Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Does this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rokmn60xXec

of the 1990 Rumble have some odd audio mixing, or did they put mics under the ring? The crowd also seems especially hot for everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Gaz-L posted:

It's still weird to me that everyone but Vince was able to take Lance Storm and build him up to the point that he was in a better position when he left, than when he started.

Most other promotions worked around Lance's limitations, whereas in WWE, his weaknesses are the key skills you need to move up. :(

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Joeslop posted:

Does this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rokmn60xXec

of the 1990 Rumble have some odd audio mixing, or did they put mics under the ring? The crowd also seems especially hot for everything.

Wikipedia says it was nearly a sellout crowd in Orlando

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

The thing about "What if WCW survived?" is that really, it did survive, as TNA. TNA has most of the same problems and for a while had many of the same guys.

And just like WCW, without a big-dollar backer who is being worked by has-beens, the company would go belly up in a week.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

MassRafTer posted:

Well there's Fujinami who innovated/popularized a number of moves Ultimo used, was a giant star for NJPW and held the IWGP a bunch of times.

He also did this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGT3EdTuBco

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Who were the 25 people WWE signed when they purchased WCW? I remember the following:

- Hurricane Helms
- Sean O'Haire
- Chavo Guerrero
- Stacy Kiebler
- Torrie Wilson
- Lance Storm
- Shannon Moore
- Chuck Palumbo
- Mike Sanders
- Jamie Noble
- Mark Jindrack
- Hugh Morrus

Reno, Elix Skipper and Sean Stasiak might have been signed too, but I really can't remember.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Who were the 25 people WWE signed when they purchased WCW? I remember the following:

- Hurricane Helms
- Sean O'Haire
- Chavo Guerrero
- Stacy Kiebler
- Torrie Wilson
- Lance Storm
- Shannon Moore
- Chuck Palumbo
- Mike Sanders
- Jamie Noble
- Mark Jindrack
- Hugh Morrus

Reno, Elix Skipper and Sean Stasiak might have been signed too, but I really can't remember.

Booker T, Kronik (Brian Adams & Bryan Clark), Buff Bagwell, Billy Kidman, Chris Kanyon & Mike Awesome too.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

dsriggs posted:

Booker T, Kronik (Brian Adams & Bryan Clark), Buff Bagwell, Billy Kidman, Chris Kanyon & Mike Awesome too.

That's not quite what I meant. Those guys were part if the invasion, but when WWE purchased WCW they also picked up 25 contracts. The guys you listed all negotiated with WWE separately.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

CopywrightMMXI posted:

- Hurricane Helms
- Sean O'Haire
- Chavo Guerrero
- Stacy Kiebler
- Torrie Wilson
- Lance Storm
- Shannon Moore
- Chuck Palumbo
- Mike Sanders
- Jamie Noble
- Mark Jindrack
- Hugh Morrus

Stasiak was either signed with the first group or shortly thereafter because I remember the reaction of "What the gently caress they took Stasiak?" Not all of the 25 necessarily ended up being used much or even going to developmental. The contracts had 90 day cycles built into them that basically gave WWE a chance to pick them up, keep them if they wanted and renegotiate or dump they if they didn't.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
The full list of contracts WWF picked up was: Mike Awesome, Hugh Morris, Lance Storm, Chavo Guerrero Jr., Shawn Stasiak, Johnny the Bull, Shane Helms, Shannon Moore, Evan Karagias, Chuck Palumbo, Sean O’Haire, Mike Sanders, Mark Jindrak, Elix Skipper, Kiwi, Lash Leroux, Wall, Kaz Hayashi, Jamie Noble, Yang, Stacy Keibler, Reno, Kid Romeo, and Jason Jett. Everyone else that came over either had their WCW contract expire before summer 2001 or took a buyout from Time Warner. And some of the guys WWF did "pick up" were cut before the Invasion even started with the 90 day cycles.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Well at least they got the Wall, brother.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
They didn't pick up Lash Leroux immediately?

BUT HE HAD L'S ON HIS FACE!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The thing to remember is that a lot of big contracts were with Time Warner directly, not with WCW.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Shawn Stasiak was plenty worth it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jkc3U5sSuw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0h5aEzruM5c

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

Since the Punk Blu-Ray has been released what has been some really good blu-rays WWE has released?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

TUS posted:

Since the Punk Blu-Ray has been released what has been some really good blu-rays WWE has released?

The Austin Bluray is pretty great.

Nick_326
Nov 3, 2011

History's Latest Monster
http://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/1tsy0v/so_i_just_now_finished_my_marathon_wwe_viewing/

The top comment says that Rock and Shawn Michaels never had a match, and that Shawn was jealous and tried to bury him via backstage politics before Bret Hart intervened. Any truth to this? I didn't realize that the two never had a match, which is crazy.

-Are Meltzer's books worth checking out?
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=ntt_athr_dp_sr_1?ie=UTF8&field-author=Dave+Meltzer&search-alias=books&text=Dave+Meltzer&sort=relevancerank

-This video's description says this was the only time Misawa lost by submission (from Akiyama's guillotine choke). Is this true?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

TUS posted:

So, really, as time goes on, a lot of past PPVs on Blu-Ray will go down in price. If there's a certain show you really dug, it will likely be under $12, unless it's a WrestlingMania. I usually snap up the Rumbles. Unfortunately, many non-big PPVs don't get a US blu-ray release. So much for that Blu-Ray release of Battleground, huh?

I bought the In Your House compilation, which is pretty fun. It has Kevin Nash's best match ever, and a lot of good Bret stuff, too. Plus, the amazing Mankind/HBK IYH match.

I just got the Money in the Bank collection for Christmas, and it comes with a sleeve that makes the BD look like a briefcase. The completeness of that one (the ladder matches and many cash-ins) is really impressive.

For the most part, though, the compilations are really up to you, and what themes fall into your wheelhouse. I'm probably going to end up buying the Bret Hart Blu-Ray, and the Punk one.

There must be a release that summarizes the Nexus storyline. I should look that up, unless someone else has a suggestion.

Red fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Dec 27, 2013

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

It also couldn't hurt to buy a month of Netflix or use their free trial to see what's on there. They have some of the bigger WWE releases and for $8 you can't really go wrong.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Nick_326 posted:

http://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/1tsy0v/so_i_just_now_finished_my_marathon_wwe_viewing/

The top comment says that Rock and Shawn Michaels never had a match, and that Shawn was jealous and tried to bury him via backstage politics before Bret Hart intervened. Any truth to this? I didn't realize that the two never had a match, which is crazy.
Keep in mind this was during Shawn's "difficult backstage" period plus Triple H was involved there too.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Nick_326 posted:

The Rock and Shawn have pretty much always hated each other IIRC. I've read everything from 'Shawn tried to hold him down' to something even further back, that Shawn once insulted a member of Rock's family when Rock was young, and Rock never felt he apologized properly.

Regardless, I'm pretty sure whatever happened it's all Shawns fault since he's a noted massive dickhead and Rock isn't.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

For what its worth, Rock said that Shawn is one of like 3 guys he'd always wanted to wrestle but never has so maybe they've made up at some point.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Rock is probably just savvy enough to know better than to fan the flames of him being on bad terms with anyone and knows that's the one big match with someone of his era that never happened.

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

Red posted:

So, really, as time goes on, a lot of past PPVs on Blu-Ray will go down in price. If there's a certain show you really dug, it will likely be under $12, unless it's a WrestlingMania. I usually snap up the Rumbles. Unfortunately, many non-big PPVs don't get a US blu-ray release. So much for that Blu-Ray release of Battleground, huh?

I bought the In Your House compilation, which is pretty fun. It has Kevin Nash's best match ever, and a lot of good Bret stuff, too. Plus, the amazing Mankind/HBK IYH match.

I just got the Money in the Bank collection for Christmas, and it comes with a sleeve that makes the BD look like a briefcase. The completeness of that one (the ladder matches and many cash-ins) is really impressive.

For the most part, though, the compilations are really up to you, and what themes fall into your wheelhouse. I'm probably going to end up buying the Bret Hart Blu-Ray, and the Punk one.

There must be a release that summarizes the Nexus storyline. I should look that up, unless someone else has a suggestion.

Thank you. I wasn't looking for PPV's, but more for comps/docs. I have Austins/Rocks/Punks/HHH's on blu-ray. I also have netflix and pretty much spent time watching everything I didn't own already.
MITB one seems worth it and I didn't even realize there was a Bret Hart one. The IYH seems to have the awesome Canadian Stampede match which is a bonus. I may go with MITB and IYH for now.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Do you like very thorough career retrospectives with some questionable grammar?
It looks like High Spots sells them for $2 each.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

To be fair, Shawn left to search for his smile pretty much as soon as Rock started gathering momentum, and came back pretty much as soon as he left. There was never a moment where they *could* have had a match, really.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

oldpainless posted:

For what its worth, Rock said that Shawn is one of like 3 guys he'd always wanted to wrestle but never has so maybe they've made up at some point.

Who are the other 2?

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

SiKboy posted:

Who are the other 2?
Savage for sure, and I think Sting.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

SiKboy posted:

Who are the other 2?

Rey Mysterio and John Cena. Obviously the third one happened.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SiKboy posted:

Who are the other 2?
One of them is Marty Janetty. :v:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

jeffersonlives posted:

To see The Rock sell the 619 just once in my life...

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MassRafTer posted:

To see The Rock sell the 619 just once in my life...

...I don't know if it's possible to take a bump into the announcers from that position.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Gaz-L posted:

...I don't know if it's possible to take a bump into the announcers from that position.

He'd find a way.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

TUS posted:

Thank you. I wasn't looking for PPV's, but more for comps/docs. I have Austins/Rocks/Punks/HHH's on blu-ray. I also have netflix and pretty much spent time watching everything I didn't own already.
MITB one seems worth it and I didn't even realize there was a Bret Hart one. The IYH seems to have the awesome Canadian Stampede match which is a bonus. I may go with MITB and IYH for now.

Yeah, the Hitman BD is pretty much his 'B-Sides': http://www.amazon.com/WWE-Hitman-Dungeon-Collection-Blu-ray/dp/B00AO1RKW6/

The only thing to keep in mind is that with most of the Hart BD, and the IYH one, is that since most of the footage is pre-HD, you get stylized letterboxing. I don't think it's a big deal, but it is worth noting.

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

Red posted:

Yeah, the Hitman BD is pretty much his 'B-Sides': http://www.amazon.com/WWE-Hitman-Dungeon-Collection-Blu-ray/dp/B00AO1RKW6/

The only thing to keep in mind is that with most of the Hart BD, and the IYH one, is that since most of the footage is pre-HD, you get stylized letterboxing. I don't think it's a big deal, but it is worth noting.

Im used to it from Austin and Rocks BD... no worries there.

And quick question on MITB; I noticed the blu-ray has the cash-ins, is Punk's first cash in the entire segment? Like Edge's promo to Batista's beatdown to Punk cashing in?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Were there plans for Kennedy to actually become the world champ with his 2007 MITB shot before it all went to poo poo?

Nick_326
Nov 3, 2011

History's Latest Monster
Found another Reddit post compiling more of Michaels' dickery, including more info on him and Triple H trying to bury the Rock and insulting Rock's grandma:

http://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/1ldrl4/lets_compile_a_list_of_all_shawn_michaels/

jeffersonlives posted:

Yup, says it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2rESJFPPZ4

However, I've found some interviews where Rock says he's never been interested in a match with Michaels.

http://pwtorch.com/artman2/publish/Torch_Flashbacks_19/article_38450.shtml#.Ur8KZOJ213U

2000 posted:

Keller: I don't think Shawn Michaels's name has come up other than when we talked about the Survivor Series. What are your thoughts on him? Was he helpful to you? Was he a hindrance to you? Was he someone you learned from, even his mistakes? Did he set a good example?

Rock: He was not helpful to me. I never sought his help. I really have nothing to say about Shawn.

Keller: Is that because if you can't say something good, you don't want to say anything at all?

Rock: Not necessarily. He was cordial with me as I was with him. But other than that, he doesn't know me well enough to speak of me and I don't know him well enough to speak of him.

Keller: Michaels is regarded as a fabulous athlete, a fabulous performer, and one of the best of this era or generation. If you agree with that to any degree, do you have a desire to work a top program with him if he were able to come back and work a handful of matches?

Rock: No, I have no desire to work with Shawn. None whatsoever.

Keller: Do you disagree that he was a great performer?

Rock: Not at all. He was a tremendous performer, a tremendous athlete. His work was an asset to the business.

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Savage for sure, and I think Sting.

http://www.wwe.com/inside/news/archive/therockdoom

2005 posted:

WWE.com: If you could wrestle just one more match, who would it be against?
The Rock: A guy I regret not working with, who I grew up watching, would be a guy like Sting in his prime. I would have loved to have wrestled him in his prime. And on the current roster, I always wanted to work with Rey Mysterio. I'd love to go against him with me as a heel in San Diego. I would love that. Sh**, that would be awesome. He's just one of those gifted guys that can have a great match with anyone.

WWE.com: A lot of people on the Internet have always said they would love to have seen The Rock vs. Shawn Michaels. Is that a match you would have liked to have had?
The Rock: I was never ever interested in working with him, to be honest with you. I've known him for a long time. He came in and worked for my family in Hawaii when I was like 13 -- him and Marty Jannetty. It was just one of those things. He was always one of those guys that I said "Hey" to and he said "Hey" -- it's no big deal.

Is there a specific reason that Rock vs Mysterio never happened?

Also, did someone delete the wikipedia page that had every 5-star match? The hell?

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

What's the consensus on MTV's Lucha Libre USA: Masked Warriors? Was there any quality wrestling? Why did it only last two "seasons"?

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

It's a Goog Day, yes it is!

Nick_326 posted:

Is there a specific reason that Rock vs Mysterio never happened?

As with most of these "why didn't this happen?" questions, the answer is basically because it never made sense for it to happen. By the time Rey came in in 2002, Rock was already pretty much a part-time guy. He was the Undisputed Champion while Rey was just getting his feet wet in the company, and then Rock went away or stayed on Raw while Rey was toiling in the undercard on SmackDown. It would be two years after WrestleMania XX (Rock's last match before Cena) before Rey would become a top guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.
:froggonk:
This has been bugging me for a while: Is there any kind of consistent logic to a professional wrestler's decision to wear a singlet, underwear-style tights, or pants-style tights? When I was a kid I thought that it was just the chiseled guys wore small tights, but there are plenty of ripped guys (Scott Steiner, et al) who wear pants. Plus you have dudes like Regal who never really looked great in the underwear-style tights, but wear them anyway. Is it just a matter of personal preference, or is there some method to it?