Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012
I've got a similar question to Pan Ache's, but it's regarding Vintage instead of Legacy: there's a full-proxy Vintage event I might be able to go to, and I was wondering what deck you guys would recommend to someone who has essentially zero experience with the eternal formats, has only been playing since M13/RTR (dabbling in a few of the DotP games before that), and primarily plays draft?

I know that being a proxy tournament, this event allows an opportunity for me to get to play with the most powerful and expensive cards in Magic and as far as I know, control is the archetype that embodies that, but I don't think it would be a good idea for me to play control since I don't know the card base at all. I was thinking about MUD since that's pretty straightforward aggro, but I heard it has decently high variance. So, if anyone has any recommendations, I'm all ears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

long.dec

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Zoness posted:

Here's a LED one and here's a Manaless one.

Progenitus is a bit of fancy 'tech' to make it so that you don't lose to getting multiple narcomoebas in your hand with no Bridges in your graveyard as you try to go off (i.e. not enough creatures to cast two Dread Returns after milling your library). It gives you another draw step (or a couple depending on cards left in hand to pitch Progenitus with Phantasmagorian) to not lose after which all your nether shadows and ichorids enter the battlefield and let you dread return Flayer and Grave-Troll. If you're feeling like you want more initial consistency and less insurance against worst-case mill scenarios then drop the Progenitus for a fourth Balustrade Spy.

How big a hit would I take swapping Sphinxes in for Griselbrands?

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012
I found this decklist for Long, which needs some revisions since it's got 4x LED & Brainstorm. Would you recommend working off of this, or something more current like Burning Oath? Should I also try and fit in Hurkyl's Recall against decks running Thorn of Amethyst and other decelerators? Any other advice on piloting the deck?

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Pan Ache posted:

I've been looking at learning doomsday tendrils

I play this deck. Not only is it the hardest deck in Legacy, it is also a serious pain in the rear end. This is the only deck I've ever played where I might end a four round tournament with a headache. Imagine how I felt at the end of GP DC. The deck can be rewarding, but I've been playing it for the last six months or so, and that is only scratching the surface of learning the deck properly. I'm still learning.

Tl;dr play something else unless you want to devote your life to mastering this deck

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

What a Judas posted:

I play this deck. Not only is it the hardest deck in Legacy, it is also a serious pain in the rear end. This is the only deck I've ever played where I might end a four round tournament with a headache. Imagine how I felt at the end of GP DC. The deck can be rewarding, but I've been playing it for the last six months or so, and that is only scratching the surface of learning the deck properly. I'm still learning.

Tl;dr play something else unless you want to devote your life to mastering this deck

(I'm kidding What a Judas ilu)

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

AgentSythe posted:

(I'm kidding What a Judas ilu)

I wasn't playing Doomsday yet!

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
You have to start simple, with something like Solidarity :getin:

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Just play Dredge. You know you want to.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Sampatrick posted:

Just play Dredge. You know you want to.

Dredge is awesome because even if you don't do well, you'll at least have ruined someone's day.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Zoness posted:

Dredge is awesome because even if you don't do well, you'll at least have ruined someone's day.

Most fast combos can do that, but somehow it's even more likely with Dredge. A buddy of mine played Beeri0s (Cheeri0s with Beck//Call in addition to Glimpse, also we optimized and heavily tested the list over beers) at SCG Minneapolis, killed an ANT player t1 twice, and the guy almost refused to shake his hand. It was hilarious.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

I've yet to kill someone t1 with dredge (mostly because there isn't much opportunity for me to play it), but I am looking forward to the day it finally happens.

Shavnir
Apr 5, 2005

A MAN'S DREAM CAN NEVER DIE

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Most fast combos can do that, but somehow it's even more likely with Dredge. A buddy of mine played Beeri0s (Cheeri0s with Beck//Call in addition to Glimpse, also we optimized and heavily tested the list over beers) at SCG Minneapolis, killed an ANT player t1 twice, and the guy almost refused to shake his hand. It was hilarious.

Can you post his 75? That sounds wonderful / hilarious.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Shavnir posted:

Can you post his 75? That sounds wonderful / hilarious.

I'm not sure I have his exact since it's been a while since we built it, but it's similar to this:

4 Glimpse
3 Beck//Call
2 Scapegoat
4 Elvish Spirit Guide
4 Lotus Petal
1 Gemstone Mine
4(?) Summoner's Pact
1(?) Mox Opal
1 Wild Cantor
1 Grapeshot (Lab Maniac in SB for game 2, sometimes both g2/3)
4 Street Wraith
4 Gitaxian Probe
A Whole Buncha' Cheerios

Keys to not fizzling: Always remember to announce triggers. Always use GitPro or Wraith before playing a Cheerio until you have the second Glimpse effect online, then save them as long as possible to you don't deck yourself if your wincon is in your last few cards of your deck.

To be fair, he also had some really cool opponents at the tourney too, including a poor guy playing Death and Taxes who never got to play, and spent his time counting storm to keep himself busy, and a Countertop player who had to top, fetch, top, fetch, top to find a two-drop for Beck//Call and had a blast sweating it out. My buddy actually did better than I did (playing Burrito) record-wise, but I played pretty badly a few times.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Zoness posted:

I never did understand why people hate Dredge so much. It's a cool deck, what's not to love about it?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Sampatrick posted:

I never did understand why people hate Dredge so much. It's a cool deck, what's not to love about it?

Dredge is one of the most solitaire-style decks in MtG. Even more than SnT or Storm.

Think about it like this: How do you normally break up other combo decks?

Targeted discard? Don't make me laugh.
Force of Will? Dredge can win without ever casting a spell.
Wasteland+Port? Dredge doesn't care.

Dredge requires specific hosers to stop it and might just draw the nuts and win anyway.

It can be fun to play occasionally, but when you are sitting accross the table from it, you are often just wondering whether or not they just randomed a hand that beats yours regardless of how or what you play.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Toshimo posted:

Dredge is one of the most solitaire-style decks in MtG. Even more than SnT or Storm.

Think about it like this: How do you normally break up other combo decks?

Targeted discard? Don't make me laugh.
Force of Will? Dredge can win without ever casting a spell.
Wasteland+Port? Dredge doesn't care.

Dredge requires specific hosers to stop it and might just draw the nuts and win anyway.

It can be fun to play occasionally, but when you are sitting accross the table from it, you are often just wondering whether or not they just randomed a hand that beats yours regardless of how or what you play.

You break up dredge with cards like Deathrite Shaman and similar. Nowadays there is more interaction in the match up than you would expect.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Sampatrick posted:

You break up dredge with cards like Deathrite Shaman and similar. Nowadays there is more interaction in the match up than you would expect.

There's also bolting your own creatures to exile their bridges!

vvv I dunno - I've been mostly running manaless since I'm still working on getting my LED's for the mana'd version. Offhand I'd think losing Grizzlebee's is a pretty big loss because options, but Sphinx is probably fine if you're okay with only dredging like, 15-18 cards off a dread return.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Dec 24, 2013

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Toshimo posted:

How big a hit would I take swapping Sphinxes in for Griselbrands?

Zoness....

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Toshimo posted:

I have obviously never played a game of Legacy

Dude, there are tons of ways to interact with Dredge, intelligent use of counters and removal can disrupt or completely stop their engine and win you the game.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Dec 24, 2013

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Hauki posted:

Yo, I moved to denver like 6 mos. ago and have no idea what/where any of the good shops are. Suggestions? I have a couple legacy and modern decks built although I haven't played either format in some time. Otherwise I draft or cube, used to play standard but haven't kept up since theros release.

The places to go in the Denver Metro area that I know of are Denver Central Games in southeast Denver for weekly Legacy and Modern events (and draft every day of the week) and Black Gold in Littleton for weekly Legacy and 10-card proxy Vintage events that happen once a month. I also recommend going to Colorado Card & Coin in Arvada if you want to pick up other eternal-format cards as well.

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

I can't wait to bomb DO-DON-GOES!
Here's a theory question: just tried loving around on cockatrice for the first time in a year so I decided to run something simple like fish while trying to learn the ui and gameflow again. Most games were vs death and taxes. Guy wanted to play a different deck so I tried to load up jund.

How does jund play this matchup? It seems like death and taxes has enough ways to interrupt your plan early that few of my cards were just direct outs. A few times I had to choose between things like laying lili unprotected or developing my board, or hitting him with hymn. In general, I was just inexperienced with the deck and there were enough viable lines that I didn't know what plays were relevant.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
Does anyone that reads this thread play Splinter Twin in Modern?

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

ScarletBrother posted:

I played a match against a guy who used Splinter Twin with Deceiver Exarch. A cheap combo, but my tactic involved using Myr Galvanizer with Myr Propagator and Palladium Myr so I'm not a liberty to complain.

I lost that round, but I still won the match. :c00lbert:

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

ScarletBrother posted:

I started playing just a stock UR version a few months ago.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
I'm currently building this list:

Creatures (12)
2 Spellskite
4 Deceiver Exarch
4 Pestermite
3 Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker

Lands (23)
3 Island
1 Mountain
1 Breeding Pool
1 Cascade Bluffs
1 Desolate Lighthouse
4 Misty Rainforest
4 Scalding Tarn
4 Steam Vents
4 Sulfur Falls

Spells (25)
4 Splinter Twin
4 Boomerang
4 Dispel
4 Remand
4 Serum Visions
4 Sleight of Hand

Sideboard
3 Blood Moon
3 Ancient Grudge
2 Combust
1 Counterflux
3 Mizzium Skin
3 Anger of the God's

I like to keep copies of other maindeck and sideboard cards handy to switch around depending on matchups I anticipate, but I have no idea where to start with this deck. I don't even know how to sideboard. Any advice?

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Don't play 4 copies of sulfur falls

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Sampatrick posted:

Don't play 4 copies of sulfur falls

What would you run instead? A basic?

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

ScarletBrother posted:

What would you run instead? A basic?

I'd use Shivan Reef, I play those in my Storm deck, since I am too cheap for fetches and need lands that come untapped. The life loss may or may not be relevant.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Has anyone played that W/R Twin deck that was floating around in this thread awhile ago? I'm looking to pick something up for GP Richmond, but do not play a lot of Modern so I have no idea wtf. I know about the major decks (and might just fold and slap together Tron) but if anyone played that deck in particular, some insight would be cool.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

AgentSythe posted:

Has anyone played that W/R Twin deck that was floating around in this thread awhile ago? I'm looking to pick something up for GP Richmond, but do not play a lot of Modern so I have no idea wtf. I know about the major decks (and might just fold and slap together Tron) but if anyone played that deck in particular, some insight would be cool.

I did some testing of it a while back-

Gravy Train Robber posted:

I just got done testing W/R Twin earlier today with a buddy. Didn't try the mirror/with U/R Twin, but tested against UWR Control and had a really good matchup pre and post board.

I've not got a lot of experience either playing twin or playing against it, but the list seemed pretty solid over a couple matches. I like that it wasn't as all-in on the combo, and had the ability to out tempo/have some resilience other than the main plan.

It was a blast to play, and I'd really like to hear some other testing feedback from players better than myself before I start thinking of building it in paper.

But haven't touched it since, really. I'm not entirely certain its worth cutting blue in favour of white in the majority of matchups. I do most of my eternal testing in Cockatrice, and haven't seen the deck crop up at all besides the time right after GP Antwerp.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I think it was mostly a meta-decision of making a twin version that does better against Jund/Affinity. I'm not sure about those matchups in particular but W/R twin has a better beatdown plan than U/R twin and arguably better removal against big guys.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Dec 31, 2013

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

WR Twin also notably has both Silence and Dawn Charm available to it to protect its combo, and a nice roadblock in Big Recks that can also do some combo-winning of his own with a Harvest Pyre here and there.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

please spread the nickname "Big Recks." Some other possibilities: Recks Ryan, Deus Recks, Bang a Gong (Get it on) - T. Recks

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

AgentSythe posted:

please spread the nickname "Big Recks." Some other possibilities: Recks Ryan, Deus Recks, Bang a Gong (Get it on) - T. Recks

Naya midrange with Deus of Calamity, Reckoner, and some artifacts = Deus Recks Machina

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

AgentSythe posted:

I know I started it in my area (2 shops), but recently I heard two people who I've never played playing and one called the other's reckoner "Big Recks" so I think it's taking.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

AgentSythe posted:

Personally I'm a fan of Recking Bull.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

So anyone, building off of that W/R Twin post: is anyone planning on going to GP Richmond? Additionally, does anyone test Modern with any regularity on Cockatrice? I just got it all set up and I can keep track of usernames in this post if we want to get a test group together. I'll start with mine.

Cool Dudes with Rad 'Tudes
lithiux
GTRobber
IDDQD

Johnny Five-Jaces fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jan 8, 2014

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
I do a lot of Modern testing on Cockatrice, as GTRobber. I haven't really been on recently, but would be happy to help test if a time got set up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KasaiAisu
May 3, 2010

Ask me about zoning laws in videogames
So I've been wanting to play faeries in Legacy because I love bitterblossom, been tinkering around with a decklist:
3x Gitaxian Probe
3x Cabal Therapy
4x Hymn to Tourach
4x Bitterblossom
4x Spellstutter Sprite
3x Vendilion Clique
2x Scion of Oona
1x Mistbind Clique
2x Umezawa's Jitte
2x Jace, the Mind Sculptor
3x Daze
3x Spell Pierce
4x Ancestral Vision

22x lands of questionable origin

I'm trying to decide if spot removal like Go for the Throat or something would be better than Daze, mostly since I hate drawing daze lategame and running it means I have to run islands, which means lots of :20bux:. Otherwise I could run like Darkslick Shores and Secluded Glen.

Basic logic is:
Cabal Therapy gets fed easily by Bitterblossom
Scion of Oona is totally legacy playable I promise
Ancestral Vision costs less than Bob
Mind Sculptor and Hymn are too good not to run also I have the jaces already

Thoughts?

• Locked thread