Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Pimpmust posted:

I was disappointed when the reveal turned out to not be that lanky & all wrongly proportioned Zaku from that cheap-rear end original Gundam episode :saddowns:

Still chuckling at the image of all the characters going :wtc: at seeing that

Isn't that from the lost episode that they never aired on Toonami or included on the DVD sets because the animation was so bad and Tomino really hated it and wanted it wiped from existence?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

SpikeMcclane posted:

We've seen him in action several times. How terrible were all those guys that he was actually able to steal their girlfriends?

From what we've seen, Ricardo is excellent at attracting women, it's just that he's such a massive goon that he drives them away immediately afterwards.

It was never mentioned how long he stole those guys' girlfriends for...

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Gammatron 64 posted:

Isn't that from the lost episode that they never aired on Toonami or included on the DVD sets because the animation was so bad and Tomino really hated it and wanted it wiped from existence?

That's the one. Kukuruz Doan's Island. It's actually a pretty good episode, but it's one of the episodes Tomino personally did a lot of animation for and he's bashful about it.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

StrifeHira posted:

The most important thing to take away from this episode:

Those GP bases can stand up to just about anything, goddamn.

I know it's not the intention, but the middle panel looks like the guy's made his GAW carrier into one of those kid's toys you'd see outside shops where they sit in and ride a plane/train/shuttle/car etc. for a dollar or something and he's squished himself in to it. Which he should have, because it only makes the idea better.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

From one of the animation director's Twitter.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Level Slide posted:

From one of the animation director's Twitter.
Is that China and Sazaki with Meijin's glasses? If so that's adorable and hilarious, respectively.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Have you ever heard of a pilot called China Kosaka?

Simon The Digger
Dec 23, 2010

Some Kind of Magical Idiot
Sazaki wearing those shades makes him look Harry Ord as gently caress. Makes me imagine some kind of Gold SUMO/Gyan hybrid.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Simon The Digger posted:

Sazaki wearing those shades makes him look Harry Ord as gently caress. Makes me imagine some kind of Gold SUMO/Gyan hybrid.

Now I want a scene where the Kawaguchi glasses become a fad in-series, Sazaki buys a pair and does Harry's dandy sleeve adjustment.

FrantzX
Jan 28, 2007
When is a Destroy Gundam going to show up? It would of been much better than a large Zaku.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I'm not sure what world you live in where a Not Psycho Gundam would be better than a god drat 1/12 Zaku II, but I don't want to live in it.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I don't really care for the Destroy personally, but I feel like one of the few Gundam fans here or on 4chan who doesn't care for the Zaku II either. I actually prefer the Destiny ZAKU's, because I think the design is cleaner and more refined. Yea, it's lazy recycling - I don't give a poo poo, it's still a nicer look than the original one. The Leo, the GN-X's and several of the other grunts throughout the franchise are much better looking suits to me. I don't mind it showing up mind, because it is iconic and representative of the franchise - I don't think I'll ever really like the design though.

The Divine Orator
Dec 31, 2008

Getter into the Future, Ryouma-Chan~
I agree that the Seed Zaku is underrated (the Blaze Zaku Phantom is one on my favourite designs) but the original Zaku has a heck of a lot if charm. Though I can't help but imagine a giant Zeta kit in its place, with a battleship sized Waverider mode :allears:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The joke is that there is a 1/12 Zaku II. It might have been cooler to see Your Favorite Mobile Suit supersized, but we got something that actually exists just we never would have thought we'd see it.

Kind of hope that after next episode they resume production on the 1/12 models too, if only for a little bit.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Dec 21, 2013

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I love Zakus, and mono-eye suits in general, whether they be Zeon, Titans, ZAFT or whatever. There is something just evil looking and ominous about a robot with a single red glowing eye, like the Zaku, the Cylons from Battlestar Galatica, HAL 9000 and Shockwave from the Transformers. Zeon suits, in spite of having an inhuman cycloptic eye, are probably the most emotive designs in Gundam given that their eyes move along a track. I love it when their monoeyes move around looking for a target, then look right at you, flash and make that BWOM sound effect. That's always an "oh, poo poo!" moment.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gammatron 64 posted:

I love Zakus, and mono-eye suits in general, whether they be Zeon, Titans, ZAFT or whatever. There is something just evil looking and ominous about a robot with a single red glowing eye, like the Zaku, the Cylons from Battlestar Galatica, HAL 9000 and Shockwave from the Transformers. Zeon suits, in spite of having an inhuman cycloptic eye, are probably the most emotive designs in Gundam given that their eyes move along a track. I love it when their monoeyes move around looking for a target, then look right at you, flash and make that BWOM sound effect. That's always an "oh, poo poo!" moment.

C'mon, they're Zakus. That generally indicates an 'oh, poo poo' moment for the poor sap piloting one.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

These 1/12 models are awesome.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Spelling Mitsake posted:

These 1/12 models are awesome.

Now if only he had proper hips, he wouldn't have to take his legs off to poop.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

The next season should be like the ending credits, where they cosplay their gunpla and battle it out. Sort of like how Digimon went.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

New episode up.

I totally called it was a Mega Size. Also this episode was a bit more focused on advancing the plot, but still the fight against the Zaku II was good enough I don't care.

Also it looks like the Chairman is worried that Reiji is gonna be a Char. :v:

EDIT: Seems there won't be an episode next week due to New Years. Hopefully this'll give the animators the time they need to make OP2 even better.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Dec 23, 2013

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I think this is the best G Gundam suit cameo yet (really minor spoilers for a joke)

http://i.imgur.com/aOKqQVs.jpg

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Since we're still in the Get Points phase there's actually a chance they can lose, so this should stay interesting to watch up until we hit the brackets I'm tired of Reji and Alia's tsundere side show already

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

This episode had the greatest suit from G Gundam Nether Gundam in what might be the greatest reference to European literature ever made in anime.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Oh man, next episode will have a custom WaD from Turn-A. Absolutely cannot wait, I love those things.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I chuckled at how in this universe, Sunrise has even expanded into firearms manufacturing.

srb
Jul 24, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

I totally called it was a Mega Size.

You did indeed. I was basing the 1/12 thing entirely on the size of the hand in the preview as it stretched for the Build Strike and almost grabbed it. I guess the whole scale model thing made me forget the rules about mecha anime scale fluidity!

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I was wondering how long it would take them to bust out that Ramba Ral quote. Too bad CR's translators messed it up. C'mon guys.

wfwon
Apr 19, 2012

Too bad we won't be getting an episode this week due to new year, but I am pretty excited about the new op and possibly the third power of Build Strike.

Also, who thinks we need more Bearagguy screen time in this series.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I watched the entire series today. I admit I didn't care about it, what with it being about toys and all, but I was bored and the first post here made it look pretty good and so I went and watched it.

Holy poo poo I did not expect how good this was. I'm sorry I didn't give it a chance before. This is better than some actual Gundam series (looking at you, AGE).

Also my country appears and that, I admit, gives it lots of points in my book. I can't wait until the twins actually do stuff.

I'm pretty interested about what the third ability of the Star Build Strike Gundam might be, too. I doubt Sei's talking about the Discharge Aqua Mode (which we haven't seen, either, but considering it's a Discharge it'd be part of the second ability), so I wonder what else that kid put into his robot.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Blaze Dragon posted:

I watched the entire series today. I admit I didn't care about it, what with it being about toys and all, but I was bored and the first post here made it look pretty good and so I went and watched it.

Holy poo poo I did not expect how good this was. I'm sorry I didn't give it a chance before. This is better than some actual Gundam series (looking at you, AGE).

Also my country appears and that, I admit, gives it lots of points in my book. I can't wait until the twins actually do stuff.

I'm pretty interested about what the third ability of the Star Build Strike Gundam might be, too. I doubt Sei's talking about the Discharge Aqua Mode (which we haven't seen, either, but considering it's a Discharge it'd be part of the second ability), so I wonder what else that kid put into his robot.

Yeah, I had a hard time convincing my friend to watch it when trying to explain how a show about making toys fight each other is actually good.

On the note of the third ability I'm expecting some sort of trans-am destroy plavsky anime power up mode.

wfwon
Apr 19, 2012

Luminaflare posted:

On the note of the third ability I'm expecting some sort of trans-am destroy plavsky anime power up mode.

Sometimes I really wonder how does the gunpla builder set these unique abilities in their suit in the anime.

Winky
Jan 3, 2013

wfwon posted:

Sometimes I really wonder how does the gunpla builder set these unique abilities in their suit in the anime.

The power of imagination, obvs.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I think it's a combination of "I can make up my own stuff, this MS isn't bound to it's source material" and standard shonen supermode plot powers.

wfwon
Apr 19, 2012

Zedd posted:

I think it's a combination of "I can make up my own stuff, this MS isn't bound to it's source material" and standard shonen supermode plot powers.

I guess that would be the only explanation, but I do wish they had some kind of plausible reason for the new modes, like I-field is basically a coating in the gunpla model.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Well, you can kind of work out roughly what most of them are doing. Like, Mao uses the plavsky particles to power his satellite cannon instead of moonlight in some manner. It's probably just replacing one power source with another though, so it's not exactly anything too complex - just surprising mostly, because you don't expect it. Sei has set up a plavsky field in the shield of the Star Build that collects incoming beam energy as fuel basically instead of registering it as a hit to the unit. Remember that most of the effects in the battles are just that: effects. They're not actually happening, it's just computer generated effects to make them prettier and more exciting for the combatants and the crowd from what I/we can gather. He's just set his GP base/gunpla to register beam shots differently, so long as they hit the shield while the absorption part is open. The discharge powers are probably similar, in that it's probably as much about setting the GP base's instructions/programming as it is about building custom parts for the gunpla that the base/game can register as allowing those new codes.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The Big Thing about the Star Build Strike is that it's primarily built for Gunpla Battle. Now that sounds obvious, but the thing that was tripping Sei up earlier was that he was sticking way too hard to canon. The Build Strike and the Build mkII could conceivably exist in the SEED and UC universes respectively, and as such feature relatively subdued weapons and gimmicks. But then China came in with her cotton-filled Bearguy III and reminded him that no matter how "realistic" the game is, it's still just a game.

If you think about it, the Absorb Shield fundamentally doesn't work in a Gundam setting. In the UC, beams are plasma wrapped in Minovsky particles and shot at high velocities towards a target. It's easy to stop them if you have a powerful enough I-field, but there's absolutely no way you could absorb it; and even if you did, the mech wouldn't be able to do much more than maybe refill an E-cap with it. Meanwhile, over in CE beams are... complicated. There's like six different kinds, ranging from railguns to loving antimatter reactions so an absorption mechanic is even more improbable. The closest we get is what Sei probably initially based the Star Build on (the Stargazer), and that thing didn't absorb beams as much as it could bend them.

So with that established, what's the first thing we see the Star Build do? Absorb a beam from a SEED mech and then a UC mech. The show, clever as ever about not confusing new viewers, mostly portrays it as a "I can absorb little beams AND big beams", but if you're as big a Gundam fan as Sei is you'll know that that makes absolutely no sense. So why does it work? Because in Gunpla Battles all beams are just Plavsky particles. They may look a little different depending on what universe the mech is from, but they're all the same thing. So of course the Absorb Shield can work.

Anyways where I'm going with this is that both of the discharges we've seen on the Star Build are easy enough to explain. Thanks to the Absorb Shield the thing's got a huge reservoir of Plavsky particles to tap into. And remember that everything in Gunpla Battle is a result of Plavsky particles. Speed mode? Sei has the Star surround itself in particles, greatly amplifying the "make Gunpla plastic move" effect (resulting in the speed boost), shorting out anything in range by overloading them (the quasi-Moonlight Butterfly), and of course super charging the thrusters to create the Wings of Light effect. Discharge mode? Sei just pumps all the particles into the gun to turbocharge the "make beams happen" effect. None of this would work in the typical Gundam setting where all these things are governed by different laws of physics, but Sei doesn't have to deal with that because Gunpla Battles are hilariously unrealistic once you see through the kayfabe.

tl;dr Plavksy Particles, I don't got to explain poo poo.

EDIT: Also Obari tweeted that the next OP is really awesome, so that's something to look forward to. And the second ED's by Hyadain!

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jan 1, 2014

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
There's still a lot of handwavey stuff, don't forget about that. No real reason for "metal lined barrel" to actually improve performance other than sounding totally awesome and cool.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Eej posted:

There's still a lot of handwavey stuff, don't forget about that. No real reason for "metal lined barrel" to actually improve performance other than sounding totally awesome and cool.

Higher melting point than whatever plastic they're using? Might be important if whatever Plavsky particles do is exothermic.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

That one makes sense though? A metal barrel can presumably handle a greater load of plavsky particles than straight plastic, leading to a stronger beam. The only reason we're not seeing everyone rock Metal Builds is probably because diecast steel doesn't start moving when exposed to plotsky particles.

The real question is how the hell stuff reloads.

EDIT: Welp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Actually since things like beams are entirely artificial effects created by the system it probably makes it stronger simply because it makes the actual gunpla itself more durable and for nothing else. It's a better built kit so the system rewards it for more effort based on the build quality.

• Locked thread