Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kas
Sep 9, 2003
I am a snoot.

Peanut President posted:

^How does 4's work? Soldier/Medic/Demo/Scout?

I have seen precisely 2 games were engies were being annoying with the short circuit. I don't understand all the screaming about it.

My experience with the short circuit thus far is most engineers using it run in like some sort of rambo-wannabe saving their metal for the circuit instead of building things and contributing to the team, flail wildly in the face of a random soldier or demoman and mildly inconveniences them for a few seconds or maybe, if they're really lucky, kills the soldier or demoman because they forget they have shotgun/swords, and then dies spectacularly in a hail of regular bullets from the rest of the opposing team since they're completely garbage at comparative offense and defense without their sentries compared to most any class but maybe a medic. Then they wait to respawn while their nonexistent sentry/easily killed and not rebuilt token mini/teleporters do nothing because they didn't build them in the first place so they could lazor-zapgun, and do it again, continuing to waste their spot on the team. Occasionally they do this while on a cart and still die to snipers, spies, heavies, pyros and scouts because seriously most tf2 players are terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
So now that my gameplay performance has significantly increased after solving a minor computer issue, I just came back from a session where I was using my favorite combat class loadout - black box, gunboats, and disciplinary action.

I wound up getting a 21 killstreak with it. :stare:

I think the first killstreak weapon I should get should be a black box. I already have a strange one that I use. Is it possible for me to transform it into a killstreak weapon?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Spacedad posted:

So now that my gameplay performance has significantly increased after solving a minor computer issue, I just came back from a session where I was using my favorite combat class loadout - black box, gunboats, and disciplinary action.

I think the first killstreak weapon I should get should be a black box. I already have a strange one that I use. Is it possible for me to transform it into a killstreak weapon?

Yes, actually fairly easily. You need a Killstreak Kit, either the standard (which just counts kills), Specialized (which counts kills and causes the weapon to glow as you gain kills) or the rarest and most valuable, Professional Killstreak Kit, which causes your eyes to glow like an unusual after a certain amount of kills. The new MVM tours drop kit fabricators and robot parts, and combining large quantities of both gets you a kit (and somewhat confusingly, a specialized kit always requires a standard killstreak weapon, and a professional always requires two specialized ones), however you can purchase or trade for kits and or fabricator kits and parts on the Steam Community Market.

Once you have a kit it can be applied to any existing weapon you have (so, I could put my SL kit on my existing strange SL).

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Reiley posted:

I can't believe that this is true since they have an event that triggers a literal special reflect-kill icon in the kill feed, and they even have unique art for every kind of projectile. The game obviously can tell when X reflect-kills Y.

When you reflect a projectile, that projectile's "source player" is you but its "source weapon" is an imaginary copy of the original weapon. Basically, as far as the game is concerned, "player A" reflect-killed "player B" with a rocket launcher. It's coded that way for stupid reasons (for instance: it's somehow the only way that a black-box projectile knows to heal the "person who fired it" on hit).

This is also why a pyro with no killstreak weapons can start a killstreak if they reflect a rocket from a killstreak launcher.

This is also why a pyro can't equip a "healing done" part on his flamethrower: milk-reflects and crossbow-reflects and blackbox-reflects can cause healing, but the credit for the healing doesn't go to the flamethrower, it goes to a nonexistent crossbow or mad milk.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Dec 29, 2013

cuddlenaps
Dec 9, 2012

o bother

IronicDongz posted:

Because timing a reflect to hit someone is harder than just clicking m1 as soldier?

Are you arguing that playing soldier is easier than pyro? You've played with some really lovely soldiers, then.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
Pocket Soldiers are typically going to be leading the charge of their team, and roamers will use the high ground as often as possible, neither of which are ideal situations to get much usage out of the reflect mechanic. You can dominate a closed space with good timing and also prevent your Medic from taking explosive damage with it, but that's about the extent of its' usefulness in high-level play.

So with that in mind, it makes sense that you get a little bonus for managing to both reflect a rocket and have it actually hit someone.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

After playing exclusively MvM for a while, I've realized that I'm kind of bad at playing against people. Or I keep running into people who are a lot better than I am, which is a possibility.
The game modes aren't extremely dissimilar. For example, you never want to over-extend -- but in MvM, that's as easy as "Do not run into the giant horde of robots."

Spacedad posted:

I saw someone named Spacedad on the last server I was on, half an hour ago or so. Was that you? It was a Badwater payload server; you played Engie and Black Box solly, and I was the fairly ineffective medic who kritzed you right before we lost the round.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Solumin posted:

I saw someone named Spacedad on the last server I was on, half an hour ago or so. Was that you? It was a Badwater payload server; you played Engie and Black Box solly, and I was the fairly ineffective medic who kritzed you right before we lost the round.

Probably - if it is the round I was thinking of, we had problems with maintaining momentum due to the team basically lining up single file for two snapshot pro snipers to dunk them.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Spacedad posted:

Probably - if it is the round I was thinking of, we had problems with maintaining momentum due to the team basically lining up single file for two snapshot pro snipers to dunk them.

Yeah, the team kept melting thanks to the snipers and the roamers who worked their way behind us. It wasn't exactly a steamroll, but almost no one was staying on the cart.

I remember another big problem was a heavy+medic combo that controlled the corridor by the Roof.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Solumin posted:

Yeah, the team kept melting thanks to the snipers and the roamers who worked their way behind us. It wasn't exactly a steamroll, but almost no one was staying on the cart.

I remember another big problem was a heavy+medic combo that controlled the corridor by the Roof.

Yeah our team was basically scattered everywhere with newbies that would come single file one at a time to get creamed without doing any teamwork. I kept trying to assist them and keep the snipers busy but it wasn't enough. They also hardly every looked behind them so all kinds of stuff would flank them.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Spacedad posted:

Black Box loving owns gently caress any one who hates. I had the hardest problem working around this odd feeling that the stock RL was like 10 feet long when I was learning to rocket jump. The Black Box is like the size of a ruler and does not block my view at all. Also it owns for roaming and you use my favorite loadout minus The Equalizer.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

MeinGott posted:

Black Box loving owns gently caress any one who hates. I had the hardest problem working around this odd feeling that the stock RL was like 10 feet long when I was learning to rocket jump. The Black Box is like the size of a ruler and does not block my view at all. Also it owns for roaming and you use my favorite loadout minus The Equalizer.

You mean you don't have a viewmodel toggle key?

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
I have all viewmodels except for melee weapons disabled. While I enjoy having all the extra screen retail space (especially when some reload animations obscure your view), there's some psychological effect of losing the feeling that I'm actually shooting a gun that causes my aim to be a little worse. It's weird and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone unless they really wanted that extra viewing room.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Worldview viewmodels are the way to go. They don't get in the way, but they still exist. I can't go back to normal viewmodels anymore, it feels weird, like the scattergun is strapped to my face.

Bonus: if you're using worldview viewmodels and you forget what weapon you're holding, you actually look down to check, which is fun and immersive. Also, little platforming things are easier sometimes when you can see your feet.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

miscellaneous14 posted:

I have all viewmodels except for melee weapons disabled. While I enjoy having all the extra screen retail space (especially when some reload animations obscure your view), there's some psychological effect of losing the feeling that I'm actually shooting a gun that causes my aim to be a little worse. It's weird and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone unless they really wanted that extra viewing room.
I use brosels crosshairswitcher specifically to disable everything but melee viewmodels on most classes I play. :psyduck:

Peanut President posted:

I have seen precisely 2 games were engies were being annoying with the short circuit. I don't understand all the screaming about it.
Maybe it's the servers you blacklist, but this has been nothing short of a Short Circuit Plague for me. Did you piss someone off playing decently as a demo/soldier? Prepare to have all your strengths effectively neutered with no skill on their part. Demo has it worst for sure, but it's unfair even to a soldier because you have NO option but to deal with the spamming engie with your shotgun. If a buffed heavy comes around a distant corner you can't rocketjump away, you have to stay and fight that engie and hope you have enough health to jump away after fighting the engie and eating that grazing minigun damage (i.e. yer gun' die.)

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Reiley posted:

I can't believe that this is true since they have an event that triggers a literal special reflect-kill icon in the kill feed, and they even have unique art for every kind of projectile. The game obviously can tell when X reflect-kills Y.

Computer Scientist with a loose grasp on Valve coding here:

As others have said, reflected projectiles still have the original weapon as the source. As such, it's easy to say "if a pyro got a kill with a rocket launcher, display the rocket launcher icon"

It's different entirely to say "if a pyro got a kill with a rocket launcher, instead of adding a kill to the rocket launcher, add it to the weapon that the pyro has as his main"

It sounds dumb but the simplest things in code can be pretty huge to implement.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

From the funhavers caroling bonanza:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJre_v5G_bc
(edit: Aww, it didn't render what i wanted it to render - I'll have to remake this later)

According to the replay record, I managed to kill 8 people in that vid - mostly with the fun-destroying mini sentry.

I have a bunch more of these I'll be rendering out.

Also I have that 21 black box killstreak saved as a replay. :stare:

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Dec 29, 2013

A shrubbery!
Jan 16, 2009
I LOOK DOWN ON MY REAL LIFE FRIENDS BECAUSE OF THEIR VIDEO GAME PURCHASING DECISIONS.

I'M THAT MUCH OF AN INSUFFERABLE SPERGLORD

cuddlenaps posted:

Are you arguing that playing soldier is easier than pyro? You've played with some really lovely soldiers, then.

I don't think so, just that it's easier to fire a rocket in a way that damages somebody than it is to reflect a rocket in a way that damages somebody.

bara godzilla
Jul 27, 2010

Ditocoaf posted:

Worldview viewmodels are the way to go. They don't get in the way, but they still exist. I can't go back to normal viewmodels anymore, it feels weird, like the scattergun is strapped to my face.

Bonus: if you're using worldview viewmodels and you forget what weapon you're holding, you actually look down to check, which is fun and immersive. Also, little platforming things are easier sometimes when you can see your feet.

Worldview models own until you play Soldier.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Dalton posted:

That poo poo is garbage :barf:

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Tried quickplay for the first time in an age. Have you ever wondered where your team was, died, and seen your entire team in a single perfectly timed frame?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Is quickplay still totally and completely over-bloated with bullshit servers where literally 20 of the 24 people playing are disguised bots and ads happen every 3 minutes?

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

ninjewtsu posted:

Is quickplay still totally and completely over-bloated with bullshit servers where literally 20 of the 24 people playing are disguised bots and ads happen every 3 minutes?

I'd say it's not as bad as it used to be, but you still do run into those servers more frequently than is acceptable while using quickplay. I'm just baffled why it doesn't give priority to Valve servers since that's where it should be sending just about everyone.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

miscellaneous14 posted:

I'd say it's not as bad as it used to be, but you still do run into those servers more frequently than is acceptable while using quickplay. I'm just baffled why it doesn't give priority to Valve servers since that's where it should be sending just about everyone.
I suppose one reason could be that you'd never get to play anything at all via quickplay when Valve decides five or two Valve servers is good enough for TF2. Today whenever I took a peek with no search filters but Valve in the search bar it was just two, a full Attack/Defense server (40 ping for me) and an empty King of the hill (330 ping for me).

A quick check now and it's still just those two Valve showing up for me.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

miscellaneous14 posted:

I'm just baffled why it doesn't give priority to Valve servers since that's where it should be sending just about everyone.
It should as far as I know. The problem is that almost all Valve servers croaked over the holidays and it seems nobody at Valve works during December so it hasn't been fixed.

About the Short Circuit, it has spawned an entire new breed of hilarious W+M1 retards. Had an engie run straight at me convinced that a demoman would be an easy kill with the SC. I just stood still waiting for him to run up close, then pulled out the caber.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

cuddlenaps posted:

Soldier obviously has a way higher skill ceiling than pyro, but I'm not talking about comparing a pro-level soldier to a reflecting pyro, I'm saying the bare minimum skill required to get kills as soldiers is lower than the bare minimum skill required to get reflect kills as pyro. If you throw someone who's not played tf2 before into a game and tell/show them what soldier can do and what pyro can do, I guarantee they will be getting rocket kills as soldier before getting reflect kills as pyro.

e: also I would still love if someone has heard of anything similar to my framerate issue/a fix for it :shobon:

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Dec 29, 2013

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Supposedly all the Valve servers were switched over to MVM because of everyone getting a free Tour of Duty ticket. It makes some sense, because a shortage of MVM servers is incredibly obnoxious when you want to play, but it also screws over any newbies who decide to play this time of year. Of course pubstompers do that too, but not as badly as Pinion and trade (and Pinion trade) servers do. Of course I've only been playing for a year and a half so maybe the pubstompers have always been this bad and I never noticed because for a long time I was bad enough that random newbies also crushed me ruthlessly.

Speaking of newbies in Valve servers, I try my best to help them get better, and not by yelling at them/killing them repeatedly. There's some things that I say often enough that I should probably make console aliases for them.

alias "protip" "say PROTIP! If you haven't done it yet, go into Advanced Options and turn on the following:; wait 100; say Automatic Reload, Fast Weapon Switching, Hitsound, and Damage Numbers."
alias "prounlock" "say PROTIP! Unlockable weapons are sidegrades at best, and often outright worse than the stock weapons (except for melee weapons).; wait 100; say If someone is killing you repeatedly with an unlocked gun, it's probably because of skill and not the gun."
alias "proengie" "say PROTIP! Engineers, your most important building is a teleporter (entrance AND exit), followed by an accessible dispenser.; wait 100; say Getting teammates to the front quickly (teleporter), and keeping them there (dispenser); wait 100; say is more helpful than bringing more firepower (sentry gun).; wait 10; say Also, a level 1 teleporter or dispenser near the front is infinitely more useful than a level 3 at spawn."

Suggesting that people go Soldier is a bit more delicate because that's pretty much saying "you're bad, put on training wheels" so I don't feel like I can use a script for that.

edit: okay that SHOULD work, but it seems like the "wait" command stopped working.
edit2: okay apparently you need more than 10 ms between each "say" on top of the "some servers have wait disabled" thing.

Abyssal Squid fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Dec 29, 2013

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dalton posted:

Or huntsman sniper.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Abyssal Squid posted:

Supposedly all the Valve servers were switched over to MVM because of everyone getting a free Tour of Duty ticket. It makes some sense, because a shortage of MVM servers is incredibly obnoxious when you want to play, but it also screws over any newbies who decide to play this time of year. Of course pubstompers do that too, but not as badly as Pinion and trade (and Pinion trade) servers do. Of course I've only been playing for a year and a half so maybe the pubstompers have always been this bad and I never noticed because for a long time I was bad enough that random newbies also crushed me ruthlessly.

Speaking of newbies in Valve servers, I try my best to help them get better, and not by yelling at them/killing them repeatedly. There's some things that I say often enough that I should probably make console aliases for them.

alias "protip" "say PROTIP! If you haven't done it yet, go into Advanced Options and turn on the following:; wait 10; say Automatic Reload, Fast Weapon Switching, Hitsound, and Damage Numbers."
alias "prounlock" "say PROTIP! Unlockable weapons are sidegrades at best, and often outright worse than the stock weapons (except for melee weapons).; wait 10; say If someone is killing you repeatedly with an unlocked gun, it's probably because they're better at the game than you and not because of the gun."
alias "proengie" "say PROTIP! Engineers, your most important building is a teleporter (entrance AND exit), followed by an accessible dispenser.; wait 10; say Getting teammates to the front quickly (teleporter), and keeping them there (dispenser); wait 10; say is more helpful than bringing more firepower (sentry gun).; wait 10; say Also, a level 1 teleporter or dispenser near the front is infinitely more useful than a level 3 at spawn."

Suggesting that people go Soldier is a bit more delicate because that's pretty much saying "you're bad, put on training wheels" so I don't feel like I can use a script for that.

edit: okay that SHOULD work, but it seems like the "wait" command stopped working.

Wait is disabled on a lot of servers because of scripts that do things like perfect rocket jumps.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

But it ruins my beautiful Borat script! VERY NICE *quarter-second pause* NOT!

That would explain it, thanks (nobody on the server could explain it though).

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Saoshyant posted:

Seems like the new "trolling" thing is for pro players join pubs, go gunslinger + short circuit and make everyone's life as miserable as possible. Seriously, Valve has had weeks to fix this "balance change" -- they aren't going to.

It's been 9 days since the Short Circuit buff and it's the loving holidays. Don't be so dramatic.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
Backburner had +50 health for 40 days. Tomislav had 75% faster spinup for 5 days, then 40% faster spinup for about 4 months. Direct hit mini-crit on anybody who jumped for a month.

EscortMission
Mar 4, 2009

Come with me
if you want to live.

Dr. Dos posted:

Backburner had +50 health for 40 days. Tomislav had 75% faster spinup for 5 days, then 40% faster spinup for about 4 months. Direct hit mini-crit on anybody who jumped for a month.

Minisentries healed continuously while building for three years. :shrug:

On a side note I'm not really noticing the Diamondback ruling every pub with an iron fist, am I just going to the wrong servers or is it slightly more balanced than it looks?

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!
Granted, I'm not a very good spy, but the diamondback seems to get better as your opponents get shittier. Three engis building on last? Congrats you're a golden crit god.

It does help with picks if you can bank a crit before going after a medic. I think it shines if you can find two people a bit away from their team, because you can stab one and shoot the other before they can really react.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Saoshyant posted:

Seems like the new "trolling" thing is for pro players join pubs, go gunslinger + short circuit and make everyone's life as miserable as possible. Seriously, Valve has had weeks to fix this "balance change" -- they aren't going to.

It's not been weeks, it's been week.

You're week.

Spooky Candle
Dec 2, 2011

In Nature, death is but a gateway to New Life.
MVM is filled with bossy players who also suck. It's really stupid.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Spooky Candle posted:

Play with people you know! The Goons vs. Machine group is supposed to be pretty fun, too.

AllTerrineVehicle posted:

Granted, I'm not a very good spy, but the diamondback seems to get better as your opponents get shittier. Three engis building on last? Congrats you're a golden crit god.

It does help with picks if you can bank a crit before going after a medic. I think it shines if you can find two people a bit away from their team, because you can stab one and shoot the other before they can really react.

You know it was buffed last week, right? It now gives crits on backstabs, too.

It's not dominating servers because you actually have to use your revolver and be able to hit people with it, which pub spies famously avoid at all costs.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

IronicDongz posted:

Soldier obviously has a way higher skill ceiling than pyro, but I'm not talking about comparing a pro-level soldier to a reflecting pyro, I'm saying the bare minimum skill required to get kills as soldiers is lower than the bare minimum skill required to get reflect kills as pyro. If you throw someone who's not played tf2 before into a game and tell/show them what soldier can do and what pyro can do, I guarantee they will be getting rocket kills as soldier before getting reflect kills as pyro.

e: also I would still love if someone has heard of anything similar to my framerate issue/a fix for it :shobon:

Soldier getting kills and Pyro getting reflect kills is apples and oranges. Soldiers getting airshots and Pyros getting reflects are a more apt comparison. Pyro getting kills is easy, you just burn people until they collapse.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Reiley posted:

Soldier getting kills and Pyro getting reflect kills is apples and oranges. Soldiers getting airshots and Pyros getting reflects are a more apt comparison. Pyro getting kills is easy, you just burn people until they collapse.
I know that, point originally was that pyro gets minicrits for reflecting projectiles because that's not easy to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Spooky Candle posted:

Solumin posted:

Play with people you know! The Goons vs. Machine group is supposed to be pretty fun, too.

Yeah, do this. A lot of us use whatever build we want that's both not quite min-max optimal yet not a completely dumb gimmick and it works out rather fine. I've played several tours where we had Snipers on our side, and at least one where we didn't have an Engineer at all. Sometimes we get a pubbie or two in our team because of the lack of folks in the Goons vs. Machine group at any given point in time, and it's fun to see the pubbies rant and rave about how awful it is we aren't kicking the Sniper in our team or whatever.

• Locked thread