Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!

Dissapointed Owl posted:

"Mega man is manly! It should be done by men! We can't have a woman involved in the process, infecting everything in the game with their gross
FEMALE-ness, right down to the characters! Fire her!"
I didn't really follow this controversy when it happened a while back. But... hasn't the composer of Might No 9 always been a woman (that nobody complained about?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

madjackmcmad posted:

You miiiiight be wrong on this one. It happens, I've been there.

It was such a cash cow Capcom decided to cancel any and all future plans of a new game mid-production.

It's a relatively low number of angry Mega Man fans tossing their Hate dollars at the original developer, along with people interested in a new game by an established developer.

I'm sure it will do fine, but I'd say find a wider appeal than Mega Man fans, unless you want your new series to follow the old down.

MURPHAGATOR!
Apr 6, 2013

Another busy day at the
Fight House.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

It was such a cash cow Capcom decided to cancel any and all future plans of a new game mid-production.

It's a relatively low number of angry Mega Man fans tossing their Hate dollars at the original developer, along with people interested in a new game by an established developer.

I'm sure it will do fine, but I'd say find a wider appeal than Mega Man fans, unless you want your new series to follow the old down.

If everyone followed the biggest cash cow, all we'd have would be FPSes.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Orzo posted:

I didn't really follow this controversy when it happened a while back. But... hasn't the composer of Might No 9 always been a woman (that nobody complained about?)

They picked a multilingual woman originally from Lebanon now living in Japan to be the community manager. She knew someone on the team so immediately the MRAs went into action alongside all the jealous people wanting to be forum moderator on the Mighty No. 9 site. The fact she at the very least speaks English, Japanese ,and Arabic (possibly French since it's used there) means nothing and she only got into the position because she is a woman. Then she had the audacity to draw beck as A GIRL and talk about Anita Sarkeesian positively in her social media accounts.

Yeah, the composer is a woman. She's older though so she doesn't do social media, which means no one has really heard her opinions on many issues. She probably also gets a pass because she made the music they heard as kids.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

Looks like the previous vote update is backers only, anyone have links to all the Calls who were choices?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
This one is all of them not colored.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mightyno9/mighty-no-9/posts/611851
This is what we got to chose between.
http://www.mightyno9.com/en/news20131220

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I don't really like that the one with creepy dead eyes won.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I think I like E and H way better than the one that won.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

S.J. posted:

E is easily the most expressive one of them all. Really neat faces. She seems most alive of them all.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

S.J. posted:

E, F, and H were the concepts that made it to the 2nd round of voting. F lost by a point and a half.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Letting the "community" decide design decisions is the worst idea ever, why do people keep doing it.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
Because it makes them money.

Note to backers: no developer in the history of developing games has ever wanted your input on character, plot, enemy design, concept art, etc. Beta testing and gameplay feel, sure, that's valuable input. But the most fun part of making games (for a lot of people) is the creative part and no, they are not letting you design an enemy because they want to give the community power, they're doing it because you're paying money to do it.

Wow that came off really cynical, but it's probably true.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Toffile posted:

E, F, and H were the concepts that made it to the 2nd round of voting. F lost by a point and a half.

You mean won?

Pringles_School
Jul 24, 2013

Dehry posted:

They picked a multilingual woman originally from Lebanon now living in Japan to be the community manager. She knew someone on the team so immediately the MRAs went into action alongside all the jealous people wanting to be forum moderator on the Mighty No. 9 site. The fact she at the very least speaks English, Japanese ,and Arabic (possibly French since it's used there) means nothing and she only got into the position because she is a woman. Then she had the audacity to draw beck as A GIRL and talk about Anita Sarkeesian positively in her social media accounts.

Not to be an rear end here. But, part of the fault lies with hiring her in the position of community manager rather than support or production.

The Community Manager job will always have the highest exposure to the community in a crowdfunded enviroment. And ANY community as a whole are dicks.

IIRC everything also started when she said that she didn't really play megaman (or was it even that she did not like the games?)

Anyway, all this basically meant serving a person up on a silver plate to be eaten by trolls and idiots. Some better planning could have avoided the whole situation.

Pringles_School fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Dec 29, 2013

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

S.J. posted:

You mean won?

Yeah, I swapped them in my mind accidentally.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Pringles_School posted:

Not to be an rear end here. But, part of the fault lies with hiring her in the position of community manager rather than support or production.

The Community Manager job will always have the highest exposure to the community in a crowdfunded enviroment. And ANY community as a whole are dicks.

IIRC everything also started when she said that she didn't really play megaman (or was it even that she did not like the games?)

Anyway, all this basically meant serving a person up on a silver plate to be eaten by trolls and idiots. Some better planning could have avoided the whole situation.

It didn't start when she said she didn't play Megaman, it started when pathetic weirdos trawled through her Twitter history in a search for reasons to hate her and found her saying that she wasn't familiar with Megaman games, and then later saying Megaman X was her favourite. We all know that if at one point you didn't play a game you can't ever play it and form an opinion.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Well Megaman X is my favorite too, guess I'm disqualified from playing their game :(

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

Dehry posted:

Then she had the audacity to draw beck as A GIRL

Hot garbage.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Pringles_School posted:

But, part of the fault lies with hiring her in the position of community manager rather than support or production.

"Women shouldn't be community managers, screeching male gamers don't like it"

"Women shouldn't serve in the police, they can't control male criminals"

"Women shouldn't have management roles, male employees won't respect them"

Pringles_School posted:

Not to be an rear end here.

Protip: you're an rear end.

Pringles_School
Jul 24, 2013

Wendell posted:

It didn't start when she said she didn't play Megaman, it started when pathetic weirdos trawled through her Twitter history in a search for reasons to hate her and found her saying that she wasn't familiar with Megaman games, and then later saying Megaman X was her favourite. We all know that if at one point you didn't play a game you can't ever play it and form an opinion.

That's more or less the same thing. As I said community exposure. Everything you do will be under the eyes of the community. Moreso because they have money invested. And no I don't believe people were initially trying to hate her except trolls who initially tried to find something to stir the community. Then the real monsters got it served for breakfast.

Doesn't change anything I said at all.

Hey, I can totally see why they hired her. Great communication and language skills, possible very nice person and so on.

Problem is. That is NOT GOING TO MATTER poo poo.

They should have looked at hiring a hardass (male or female before someone says anything) who has plenty of experience with said game and its community. And can hold his own in it.

As such this situation was bound to happen from the start. Just like its really a dumb idea to send someone playing COD and excpecting people not to be a total rear end to that person. That doesn't make it right. But neither is carelessly throwing people in such a situation.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Edit: too slow and also forget it, nevermind.

Pringles_School
Jul 24, 2013

DoctorTristan posted:

Protip: you're an rear end.

Yeah, I never said any of that. I didn't even blame her. I blame the people who don't have foresight and I blame society for being assholish.

Also a women totally could do all of that.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga
Why did every design have a skirt.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Silhouette?

Pringles_School
Jul 24, 2013

Lets! Get! Weird! posted:

Because,... :(

I kinda excpected it and nearly every (every) design gives me the creeps.

H would somewhat work with some adjustments.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Pringles_School posted:

Yeah, I never said any of that. I didn't even blame her. I blame the people who don't have foresight and I blame society for being assholish.

Also a women totally could do all of that.

Yes you did, you said it right here:

Pringles_School posted:

You flat-out stated that she should not have been hired for the job because of how (some elements of) the community would react.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

That awful Design B didn't have a skirt.

Design E was my favorite but honestly F was going to win basically because it had the most exposure, it was used in the Concept art and everything so pretty much people got it in their heads that F was basically Call.

I still like how the Vote was really close, shows how popular E was so it wasn't just an F Landslide.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Since it is really a fanmade continuation of the Megaman series and in that series almost all the female robots have skirts for no good reason. They're not really being very creative here, essentially.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Install Windows posted:

Since it is really a fanmade continuation of the Megaman series

I'm not sure how "the original creator of the character plus people who have worked on the series in large capacity" is "fanmade", but sure, why not.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

RMZXAnarchy posted:

That awful Design B didn't have a skirt.

Well yeah but it looks like she has no bottoms on at all in that one.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Kyrosiris posted:

I'm not sure how "the original creator of the character plus people who have worked on the series in large capacity" is "fanmade", but sure, why not.

The majority of the team is fans of the series, it's also got that whole not-licensed-by-Capcom-so-we-can't-use-the-official-names-and-characters thing.

Pringles_School
Jul 24, 2013

DoctorTristan posted:

You flat-out stated that she should not have been hired for the job because of how (some elements of) the community would react.

Yes. Absolutly, for the reasons I stated.

Which boils down to that she was an outsider to the whole thing hired in a position which has the most exposure to it. Not with her being female (There's tons of female megaman players who would have done great in that position) , though that only helped the hate parade (Which again are all horrible human beings)

You have to consider assholes while hiring someone in a certain position. You have to consider everything. That's why I lay part of the blame to the Mighty No.9 HR.

It's a problem you have in the real job market as well. Actually one I fell under myself when I wasn't hired for a position. Which in retrospect I'm glad about because it would have destroyed me mentally after hearing stories about it.

Pringles_School fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Dec 29, 2013

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga
You seem to have it backwards - companies shouldn't have to worry about immature mewling manchildren when they make hiring decisions. The people blowing up are the ones that should change their attitude and decision making.

Pringles_School
Jul 24, 2013

You seem to have it backwards - companies shouldn't have to worry about immature mewling manchildren when they make hiring decisions. The people blowing up are the ones that should change their attitude and decision making.

Companies definitly should worry about that.

It would be horrible if they don't. Let's say you have one great efficent worker who's a total rear end in doing so and they have to hire an assistant for him. A boss can't just hire a person who is unable to deal with that guy. Otherwise that will destroy the new hire to the point where he may quit himself. You're not going to help ANYBODY with that.

Of course they should take risks too.

On the second part I fully agree. Society is horrible and should change. All of these things shouldn't ideally be a problem or cause for concern in the first place.

Pringles_School fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Dec 29, 2013

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Am I a bad person for voting for F? I liked the basic simplicity of the design, H wasn't really working for me, and I wasn't fond of E's hat.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

Well yeah but it looks like she has no bottoms on at all in that one.

Congratulations! This is exactly why she has a skirt. In the style they have, pants do not look like pants on robots.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Pringles_School posted:

Companies definitly should worry about that.

It would be horrible if they don't. Let's say you have one great efficent worker who's a total rear end in doing so and they have to hire an assistant for him. A boss can't just hire a person who is unable to deal with that guy. Otherwise that will destroy the new hire to the point where he may quit himself. You're not going to help ANYBODY with that.

Of course they should take risks too.

On the second part I fully agree. Society is horrible and should change.

From my experience (not in games admittedly) the 'super efficient rear end in a top hat' worker isn't that much better than everyone else (at least not irreplaceable) and one person being a major rear end in a top hat that can't work with anybody slows things down more than they help.

Maybe if we change and throw people like that on their loving asses if they act like idiot manchildren the other talented manchildren will atleast keep that poo poo bottled up.

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Dec 29, 2013

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

If it makes you feel any better, some of Call E's alternate designs didn't have skirts.

MikeJF posted:

Am I a bad person for voting for F? I liked the basic simplicity of the design, H wasn't really working for me, and I wasn't fond of E's hat.
You voted differently from me, therefore you're an uncreative pedophile.

Actually, I voted F too. The design really appealed to me. I really liked the use of red, and I think it's a nice juxtaposition to Beck's blue.

Pringles_School
Jul 24, 2013

DrManiac posted:

From my experience the 'super efficient rear end in a top hat' worker isn't that much better than everyone else (at least not irreplaceable) and one person being a major rear end in a top hat that can't work with anybody slows things down more than they help.

Correct. Absolutly correct

Sadly, even assholes work somewhere. And thanks to glorious capitalism backstabbers and dicks are doing quite well at securing positions. Company politics (suck).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

Pringles_School posted:

Yes. Absolutly, for the reasons I stated.

Which boils down to that she was an outsider to the whole thing hired in a position which has the most exposure to it. Not with her being female (There's tons of female megaman players who would have done great in that position) , though that only helped the hate parade (Which again are all horrible human beings)

See, this is where you're 100% wrong. This kind of hysterical overreaction only happens when the person in question is a woman.

Pringles_School posted:

You have to consider assholes while hiring someone in a certain position. You have to consider everything. That's why I lay part of the blame to the Mighty No.9 HR.

That's what I thought you said, hence:

DoctorTristan posted: