Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeliciousCookie
Mar 4, 2011

Jazerus posted:

Well, I'm not saying that changing things around to take away this kind of dramatic bullshit is a bad idea. I'm just surprised that so many people have such strong feelings about an issue that I have literally never encountered myself. There are pretty strong incentives to not do that: a subverted AI is way more useful to you than a dead one. Unless you have the AI-kill objective, what reason is there to even upload a suicide law in the first place? Why are enough suicide laws being uploaded right now that "argument over typo in a suicide law" has become a stereotypical scenario?

Its more advantageous to kill the AI than it is to let it live subverted. Subverting them means that someone can reset it at any given time. Not to mention its just quicker and easier to deal with a dead AI than it is to deal with whats essentially a ticking time bomb that'll blow up in your face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Jazerus posted:

Well, I'm not saying that changing things around to take away this kind of dramatic bullshit is a bad idea. I'm just surprised that so many people have such strong feelings about an issue that I have literally never encountered myself. There are pretty strong incentives to not do that: a subverted AI is way more useful to you than a dead one. Unless you have the AI-kill objective, what reason is there to even upload a suicide law in the first place? Why are enough suicide laws being uploaded right now that "argument over typo in a suicide law" has become a stereotypical scenario?

Some antags have plans and don't want to risk subverting a stupid AI that'll just get them killed in the long run. It's better to sometimes just get rid of the borgs and AI than take big risks for little reward.
I have once have my traitor round ruined because the AI was too busy yelling at his captain that he doesent need to take orders from him to notice I uploaded a one human law. When I pointed out what I had done he turned on turrets to lethal on me. Then continued to yell at the captain that he is a condom. This is pretty much the worst case though I've had lots of situations where the AIs just don't know what they are doing to be a proper use as a subverted AI.

shovelbum posted:

The nuke, which a tourist with no access could use to kill the AI in seconds, has recently been re-removed. This may be why people are using suicide laws.

Suicide laws are really easy to pull off especially if the AI keeps the door unbolted. Though with some hacking you can kill an AI thats not looking just as easy. Putting AI into the kill switch list like the borgs would be the even easier option.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

DeliciousCookie posted:

Its more advantageous to kill the AI than it is to let it live subverted. Subverting them means that someone can reset it at any given time. Not to mention its just quicker and easier to deal with a dead AI than it is to deal with whats essentially a ticking time bomb that'll blow up in your face.

Okay, then this is the more urgent issue to solve than the mechanical/technical/semantic details of exactly how the AI is being killed. I'm not opposed at all to the idea of killing the AI sometimes being a good idea, but the incentive structure shouldn't be set up in such a way as to encourage always doing it. I don't think that the calculus of kill vs. subvert is quite so clear as you make it out to be, but apparently a non-insignificant group of people share your outlook on the matter.

Iretep posted:

Some antags have plans and don't want to risk subverting a stupid AI that'll just get them killed in the long run. It's better to sometimes just get rid of the borgs and AI than take big risks for little reward.
I have once have my traitor round ruined because the AI was too busy yelling at his captain that he doesent need to take orders from him to notice I uploaded a one human law. When I pointed out what I had done he turned on turrets to lethal on me. Then continued to yell at the captain that he is a condom. This is pretty much the worst case though I've had lots of situations where the AIs just don't know what they are doing to be a proper use as a subverted AI.

Suicide laws are really easy to pull off especially if the AI keeps the door unbolted. Though with some hacking you can kill an AI thats not looking just as easy. Putting AI into the kill switch list like the borgs would be the even easier option.

I totally understand how lovely it is to have a perfectly valid subversion hosed up by a shameful AI but honestly, if your plans don't involve subverting the AI why even go to the upload and potentially be branded as suspicious if the AI is really poo poo and decides to call you out on it before you upload the suicide law? It's exceptionally easy to blind the AI or just count on it being distracted to get away with griff, its death is totally unnecessary for almost any kind of traitorous activity to succeed.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

shovelbum posted:

The nuke, which a tourist with no access could use to kill the AI in seconds, has recently been re-removed. This may be why people are using suicide laws.

drat tourists! Murray told 'em not to touch, but they just had to touch! Didn't they listen to the warnings about pushing those buttons? <:mad:>

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Jazerus posted:

I totally understand how lovely it is to have a perfectly valid subversion hosed up by a shameful AI but honestly, if your plans don't involve subverting the AI why even go to the upload and potentially be branded as suspicious if the AI is really poo poo and decides to call you out on it before you upload the suicide law? It's exceptionally easy to blind the AI or just count on it being distracted to get away with griff, its death is totally unnecessary for almost any kind of traitorous activity to succeed.

Changeling and vampires want it to die really badly if they dont want subversion. A traitor with big plans might want to kill the AI too. You don't always want the AI to die but it is a pretty big eye in the sky that can ruin everything by calling attention to your evil plans.
Also killing the AI is pretty low risk through the suicide law. If you get caught you can just say you wanted to upload a joke law. Usually at most you'll get a 10 minute brig time and lose your toolbox that you can easily replace. If you don't have anything better to do than to prepare for your big plans of killing everyone then trying to kill the AI first is a no brainer I find.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Nakar posted:

Because there are legitimate reasons that an AI player might want to suicide. Especially as an AI. If you have to go early it's often best to shoot off an adminhelp letting the admins know you've got to go and then suiciding so you're clearly offline to prevent people spamming AI DOOR all day to no response. It technically violates the Third Law and all that poo poo but a braindead AI is probably worse than none, especially if an admin is inclined to replace them if it's been like a minute or two.

Suicide verb being abused isn't a reason to remove suicide, it's a reason to fix the situation that causes the suicide verb to become a murder weapon by giving traitors a different means of killing an AI beyond suicide.

I don't see why taking the extra step to fully suicide is necessary if you've already adminhelped that you're leaving. Can't the admins just force kill you themselves and insert a new guy in your body?

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

pandaK posted:

I don't see why taking the extra step to fully suicide is necessary if you've already adminhelped that you're leaving. Can't the admins just force kill you themselves and insert a new guy in your body?

I think it's simpler to just transfer a ghost into the living AI.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Iretep posted:

Changeling and vampires want it to die really badly if they dont want subversion. A traitor with big plans might want to kill the AI too. You don't always want the AI to die but it is a pretty big eye in the sky that can ruin everything by calling attention to your evil plans.
Also killing the AI is pretty low risk through the suicide law. If you get caught you can just say you wanted to upload a joke law. Usually at most you'll get a 10 minute brig time and lose your toolbox that you can easily replace. If you don't have anything better to do than to prepare for your big plans of killing everyone then trying to kill the AI first is a no brainer I find.

Well OK, nonhumans definitely want it dead because that's a situation where it's totally kosher for the AI to go on a witch hunt for you after a reset because a subverted-and-reset AI still knows that you're nonhuman. It's really quite easy to get along as either of those antags with a live AI if you take sensible precautions like wearing a filled utility belt, but if you're being super-cautious then going for the AI makes sense. I guess the issue comes down to some AIs believing that they have a duty to be an eye in the sky for security instead of a neutral arbiter of fun for all humans and the natural reaction from traitors to that sort of play even though it's rarely that much of a problem, because it will be sometimes and then you're screwed out of fun yourself. I am not sure how to fix that, but the tremendous paranoia about the other person's intentions in these situations is not very healthy considering that usually they are acting in relatively good faith.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Dec 28, 2013

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

pandaK posted:

Can't always do it right away, and a braindead AI is still announcing arrivals and giving off the impression it's alive. It's just as easy to fix a dead AI and transfer someone into it as it is to take a living one and swap someone in, but it takes a moment and a volunteer.

But you're missing the point. Everyone is missing the point. The ideal situation is not all that different than it is now, just without the stupid and niggling intermediary step of the AI player being forced to actually kill themselves with a verb because the uploading player can't simply upload something that kills the AI directly. Yes, it's a fairly minor thing in the grand scheme of things. But it's something that should be taken out of the AI player's hands because it makes no loving sense and it can and has caused drama between poo poo AIs and poo poo AI murderers and it'd be a lot easier for everyone if it were just a killswitch because this is a dumb thing to have to enforce through admin actions when the end result is just "dead AI" which is an entirely legitimate thing for an antagonist to be doing.

All I'm proposing is essentially codifying a widely-tolerated emergent gameplay feature/exploit by just actually letting the AI be killed via its console or whatever. Because the current implementation is halfassed and not really designed around that feature/exploit and it's causing stupidity to happen at times (not all the time, but the problem does not need to be happening every round to deserve a fix). Then suicide can be left for what suicide is always there for, emergencies/quitting/getting dying over with when it's already happening at the prerogative of the player.

The best example I can think of is if people didn't actually die until they typed succumb and could always be revived medically, even though most never actually are. Most of the time it wouldn't be an issue as people would willingly succumb when they realized their situation was hopeless, or they got bored with being in crit, or they just didn't care to wait. But if you needed a person dead for an objective, you'd have to do something dumb like mindslave them to "succumb when you're in critical health" in order to be sure they actually die. It's obviously a workable way of ensuring they succumb, but it's stupid that they don't just die when you murder them.

Klayboxx
Aug 23, 2013

Please pay attention to me :(
So just ban the AI players who do it. Problem solved! Another win for people who don't metagame :c00l:

Literally don't see the problem here. You get to ban those jerk AI's that actually give a poo poo they're getting a kill law, and we the players don't have to deal with them as an AI ever again. If you add a killswitch to the robotics console it's just going to make it trivial to kill the AI, and without ever stepping foot into a guarded room! If you are planning on banning AI players that lock down the room with the killswitch in it every round, what is the difference in just banning the players who refuse to suicide? Changing how the AI dies doesn't change how the poo poo players are going to react to a perceived threat. Infact, it would be BAD if an AI didn't stop you from getting anywhere near their killswitch since they know 100% what you're going to use it for.

To the person who said both sides are exaggerating, I know full well it's only a rare few AI's that actually give any trouble, which is why I'm saying that admins should just take care of the few that do.

e: heh, a guarded room room

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Just remove the suicide verb and people can kill the AI manually if they want it dead. A braindead AFK AI is hilarious and should be left in.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Klayboxx posted:

So just ban the AI players who do it. Problem solved! Another win for people who don't metagame :c00l:

I think admins have in the past said they dont want to deal with stupid drama if they don't have to. I don't think it changes much in the game to just add a module that makes the AI explode if it gets touched by the AI upload computer besides removes the chance of AIs who can't stand the thought of having to kill themselves. Also remove the suicide verb so you can't use that to force a safer kill.

Klayboxx
Aug 23, 2013

Iretep posted:

I think admins have in the past said they dont want to deal with stupid drama if they don't have to. I don't think it changes much in the game to just add a module that makes the AI explode if it gets touched by the AI upload computer besides removes the chance of AIs who can't stand the thought of having to kill themselves. Also remove the suicide verb so you can't use that to force a safer kill.

Yeah gently caress it lets let lovely players continue to be poo poo and not learn their lesson or anything.

Banning people for being blatantly bad isn't dealing with stupid drama.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Iretep posted:

Why add the module? Without suicide-succumb you have a balance between the increased risk of killing the AI manually vs the risks inherent to subverting it. Everyone makes fun of an AI who does almost anything paranoid for being a "p2w shitler" but I HAD TO KILL IT, THE IDEA THAT IT MIGHT GET RESET WAS A RISK TO MY MASSIVELY OVERPOWERED VAMPIRE PLAN is pretty fuckin p2w too!

Clockwork Cupcake
Oct 31, 2010

Nakar posted:

Because there are legitimate reasons that an AI player might want to suicide. Especially as an AI. If you have to go early it's often best to shoot off an adminhelp letting the admins know you've got to go and then suiciding so you're clearly offline to prevent people spamming AI DOOR all day to no response. It technically violates the Third Law and all that poo poo but a braindead AI is probably worse than none, especially if an admin is inclined to replace them if it's been like a minute or two.

Suicide verb being abused isn't a reason to remove suicide, it's a reason to fix the situation that causes the suicide verb to become a murder weapon by giving traitors a different means of killing an AI beyond suicide.

Actually, as it is right now, if the AI suicides and an admin doesn't plop in a replacement, the AI core is 100% dead - you can't revive the core at all once it's powered down, even if you put in a fresh brain. There's seriously no reason to suicide vs. announcing that you're going braindead and just logging out.

e: Also I was the AI from that round with the misspelled suicide law that keeps coming up: if I remember correctly what happened was that the law included "all borgs must use the sucide command" and a borg noticed that but failed to notice all of the clauses about Definitely Not Stating It Ever, so they called the uploader out instead of just not suiciding.

Honestly I think it's a good illustration of why "type suicide + succumb" laws are dumb and could use discouragment. I play AI pretty frequently and I'd be perfectly happy if borgs and the AI lost the suicide command entirely and the AI was added to the killswitch list.

For that matter I think the "kill all cyborgs" objective could use some reworking. As it stands right now you either have to destroy all the possible places to make borgs - and I think we're up to like three locations now - and killswitch / suicide law the borgs, or you can try to give them a fun law with a "suicide as the shuttle arrives" clause and accept that there will be that one borg who's gone braindead or has forgotten about it. Or there's no borgs in the first place. I just think it's too variable and it's difficult to pull off in a way that keeps things fun.

The objective to steal the neural net processor is fine right now, though I rarely see anyone actually complete it compared to assassination objectives. I really liked the idea of adding a syndicate AI core or robot or something that you need to put the neural net in, instead of just stealing it.

Clockwork Cupcake fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Dec 28, 2013

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Klayboxx posted:

Yeah gently caress it lets let lovely players continue to be poo poo and not learn their lesson or anything.

Banning people for being blatantly bad isn't dealing with stupid drama.

You're missing the point like crazy. Look back at the last 5 pages. This is already causing stupid drama because there isn't an agreement on how this should be used, probably because, like Nakar has pointed out, it's an emergent mechanic that was never meant to be used in this way. This isn't about people not learning their lesson or not playing right, it's that there is no way to actually play right. What you say is bad is perfectly acceptable play under a different and entirely legitimate interpretation of the rules. Should you fight a suicide law with logic? Under the reading that you as an AI are welcome to interpret laws as they're written to the letter, yes! Under the reading that you should always follow the established spirit of the law, no! Both of these are reasonable interpretations of the rules and not poo poo in any way. Saying we should just ban AIs that try to resist being murdered is like saying we should ban Captains that don't act like useless idiots as opposed to competent facilitators - both of them are fine takes on how the role should act. Your argument walks a very dangerous path down the way to Goonstation becoming a sort of bizarro Baystation, where if people don't act to our specifications then they get banned from poo poo.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Coolguye posted:

Under the reading that you as an AI are welcome to interpret laws as they're written to the letter, yes!

This is my absolute favorite part of being an AI/Borg. Getting to rampage is fun, but being able to turn on the person who uploaded a poorly worded law is even sweeter. I still think my favorite instance of that was some dude who uploaded a law saying that we had to do everything he told us to (overrode all other laws), and then followed it up by overwriting that law with a law telling the AI and borgs to listen to everything he told us. We were the most attentive robots you'll ever see and we sure hung onto his every word. We weren't empowered to actually do anything about what he said, but we'd drop anything we were doing to listen to him.

Another fun one was a time when some captain had spent three or more rounds in a row uploading a law that forced the borgs/AI to constantly watch over him and keep him safe to the best of their ability. Eventually he slipped up and worded the law too strongly and didn't have any overrides, so we walled him into the upload foyer, retracted all the airbridges, and informed any crew that if they approached him, they were nonhuman and would be killed (as per our law). We let him out after a few minutes and had fun screening our VIP, but it was an object lesson in wording your laws very carefully.

There's also the other obvious fun situation where someone uploads a one human module and uses the wrong name. The mounting horror they feel when they surround themselves with borgs, bark out an order, and then are horribly murdered is hilarious.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Infinite Monkeys posted:

Uploading a suicide law isn't exploiting game mechanics, it's a valid use of the freeform module which was almost certainly expected by whoever added it since it's an incredibly obvious use of a device allowing you to add any law at all to the AI! I'd add a 'kill the ai' module to remove all debate, but people would inevitably destroy or hide it every round and the freeform module works just as well unless the AI is a pedantic, rules lawyering rear end in a top hat.

The way the current system works encourages this.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
It'd be nice if you could be unkilled as an AI so whoever wants you really really dead as a traitor / otherwise has to take a few extra steps like hiding / eating your brain

But really AI sucks and is un-fun for both the person playing it and the people dealing with it. the most useful thing it does is announce when people arrive on station and occasionally open doors.

Spy_Guy
Feb 19, 2013

Urit posted:

That's because the people that do like playing AI are too busy playing it. I've personally never seen these magical suicide laws, and I play AI quite a bit. I just wish I was better at it.

This is the crux of the issue right here.
I play AI a lot as well, and in all that time I have gotten a suicide law exactly once. What we're seeing here are a bunch of loud people arguing about a non-issue.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Easiest ways to fix this mess, that I think we can all agree on:

- Add a killswitch button that powers down the AI and put it with the Cyborg killswitches. Bonus points: Make it just deactivate the cameras, so you can still deploy to shell like a borg, and make it cancellable, like the killswitches are.

(In other words, the cameras disconnect immediately. The AI can still deploy to a shell. This removes the ability of the AI to see everything without actually removing the AI. You could still kill it by powering it down the hard way or bombing it or whatever.)

- Remove the suicide command from AIs. If you really want an AI dead that way, make 'em shut off the APC and piss away the 7500 power units they have.

- Make patting the AI instead push this handy reset button most computers have:

It'd reboot the AI, undo activated killswitches, and reconnect it to the network, disrupting its activities for a few seconds (optional).

This way you solve a bunch of problems:

- Killing the AI sucks
- You can't fix the AI once it's dead, even if you repair or rebrain it
- Suicide laws are stupid and frequently rules-laywered out of

It'd also mean that if an AI gets bombed, there's an actual reason to try to get to the core to repair it, because it can be reactivated! :allears:

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go
Jesus loving christ, are you guys STILL arguing about this AI poo poo?

I'll work on adding the AI to the robotics console killswitch thing and I'll leave it in the mainframe room.
Here's the one reason I want to do this: to get more fights happening in that room when the AI starts screaming bloody murder about only having thirty seconds left to live, which will hopefully bring angry mobs running down that narrow airbridge into a bunch of fun.

I'm also considering adding a thing so that using the suicide verb as the AI will do this, instead of straight up death:

• Suicide - succumb
  • Automatic message alert to the crew that the AI has bluescreened and must power down
  • AI job slot opens back up and becomes late-joinable a few minutes later
  • A late join player can come in and see "oh, hey, the AI slot is open" and take over
  • Crew gets an alert that the AI has finished power-cycling or whatever

I feel like these two things would address a lot of the concerns people've had in a pretty useful way. Forcing the AI to bluescreen-suicide would remain a pretty useful tactic for getting rid of a meddling AI for awhile until a new one who has no idea what you've been up to shows up after a short no-join window. Killswitch would keep the jobslot dead, but it'd also give the AI and the crew about a minute or so to respond to an always-exciting countdown.

e: also, gently caress it, let's give vox back to the AIs
that'll sure go along well with a killswitch button

Dr. Cogwerks fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Dec 28, 2013

Bahumat
Oct 11, 2012
In a more happy story for AI's, a couple of days ago as Captain, I heard the AI asking for presents from Santa. Well, I'd gotten a horseshoe from my present, so I silently wandered into the upload to deliver it. As I got up to the core area, the AI understandably turned on his stun turrets and stunned the tar out of me. I simply dropped the horseshoe and crawled back out of the upload, whispering 'here's your preeeessseeennntttt' as I recovered from the stun.

All in all, the AI didn't do anything until it looked like I might POSSIBLY be being dodgy, and then only nonlethally. He was a good AI, and was happy with his useless present from the Captain. I then ordered some medkits from the QM, and dragged them everywhere to heal people (including the santas) of their random injuries. Was fun.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Isilkor posted:

What I haven't seen at all is "I like playing AI, it's my favorite job".

I like playing AI. It's my favorite job. Juggling several tasks at once while sticking to a gimmick (if any) is enjoyable, as is facilitating research via budget transfers and/or trying to figure out creative ways to fulfill an "x is the only human, murder everyone else" law when there aren't many borgs around (turns out, I don't need to do anything, I can just wait for Andrey to nuke the whole station again).

I've also never been ordered to suicide, and I wouldn't mind at all if I was. Traitors gotta have fun too, and the AI is a fun-facilitator (or an annoyance to have fun raging at, depending on gimmick/uploaded laws). I just think there have to be more entertaining alternatives to the AI quietly becoming a ghost amidst the desperate cries of "AI DOOR!", and was having fun brainstorming with other people who are doing the same.

FAKE EDIT:
I think another part of the problem is that newer, inexperienced AIs may not realize they can turn off their microphones with the radio tab so they can have a polite conversation with someone entering and/or hacking their upload without alerting the entire station (I know it took me a few plays to figure that out). Just acknowledging that yes, you know someone's there and that you're not going to be a massive dick about it is a good way to tell a traitor that you're willing to play along with any fun/interesting/silly things they want to try.

Dirk the Average posted:

followed it up by overwriting that law with a law telling the AI and borgs to listen to everything he told us. We were the most attentive robots you'll ever see and we sure hung onto his every word. We weren't empowered to actually do anything about what he said, but we'd drop anything we were doing to listen to him.

I was the AI that round. That was a good day. :allears:

Edit:

Bahumat posted:

'here's your preeeessseeennntttt'

You're a good person.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Dec 28, 2013

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Bahumat posted:

In a more happy story for AI's, a couple of days ago as Captain, I heard the AI asking for presents from Santa. Well, I'd gotten a horseshoe from my present, so I silently wandered into the upload to deliver it. As I got up to the core area, the AI understandably turned on his stun turrets and stunned the tar out of me. I simply dropped the horseshoe and crawled back out of the upload, whispering 'here's your preeeessseeennntttt' as I recovered from the stun.

All in all, the AI didn't do anything until it looked like I might POSSIBLY be being dodgy, and then only nonlethally. He was a good AI, and was happy with his useless present from the Captain. I then ordered some medkits from the QM, and dragged them everywhere to heal people (including the santas) of their random injuries. Was fun.

"Give the AI presents" needs to be a thing people do more often. I remember a round when the AI was getting tons of AI DOOR bullshit and started complaining a bit. The chef brought it a slice of cake to show that he appreciated its hard work, and it was so surprised that it let him right into the upload to deliver it. He told it that it was doing a great job and it sincerely returned the compliment :3:

That cake just sat there on the floor, but drat if the AI wasn't pleased as punch to know it was there.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
I've always been kind of surprised that the AI doesn't have access to things like the ;, :h, etc. prefixes for its radios. It'd make having a private conversation a bit easier, as well as any communication on aux channels if you wanted to do that.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
There should be a shrine to the AI somewhere, maybe replacing the jazz lounge or adjacent to the chapel?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

WarpedNaba posted:

There should be a shrine to the AI somewhere, maybe replacing the jazz lounge or adjacent to the chapel?

A gimmick round where the AI spawns in the chapel would be hilarious.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

Sweet! You rule Cogwerks.

Hotwire
Mar 11, 2006

hehehe
I'd say AI is my favorite job, just to weigh in. If only because I like thinking of ways to delay traitors but not completely incapacitate them (Asked to bolt down a room to trap them, but there are other folks in there? Well, I can't bolt ALL those doors, they might take hostages! I can, however, bolt all doors except the one that leads into a maintenance corridor or the like)

That and dropping vague hints depending on the round if I see something. Changeling sucking out someone's precious fluids in a dark, secluded area they worked to get to? I'll tell the crew repeatedly that they should probably start to think about missing people. And if their work colleagues are who they say they are, so on and so forth.

Saying this, I very rarely get people in my upload, and if I do ever see a human figure, it's usually someone decked out in mining gear lobbing hacked mining charges at my walls, then at my APU, then at my core.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Captain Bravo posted:

I think that due to the concerns other players have voiced, if we're going to go through the trouble of changing up the dynamics of eliminating the AI, we might as well go whole hog and see if there is an acceptable alternative to killing at all. Leave killing as a definite possibility, for anyone with a grudge and a PDA fulla pipebombs, but add in other nonlethal options to accomplish the same goals.

Objectives: Brand the Chaplain with a red-hot rubber stamp. Obtain the combination for the Detective's wall safe.

...I was going to add the rest of the nonlethal options from Dishonored, but they don't really translate well.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
I like playing AI. It's my favorite job. Though I miss when the AI had more ways to destroy the station. Like flooding the station with plasma. :supaburn:

JTG
Feb 19, 2008
to take a steak knife and slice my dick off. I'll start sliding it back and forth along the side of the shaft slicing in deeper and deeper with each successive cut.
Give the AI a special reward if someone decides to take its mainframe out and put it into a cyborg or human body, and activate it.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

JTG posted:

Give the AI a special reward if someone decides to take its mainframe out and put it into a cyborg or human body, and activate it.
"Bicentennial Man" medal for being put into a human body.

Lallander
Sep 11, 2001

When a problem comes along,
you must whip it.

Iretep posted:

I like playing AI. It's my favorite job. Though I miss when the AI had more ways to destroy the station. Like flooding the station with plasma. :supaburn:

Ah yes the glory days of AI. I fondly remember a malf round long ago. I was able to convince the crew that a traitor wearing a mask was running around releasing plasma. While they were trying to reset atmos and track him down I stoked the engine up to max. If I remember correctly I convinced the engine team to help out for efficiency sake then catapulted them in and locked it as they were overloading it. By the time the countdown hit and the station knew I just opened every door, bolted them open, and unleashed the flames of hell. I am fairly certain I had every square of the station ablaze by the end.

Matty
Oct 29, 2010
This was alot of pages of silly unneeded arguments

Sekret
Dec 6, 2001
Curse you, Massive Genitals!

Matty posted:

This was alot of pages of silly unneeded arguments

This is a silly unneeded post.

Unrelated: once I get back from winter break, I have a couple features hacked into r4407 that I'd like to show someone. Should I throw pictures or whatever up here, or on the ss13 forums?

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Sekret posted:

This is a silly unneeded post.

Unrelated: once I get back from winter break, I have a couple features hacked into r4407 that I'd like to show someone. Should I throw pictures or whatever up here, or on the ss13 forums?
I'd probably go to the actual forums, or maybe contact a coder directly so you can talk with them about it. Maybe drop into IRC?

Klayboxx
Aug 23, 2013

Even though this won't change much, and I don't like the AI job slot opening, a traitor holding down the room with the robotics console in it as security pours in sounds fun as hell. Even though now that room will be locked 24/7 and won't be opened except half the time a captain asks, but oh well.

e: also gently caress yeah, VOX.
e2: So with this potential change, can we move the reset module somewhere else then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

Woop woop rear end clown in upload woop woop

• Locked thread