Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

Zonekeeper posted:

Of all the headcovers they used, the steel pot with an A on it looked the best. Run with that and stick him in the current Army helmet.

Make it blue, add an A and wings, and make the goggle lens clear.

It's functional AND looks better than that piece of poo poo on the magazine cover.

That would look like rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Irish Joe posted:

Yeah, Disney isn't going to put Johansson in a burka to please a handful of internet agitators.

She could maybe, face the camera like everyone else in the photo?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

LividLiquid posted:

How the hell are you gonna' have a cap uniform that's not red, white, and blue?
Isn't it because he is working for SHIELD and they want him to look a little less conspicuous in his uniform?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

achillesforever6 posted:

Isn't it because he is working for SHIELD and they want him to look a little less conspicuous in his uniform?
Yes, that's a SHIELD uniform from the comics they're going with

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Perhaps it will fit in with the tone of the film as A DARK AMERICA WITH DARKNESS RUNNING UNDERNEATH DARK THINGS OF MODERN DARK TIMES. More muted than colorful and heroic.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

achillesforever6 posted:

Hey is that the internationally famous hero that helped save NYC from aliens and fought in WW2? No way, that guy is wearing different colors.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Wasn't Emily VanCamp supposed to have a significant role in Winter Soldier? I remember the casting news and the rumor (not sure if it was ever confirmed) that she was playing Sharon Carter, but I haven't seen even a glimpse of her in any of the promotional stuff.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ShakeZula posted:

Wasn't Emily VanCamp supposed to have a significant role in Winter Soldier? I remember the casting news and the rumor (not sure if it was ever confirmed) that she was playing Sharon Carter, but I haven't seen even a glimpse of her in any of the promotional stuff.

She's been in a few stills, I don't recall seeing her in the trailer.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

I'm just glad his ears are out in this one. In a lot of the original promo stuff for both Cap 1 and avengers his ears were out, but in the movie they were covered.

Why does this matter? What benefit is there to Captain America having his ears stick out like some kind of weirdo?

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Sentinel Red posted:

Why does this matter? What benefit is there to Captain America having his ears stick out like some kind of weirdo?

Auditory realism.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

FlamingLiberal posted:

First closeup looks at Winter Soldier and the new Cap uniform:

I know the face paint instead of a mask has been done many times before, but all I see is Winn Butler from The Arcade Fire's video for Reflekor. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7E0fVfectDo&t=239s

And I don't think he'd do well in a fight against Captain America.

Polkergeist
Sep 2, 2011

wyoming posted:

Sentinel Red posted:

Auditory realism.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Sentinel Red posted:

The avengers suit made his head look like a dildo.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
It's a skull. He's Blue Skull.

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010

greatn posted:

She could maybe, face the camera like everyone else in the photo?

I'm really impressed they managed to include her breasts in the shot. It's that stupid comic book pose (from the Avengers poster, even!) with the twisted torso. I wonder how long she managed to maintain the pose.

Between this and the interviewer asking if Gadot would wear padding/get surgery for Wonder Woman, we're at a really great point for women in comic book films.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

AGirlWonder posted:

Between this and the interviewer asking if Gadot would wear padding/get surgery for Wonder Woman, we're at a really great point for women in comic book films.

Ouch. When did that one happen? I heard about the interviewer making a comment that Wonder Woman was bustier than Gadot, but I didn't think anyone would be dumb enough to actually ask if she was going to get implants for the role.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

ShakeZula posted:

Wasn't she cut?

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Dan Didio posted:

Wasn't she cut?

She's still being mentioned in all the blurbs (also starring Samuel L Jackson, Anthony Mackie, Emily Van Camp, etc)

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Skwirl posted:

You've got red on the shield, so...
Every time he throws the shield, he's representing El Salvador or Finland.

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010

jivjov posted:

Ouch. When did that one happen? I heard about the interviewer making a comment that Wonder Woman was bustier than Gadot, but I didn't think anyone would be dumb enough to actually ask if she was going to get implants for the role.

Hmm. I took the "Wonder Woman is large-breasted, is that going to change?" line as asking if Gadot was going to alter her appearance for the role. Looking back, I probably misinterpreted the question. That's okay, though, because asking about a woman's breasts is still a really disgusting thing to do!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

This isn't a question of bulking up, though. It's more akin to "character x has a giant dong. Will you be getting surgery to enhance your dong?"

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010

LividLiquid posted:

This isn't a question of bulking up, though. It's more akin to "character x has a giant dong. Will you be getting surgery to enhance your dong?"

Exactly.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
ALL comicbook women have giant boobs because they are all barbie dolls with costume painted on, with the same face and the same body and just differently colored hair, just like male superheroes are differently painted he-man action figures. Did someone go up to every woman to play a role in the X Men movies and ask them about boobs?

(besides Electra, Susan Storm, and Black Widow, I can't really think of other female superheroes in movies, so I guess the territory of having a WOMAN be a superhero is still someone new and disorienting for some people to understand)

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster

Dan Didio posted:

Wasn't she cut?

For Christ's sake, can we maybe steer the conversation away from women's bodies?

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

LividLiquid posted:

So it's kinda like the treatment Crudup got before Watchmen. :v:

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Jessica Biel bulked up pretty good for Blade Trinity so Gal Gadot shouldn't look too scrawny at least.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Narciss posted:

For Christ's sake, can we maybe steer the conversation away from women's bodies?

You can, and YOU VERY MUCH SHOULD.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Rita Repulsa posted:

ALL comicbook women have giant boobs because they are all barbie dolls with costume painted onwith the same face and the same body and just differently colored hair
Dude, I think if we want to have truly critical and productive conversations about comics then we shouldn't just deprecate the source material constantly or use hyperbole to reflect trends. Especially when you have a comment that includes everything from Love and Rockets to A Contract with God to Scott Pilgrim to the superheroine Marvel just introduced.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Irish Joe posted:

Yeah, Disney isn't going to put Johansson in a burka to please a handful of internet agitators.
That's... not what anyone is asking for?

I mean it's super obvious the only one in the boobs and butt pose on the cover is her. Once you start noticing that pose, you see it everywhere. It's like the Fed Ex arrow of sexism.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Cardboard Box A posted:

That's... not what anyone is asking for?

Psssh, noticing sexist portrayals means that you want to stifle fictional women's sexual freedom, the way they do in those scary Islamic countries.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

New Cap 2 pics:

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

The MSJ posted:

New Cap 2 pics:

I know everyone's been tearing the new costume apart, but I just want to say how much better it is than the Avenger's costume in every conceivable way.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah, that's a lot better. I hope the helmet is just for promo pics.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

New X-Men set picture

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The MSJ posted:

New Cap 2 pics:

Oof, that is a rough-looking hairpiece they've got Evans wearing.

The MSJ posted:

New X-Men set picture

I have to say, I'm surprised that Hoult has been in so many set and promo photos thus far. It seems like Beast is going to have a pretty significant role in DoFP.

MortonTheCranium
Nov 25, 2004

We're cousins. (bros)
Wasn't Beast blue by then or did his blueness somehow get reversed?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Could just be a set photo with Hoult being there without a scene.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MortonTheCranium posted:

Wasn't Beast blue by then or did his blueness somehow get reversed?

First Class took place in 1962, while Days of Future Past is set in 1973; he's seen in the trailer in his blue furry state choking the life out of Magneto, but appearing normally in promo photos, so ... I don't know.

quote:

Could just be a set photo with Hoult being there without a scene.

There's a scene in the trailer, and a couple of promo shots, of Beast-as-human, Wolverine and Xavier approaching Cerebro. I presume Beast is the character who figures out that Wolverine is telling the truth about traveling back in time.

Timby fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Dec 30, 2013

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Baron von Eevl posted:

I know everyone's been tearing the new costume apart, but I just want to say how much better it is than the Avenger's costume in every conceivable way.

I actually really do like it though it comes off as puffy and want to lose the helmet. Then again, this looks like it might actually be something resembling clothing rather than some rubber mesh thing. And the dark tone fits the DARKNESS of the times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Everyone freaking out over that comment about her boobs, it's probably just a matter of a less than optimal translation from Hebrew or whatever the interview was conducted in. Busty and voluptuous are synonyms for large-breasted but had either of those words been used instead the meaning would have been a lot different.

• Locked thread