Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Astro7x posted:

While their pricing system is messed up, I certainly wouldn't buy more games at a lower price point. I barely play the VC games as it is to be honest. When I looked at my play history on some of them it was just sad and made me not want to buy more games... I think I bought Lost Levels and played it for no more than 15 minutes. That's like 2 bucks a minute.

That's rough seeing that The Lost Levels isn't even on the Wii U VC yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
WiiU is still in the hearts of some kids I guess (can only assume the Twitter user is a child, or has a mental age of one anyway)

VVV That was literally on the back of my mind 'must be a sarcastic tweet'

DarthBlingBling fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Dec 28, 2013

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

DarthBlingBling posted:

WiiU is still in the hearts of some kids I guess (can only assume the Twitter user is a child, or has a mental age of one anyway)

It's a joke https://twitter.com/FrostBandit/status/416093251959934977 and https://twitter.com/FrostBandit/status/416313774610472961

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

Astro Nut posted:

Since I don't think these got posted, here's the Media Create Sales & Famitsu numbers from last week.

Nintendo seems to be doing well there and the decision to make Hyrule Warriors makes a lot of sense when looking at how the other games in the series sell over there.

EDIT: If Virtual games were tied to my profile and I could play them on both systems, I would have no problem with the price. I bought NES Remix because it's the type of game I want Nintendo to be making more of, but I usually avoid virtual purchases from Nintendo because of their user policies. In comparison, I'm a sucker for buying things off Steam and PSN.

DOUBLE EDIT: While I am of the mind set that PS4 will be the next gen console to own, it was actually the worst one to have as your only system this Christmas. Wii U now has multiple excellent exclusives. Xbox One has Dead Rising 3 and a new Forza. PS4 has... Knack.

ghostwritingduck fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Dec 28, 2013

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

deadwing posted:

Ah, I love how the continued solid sales of SM3DW and the Wii U get buried, but any negative news gets talked about for pages and pages.

The Wii U hardware sales are down 10% YoY, charting software totals are about the same. It's not being discussed because it's not really exciting news either way; the sales are just solid rather than increasing or decreasing much more than expected. It's interesting to note the Wii U only overtook the PS3 for YTD sales last week, but hardly impressive when the PS3 is 7 years old and nearing replacement.

We could discuss how the 3DS is well down YoY and YTD?

Nintendo's 3Q results are out at the end of January, that's the next time anything really interesting will happen.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

ghostwritingduck posted:

DOUBLE EDIT: While I am of the mind set that PS4 will be the next gen console to own, it was actually the worst one to have as your only system this Christmas. Wii U now has multiple excellent exclusives. Xbox One has Dead Rising 3 and a new Forza. PS4 has... Knack.

This is a sensible argument keeping in mind the exclusives alone, but you also gotta consider the multiplayer scene. If you've got games that are good for both platforms, but the PS4 has a thriving multiplayer scene compared to the Xbox One (or vice-versa), then you might consider that title a "pseudo-exclusive" if you're buying it for multiplayer (which the majority of PS4/Xbone owners are).

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
For anyone interested in hacking the Wii U, here is a recording of a presentation from a hacker conference touching on that very subject. Couple of goofs from Nintendo and such, but no Wii U Homebrew Channel just yet.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ghostwritingduck posted:

Nintendo seems to be doing well there and the decision to make Hyrule Warriors makes a lot of sense when looking at how the other games in the series sell over there.

EDIT: If Virtual games were tied to my profile and I could play them on both systems, I would have no problem with the price. I bought NES Remix because it's the type of game I want Nintendo to be making more of, but I usually avoid virtual purchases from Nintendo because of their user policies. In comparison, I'm a sucker for buying things off Steam and PSN.

And someone can say Wii U has mario and pikmin.

The argument works both ways man, Nintendo's exclusives aren't everyone's cup of tea. And to be perfectly frank, it seems that exclusives don't hold such huge sway anymore, there's always exceptions yes but it seems multiplats are starting to run away with everything.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

ghostwritingduck posted:

Exclusives aren't the only thing you can play on a system so this point makes no sense.

Also, you're forgetting Killzone, which while not perfect was certainly something fun to play.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Exclusives are one way to pick between PS4 and the Bone, but you can't really look at that for the Wii U. In the same way that a lot of games came out for PC, PS3, and 360, but not Wii, we're going to get a lot of "PC/PS4/Bone but no Wii U" this gen.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Yeah, even though there's only a title or two so far that the PS4/Bone have exclusive from each other, almost their entire shared library is excluded from the Wii-U. Lumping their exclusives in with the Wii-U's exclusives doesn't paint an accurate picture.

Also, online multiplayer again because that's a really big thing.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Spiffo posted:

Also, online multiplayer again because that's a really big thing.

It's why my nephews (in high school) have PS4's. They only really care about the online multiplayer.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

Git Mah Belt Son posted:

Exclusives aren't the only thing you can play on a system so this point makes no sense.

Also, you're forgetting Killzone, which while not perfect was certainly something fun to play.

I was assuming that the person buying a PS4 or Xbox One owned a PS3 or 360.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

deadwing posted:

That's rough seeing that The Lost Levels isn't even on the Wii U VC yet.

That was on the Wii, which also logged playtime.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I got a Wii as soon as I could (which turned out to be "two or three days after launch"), a 360 about a year after it hit for Dead Rising, and a PS3 long after the fact in time for FF13. I preordered a Wii U and PS4. I have no intention of ever getting a Bone, even though of the three consoles from the prior generation, most of the games I bought were for 360.

Nintendo may come across like a pack of clueless blunderers, but at least they didn't seem like they were actively hostile.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

It's why my nephews (in high school) have PS4's. They only really care about the online multiplayer.

That's why I have a PS4 too, despite logging in way more playtime on the Wii U. Sometimes I just want to shoot some dudes online. It's OK to own both, and one of the next-gen systems or a PC and a Wii U will be the optimal set of systems to own. If Nintendo can get the price right by the time Smash comes out, I'll bet a lot of people will pick one up as a second system for couch co-op and exclusives.

Astro7x posted:

That was on the Wii, which also logged playtime.

drat, you added up all your activity logs to find that out? Dedication.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Edmund Honda posted:

The Wii U hardware sales are down 10% YoY, charting software totals are about the same. It's not being discussed because it's not really exciting news either way; the sales are just solid rather than increasing or decreasing much more than expected. It's interesting to note the Wii U only overtook the PS3 for YTD sales last week, but hardly impressive when the PS3 is 7 years old and nearing replacement.

We could discuss how the 3DS is well down YoY and YTD?

Nintendo's 3Q results are out at the end of January, that's the next time anything really interesting will happen.

Yes, Wii U hardware sales are now down 10% year over year in Japan. That's a far cry from the losing-to-the-PSP level catastrophe they were just three months ago.

And for 3DS sales being down, at this point enough 3DSes have sold in Japan that roughly 10% of their population owns one assuming nobody bought multiple systems. There comes a point where sales begin to plateau, which historically for Nintendo systems in Japan is either the second or third year after release. The 3DS being down in it's fourth fiscal year compared to last year should surprise no one.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

deadwing posted:

That's why I have a PS4 too, despite logging in way more playtime on the Wii U. Sometimes I just want to shoot some dudes online. It's OK to own both, and one of the next-gen systems or a PC and a Wii U will be the optimal set of systems to own. If Nintendo can get the price right by the time Smash comes out, I'll bet a lot of people will pick one up as a second system for couch co-op and exclusives.

drat, you added up all your activity logs to find that out? Dedication.

There's going to be a crazy ad blitz when Smash comes out. Smash has broad appeal that extends way beyond the Nintendo Faithful, and will likely move units like nothing else that has been released on the console so far can.

It would be great if they could drop the price another $50 somehow though. There's also going to be a whole lot of people who go "Oh hey, Smashabro, hell yeah" and then see the $3-- price tag and :geno:

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Rexroom posted:

For anyone interested in hacking the Wii U, here is a recording of a presentation from a hacker conference touching on that very subject. Couple of goofs from Nintendo and such, but no Wii U Homebrew Channel just yet.

If I understand this correctly, it appears that the WiiU has an inherent design flaw that makes it's security system completely useless.

Good job Nintendo!

EDIT: Though I guess people need to actually buy the console for there to be any desire to hack it.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Dec 29, 2013

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I know it's been talked about in this thread already, but I've been at my moms without wifi and watching a lot of TV and the Wii U ads just blow my mind.

The over use of the word upgrade is ridiculous and then they still never point out that there's a new console and just mention the "Wii U game pad".

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

One and the Same posted:

There's going to be a crazy ad blitz when Smash comes out. Smash has broad appeal that extends way beyond the Nintendo Faithful, and will likely move units like nothing else that has been released on the console so far can.

It would be great if they could drop the price another $50 somehow though. There's also going to be a whole lot of people who go "Oh hey, Smashabro, hell yeah" and then see the $3-- price tag and :geno:

Smash bros. is coming to the 3DS.

I doubt it's going to have any major difference since everything else thus far hasn't done anything. 3DS is almost probably going to outsell the Wii-U version just based on the cheaper price tag for the game and having more systems in people's hands.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

The Dave posted:

The over use of the word upgrade is ridiculous and then they still never point out that there's a new console and just mention the "Wii U game pad".

I walked into a Family Video the other day and there was a big sign above the PS4 and XBO sections that say "Upgrade Your System?" It's not that uncommon of a phrase, and people are just trying to find fault in anything they can.

All of the original Wii U ads specifically said "The All New Wii U" and that didn't do much for them either...

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It's an awful, overpriced console with a white elephant gimmick that gives you hand cramp, that's why it didn't sell, complaining that it was marketed poorly is missing the forest for the trees.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Astro7x posted:

I walked into a Family Video the other day and there was a big sign above the PS4 and XBO sections that say "Upgrade Your System?" It's not that uncommon of a phrase, and people are just trying to find fault in anything they can.

All of the original Wii U ads specifically said "The All New Wii U" and that didn't do much for them either...

At least with PlayStation 4 you can easily understand that it's a new system. Xbox One is more tricky (and a stupid name), but Wii U still takes the cake as worst name. I don't blame people who thinks (yes, still do) that Wii U is to the Wii, what DSi was to the DS.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

The Taint Reaper posted:

Smash bros. is coming to the 3DS.

I doubt it's going to have any major difference since everything else thus far hasn't done anything. 3DS is almost probably going to outsell the Wii-U version just based on the cheaper price tag for the game and having more systems in people's hands.

The major difference is one you can play with a group of friends at a party and the other you cannot.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

ghostwritingduck posted:

The major difference is one you can play with a group of friends at a party and the other you cannot.

Does the handheld version support local multiplayer like Starfox 3DS? If your friends own 3DS's, chances are good they'll be getting Smash Bros for it anyway, so going that route might make more financial sense than investing in a Wii U and however many extra controllers.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

deadwing posted:

The 3DS being down in it's fourth fiscal year compared to last year should surprise no one.

I agree with you in theory (and you're right about saturation in Japan) but remember that Nintendo's own forecast is 18m shipped worldwide this financial year, compared to 14m last year and 13.5m the year before. So from that there definitely are some people who thought it wouldn't be down!

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005
As someone who has owned every Nintendo console & handheld [minus the Virtual Boy and Wii U], what's keeping me from buying the Wii U at this point in time is the lack of a real new 3D Mario game. I loved Mario 64, Mario Sunshine, and Galaxy 1 & 2 more than most video games I've ever played even though I realize it's nothing extremely innovative, and I played the hell out of them. The new fixed-camera 2.5 stuff doesn't cut it for me. It doesn't -feel- like anything substantial. I'm sure it's a good game, but it won't sell me the console. What would sell me the console is 3D Mario + Smash Bros. That's it.

I've read every post in this thread (dear god) and I agree with most reasons for its failure that have been mentioned, and their inability to fully embrace online multiplayer is wrecking them, but for me it's just me over here waiting for a new Mario game that isn't 2D or 2.5. Any day now. :(

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

3d World isn't 2.5d, though. There's platforming in 3D. It's not quite Galaxy/Sunshine/64, but it's not quite New Super Mario Brothers either. It's something inbetween the two, and the result is actually pretty interesting.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Final Fart Buttball posted:

As someone who has owned every Nintendo console & handheld [minus the Virtual Boy and Wii U], what's keeping me from buying the Wii U at this point in time is the lack of a real new 3D Mario game. I loved Mario 64, Mario Sunshine, and Galaxy 1 & 2 more than most video games I've ever played even though I realize it's nothing extremely innovative, and I played the hell out of them. The new fixed-camera 2.5 stuff doesn't cut it for me. It doesn't -feel- like anything substantial. I'm sure it's a good game, but it won't sell me the console. What would sell me the console is 3D Mario + Smash Bros. That's it.

I've read every post in this thread (dear god) and I agree with most reasons for its failure that have been mentioned, and their inability to fully embrace online multiplayer is wrecking them, but for me it's just me over here waiting for a new Mario game that isn't 2D or 2.5. Any day now. :(

I did enjoy playing through 3D World in 2-player co-op, but the game itself felt like a level pack for 3D Land. I'm able to remember the stages in Galaxy more clearly despite playing it years ago rather than two days ago.

Co-op is almost as pointlessly frustrating as NSMB Wii and U, mostly because you need to hold a button to run (why?) and that same button picks up other players. At least this time you all share the same lives pool, and being left behind will put you in a bubble rather than killing you.

Peach is very good, especially since her float allows you to jump on enemies more easily, since the fixed perspective makes it very difficult. It's good that character shadows are directly below them, while environmental shadows are cast from a light source.

We ploughed through it in an afternoon, and unless we rented it again to get 100%, then the Wii U is going to gather dust again. The previous games kept me occupied for weeks, and had some genuine innovations and surprises.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

ghostwritingduck posted:

This is true, you stand a better chance of running into a group of people who brought their 3DS to a party.

VVV I did say 'better chance', not 'guaranteed'.

fivegears4reverse fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Dec 30, 2013

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

fivegears4reverse posted:

This is true, you stand a better chance of running into a group of people who brought their 3DS to a party.

Even my friends who write for gaming websites don't bring their 3DS' to a party because that's ridiculous.

TheEggsBenedict
Jan 4, 2013

if i go crazy then
will you still
call me superman

That loving Sned posted:

Co-op is almost as pointlessly frustrating as NSMB Wii and U, mostly because you need to hold a button to run (why?) and that same button picks up other players.
It sounds like you didn't get the point of the co-op mode. If it was a balanced and logical mode that didn't make you want to hate your closest friends, it would be completely pointless. :colbert:

TheEggsBenedict fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Dec 30, 2013

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

TheEggsBenedict posted:

It sounds like you didn't get the point of the co-op mode. If it was a balanced and logical mode that didn't make you want to hate your closest friends, it would be completely pointless. :colbert:

This reminds me of how I knew people who refused to play Double Dragon II in Mode B. I mean, that takes out all of the fun when you can't dropkick your friend for being an rear end in a top hat.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
The Wii U Gamepad has been hacked to play PC games remotely. I may want one now!

http://www.polygon.com/2013/12/30/5256084/hackers-reverse-engineer-wii-u-gamepad-for-pc-streaming

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

That loving Sned posted:

We ploughed through it in an afternoon, and unless we rented it again to get 100%, then the Wii U is going to gather dust again. The previous games kept me occupied for weeks, and had some genuine innovations and surprises.

Collecting everything is half the fun of a Mario game these days. It's no longer about taking warm zones and just beating the game. You're missing out on a ton of content...

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

fivegears4reverse posted:

VVV I did say 'better chance', not 'guaranteed'.

They might bring their 3DS to a party but they don't pass it around and give everyone a chance to play.

And don't do that editting in responses to replies below you thing, everyone hates that.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Even my friends who write for gaming websites don't bring their 3DS' to a party because that's ridiculous.

Well if you're all gonna sit down and play video games on a TV I don't think the premise is any more ridiculous.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

RagnarokAngel posted:

Well if you're all gonna sit down and play video games on a TV I don't think the premise is any more ridiculous.

Are you being serious?

You can't see the difference between people experiencing entertainment together on one screen and experiencing entertainment separately on personal screens?

The reason why four player N64 was so loving fun was because if you weren't playing, you could still watch the TV and see what your friends are doing and take part in their enjoyment until it was your turn. What do you do while all of your friends are musing on their own 3DS screens?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

RagnarokAngel posted:

You don't see how a gaming console on a tv that is at the host's house is more conducive to playing games together than everyone having brought their 3DSes in advance so they can type in the wifi password and finally get some of that sweet 4 player action? The console can be played impromptu, immediately, whereas it has to be a pre-planned thing if you're gonna have 4 3DSes around. I don't know if I can convince you of this but I've definitely turned on a game console on a whim at gatherings, but I haven't hung out with a bunch of people to link handheld systems since pokemon in middle school, and I can't imagine my experience is the uncommon one.

• Locked thread