Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
So what is the word on maxx updates? Are they still active or delayed?

Its been something like 12 days since the announced everyone is gonna get it date and I'm still not on kitkat :(

Sure I don't want to brick my phone, but I haven't heard anything either way. For everyone still waiting,there is a person saying I just got it, so I don't know anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Roundboy posted:

So what is the word on maxx updates? Are they still active or delayed?

Its been something like 12 days since the announced everyone is gonna get it date and I'm still not on kitkat :(

Sure I don't want to brick my phone, but I haven't heard anything either way. For everyone still waiting,there is a person saying I just got it, so I don't know anymore.

It's in some sort of weird limbo.

They started pushing it to everyone immediately after the soak testers, but then pulled it right after people started reporting phones were bricking. Most people did not receive any sort of feedback survey about the soak test which is usually standard procedure. The soak forums are also still up and running which is odd so long after a soak test. The forums usually close and then a final survey is sent out usually less than a week after the test. It's been 10 days now.

At this point, I think they are sifting through the feedback on the forums as well as doing post mortem on exchanged bricked phones and creating a revised update even though they haven't said as much. I wouldn't expect to hear something further until after the holidays.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up

SeaborneClink posted:

I'm not sure if this still works, but the previous work around is getting an moto maker key from care/in-store. Moto maker does not recognize alternate upgrades.

I don't think that I can get a wooden-backed Moto X with a PIN from the store, though :(

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
At this point I would suggest you use the upgrade to get an iPhone 5S and then sell that to pay for the Moto X.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

The Human Cow posted:

I don't think that I can get a wooden-backed Moto X with a PIN from the store, though :(

You process the upgrade in a corporate store, 611 might be able to do it too, they give you a PIN. You plug the PIN into the motomaker website and receive a phone.

SeaborneClink fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Dec 30, 2013

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
Are there any plan discounts for a John Q Everyman like myself? I'm on Sprint currently and paying $70/mo+tax for "unlimited", however it's limited by some janky reception so I was hoping to hop over to Verizon.

However, a 2GB Verizon plan is $100/mo+tax so paying close to 50% more than I am now and having to stay under the data limit seems like a non-starter. I work for a small company so no discount there.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

CapnBry posted:

Are there any plan discounts for a John Q Everyman like myself? I'm on Sprint currently and paying $70/mo+tax for "unlimited", however it's limited by some janky reception so I was hoping to hop over to Verizon.

However, a 2GB Verizon plan is $100/mo+tax so paying close to 50% more than I am now and having to stay under the data limit seems like a non-starter. I work for a small company so no discount there.

Give this thread a read:
http://m.slickdeals.net/f/6317812-2...rrent-customers

People are still having luck as a brand new customer getting the 2GB plan for $60/mo.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

CapnBry posted:

Get under someone else's plan and split the cost is the absolute cheapest way. But if you're not the sharing sort, you can get a $60 loyalty plan if you have less than a year left on your contract normally; I've heard of people getting it before that, but that would involve shenanigans I'm not aware of.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???
So I've been out of the phone game for a while, but my wife would like an iPhone 5S and we'd love to go shop for one tomorrow. Are they in stock at Verizon stores or is it a "keep checking online until they are in stock" sorta thing? Also, we have a standard 2gb family plan sorta thing or whatever VZN calls it, does possessing an iPhone change any of that or can all remain as is?

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

wattershed posted:

So I've been out of the phone game for a while, but my wife would like an iPhone 5S and we'd love to go shop for one tomorrow. Are they in stock at Verizon stores or is it a "keep checking online until they are in stock" sorta thing? Also, we have a standard 2gb family plan sorta thing or whatever VZN calls it, does possessing an iPhone change any of that or can all remain as is?

As a Verizon customer for a whole 2 days, I just went through buying an iPhone 5S for one of my lines on my plan. They seem to be in stock everywhere (we ended up buying from Best Buy mobile, but the Verizon store near me had a bunch of them too). Having an iPhone on the plan had no bearing on being on a Share Everything plan.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
What are the chances of me getting out of the three activation fees I'll probably be incurring as a new customer? Is Verizon any easier or harder (or impossible?) to get out of them?

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
I got my fee's waived during a promotion at best buy mobile. They might not have been waived but there was a credit back that was slightly greater than the fees. Something like that I don't quite remember.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
There was a company wide promotion going until 12/24 that waived activations.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
Yeah I missed the promotion by 4 days. I guess I can't bitch too hard I got a Moto X and an S4 for free and a super cheap iPhone 5S. But I'd still like to try and make up for some of the ETF I paid to Sprint. I guess I'll try to haggle with their CS people.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

ninmeister posted:

As a Verizon customer for a whole 2 days, I just went through buying an iPhone 5S for one of my lines on my plan. They seem to be in stock everywhere (we ended up buying from Best Buy mobile, but the Verizon store near me had a bunch of them too). Having an iPhone on the plan had no bearing on being on a Share Everything plan.

Sounds like we're in the same boat. Appreciate you assuaging my concerns, thanks!

lox
Apr 24, 2006

coffin party
This is an odd question, but I'm sort of confused as far as tablets (a Cellular iPad specifically) and my Verizon plan. I have share everything with 6 devices on the plan, the iPad being one. Originally I was paying $10 a month to have a tablet on my plan. Back in February, I learned that upon purchase of the new iPad was granted a free upgrade and used this to purchase a new iPhone. Now, my question is, is my iPad now locked in contract for two years? When I check upgrade availability it says April 2015 (being April 2013 when I used the upgrade).

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

lox posted:

This is an odd question, but I'm sort of confused as far as tablets (a Cellular iPad specifically) and my Verizon plan. I have share everything with 6 devices on the plan, the iPad being one. Originally I was paying $10 a month to have a tablet on my plan. Back in February, I learned that upon purchase of the new iPad was granted a free upgrade and used this to purchase a new iPhone. Now, my question is, is my iPad now locked in contract for two years? When I check upgrade availability it says April 2015 (being April 2013 when I used the upgrade).

Did you get a discount on the iPad that hit you with the two year contract? That would make sense then, looks like you get $100 off the purchase price.

Both of the iPads on my account (purchased from Apple store) show that they are immediately available for upgrades.

Not sure about the phone though, they gave you an early upgrade for buying an iPad?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Just guessing from the information given: He most likely purchased the iPad at full retail and the line was attached without a contract. When this happens, the line has an "upgrade" on it but really it's just that it never had a subsidized price. You can use that upgrade for a phone as well, but it does extend the contract.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

To add to this, if he now wants to get rid of that iPad, he can't cancel the service on it w/o incurring an ETF.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

FordPRefectLL posted:

Just guessing from the information given: He most likely purchased the iPad at full retail and the line was attached without a contract. When this happens, the line has an "upgrade" on it but really it's just that it never had a subsidized price. You can use that upgrade for a phone as well, but it does extend the contract.

Officially, new non-contract non-phones added like this no longer qualify for upgrades. Iconic should kick it out saying 'device not eligible' if processed straight through as an alternate upgrade.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

SeaborneClink posted:

Officially, new non-contract non-phones added like this no longer qualify for upgrades. Iconic should kick it out saying 'device not eligible' if processed straight through as an alternate upgrade.

It is really easy to get around by just temporarily tossing the test device ESN on there and then doing the alternate but yes officially not possible. Verizon store employees tend not to know any of the tricks so how this happened :iiam:

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

FordPRefectLL posted:

It is really easy to get around by just temporarily tossing the test device ESN on there and then doing the alternate but yes officially not possible. Verizon store employees tend not to know any of the tricks so how this happened :iiam:
Oh I know. Remember they're incentivized via their job security not to advocate or acknowledge things like, false churn, test device shenanigans, unlimited-line monte. Punishment or 'retraining' for not using company approved procedures is going to range from written/final to termination. What's Verizon worst thing that Verizon can immediately to you, reverse your $30 commission. Anything more is going to require interaction from your district field account manager, and your district manager and really only comes to this in cases of egregious fraud, falsifying credit apps, etc.

tl;dr most of them, contrary to popular belief, aren't as stupid as they come across. They're just incredibly restricted in what they can do/advocate.

SeaborneClink fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Dec 31, 2013

lox
Apr 24, 2006

coffin party

FordPRefectLL posted:

This and,

AlexDeGruven posted:

To add to this, if he now wants to get rid of that iPad, he can't cancel the service on it w/o incurring an ETF.

This. Thank you. So I basically have to wait another year and some before I do anything with the iPad.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You can get rid of the iPad, but you will have to keep paying $10/month for service you're not actually using. I guess it depends on whether you think it will lose $120 in value between now and a year from now.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Well that makes me appreciate my freedom as an indirect a little more. I do work with a lot of habitual liars and idiots though.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Incidentally, if $10 tablet lines get standard two year upgrades, I might have to switch to share everything. I add $240/year to my service costs, but I can get a new phone every year which is a $400 subsidy. Hm.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

Incidentally, if $10 tablet lines get standard two year upgrades, I might have to switch to share everything. I add $240/year to my service costs, but I can get a new phone every year which is a $400 subsidy. Hm.

At that point, wouldn't edge just make more sense? Assuming you don't really want tablet service and are doing it purely for the upgrade.

Gnomedolf
Jun 9, 2013

Freelance Gynecologist
Just switched from Sprints dial up speed LTE to Verizon. My first speed test:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Gnomedolf
Jun 9, 2013

Freelance Gynecologist
And when I say Sprints dial up speed LTE, I mean it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Jeez,is sprint really like that? Average dial up ping is around 200ms and 5x the speed if not more. You can get around the world in 1000 ms.

Gnomedolf
Jun 9, 2013

Freelance Gynecologist

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Jeez,is sprint really like that? Average dial up ping is around 200ms. You can get around the world in 1000 ms.

Yes, it is that bad here in SW Florida. Their 3G is unusable.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Jeez,is sprint really like that? Average dial up ping is around 200ms and 5x the speed if not more. You can get around the world in 1000 ms.
Yes they are, I'm glad I jumped ship, all my friends were anticipating LTE when it finally got a few towers in Alabama, they all got new LTE phones and extended their contracts and now they're all upset because their LTE is pretty much back down to 3G speeds.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Wow - when a friend of mine and I canceled our shared Sprint account they were trying to convince us that if we just held out until this coming summer they'd be rolling out LTE in our area and our next to unusable 3G data problems would be a thing of the past.

At the time our response was "we don't believe you'll have LTE by summer 2014," instead I guess it should have been "even if you do it won't help things any."

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
It's because LTE cell sites and backhaul to the tower are two different things. I can think of one minor northeast city in Verizon's roll out where they added LTE cells but didn't upgrade the old lovely poo poo poo poo backhaul. And even when the same data link was used for 3G, the main problem wasn't speed, it was latency.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

notwithoutmyanus posted:

That is 10 KB/sec, dial up is NOT 5 times faster than that.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

big mean giraffe posted:

That is 10 KB/sec, dial up is NOT 5 times faster than that.

Yeah, 0.08mbps instead is only slightly faster than 56k.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

hoobajoo posted:

At that point, wouldn't edge just make more sense? Assuming you don't really want tablet service and are doing it purely for the upgrade.
Looking it up, they stopped having tablet subsidies awhile ago, so it wouldn't work now. I'd have to do Edge and that's not really as good. I have a Verizon iPad Air, so tablet service wouldn't be the worst thing, even though I rarely use wireless service on it.

charsiu
Mar 10, 2012

FordPRefectLL posted:

Yeah, 0.08mbps instead is only slightly faster than 56k.

That's about the speed I get with LTE in midtown Manhattan. 3G is way better so I've opted to use that in the meantime. Who knows when more capacity will be added around here.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
So I seemed to have been bumped from unlimited data to a 6 gig/month plan without any notification. Is this a thing happening to anyone else? I recently got a Moto X but did not use my upgrade to do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

SpartanIV posted:

So I seemed to have been bumped from unlimited data to a 6 gig/month plan without any notification. Is this a thing happening to anyone else? I recently got a Moto X but did not use my upgrade to do so.

Contact customer service immediately. Unless you took a subsidy that shouldn't happen. It might some time but they should be able to restore your unlimited.

• Locked thread