Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poot
Apr 21, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

There are a number of superficial similarities between Dutch and the Scandinavian languages that you wouldn't necessarily expect given that they belong to different branches of the Germanic language family. I think it has to do with the fact that neither of them underwent the High Germanic consonant shift. Even though Standard German is obviously closer to Dutch, I still find written Swedish to be more instinctively familiar at first glance.

I know a lot of Norwegians emmigrated to the Netherlands in the 18th century and a cursory wikipedia search puts the number at ~80k. I guess that could have had some influence as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Carbon dioxide posted:

A map of Germanic languages spoken in Europe. Legend here

See that brownish spot in the North of the Netherlands? That's the province of Fryslân (Frisian spelling), where Frisian is an important language. It is the country's second official language.

I don't know too much about it, but I do know I can't understand much of it. It sounds like a really really strong dialect, but I'm guessing the differences between Dutch and Frisian are larger than those among the Scandinavian languages.

Interestingly though, the Frisian language is the closest 'living relative' to English (not counting sorta-dialects that evolved from modern English). The languages parted around the time of Old English, but the proto-English/Frisian was already far apart from proto-Dutch by then. If you look closely, you can find a few similarities between Frisian and English that are different in Dutch.

Is that Malta colored in the bottom there?

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde

Cantorsdust posted:

Is that Malta colored in the bottom there?

English is official in Malta along with Maltese.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Mods, threadname change request: "Politically-loaded Maps: Dutch appreciation station".

Hip Flask
Dec 14, 2010

Zip Mask

Those maps always overestimate how widespread the Sami languages are today.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Carbon dioxide posted:

A map of Germanic languages spoken in Europe. Legend here

See that brownish spot in the North of the Netherlands? That's the province of Fryslân (Frisian spelling), where Frisian is an important language. It is the country's second official language.

I don't know too much about it, but I do know I can't understand much of it. It sounds like a really really strong dialect, but I'm guessing the differences between Dutch and Frisian are larger than those among the Scandinavian languages.

Interestingly though, the Frisian language is the closest 'living relative' to English (not counting sorta-dialects that evolved from modern English). The languages parted around the time of Old English, but the proto-English/Frisian was already far apart from proto-Dutch by then. If you look closely, you can find a few similarities between Frisian and English that are different in Dutch.
Eddie Izzard tries talking to Frisian guy using Old English: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeC1yAaWG34

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
On the inter-intelligibility note, there's actually an artificial Slavic language that can be perfectly understood by speakers of virtually all Slavic groups without any prior training or exposure. Suck it, Germanic guys. :smug:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slovianski

Mu Cow
Oct 26, 2003

Hip Flask posted:

Those maps always overestimate how widespread the Sami languages are today.

Maps like this always over-represent minority languages or ethnic groups. It's intentional to show where a minority group is, even if they're not the majority within that range.

Phlegmish posted:

There are a number of superficial similarities between Dutch and the Scandinavian languages that you wouldn't necessarily expect given that they belong to different branches of the Germanic language family. I think it has to do with the fact that neither of them underwent the High Germanic consonant shift. Even though Standard German is obviously closer to Dutch, I still find written Swedish to be more instinctively familiar at first glance.

When I studied Swedish, I noticed many similarities between English and Swedish that didn't exist between English and German. The consonant shift was a big part, "up" in Swedish is "upp" and in German is "auf". English and Swedish have also dropped some word endings such as with "cat" and "katt", which in German is "katze". Of course, English was influenced by Old Norse, so there is some shared vocabulary that doesn't exist with German, like "egg" and "knife".

English and Swedish dropped the accusative and dative cases and retained the genitive case, adding an "s" to the end of possessive nouns. This is especially interesting considering that in German it is moving the opposite direction and the genitive case is slowly being displaced by the dative case as people use the preposition "von" to indicate possession. I believe the same is happening in Dutch.

Another interesting pattern is that the Germanic languages located around the North and Baltic Sea have reduced the number of grammatical genders. Typically they combine the masculine and feminine into a "common" gender while English dispenses with gender all together. The Germanic languages outside of this region, High German, Icelandic, and Faroese, retain three genders.

Also, from what I remember, Swedish doesn't move verbs to the end of the sentence, like German does sometimes, so sentence structure is more similar to English in that regard.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Hearing people talk about watching a movie for 30 minutes in Dutch before realizing it wasn't in English fascinates me. Is there a link to a Youtube video of something in just plain spoken Dutch? I don't want a video to "How to speak Dutch", but rather just a Dutch TV show or something.

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.

Mu Cow posted:

This is especially interesting considering that in German it is moving the opposite direction and the genitive case is slowly being displaced by the dative case as people use the preposition "von" to indicate possession. I believe the same is happening in Dutch.

There is of course a "problem", some would say, with this, but it's certainly not a thing that is encouraged or just passively observed.
Lots of books, some humorous, some in a more serious context, have been written about this phenomenon, which can be in majority, observed in some migrants- as well as in poorer communities.( without passing any judgement on these people or how they talk 'cause of their upbringing ).
In a formal context, no one would just drop the genitive in favor of dativ, it's viewed as really bad form of conversation and most Germans frown upon using it that way.

Also, the dativ case is "vom", "von" is accusative.
:eng101:

Antwan3K
Mar 8, 2013

Mu Cow posted:

English and Swedish dropped the accusative and dative cases and retained the genitive case, adding an "s" to the end of possessive nouns. This is especially interesting considering that in German it is moving the opposite direction and the genitive case is slowly being displaced by the dative case as people use the preposition "von" to indicate possession. I believe the same is happening in Dutch.

Yes. In Dutch the genitive is basically only still used for proper names. Eg. I could talk about "Mu Cows post", the same usage as in Enlish. A more vernacular way (which I think is only common in Belgium) would be "Mu Cow zijn post" (Mu Cow his post), which retains the structure but doesn't use a genitive.
The accusative and dative forms can still be found in expressions like 'ten laatste male' (For the last time), for example, where the -e is a archaic dative form.

DrSunshine posted:

Hearing people talk about watching a movie for 30 minutes in Dutch before realizing it wasn't in English fascinates me. Is there a link to a Youtube video of something in just plain spoken Dutch? I don't want a video to "How to speak Dutch", but rather just a Dutch TV show or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=620nI07DHDw

This is the best dutch-language video on the entire internet. It combines the arts of football, poetry and language philosophy.

Antwan3K fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Dec 28, 2013

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Antwan3K posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=620nI07DHDw

This is the best dutch-language video on the entire internet. It combines the arts of football, poetry and language philosophy.

These men seem to be having the most interesting discussion in the world, but unfortunately it doesn't sound like English to me! Though it's kind of neat -- the overall tone and rhythm of the language sounds very similar.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Well it's kinda spoiled by you already knowing its Dutch. I doubt those people were paying full attention to the movie though.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
The thing that I find weird about that mao is that it differentiates between English and Scots... but seems to think that Scots isn't spoken in the highlands... Its also funny to see the Western Isles marked as non-germanic when even there Gaelic is a minority language... Just based on that (and the ulster Scots section) you can see that it exaggerates some minority languages, but is unsure about the ones where the two are very similar...

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

IceAgeComing posted:

The thing that I find weird about that mao is that it differentiates between English and Scots... but seems to think that Scots isn't spoken in the highlands... Its also funny to see the Western Isles marked as non-germanic when even there Gaelic is a minority language... Just based on that (and the ulster Scots section) you can see that it exaggerates some minority languages, but is unsure about the ones where the two are very similar...

I think what happened is the map used for Scots was the one from the Wikipedia page, which appears to specifically be a map of Lowland + Ulster Scots that leaves out Highland Scots for whatever reason.

Also for what it's worth the Western Isles reported in 2011 (as in the previous several censuses) that a majority of the population continued to be able to speak Scottish Gaelic.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
Wired posted a gallery of their favorite maps of the year. Cool stuff, some of them have already been discussed in this thread.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Basil Hayden posted:

I think what happened is the map used for Scots was the one from the Wikipedia page, which appears to specifically be a map of Lowland + Ulster Scots that leaves out Highland Scots for whatever reason.

Also for what it's worth the Western Isles reported in 2011 (as in the previous several censuses) that a majority of the population continued to be able to speak Scottish Gaelic.

Scots isn't spoken in the Highlands. Both Scots and modern English are evolutions from a common language, noticeably diverging in the medieval period - indeed Scots-speakers called their own language 'Inglis', and called Scottish Gaelic 'Scottis', up until the surge in nationalism in the 15th century. Inglis - later Scots - simply wasn't spoken in large parts of Scotland, where instead Gaelic was spoken. When Gaelic began to decline, in the 19th century, the official line on Scots was that it didn't really exist except as a dialect of English and so Gaels were taught standard Scottish English instead of Scots.

I'm from the Western Isles and grew up speaking Gaelic and English but no Scots. No-one I know from the islands is a native speaker of Scots.

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

John Charity Spring posted:

Scots isn't spoken in the Highlands. Both Scots and modern English are evolutions from a common language, noticeably diverging in the medieval period - indeed Scots-speakers called their own language 'Inglis', and called Scottish Gaelic 'Scottis', up until the surge in nationalism in the 15th century. Inglis - later Scots - simply wasn't spoken in large parts of Scotland, where instead Gaelic was spoken. When Gaelic began to decline, in the 19th century, the official line on Scots was that it didn't really exist except as a dialect of English and so Gaels were taught standard Scottish English instead of Scots.

I'm from the Western Isles and grew up speaking Gaelic and English but no Scots. No-one I know from the islands is a native speaker of Scots.

Okay it looks like Wikipedia calls what I called up there "Highland Scots" "Highland English" which is not Scots, maybe, except the article on Scottish English which it's a variety of also suggests it might or might not be considered the same as Scots and why is this such a mess I'm so confused.

Basil Hayden fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Dec 28, 2013

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
There's the argument whether Scots is a language or a dialect of English because its not like a Scotsman and an Englishman cannot understand each other; although there are issues between some people. It gets complicated when you have written Scots that is only used for poetry and other literature and not for anything serious ([although the Scots wikipedia is pretty funny to read), but they are pretty close on a basic, day-to-day level. I'm not too good at language things (English/Scots and very basic Lithuanian is as far as I am, I've forgotten all of my school French), xo I can't really think of a parallel between other languages; but there probably is one elsewhere in the world.

This is probably something better suited to the Languages sub-forum in A/T though...

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Basil Hayden posted:

Okay it looks like Wikipedia calls what I called up there "Highland Scots" "Highland English" which is not Scots, maybe, except the article on Scottish English which it's a variety of also suggests it might or might not be considered the same as Scots and why is this such a mess I'm so confused.

There's no such thing as Highland Scots. Scots has its own distinct dialects and none of them are spoken in the Highlands with the exception of the tip of Caithness which has been a Scots-speaking area for centuries.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

It's not exactly the most politically-loaded map in the world, but...

Mu Cow
Oct 26, 2003

skipThings posted:

Also, the dativ case is "vom", "von" is accusative.
:eng101:

"Von" always takes the dative. "Vom" is a shortening of "von dem". For example, "Ich habe ein Geschenk von der Katze" vs. "Ich habe ein Geschenk vom Hund".

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

DrSunshine posted:

Maybe Flemish will sound more similar to English for you, since the pronunciation differs quite a bit between the two countries. The woman going around asking instructions is Belgian.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7z8so8fV4Ao

Also an interesting video for Dutchmen!

Also on the subject of maps:

Flemish education really stresses the fact that we should learn proper, British English, so I was expecting this result, especially if school English mixes with Hollywood and popular media English. We're just all over the map (except Texas).

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Dec 29, 2013

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Mu Cow posted:

Another interesting pattern is that the Germanic languages located around the North and Baltic Sea have reduced the number of grammatical genders. Typically they combine the masculine and feminine into a "common" gender while English dispenses with gender all together. The Germanic languages outside of this region, High German, Icelandic, and Faroese, retain three genders.

With the exception of one dialect and one sociolect, Norwegian still retains three genders.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

ulvir posted:

With the exception of one dialect and one sociolect, Norwegian still retains three genders.

With Bokmål though, you can use the masculine form for all feminine forms, so you'd only have two genders: neuter and common. I took Norwegian in college and we didn't bother with remembering which nouns were feminine.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

we didn't bother with remembering which nouns were feminine.

I really don't understand why anyone bothers to remember this ever. Maybe it's my language-privilege talking but whole classes of nouns that add zero information yet require huge amounts of memorization to use properly are just ugh.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

VitalSigns posted:

I really don't understand why anyone bothers to remember this ever. Maybe it's my language-privilege talking but whole classes of nouns that add zero information yet require huge amounts of memorization to use properly are just ugh.

It's not just you, gender is the one grammar concept that I've never seen any convincing argument in favor of. Or any argument in favor of, now that I think about it. It adds nothing but annoyance for non-native learners. It doesn't even have to be logical, like girl in German is neuter, not feminine.

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

Grand Fromage posted:

It's not just you, gender is the one grammar concept that I've never seen any convincing argument in favor of. Or any argument in favor of, now that I think about it. It adds nothing but annoyance for non-native learners. It doesn't even have to be logical, like girl in German is neuter, not feminine.

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that grammatical gender has long been a puzzle, in that despite being something you have to make rather tortured arguments in favor of, it's prevalent in several major language families.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Grand Fromage posted:

Question for anyone who speaks a language with grammatical gender, did you learn a foreign language with grammatical gender in school, and how did you find that? I had a hard enough time remembering der/die/das for nouns when I learned German in school, I imagine it must be even worse if you already have genders for nouns in your own language and they bear no relation whatsoever to the genders of your own language. Or is it easier, because you already understand the concept?

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Reveilled posted:

Question for anyone who speaks a language with grammatical gender, did you learn a foreign language with grammatical gender in school, and how did you find that? I had a hard enough time remembering der/die/das for nouns when I learned German in school, I imagine it must be even worse if you already have genders for nouns in your own language and they bear no relation whatsoever to the genders of your own language. Or is it easier, because you already understand the concept?

Its not easier. In your first language you just know which noun is which gender. In the new language you have to memorize them. Like cat. In German it's always feminine, in Spanish it's masculine. It sounds weird to refer to a cat as "he".

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Minimum Wage Hours needed to work per week to afford an average 2-bedroom apartment in each state.

I saw it on UpWorthy, who sourced it to the National Low Income Housing Authority, but they didn't link right to the data, so I have no idea if it's at the federal min. wage, or state, and what percentage of income they determined had to go to rent.

I'd be curious to see how much New York's would change if you separated out NYC+Long Island.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Minimum Wage Hours needed to work per week to afford an average 2-bedroom apartment in each state.

I saw it on UpWorthy, who sourced it to the National Low Income Housing Authority, but they didn't link right to the data, so I have no idea if it's at the federal min. wage, or state, and what percentage of income they determined had to go to rent.

I'd be curious to see how much New York's would change if you separated out NYC+Long Island.
That map doesn't include the best part:

Hawai'i requires more hours per week than there actually are in a week.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Here's the 2013 version:

And here's the source:
http://nlihc.org/oor/2013

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

bronin posted:

Its not easier. In your first language you just know which noun is which gender. In the new language you have to memorize them. Like cat. In German it's always feminine, in Spanish it's masculine. It sounds weird to refer to a cat as "he".

Do you always refer to cats as she in German, then, even if it's an actual male cat? Or just for general use the way English speakers default to "it" if it's a cat of unknown gender?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

VitalSigns posted:

They don't require huge amounts of active memorisation for the native speaker, because statistical learning does the job for you. So as such they're not an impediment and there's not necessarily a reason for them to disappear from language. There's languages with dozens of completely arbitrary noun classes. But I'll tell you what: to people whose native language doesn't have articles, those are just about as arbitrary and daft as gender is to you.

Grand Fromage posted:

I only know about Indo-European languages, but I think the consensus is that Proto-Indo-European's "genders" were an animacy/inanimacy noun class distinction, and over time they largely evolved or devolved into a masculine/feminine distinction. So I don't know why you would need to make an "argument in favor of" it? The noun class system has just never disappeared from e.g. the Romance languages or German, and we cannot really speculate about how it evolved in PIE because that goes so far beyond the timeframe at which the comparative method works.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Ras Het posted:

So I don't know why you would need to make an "argument in favor of" it?

As far as describing what purpose it serves. You just mentioned articles, for example. They are somewhat arbitrary, but at least in English they communicate whether you're talking about a specific or general noun. Something like the door = a specific door, a door = any door. I've never read an argument that gender communicates any useful information at all, it's just kind of there.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Grand Fromage posted:

As far as describing what purpose it serves. You just mentioned articles, for example. They are somewhat arbitrary, but at least in English they communicate whether you're talking about a specific or general noun. Something like the door = a specific door, a door = any door. I've never read an argument that gender communicates any useful information at all, it's just kind of there.

Clarification of references in, say, subordinate clauses. The same way English has gendered third person singular pronouns, he did this and she did that. Lots of languages do without genders in pronouns.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Reveilled posted:

Do you always refer to cats as she in German, then, even if it's an actual male cat? Or just for general use the way English speakers default to "it" if it's a cat of unknown gender?

Gendered nouns in German refer to what infinitive you put in front of it. So yes saying the cat in German is always going to die (feminine version of the) katze.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Ras Het posted:

Clarification of references in, say, subordinate clauses. The same way English has gendered third person singular pronouns, he did this and she did that. Lots of languages do without genders in pronouns.

Can you give some examples? The only language I've learned in any detail with genders was German, and they're totally meaningless and arbitrary there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barbelith
Oct 23, 2010

SMILE
Taco Defender

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Gendered nouns in German refer to what infinitive you put in front of it. So yes saying the cat in German is always going to die (feminine version of the) katze.

But you'd still talk about your tomcat as "he".