Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug
When I saw there were like sixty new posts I assumed there was an exciting new Kickstarter. Nope. Just two people playing "gotcha" :smuggo: with each other about dumb noise created by dumb people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Crash74 posted:

Oh whats up, 3 pages of :qqsay: about a stupid game made by stupid people for stupid people. Take this poo poo over to e/n :downswords:.

Drat, i was wondering why it was only 25 mb, didnt they say that it would be out today?

Today is the plan. They're on PST so unless they've already got it set to go with the Steam daily push, who knows when it'll be.

Crash74
May 11, 2009
Hopefully it will be a semi-stable non dog turd. Ill call it a success if it runs more than a hour without a ctd.

Crash74 fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Dec 30, 2013

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Crash74 posted:

Hopefully it will be a semi-stable non dog turd. Ill call it a success if it runs more than a hour without a ctd.

I'm just hoping for a decent bug-tracker.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

dijon du jour posted:

I'm just hoping for a decent bug-tracker.

What is it with kick starters and bad bug tracking? Dwarf Fortress of all things has better bug tracking than any kick starter I've yet backed. Hex and Stone hearth both seem to think a forum is a good substitute and it ain't.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

The Stonehearth alpha is up now. :woop:

I've played around with it briefly and it looks pretty neat, however I'm not sure how much time I will put into it until they put out a version that can save progress.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Trapezium Dave posted:

I've played around with it briefly and it looks pretty neat, however I'm not sure how much time I will put into it until they put out a version that can save progress.

Or at least a version where my villagers have the wherewithal to finish what they start. I have a half-dozen half-built houses that my villagers refuse to complete, and now they've decided the best use of their time is repeatedly picking up and putting down the same blocks of wood. :negative:

The game also badly needs some optimization. Animations have an alarming tendency to chug even on my gaming rig that has zero problem playing Skyrim with hi-res texture packs installed.

In other words, yeah, this gave is very, very, very, obviously Alpha. It has lots of promise, though, and I'm excited to see what the future holds.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Any new word about the date for the Pathologic remake?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Trapezium Dave posted:

I regret not backing this one in time now :smith:

Ah well I'll just wait for the release, don't feel like buying into alpha at this point.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Accordion Man posted:

Any new word about the date for the Pathologic remake?

No. They did get mentioned recently on a Russian gamedev insider podcast. TL;DR - They've heard how much money IPL is planning on asking for and they think the sum is ridiculous and they have no chance of making it. There was incredulous laughter and shaking of heads involved. We'll see I suppose.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Crash74 posted:

Right now there's some awesome bug that makes every day after the first end in 10 seconds: the sun rises and sets super rapidly, leaving you in another long dark night and everyone is immediately hungry again. Right now if someone is hungry they won't move to pick food even if they're standing right next to the food tree, so it's difficult to get anything done without having to close the game and start over.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

madjackmcmad posted:

Right now there's some awesome bug that makes every day after the first end in 10 seconds: the sun rises and sets super rapidly, leaving you in another long dark night and everyone is immediately hungry again. Right now if someone is hungry they won't move to pick food even if they're standing right next to the food tree, so it's difficult to get anything done without having to close the game and start over.

It's buggy as hell but the parts that *are* working look great. It's not really even an "alpha", though, it's just "this is what we had working by the end of December, and we promised people access to an alpha by the end of December, so have a look."

I see it as more of a playable tech demo than an "alpha." What's there is neat and well-done though.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It's buggy as hell but the parts that *are* working look great. It's not really even an "alpha", though, it's just "this is what we had working by the end of December, and we promised people access to an alpha by the end of December, so have a look."

I see it as more of a playable tech demo than an "alpha." What's there is neat and well-done though.

I am tickled pink to finally play Stonehearth, even in this super early form. As an alpha, it would be more useful to them in terms of gathering feedback and data if it was playable for more than a single game-day before bugging out.

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

Why is there so much hate for Anita Sarkeesian any way. She has raised a few valid points on different subjects now and again.

thelaughingman fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jan 1, 2014

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

thelaughingman posted:

Why is there so much hate for Anita Sarkeesian any way. She has raised a few valid points now and again.
Because misogynistic manchildren get very angry when a woman dares to imply that there might be institutional sexism in their favorite hobby, and even more angry when that woman is extremely intelligent, well-spoken, and able to make effective, difficult-to-refute points while still being a fan of many of the games she is critiquing.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

thelaughingman posted:

Why is there so much hate for Anita Sarkeesian any way. She has raised a few valid points now and again.

In all seriousness: because she's a woman.

Some people are critical of her for things that are legit. But the people who hate her, it's all down to her being a woman.

If it was some random dude making the exact same videos and saying the exact same thing, there wouldn't be nearly the hate.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

thelaughingman posted:

It's partly misogyny and partly her criticizing video games and video gamers. It's basically a double whammy of the hate most female game devs get and the hate Roger Ebert got.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I think her videos themselves are fairly basic and shallow, honestly, but good on her for doing something truly productive - I feel like gender issues in the industry have been discussed more over the past year alone than in the collective history of gaming, in large part due to people like her. Diversity is something we should all champion.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Hakkesshu posted:

I think her videos themselves are fairly basic and shallow, honestly, but good on her for doing something truly productive - I feel like gender issues in the industry have been discussed more over the past year alone than in the collective history of gaming, in large part due to people like her. Diversity is something we should all champion.

"Basic" is really where you need to start with this sort of thing. If you get into the more complicated issues of feminism people will probably just call bullshit or say you're imagining things. But listing off example after example after example after example of problematic gender stereotypes in fiction is pretty hard to refute without listing the 5 examples (Mirror's Edge! Beyond Good & Evil!) that do some things well in regards to women protagonists, making yourself look like an idiot.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Hakkesshu posted:

I think they're a fairly solid introduction to the ideas, and anything in greater depth would be too easily dismissed by everyone due to tl;dr and the like, or else lost in the depths of the internet due to people being unable to discuss it at a 'popular' level.

Has she made a new video yet? Or just the three (four?)?

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Drifter posted:

Has she made a new video yet? Or just the three (four?)?
She put out a call for backer input for the Fighting gently caress Toy video a month ago so I assume it's currently in development.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

thelaughingman posted:

She has raised a few valid points on different subjects now and again.

Every point she makes it valid.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
All of her videos are so blandly inoffensive and obvious that the two most common opinions about her are "eh whatever, her videos are fine I guess" and "GET RAPED AND DIE." Such is video game culture.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

It is distressing how common an immediate unthinking negative reaction to any sort of feminism is and "gamers" often have a quick emotional reaction to anyone critiquing gaming or any game they've ever liked. Tackling both is a hell of a thing.

Install Windows posted:

If it was some random dude making the exact same videos and saying the exact same thing, there wouldn't be nearly the hate.

Definitely. They really should have made the first video presented by a blandly nerdy British guy just to show the differences when the second video goes up with her presenting.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

This happened recently: Anita criticized Spelunky, Spelunky creator responded positively and agreed with Anita, some Spelunky fans became angry at him.

http://storify.com/metasynthie/reasonable-responses-to-the-unreasonable-derek-yu

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.

The MSJ posted:

This happened recently: Anita criticized Spelunky, Spelunky creator responded positively and agreed with Anita, some Spelunky fans became angry at him.

http://storify.com/metasynthie/reasonable-responses-to-the-unreasonable-derek-yu

One of those times I really wish I had the ability to know who in a discussion regularly wears fedoras.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

The MSJ posted:

I'm curious -- and I'm not saying anything here between Anita a Derek was wrong at all -- how do you implement a rescue system without offending anybody? The problem here that I'm gathering is that just the fact that a lady was put in a situation where they're a damsel rubbed some people the wrong way because that situation occurs too much in story-telling. Because it occurs so much, women have been stereotyped as helpless, right? So, would it just be as simple as removing any sex appeal on any damsels and just not have anyone you rescue kiss you? Or should women not be portrayed as being in danger at all?

Butt Ghost fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jan 2, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Butt Ghost posted:

I'm curious -- and I'm not saying anything here between Anita a Derek was wrong at all -- how do you implement a rescue system without offending anybody? The problem here that I'm gathering is that just the fact that a lady was put in a situation where they're a damsel rubbed some people the wrong way because that situation occurs too much in story-telling. Because it occurs so much, it's women have been stereotyped as helpless, right? So, would it just be as simple as removing any sex appeal on any damsels and just not have anyone you rescue kiss you? Or should women not be portrayed as being in danger at all?

Apparently, the spelunky guy and her are discussing exactly that in private and it's possibly going to be in an update.

Crash74
May 11, 2009

thelaughingman posted:

Why is there so much hate for Anita Sarkeesian any way. She has raised a few valid points on different subjects now and again.

PLEASE JUST STOP. 15 unrelated bullshit posts later.

Edit: does anyone know how to make stonehearth run in fullscreen?

Crash74 fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jan 2, 2014

Zooloo
Mar 30, 2003

just wanted to make you something beautiful
I'm not probating anyone because the discussion was actually really good, but I'd encourage people to make their points and then let the thread move forward to continue talking about kickstarters.

This is mainly aimed at people who criticize Anita. Nobody cares and especially nobody wants to hear you defend your "reasonable" criticism of her criticism.

Carry on.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Crash74 posted:

PLEASE JUST STOP. 15 unrelated bullshit posts later.

Edit: does anyone know how to make stonehearth run in fullscreen?

I don't think you can right now. Like other people have said, it's a very early alpha, but the parts that actually work right now are already really cool. Once they fix houses to actually finish building, i'll probably mess around more, but for now it's just nice to see how pretty it looks.

DancingPenguin
Nov 27, 2012

I ish kakadu.

Niton posted:

I don't think you can right now. Like other people have said, it's a very early alpha, but the parts that actually work right now are already really cool. Once they fix houses to actually finish building, i'll probably mess around more, but for now it's just nice to see how pretty it looks.

Nope, not even the usual Alt+Enter seems to work.
You get some debugging facts by pressing Ctrl though.
And pressing Spacebar made some hilarious graphical artifacts cover my entire screen.

Crash74
May 11, 2009
The music is very well done, hopefully they have different themes for underground, sky ect.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Install Windows posted:

Apparently, the spelunky guy and her are discussing exactly that in private and it's possibly going to be in an update.

:10bux: says the "fix" in question would be removing the woman as an option for the damsel.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Delusibeta posted:

:10bux: says the "fix" in question would be removing the woman as an option for the damsel.

New character: cave monkey!!!

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Delusibeta posted:

Well, and the dude. More likely a puppy or something.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Kenshin posted:

Well, and the dude. More likely a puppy or something.

For context:

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Perfect.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I haven't played the game much but apparently this is already in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Uhm yeah, those have been in the game since the 360 release (if not earlier). I was wondering what people were talking about, or if I was missing a joke or something.

You can choose which one you want to show up as the Damsel, or set it to give you them randomly.