Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Barudak
May 7, 2007

Geographica posted:

Xbox Wire has just posted January's Games with Gold: Sleeping Dogs and Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light.

Whoa Whoa, Sleeping Dogs? Games with gold suddenly became respectable-ish.

Guardian of Light of course also owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I...am actually really excited for those!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
drat, I let Gold expire too soon.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I sort of lost steam about 30% through Sleeping Dogs and sent it back to gamefly, but if be happy to have it on my hard drive to mess around with.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Guess I'll try asking here: Downloaded The Wolf Among Us on XBLA since it was free, and I'm hooked. Unfortunately it has terrible stuttering issues, especially near the end of the first episode. Failed almost every QT action in the final fight at the bar because of it. Is the PC version any better?

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

That's not a bad GwG offering at all. I... never actually played any Tomb Raider games before.

Also, reminder that tomorrow is the last day for a bunch of sales. Get Charlie Murder and Brothers if you don't already have them.

I also want to say get TMNT:OOTS. It's a good game, I've been playing it a bunch since I bought it the other day. Not perfect, the intro stage has framerate issues like whoa but they go away once you get to the first real stage, the combat is fun and you can switch turtles on the fly at any time. The physics engine is going places and it could do with a slightly better camera, but nothing really serious. I can really recommend it at 50% off (but not really at full price, so seize the opportunity).

...and I really want to try playing it in actual co-op. 4-playering that poo poo, having a dedicated turtle for everyone, would be awesome.

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Dec 30, 2013

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

KennyMan666 posted:

That's not a bad GwG offering at all. I... never actually played any Tomb Raider games before.

Guardian of Light is a good game, but it's not exactly indicative of other TR games. You should play it, though, especially co-op, it's a blast.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

KennyMan666 posted:

You still won't have after Guardians of Light; its a co-op overhead twinstick shooter/treasure looter/puzzle solver. Its a fantastic game and the act of killing every living thing that moves and robbing ancient tombs of treasure via platforming is certainly the Tomb Raider model but it doesn't play like the rest of the family.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

These are surprisingly good offerings, but unfortunately once again I already have both of them. I have Sleepy Dogs on PC though, so no reason not to grab the 360 version. You should definitely get it if you've never played it before.

KennyMan666 posted:

Guardian of Light is not a Tomb Raider game in the traditional sense, but it is a very good game and you can play it co-op with someone else.

Orgophlax posted:

Guess I'll try asking here: Downloaded The Wolf Among Us on XBLA since it was free, and I'm hooked. Unfortunately it has terrible stuttering issues, especially near the end of the first episode. Failed almost every QT action in the final fight at the bar because of it. Is the PC version any better?

That's odd, I don't remember any stuttering with mine. Could it have anything to do with your model 360?

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Co-op is always fun, so I'd love to do that. Maybe ask my friend, though idk when his Gold expires. I *think* he has just enough to grab January's games.

But if there's anyone else who hasn't played it before who wants to co-op through it with me once it hits, my gamertag is as always the same as my username.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

If you need a month of gold, then proceed right this way: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3567255&pagenumber=2

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Does it work for non-US? I'll try to remember that link for my friend to try out once his Gold expires (mine runs until May or something).

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

homeless snail posted:

I'd say no, there's not really much of a tutorial but the first hour or so of the campaign at least tries to ease you into it. Its kind of a dense game that doesn't do a great job of explaining itself so every little bit helps. Its not like the DLC is on sale either, so no real rush.

The DLC randomizes the few things from the main game that were static and adds a new game+ kinda element with a rapidly escalating difficulty level. Honestly its what SoD should have been from the start.
Unfortunately the campaign/tutorial in State of Decay also makes it "easy-mode" in the sense that you start off with three characters (two of which have good combat skills which will be leveled up quite a ways after getting out of the Ranger Station area,) and a safehouse with a few more survivors, so even if you gently caress up and die you've got plenty of extra people to fall back to using. In the DLC, you start alone with a random survivor with no skills or gear, and dead RV next to you, and must accumulate enough resources and survivors to even have the option to move into a safehouse and begin building before you can even think about finding an RV to repair. The game is still pretty easy until the third or fourth "wave" on breakdown mode however at that point, it's pretty intense and you will begin to die for slight mistakes, even if you're a good player with a lot of experienced survivors.

Honestly they should put the DLC on sale as well, because the DLC is the version of the game which you want to play.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

raditts posted:

That's odd, I don't remember any stuttering with mine. Could it have anything to do with your model 360?

I had it pretty bad as well, on a slim.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

raditts posted:

I don't have any issues with any other games, and I vaguely remember Giant Bomb's Patrick Klepek complaining of the same thing on Twitter.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

After all the sales it has had you seriously have no excuse to get GoL when it's free next month (providing you have gold, natch).

Sleeping Dogs.... Ehhhh I guess I could try and mop up some achievements I couldn't be bothered with from when I owned it.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

And I too had a bit of stutter with The Wolf Among Us. Same kind I'd get on The Walking Dead. I guess it has an issue loading the next bits smoothly and quickly.

Houdini
Sep 13, 2007

Official terrible game purchaser of the SomethingAwful forums.
I sold Sleeping Dogs on eBay for £13 just before Christmas. :getin:

Did arkham origins get pathed to not corrupt saves? I'd be interested in the season pass but I'm still mad at losing about eight hours of progress.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Believe the hype about GoL being the perfect "girlfriend game." My fiancee and I are currently in the middle of a longterm playthrough; she's loving it and has zero interest in video games for the most part. She kind of has to re-learn the twinstick shooting each time we pick it up (always panics and starts dropping bombs at first "because it's easier," ha), but she gets right back into it and has a lot of fun fighting and climbing and solving puzzles together. :)

I'm with the crowd that already owns both of next month's games (well, Sleeping Dogs through PS+) but good on Microsoft for snagging quality stuff.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Kifisonfire posted:

For the record the last day of sales seems to be about season passes and the ACIV pass has $5 off at the moment.

I'm tempted to pick it up. AC3 put me off the series but the amazing feedback is pulling me back in. The thought of ship combat doesn't do much for me though.

The game has a fairly heavy focus on ship combat. Granted there's still a crap ton of murdering on land to be had but the ship stuff a big part of the game. That being said I had the same reservations as you but have been pleasantly surprised and how well polished the whole thing is.

Thanks for the heads up on the season pass sale. Went ahead and picked it up. Excited about the next Games with Gold offerings, I've wanted all those.

Editing because I suck at phone postin'

losonti tokash
Oct 29, 2007

I'm so pretty, oh so pretty.
I got Skyrim last month when Amazon had it for super cheap and it is such a weird game. So much about it (combat, quest design, story) is dumb as hell and/or awful but I keep playing it and having fun anyway.

Edit: if I get the Assassins AC4 season pass on 360 does it work for the One version? I don't think they've figured out how to sales on the X1 yet.

losonti tokash fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Dec 31, 2013

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

losonti tokash posted:

Edit: if I get the Assassins AC4 season pass on 360 does it work for the One version? I don't think they've figured out how to sales on the X1 yet.

No. They are completely separate. I'm sure the reason the One version isn't on sale isn't "they haven't figured out how," either.

Ronald Duck
Jun 26, 2005
My mum says I’m cool.

losonti tokash posted:

Yes. http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Assassins-Creed-IV-Season-Pass/4e2a9abc-2e47-4b5d-b949-ee562f8f0155 Scroll down

quote:

Owners of Assassin’s Creed®IV Black Flag™ Season Pass for Xbox 360 will also get Season Pass access on Xbox One, offer expires 5/31/2014

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Well, poo poo, guess I was wrong. To be fair, that's a special offer and not the norm.

losonti tokash
Oct 29, 2007

I'm so pretty, oh so pretty.

Thanks!

Kifisonfire
Jan 15, 2008

Lego games are the deal of the week. Batman 2, LOTR, Harry Potter 5-7 and Clone Wars are 40% off, Marvel is 33% off. Also today's deal seems to be a whopping 25% off Ghosts. Enjoy I guess?

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

I hate to sound like one of those entitled children in the comment section on Major Nelson's blog, but this was the worst year of the sale ever. Of course the final day would be COD, and not even the season pass in addition. The only thing I bought was Undead Nightmare and Brothers, which wasn't even part of the countdown sale.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

The Duke posted:

I hate to sound like one of those entitled children in the comment section on Major Nelson's blog, but this was the worst year of the sale ever. Of course the final day would be COD, and not even the season pass in addition. The only thing I bought was Undead Nightmare and Brothers, which wasn't even part of the countdown sale.

You really expected anything better? ;)

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

losonti tokash posted:

I got Skyrim last month when Amazon had it for super cheap and it is such a weird game. So much about it (combat, quest design, story) is dumb as hell and/or awful but I keep playing it and having fun anyway.

The measure of a good Elder Scrolls game is generally the exploration and world feel; combat is universally terrible, story is mediocre at best (though the lore is neat), quests are always hit or miss. Skyrim has a nice world to explore and I enjoyed playing it, though it still isn't even half the game Morrowind was.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

ZeeBoi posted:

You really expected anything better? ;)

Well I guess last year I only got Mark of the Ninja and Walking Dead season 1 but I thought the quality and diversity of the sale items was much higher. They even did the same Trials sale they did last year too.

Basically I'm just bitter they still haven't done a single sale for Minecraft.

goethe gear xx
Sep 17, 2004

faustoo
Hah, what a turd this final sale is! Might have to try one of those Lego games now though, is any one of them noticeably better than the others or should I just go with the license I like the most?

Clamknuckle
Sep 7, 2006

Groovy

goethe gear xx posted:

Hah, what a turd this final sale is! Might have to try one of those Lego games now though, is any one of them noticeably better than the others or should I just go with the license I like the most?

IMHO Marvel Lego is the best Lego game so far.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Man I really, really want to say thanks. I mindlessly paid for Xbox Live for 7 or 8 years, and realized this summer when mine ran out that I hadn't actually used it in ages. However, by letting it lapse I couldn't download any new fake fighters in my wrasslin' games, couldn't download stupid cartoon decals in my racing games, etc. etc. I've missed these things but they sure aren't worth $60 just to spend a few hours online once every six months. But this worked for me, I spent this afternoon downloading a bunch of ridiculous user-generated content, realized that GTAV online does in fact suck, and to top it off I'm getting a free copy of Sleeping Dogs tomorrow. Thanks so much for linking to that thread, I would have never found it otherwise.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Clamknuckle posted:

All the LEGO games get better with each new version, pretty much. If you are planning to buy any, look back to the oldest franchise you think you'd enjoy and work forward from there. The innovations in design make it harder to go back to older games, so working forwards through them is best. Though they pack a surprising amount of content and I don't think I'd ever have time to play and complete all of them. I've got LEGO Pirates and Batman 2 from a recent PSN sale, and by the time I finish those I'll get LOTR and Marvel for pennies.

They are pretty much challenge-free games, but I think I always need to have a LEGO game on the go. Always a nice chilled out hangover game for when you want to play but are too tired for anything serious.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

Hat Thoughts posted:

People have been saying "Rare makes lovely games now" forever now and it's never been true. Viva Pinata rules, Nuts and Bolts rules, even Kinect Sports is a lot of fun with friends.

Nuts & Bolts was 5 years ago and Viva Pinata was 7 years ago :colbert: The Rare of today simply isn't the Rare of old :-(

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

Geographica posted:

Xbox Wire has just posted January's Games with Gold: Sleeping Dogs and Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light.

Wow, thats a decent offering for once. Shame I've already got them both....

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Clamknuckle posted:

Truth. As for the others, I think Pirates, LOTR, Batman 2, Indiana Jones 1, and Star Wars: TCS are the next best, followed by the Harry Potters. All the others you can probably safely skip. If you have a choice you should probably get them on PC too, since the frame rates and loading times have gotten gradually worse on the 360 versions.

petewhitley posted:

Man I really, really want to say thanks. I mindlessly paid for Xbox Live for 7 or 8 years, and realized this summer when mine ran out that I hadn't actually used it in ages. However, by letting it lapse I couldn't download any new fake fighters in my wrasslin' games, couldn't download stupid cartoon decals in my racing games, etc. etc. I've missed these things but they sure aren't worth $60 just to spend a few hours online once every six months. But this worked for me, I spent this afternoon downloading a bunch of ridiculous user-generated content, realized that GTAV online does in fact suck, and to top it off I'm getting a free copy of Sleeping Dogs tomorrow. Thanks so much for linking to that thread, I would have never found it otherwise.

Glad I could help :)
I've been considering dropping Gold for good myself but every now and then I actually have a decent use for it / desire to play online and I can usually find a deal for $20-$30 at some point during the year. No way in hell would I ever pay full price for it, though.

raditts fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Dec 31, 2013

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Kifisonfire posted:

Also today's deal seems to be a whopping 25% off Ghosts. Enjoy I guess?

Piss. I was really hoping the Mass Effect 3 DLC was going to go on sale one of the days. Ah well, between my backlog and the stuff I picked up in the countdown I'll have more than enough to keep me busy for a good while.

What did everyone buy in the sales? I got Hitman: Absolution because I heard it was an ok game but a bad Hitman game, which is fine because I don't really have a ton of experience with the series. I also got Brothers, which I just played through last night and it was great. I downloaded the first episode of The Wolf Among Us when it was free and bought the season pass the next day, but I won't play it until all the episodes are out. I did that with The Walking Dead season one and I think that's the best way for me to play those games. It would suck to wait months in between episodes.

Seymour Butts
Jun 26, 2003
I break girls in like baseball gloves
Woops! I just picked up Sleeping Dogs a couple weeks ago for $15. I was looking for a fun beat'm up in a Hong Kong environment and I wasn't disappointed. It also has a touch of quirky humor that I wasn't really expecting that gave me flashbacks of Shenmue! The music and radio station choices are awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

MZ posted:

Nuts & Bolts was 5 years ago and Viva Pinata was 7 years ago :colbert: The Rare of today simply isn't the Rare of old :-(

I too long for the halcyon days of Hollywood Squares, Jeopardy! Junior Edition, and Who Framed Roger Rabbit.

• Locked thread