all honestly, I'm all for).

God I need another bike. Having a mildly fast car simply doesn't compare with the absolute freedom of a bike. :(

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I've never heard of this. They will give twice the punishment just because it's a certain day?! Does this not even take into account that less people might be out that certain day so it's actually safer conditions, or that one day is the same as another day? That just seems crazy. Oh no, let's not hurt this special days feelings. It will know if we don't come down hard on anyone not respecting this special time period in a way that pleases ourselves only.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Pretty sure nobody gets hysterical over 'hooning' and similar 'anti-social' driving / riding like the Aussies do. I've heard tales from Canadians but they're still not as absurd as Aus. Slavvy's struggles with Big Kiwi are a pale shadow.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Snowdens Secret posted:

Pretty sure nobody gets hysterical over 'hooning' and similar 'anti-social' driving / riding like the Aussies do. I've heard tales from Canadians but they're still not as absurd as Aus. Slavvy's struggles with Big Kiwi are a pale shadow.

That seems so Anti-Australian to a foreigner's viewpoint. I figured if anyone would be for hooning it would be the Aussies.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Australia seems to be trying to bubble wrap everything just like England.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Bugdrvr posted:

Australia seems to be trying to bubble wrap everything just like England.

Unless it comes on a boat.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Big Kiwi is giving us a ZERO TOLERANCE FOR SPEEDING NAZI POLICY for this entire month and January and they are quite literally changing the ratio of duty cops so that there is a disproportionate number cruising the streets pinging speeders. Then when there are less road fatalities they trumpet that their presence is obviously making a difference :rolleyes:

wallaka posted:

Unless it comes on a boat/is a different colour/speaks foreign.

Fixed.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

That was implied. Australia=Alabama in a lot of ways.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Slavvy posted:

Big Kiwi is giving us a ZERO TOLERANCE FOR SPEEDING NAZI POLICY for this entire month and January and they are quite literally changing the ratio of duty cops so that there is a disproportionate number cruising the streets pinging speeders. Then when there are less road fatalities they trumpet that their presence is obviously making a difference :rolleyes:

Government loves money, like a whole bunch. Like the Dutch gov't figured out, you can milk the poo poo out of the people if you say it's to improve safety.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.

fingerling posted:

Do you guys get double demerit point weekend(s), or holidays anywhere else? In Australia, pretty much any holiday had at the very least, a weekend where absolutely any offences, you'll get double hit. These seem to also coincide with the times where they do safety crack-downs (which, in all honestly, I'm all for).

God I need another bike. Having a mildly fast car simply doesn't compare with the absolute freedom of a bike. :(
Closest thing we have to that is double-fines for speeding through certain arbitrarily chosen lengths of road. They call them things like "Safe driving zones".

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
We get that too in the form of double fine construction zones that are in place for years with no construction occuring.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Crap. I've been reading those as double fun construction zones

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

At one point in auckland there seriously was a stretch of motorway that went 100>80 ROADWORKS AHEAD>100>80 ROADWORKS AHEAD>100 with no roadworks anywhere. I've had a traffic management guy tell me that people basically ignore the temporary speed signs for roadworks now because they're

A. Ludicrously, hilariously low (I've seen 30km/h on a normally 100 road)
B. Are put up and forgotten after work is completed/paused, so they just become part of the scenery
C. Both of the above.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Snowdens Secret posted:

Do the Aus have a policy where if you get dinged doing over a certain # of km they pull the bike/car out from under you and you get to walk home?

That's how it is up here. If you're 40 over in BC, you walk home. In Ontario, 50. I'm not aware of anything like that in Alberta, Saskatchewan or Manitoba, but those are also places where twisties don't exist.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

In NZ 40km/h over the limit gets you an instant loss of license for thirty days. The cop physically takes it off you, then you have to sort out getting your vehicle home; if it's parked somewhere illegal (like by the side of the motorway) they tow it.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slavvy posted:

In NZ 40km/h over the limit gets you an instant loss of license for thirty days. The cop physically takes it off you, then you have to sort out getting your vehicle home; if it's parked somewhere illegal (like by the side of the motorway) they tow it.

sounds like the kiwis and canucks have been exchanging notes...

this is also why, should I move back to canuckistan, I'll be looking at beautiful but slow Moto Guzzi V7s.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Dec 29, 2013

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I've found that as far as cops are concerned, either they have ridden/ride bikes and don't bother giving you poo poo, or they have no idea how fast bikes really are and think 140km/h is dangerously fast.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Phy posted:

In Ontario, 50.

Don't forget that not only do they take your vehicle and license for 30 days, but it's a mandatory $10,000 fine and 7 points on your license which means you are effectively uninsurable as long as the charge is on the record.

This when literally everyone on the 401 drives 120 km/h, where the limit is 100, so you really only have to be doing 30km/h (18mph) over the speed of slow-lane traffic to get your driving privileges hosed for the next three years.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Maybe I'm getting old or something but I really dont understand the draw of speeding on the highway anymore. Great, you got somewhere 5 minutes faster (if you didn't lose that time in additional gas stops) in exchange for potentially getting screwed on your insurance, a bunch of time dicking with the courts and the rest of the B.S. that goes into a speeding ticket. If you're going to get a ticket you may as well earn it doing 70 up a twisty back road with a limit of 55.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I don't see the point of blasting down the highway at twice the limit either, but it's completely within reason to temporarily accelerate to 20mph faster than the guy beside you if you're trying to make a pass and get out of the danger zone quickly. Granted you could just stay at the same speed as the dude and hang around behind him, but sometimes you just need to get away from an idiot or whatever.

Laws can (and should) be inflexible, but the assignment of penalties needs to be fluid to properly accommodate the variability inherent to each case. That's why we have judges instead of just a big list of crimes and punishments. Automatic mandatory charges assigned for some arbitrary checkbox you ticked ruin the whole basis of our legal system.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Z3n posted:

Maybe I'm getting old or something but I really dont understand the draw of speeding on the highway anymore. Great, you got somewhere 5 minutes faster (if you didn't lose that time in additional gas stops) in exchange for potentially getting screwed on your insurance, a bunch of time dicking with the courts and the rest of the B.S. that goes into a speeding ticket. If you're going to get a ticket you may as well earn it doing 70 up a twisty back road with a limit of 55.

Whatever the average speed is, I need to go faster. It feels iffy if I'm moving with traffic instead of keeping everyone behind me.

This is completely automatic behaviour, mind you. I've been doing 30kph+ on the highway even when there's no traffic to upset my reptile hind brain parts. :shrug:

And then people get upset with me when I do an indicated 50kph in residential areas. Oh, people. :allears:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
If the guy's doing 75-85, why not just drop to 65 for a bit than doing 95-105 to get past him? Keeping lovely drivers in front of you rather than behind you is almost always preferable, unless you're willing to maintain triple digit speeds for an extended time to get enough gap between you and them.

It just doesn't really make sense - you don't get away from erratic, quick drivers by getting in front of them. There's this attitude that the throttle is usually the best solution to lovely drivers and oftentimes that's not the case.

Edit: As I recall, MSF taught me to split my attention 70% front, 30% elsewhere. That gives me 3 seconds of scan time every 10 seconds, and I find that that really helps maintain proper situational awareness. 1.5 seconds of scanning my surroundings every 5 seconds and usually it's difficult for cars to sneak up on me, making rolling with the flow of traffic much more comfortable.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Dec 30, 2013

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Going fast and cutting through traffic is fun, put your cost/benefit charts away you spergy goons.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Z3n posted:

It just doesn't really make sense - you don't get away from erratic, quick drivers by getting in front of them. There's this attitude that the throttle is usually the best solution to lovely drivers and oftentimes that's not the case.

You don't get away from erratic drivers who are going consistently fast, no, but you do get away from erratic drivers who are arbitrarily speeding up and slowing down and weaving all over the place and so on. Extend and evade.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

Going fast and cutting through traffic is fun, put your cost/benefit charts away you spergy goons.

Loses some of it's fun when you see someone dead on the ground from it. poo poo sucks.

Sagebrush posted:

You don't get away from erratic drivers who are going consistently fast, no, but you do get away from erratic drivers who are arbitrarily speeding up and slowing down and weaving all over the place and so on. Extend and evade.

My experience is that those drivers will eventually pull away if you stick to the limit - just trying to provide another option. More tricks up your sleeve, more situational awareness, the lower your chances of getting taken out by someone.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
If I'm doing a 400 mile ride and I do 80 it shaves an hour and change off the trip compared to 65. The higher speed also keeps me more alert and helps guarantee threats most likely come from my front quarter and not my sides or rear. If I do 40 instead of 25 my half hour commute becomes 18 minutes and that's 12 fewer minutes each way for other drivers to kill me.

I am convinced that moving around cars at a low relative velocity - I.e. both of us around the speed limit - is far more dangerous - than doing it at a faster clip. Humans suck at formation driving and the longer you spend diddling around in someone's vehicular personal space, the more likely they will do something erratic and stupid. Target fixation dominates there, you go where you look, eventually they're going to look at you too long and crash into you.

Cutting speed trades your agility and response capability in the hope other people's are better, which if you're on a bike is hopefully unlikely. Again, it shifts the risk approach vector from front to rear and especially on a bike your visibility in that quarter is the worst. Slowing down is definitely not automatically safer; if it was, stopping would be safest, and no one advocates coming to a crashing halt on the highway.

I'm tempted to say speeding never killed anybody, but I don't want to argue semantics. It's about not outrunning your vision, your ability, and your vehicle / road conditions. Speed limits are determined part on hazard conditions - crossing traffic, etc. - part on handling and response estimated using a half-blind old biddy driving a '60s land yacht with bald bias-plys and drum brakes (and with margin to spare there), and part on political concerns that have zero basis in anything related to safety. If you have a vaguely modern bike in good shape, and you're not asleep or drunk, if there was nothing and no one else on the road, there are very few roads out there that you couldn't safely handle at double the speed limit, sometimes more, including the interstate, often even if you've never been down that road before. It's usually not safe in real life, because of all the other random poo poo and other idiots on the street.

The idea that the maximum speed for safety for both a motorcyclist, on a high performance machine they slavishly maintain, who actively practices emergency high-speed maneuvering, who delberately maintains much higher than normal situational awareness - and your average bungling commuter in their decaying shitbox, music turned up, kids screaming, trying to shove a burger down their maw while they fire off a text - is exactly the loving same is abjectly ridiculous.

Z3n if you lost a fellow rider to an avoidable accident, you have my sympathies, but there is always more to the story than 'they were going over the limit.'

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I'm so loving tired of everything I'm surrounded by in life right now, holy poo poo - need a parachute now.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Cycle Asylum->Ranting Echo Chamber/Padded Room: Well, actuarially speaking

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Z3n is the best troll, seamlessly transitioning from pulling crossed up wheelies on corner exits thru neighborhoods to lecturing about the risk of death by riding slightly faster than traffic on the highway.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Snowdens Secret posted:

If I'm doing a 400 mile ride and I do 80 it shaves an hour and change off the trip compared to 65. The higher speed also keeps me more alert and helps guarantee threats most likely come from my front quarter and not my sides or rear. If I do 40 instead of 25 my half hour commute becomes 18 minutes and that's 12 fewer minutes each way for other drivers to kill me.

This works as long as you don't have to stop for gas more often on the long trips, but does significantly increase risk. Plus in the long run, you're going to normalize to the faster speed, are you going to then do 90mph to "stay alert"? Better to just adjust your perception of things.

quote:

I am convinced that moving around cars at a low relative velocity - I.e. both of us around the speed limit - is far more dangerous - than doing it at a faster clip. Humans suck at formation driving and the longer you spend diddling around in someone's vehicular personal space, the more likely they will do something erratic and stupid. Target fixation dominates there, you go where you look, eventually they're going to look at you too long and crash into you.

Well, you can think that, but all of the research indicates that the most dangerous thing is a high delta between you and the cars around you. If the flow of traffic is ~80mph, then you're safest doing within 5mph of 80mph. I usually do ~5-8mph over as that's the median of flow of traffic around here. Target fixation isn't a significant factor in cars, unless the driver is drunk - then all bets are off. Also, going significantly faster than the flow of traffic is going to mean in the long run you spend more time around cars, rather than moving through traffic until you find the area between groups and sitting there with a larger safety margin and lower overall speed.

quote:

Cutting speed trades your agility and response capability in the hope other people's are better, which if you're on a bike is hopefully unlikely. Again, it shifts the risk approach vector from front to rear and especially on a bike your visibility in that quarter is the worst. Slowing down is definitely not automatically safer; if it was, stopping would be safest, and no one advocates coming to a crashing halt on the highway.

This is crazy. Cutting speed INCREASES your agility, your ability to swerve, your available time to react to things in front of you, in exchange for a questionable benefit - motorcyclists are rarely rear ended unless they are the ones slamming on the brakes.

Slowing down is not automatically safer, but reducing the delta of speed between you and those around you is. No one stops on the freeway because a 50mph delta is nearly guaranteed to cause an accident.

quote:

I'm tempted to say speeding never killed anybody, but I don't want to argue semantics. It's about not outrunning your vision, your ability, and your vehicle / road conditions. Speed limits are determined part on hazard conditions - crossing traffic, etc. - part on handling and response estimated using a half-blind old biddy driving a '60s land yacht with bald bias-plys and drum brakes (and with margin to spare there), and part on political concerns that have zero basis in anything related to safety. If you have a vaguely modern bike in good shape, and you're not asleep or drunk, if there was nothing and no one else on the road, there are very few roads out there that you couldn't safely handle at double the speed limit, sometimes more, including the interstate, often even if you've never been down that road before. It's usually not safe in real life, because of all the other random poo poo and other idiots on the street.

Speeding increases the consequences of an accident, increases the distance you need to react to hazards, decreases your ability to swerve/avoid hazards, and increases the difficulty of handling your bike. I don't see what theoretical max speed in a perfect world has to do with it...the whole problem with motorcycles is you have to deal with all the other assholes and road conditions, and that's what makes speed limits a good compromise. In CA, speed limits are generally established based on the 85th percentile speed for traffic, because the danger is in the delta - mismatched speeds between users of the road are dangerous.

quote:

The idea that the maximum speed for safety for both a motorcyclist, on a high performance machine they slavishly maintain, who actively practices emergency high-speed maneuvering, who delberately maintains much higher than normal situational awareness - and your average bungling commuter in their decaying shitbox, music turned up, kids screaming, trying to shove a burger down their maw while they fire off a text - is exactly the loving same is abjectly ridiculous.

It's actually not at all, because all the horsepower in the world doesn't do a goddamn thing when you have a 20mph closing speed and that person drifts into your lane. All you've done at that point is increased the closing speed, the consequences of a crash, and reduced your ability to evade. We might have some of the highest performance vehicles on the road but that doesn't matter when the danger is in how fast you go relative to those around you. Same reason 150mph is totally reasonable on the track and 150mph down a public road is probably going to end really badly - the context in which you speed is everything. Plus, if you rely on your razor sharp reflexes to get you out of trouble all the time, you're probably a lovely motorcyclist, cause you're not planning, scanning, and adjusting your riding approach based on those things enough.

quote:

Z3n if you lost a fellow rider to an avoidable accident, you have my sympathies, but there is always more to the story than 'they were going over the limit.'

I don't agree with the "SPEED KILLS" people, but I do know a large number of the accidents I've seen wouldn't have been accidents at all if the person had been doing the speed limit.

nsaP posted:

Z3n is the best troll, seamlessly transitioning from pulling crossed up wheelies on corner exits thru neighborhoods to lecturing about the risk of death by riding slightly faster than traffic on the highway.

If you're going to expose yourself to risk, at least do it when you're having fun and if you get a ticket you can say you at least didn't just blow 300 bucks on getting to work 10 minutes faster. Plus, that's the great thing about risk...it takes into account the amount of time you spend doing something. I spend a hell of a lot more time on the freeway than I do riding like a hooligan, so staying safe on the freeway is far more likely to help me avoid an accident. Of course, I also keep my hooligan poo poo to the isolated areas/track/etc these days now too, cause less risk for the same fun is just flat out better.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Dec 30, 2013

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Z3n posted:

This works as long as you don't have to stop for gas more often on the long trips, but does significantly increase risk. Plus in the long run, you're going to normalize to the faster speed, are you going to then do 90mph to "stay alert"? Better to just adjust your perception of things.

I usually have an espresso before I leave for work to stay alert while I do 90+mph. It usually keeps me going until I can get to work and have another coffee to wake up fully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Linedance posted:

I usually have an espresso before I leave for work to stay alert while I do 90+mph. It usually keeps me going until I can get to work and have another coffee to wake up fully.

How long before you're snorting blow and riding 120 to keep your high going man? HOW LONG?!?! :mad: