Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
take me to the beaver
Mar 28, 2010

GruntyThrst posted:

They sell for the same prices as normal crops, too. Pretty much only good for filling out your shipping list, befriending boss monsters and (I assume) crafting.

Pretty sure they sell for more? Plus, if you giantize a regrowing crop it stays giant...giant pineapples are a great way to make lots of $$$

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

GruntyThrst posted:

They sell for the same prices as normal crops, too. Pretty much only good for filling out your shipping list, befriending boss monsters and (I assume) crafting.

This definitely isn't true - you can make some really good money by combining giant regrowable crops with enough fertilizer to get them to 5x growing speed. You might technically eke out more money by leaving them smaller (I haven't run the numbers and I'm feeling a tad lazy), but given that each crop harvested reduces the hp of the tile, you're better off in the long run with large crops.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
A random NPC told me a tip about hammering a dungeon flower for material stone in exchange for destroying it. That was a neat thing to learn, but what got me most was the phrasing.

"If you overdo it, the flower will die. Because you hammered it to death. You're a terrible person."

:haw: XSEED did a good job on the localization.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Nondevor posted:

A random NPC told me a tip about hammering a dungeon flower for material stone in exchange for destroying it. That was a neat thing to learn, but what got me most was the phrasing.

"If you overdo it, the flower will die. Because you hammered it to death. You're a terrible person."

Wait, we can grow stone? That's awesome!

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

LLSix posted:

Wait, we can grow stone? That's awesome!

I actually have no clue what the hell that dialogue is referring to. I tried hammering the flowers that you cut in dungeons to get RP, but nothing happened, and I tried hammering various rare flowers (like Ironleaf) and nothing happened. I haven't tried hammering or growing a giant Ironleaf, maybe that's what they're talking about? It still probably wouldn't be worth it though - you're almost assuredly better off just buying stone and lumber directly. After all, the main point of twinkle trees isn't the lumber you harvest, but the glittia augite you get randomly.

Edit: vv That would make sense. I'd test it, but I don't have any dungeons fully grown at the moment.

Dirk the Average fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Dec 31, 2013

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?

Dirk the Average posted:

I actually have no clue what the hell that dialogue is referring to. I tried hammering the flowers that you cut in dungeons to get RP, but nothing happened, and I tried hammering various rare flowers (like Ironleaf) and nothing happened. I haven't tried hammering or growing a giant Ironleaf, maybe that's what they're talking about? It still probably wouldn't be worth it though - you're almost assuredly better off just buying stone and lumber directly. After all, the main point of twinkle trees isn't the lumber you harvest, but the glittia augite you get randomly.

I believe it's talking about the plants that Dungeon Seeds grow.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Yeah, just tested it out. That tip was talking about the field dungeon you grow. You can keep farming material stone off of it until its HP decreases to 0, but you can just use Withered Grass, Corn, or 4-Leaf Clovers to keep it alive.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Nondevor posted:

Yeah, just tested it out. That tip was talking about the field dungeon you grow. You can keep farming material stone off of it until its HP decreases to 0, but you can just use Withered Grass, Corn, or 4-Leaf Clovers to keep it alive.

That's... not especially useful, given how easy it is to get material stone. But still more useful than a field dungeon's intended use, so hey.

Squidtamer DA
Jun 3, 2007
Squirts ink when provoked
Alright, I'm on the second arc and need some boss help. Any tips on defeating Fiersome? I'm only doing piddly damage despite having a magic weapon and I'm around lv. 81 right now.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

Squidtamer DA posted:

Alright, I'm on the second arc and need some boss help. Any tips on defeating Fiersome? I'm only doing piddly damage despite having a magic weapon and I'm around lv. 81 right now.

Eat food before the fight, bring leveled monsters. If you are on hard, it artificially nukes your stats but your monsters won't be affected.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Jakse posted:

Eat food before the fight, bring leveled monsters. If you are on hard, it artificially nukes your stats but your monsters won't be affected.

Does this affect villager stats too? Forte is doing way less damage than my giant chicken.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Do the magic and rune ability shops ever sell anything other than the basic tier of spells? My spells aren't doing much in Rune Prana, and I keep forgetting to check those.

Speaking of faceless NPCs... (Xiao Pai town event spoilers) :aaa: her father exists?! And he has a name?! I was expecting the guy to not exist like Shino's husband in RF3.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

Nondevor posted:

Do the magic and rune ability shops ever sell anything other than the basic tier of spells? My spells aren't doing much in Rune Prana, and I keep forgetting to check those.

Speaking of faceless NPCs... (Xiao Pai town event spoilers) :aaa: her father exists?! And he has a name?! I was expecting the guy to not exist like Shino's husband in RF3.

Are you having Leon level up your spells when you can? What levels are your spells, and what are you fighting?

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Most of my spells are around level 2-4 with a few level 5s like Delta Laser and the giant darkness spell. I've upgraded a few of them, but I keep forgetting to go back.

The Mammoth boss is destroying me. My weapons aren't doing much damage, and I can't make better armor because I can't find the higher-end materials. I'm thinking of going into the Sharance Maze and hopefully finding some new equipment since I want to make progress in something at least.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Nondevor posted:

Most of my spells are around level 2-4 with a few level 5s like Delta Laser and the giant darkness spell. I've upgraded a few of them, but I keep forgetting to go back.

The Mammoth boss is destroying me. My weapons aren't doing much damage, and I can't make better armor because I can't find the higher-end materials. I'm thinking of going into the Sharance Maze and hopefully finding some new equipment since I want to make progress in something at least.

If your equipment isn't up to snuff and you want to go through the Maze, you've got a couple of options. The easy way is to tame a monster from there and wear the accessory that boosts its stats - it'll let you kill a lot of stuff and hopefully get you to a boss that you can tame. It's best if the monster is rideable so that you can avoid getting murdered.

The slightly harder but awesome way is to make a weapon with significant amounts of faint attack (instant death, some long swords have it), forge it with glittia augite + ten-fold steel (you can get the augite from a twinkle tree and the ten-fold steel from leon karnak), and toss on some upgrades to add on paralyze, poison, and sleep if you can swing it. You'll end up with a weapon that hits pretty much the entire screen and will disable any normal enemy that it hits. Most enemies in the Maze are vulnerable to faint attack, and you can use that weapon to go through the maze and get what you need. I made a pair of dual blades with 100% on every status effect except faint attack (10%) and they absolutely tear through enemies while boosting my resist skills through the roof.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
You really want to make the elemental resist accessories, if not just for the traps. It turns the elemental damage into extremely manageable as compared to "instant death"

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

Take a look! It's in a book!

Dragongem posted:

You really want to make the elemental resist accessories, if not just for the traps. It turns the elemental damage into extremely manageable as compared to "instant death"

This. In the Sharance Maze, they can be the difference between getting smote by the hurricane of god and getting healed by it (resistances can stack and go past 100%).

Fun fact: going to the blacksmith on a date can yield you one of the 100% elemental resist rings that you usually need Accesory Bread+ to learn to make.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Got Rune Factory 4 a while ago, and so far it's been pretty fun. Just beat the second arc, and it's not even halfway through the first fall yet. That said, I'm kind of hitting a plateau with boosting my crafting skills. My current equipment doesn't seem to be cutting it, and the few high-end recipes I can see require way more exotic materials than I can easily find. I got through the Floating Empire (and a significant chunk of the game) largely by sitting behind my pets and watching the fat tree and butterfly tear through everything. Also I've been kind of neglecting actual farming and now my fields are all choked up. Running around playing Pokemon with bosses never gets old, though.

E: Also, for regular Harvest Moon action, is A New Beginning worth picking up, or should I wait for the next one?

Inadequately fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jan 11, 2014

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Inadequately posted:

Got Rune Factory 4 a while ago, and so far it's been pretty fun. Just beat the second arc, and it's not even halfway through the first fall yet. That said, I'm kind of hitting a plateau with boosting my crafting skills. My current equipment doesn't seem to be cutting it, and the few high-end recipes I can see require way more exotic materials than I can easily find. I got through the Floating Empire (and a significant chunk of the game) largely by sitting behind my pets and watching the fat tree and butterfly tear through everything. Also I've been kind of neglecting actual farming and now my fields are all choked up. Running around playing Pokemon with bosses never gets old, though.

E: Also, for regular Harvest Moon action, is A New Beginning worth picking up, or should I wait for the next one?

You can try upgrading things to level your skills instead. No matter what material you use the skill bar increases by set increments. This gets pretty useful at the higher levels, so I just craft basic rings and upgrade them with extra fruit I have in the fridge or stacks of iron.

Easier answer to fixing your lacking equipment: go to Sharance Maze, tame a rideable monster, equip a field pendant, and go to town. It's not that hard to find some blue chests as long as you explore all of the entire floors.

I managed to find a Royal Vest (top tier of armor) and high-damage weapons through that, thanks to my extremely minature buffaloo. :3:

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Inadequately posted:

I'd personally get new beginning if you're interested in it. Since the next one isn't even out in Japan yet, it'll probably be a year or more before its released elsewhere. New Beginning has a really slow rear end start, but its pretty decent that aside.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Nondevor posted:

I really enjoy the Wooly's description, though it might be the same from a previous RF game or something.

quote:

It pleads you not to cut off its fur with big, watery eyes. You do it any way... because that's how you roll. You Monster.
:allears:

Speaking of Woolies, why are my woolies not producing higher tier wool? All of my woolies are sitting around lv40~ with 6FP still producing small wool.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

OneDeadman posted:

I really enjoy the Wooly's description, though it might be the same from a previous RF game or something.

:allears:

Speaking of Woolies, why are my woolies not producing higher tier wool? All of my woolies are sitting around lv40~ with 6FP still producing small wool.

That description was also in RF3. Also the monster production system works a little differently in this version; instead of FP raising both quality and tier, FP now only raises quality. The monster's level has to increase to change the wool from small to medium and large.

I don't know how many levels the monsters need to increase though. I'm guessing they might produce medium wool around 50?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Nondevor posted:

That description was also in RF3. Also the monster production system works a little differently in this version; instead of FP raising both quality and tier, FP now only raises quality. The monster's level has to increase to change the wool from small to medium and large.

I don't know how many levels the monsters need to increase though. I'm guessing they might produce medium wool around 50?

50ish is about right. Mine are 54 and are just starting to produce medium.

Can someone explain how assigning monsters to plant works? I just want them to always plant corn. Is that something I can do?

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Will crop-boosting nutrients like Giantizer or the one that speeds up growth end up hurting the soil quality over time? I haven't tried the one that speeds up growth yet, but after my potential crop of giant pineapples got taken out by an untimely typhoon I feel like I should start using it.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
It does lower the hp of the soil plot if I remember correctly, but its hardly difficult to fix that. I periodically plant corn on a 2x2 plot, harvest 3 of the plants and replow the last into the soil to "heal" it. The max health of a plot is 255, and one hit of corn will usually get you there unless you've really depleted the soil.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Inadequately posted:

Will crop-boosting nutrients like Giantizer or the one that speeds up growth end up hurting the soil quality over time? I haven't tried the one that speeds up growth yet, but after my potential crop of giant pineapples got taken out by an untimely typhoon I feel like I should start using it.

Sort of - each crop you harvest drops the HP of the tile, and the more you harvest, the faster the HP drops. That being said, it's totally worth it to speed up growth and you should do it. You can eventually get level 10 giant pink melons that grow daily and give out tons of cash. The only thing to keep in mind is that soil doesn't like getting too much fertilizer at once. The first fertilizer of the day doesn't degrade soil quality, but subsequent ones will.

Also, upgrade your farming tools with the magnifying glass, it's really useful.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

LLSix posted:

50ish is about right. Mine are 54 and are just starting to produce medium.

Can someone explain how assigning monsters to plant works? I just want them to always plant corn. Is that something I can do?

I tested it out in my game. When you assign monsters to plant seeds, they first clean up their portion of their field and then plant in the cultivated spots. You'd think they'd use seeds from your fridge or something, but they don't; instead, the monsters buy random seeds with your gold and plant them. So no, I don't think you can tell them to only plant corn. It's easier to just do the work yourself to be honest.

On an unrelated note, I ran into the funniest NPC while testing that. The NPC told me that using Y skipped conversations and started talking for 66 (!) separate lines. For those that don’t believe me, here’s a transcription:

the NPC posted:

Hello, hello, hellooo! Thank you so much for talking to me! See, I have some great news I’m just dying to tell you! Get this… By pushing Y, you can skip through conversations! … …Did that shock you? I know it did. It had to! I mean, it totally shocked me! Just the other day, I used this skill on a conversation I was having with my friend. Then all of a sudden, he got super mad at me! I was like, what’s the big deal? I mean, you always go on and on and on and on when you talk. Told him that right to his face. And you know what he said? He said I’M the long-winded one! Can you believe that? Honestly! Wasn’t that terrible of him? Unbelievable, right? What an off-base thing to say! Besides, he’s the one always on my case about one thing or another. It’s always “listen to other people more,” and “think of your friends more.” Ugh!

Oh! But he’s actually a great guy. He’s strong, thoughtful, kind… And he’s a great cook. Liker really great! He can cook anything! And he always listens to me. I mean, he's the only one who ever listens to me all the way to the end. Oh, and now you. Wait... come to think of it... The lady who runs the inn smiled and listened to everything I had to say, too. That means, she thinks I'm wildly interesting and likes hearing me talk, right? RIGHT? But then again, while I talked to her, I felt this odd sense of impending death from somewhere... Oh, I get it! She is a pretty little number after all, plus we were really hitting it off. So everyone else who wants to get close to her was probably jealous as all get-out. It's so petty! It's not my fault I'm so awesome I drip awesome out of my nose! ... Wait, are you even listening to me? This is the part where you're supposed to say something snappy. A cool one-liner, y'know? I mean, I'm not seriously that all about myself. Not that much, anyway. C'mon, say something. If you don't, it makes me look like I totally love talking about myself. That's embarrassing! (I skipped using Y here :v: Took a solid 5 seconds to get through the rest.)

My friend would always jump in at just the right moment and say something to snap me out of it. Isn't that great? It's like we were telepathic or something. But he's got a higher attack than I do. It kinda hurt. Sometimes, he needs reminding what the phrase "holding back" means. Or maybe it's... y'know. He's trying to tell me something. Maybe he's telling me I need to work on my defense. Or get better armor. I mean, it'd be too dangerous to travel with gear that's too light to protect me. Man, it feels great to have a friend who can read you! I mean, one time we were out and he had Silent Ring equipped. It was for when I got in trouble. He'd be able to heal me right away with Cure All. That had to be it! I mean, getting sealed while in a dangerous spot could cost you your life! Right?

Speaking of Cure All... It's great that you can heal your allies, but it sure does a number on your RP! But y'know what? Raising your Love Skill really cuts back on RP costs. The world could use more love for sure. Whatever, love is dumb. Anyway, there are loads of other useful spells, too. Ones without love! Having a handful of them on you when you're out and about can be real handy. After all, spells and abilities have their own special slot in your bag. So you should take as many as you can! I mean, you can still use them if you don't have a staff equipped. Oh and just between you and me... You can even use them when you can't have weapons equipped. Um... wait, what was I talking about again? Oh yeah, about my friend. But the point I'm getting at... Is that sometimes people go on and on and on and won't shut up. Soooooo annoying. There's nothing wrong with pressing Y to skip forward to the end.

:catstare: Ironically enough, the latter half of the conversation gives some nice tips about magic.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Man, the soldier who told me that just had one line about not liking long conversations or something. The tip about Cureall is useful, but it seems to drop off in use after a bit. I can use it to keep my own health up, but the Dead Tree has a ton of health but not much actual defense, and Cureall is pretty much a drop in the bucket. I have to bring several dishes along to keep his health up. Tried leveling Cureall up a bit, but it didn't help that much.

By the way, are there any good reasons for bringing other villagers along? Since the start of the game I've been running around with the butterfly boss and Dead Tree. The butterfly sonic attack is pretty good and restores its health, and the tree is a pretty good tank with the apple attack but the fire weakness really hurts it. I've also got the puppet and thunderhorse but they don't seem to be as good. Anything else probably requires me to grind my cooking and farming skills quite a bit more.

Sorry if this has been covered a while back, this seems to be a pretty old thread and most people appear to be done with this game or much further along.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
As villagers gain higher FP, their AI improves and they use special moves more often. For example, Margaret summons a rainbow or something and heals you. Another benefit is that you can give them nice equipment. Sometimes they talk during cutscenes.

By the way, if Cure All isn't doing much for you, get Master Cure in Sechs Territory (steps found here). It heals an absurd amount of HP at a higher RP cost. There are a surprising number of good spells hidden away.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Is there a point where equipment ever outpaca es natural monster growth? Because as it is right now the best stuff I can make barely cuts it. I got through Floating Empire by hiding behind my pets and using a firesword from Leon Karnak I'm not sure I was supposed to have yet. Even with the best armour I was still taking pretty hefty amounts of damage whenever I tried to get into direct combat.

E: Some other general questions I had:

-How exactly does the fertilizer bin on the farm work? Does it apply to every field? If you buy one for the season-specific fields, will it apply to those?

-Does the fodder bin apply to all the monster barns? I assume so, but it'd be useful to know.

-Will the speeding-up nutrients stack? Can you keep boosting a plot and get a bunch of trees in double-quick time?

-Are the giantized but non-merged crops effectively the same as normal ones?

And one observation that I've noticed about pets is that if you bring any of them along, the rest gain passive levels. Which as mentioned earlier, boosts their produce. So the Cluckadoodle I caught and promptly ignored since the start of the game is making GBS threads out massive eggs half its size, while the giant Mamadoodle I just caught is giving me tiny eggs. I usually use them for food though so it's all the same to me.

Also Omelet Rice is a level 60 recipe, what the hell. I'm not much of a cook in real life but I don't think even I could screw up omelet rice.

Inadequately fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Jan 12, 2014

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

The finest of all dances.

Inadequately posted:

Is there a point where equipment ever outpaca es natural monster growth? Because as it is right now the best stuff I can make barely cuts it. I got through Floating Empire by hiding behind my pets and using a firesword from Leon Karnak I'm not sure I was supposed to have yet. Even with the best armour I was still taking pretty hefty amounts of damage whenever I tried to get into direct combat.

E: Some other general questions I had:

-How exactly does the fertilizer bin on the farm work? Does it apply to every field? If you buy one for the season-specific fields, will it apply to those?

-Does the fodder bin apply to all the monster barns? I assume so, but it'd be useful to know.

-Will the speeding-up nutrients stack? Can you keep boosting a plot and get a bunch of trees in double-quick time?

-Are the giantized but non-merged crops effectively the same as normal ones?

And one observation that I've noticed about pets is that if you bring any of them along, the rest gain passive levels. Which as mentioned earlier, boosts their produce. So the Cluckadoodle I caught and promptly ignored since the start of the game is making GBS threads out massive eggs half its size, while the giant Mamadoodle I just caught is giving me tiny eggs. I usually use them for food though so it's all the same to me.

Also Omelet Rice is a level 60 recipe, what the hell. I'm not much of a cook in real life but I don't think even I could screw up omelet rice.

1) Level grind your crafting to get you equipment higher. Upgrade junk items with other junk.

2) Fodder bin is for all barns. I have one on every screen for convenience.

3) The fertilizer bin works in mysterious ways. (I don't know.)

4) I think they do, but also deplete soil health.

5) Far as I can tell, large and regular crops are the same, and only giantized crops are special.

6) Rice is deceptively hard to make right without a cooker. Maybe that's why it's so high level?

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006

Inadequately posted:

You can, and it usually only hurts your crop/soil health if you splash more than one dose of any nutrient on a 2x2 plot in a single day. This includes the Formulas, Giantizer/Minimizer, Greenifier (and Greenifier+), and also somewhat counter-intuitively includes No Rot Alpha/Beta and Wettable Powder. Soil can only handles so many chemicals at once, after all, but if you have enough withered grass or corn to till back into the field to heal it up, go nuts. Alternatively, just put on a dose a day and see the effects.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Do you get crafting XP per item, or only per "session"? E.G. if I craft 10 axes in one batch do I get the same amount of XP as if I crafted 10 axes one at a time?

Edit: In RF4.

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

Take a look! It's in a book!
You get all of the XP.

And for the guy with the boss pets: just craft Mystery (?) Potions, Level 10 versions heal 100% of your health. I stuck my butterfly boss pet with the ability to inflict every single status effect under the sun since she has so many multi-hit attacks.

Edit: For crops, note that there's a cap of x5 for growth speed and x2 for crop quality when applying chemicals.

Additionally, crops with multiple harvests and trees lose hp with each harvest/chop, so stock some withered grass if you want, say, an endless source of Glitter Augar from that shining tree.

Reallycoolname fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jan 13, 2014

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006

GruntyThrst posted:

Do you get crafting XP per item, or only per "session"? E.G. if I craft 10 axes in one batch do I get the same amount of XP as if I crafted 10 axes one at a time?

Edit: In RF4.

Crafting XP is based on how much RP you consume for the craft, I think. More RP spent = more XP - crafting more items at once makes you spend more RP, so you get the full XP... though I don't know if it goes up as much if you're creating items significantly below your skill level. And, of course, you can spend above your current RP (even if your gauge is empty!) as long as your HP is -above- 25% and your maximum RP is higher than the crafting cost.

ZZT the Fifth fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jan 13, 2014

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
How do you boost your pets stats/effects? I know you can affect that by feeding them stuff but I'm not sure how. Is there anyway to directly view them, or is it just a guessing game? The tree boss would be way more effective if I could give him some fire resistance.

Also can you keep eating max RP boosting items to boost your RP crazy high? I've got the recipe for the top class hoe from Leon Karnak that only requires one platinum, but it costs ten times the amount of RP I have.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!
I found out you can tame bosses in RF4. You can only tame them with specific, very rare/expensive items like giant crops or shop items that cost an arm and a leg.

So I tamed the tree boss with a Greenifier+, after numerous resets. I'd brush him a bunch of times to boost my chances but it still took a while. I was questioning whether it was all worth it after I checked his stats (they're pretty abysmal). But then I found out you can ride him and I laughed for a solid 5 minutes watching this giant tree bulldoze through the town.

This game is awesome.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Apparently hitting monsters with Love magic makes it easier to befriend them (or so said an NPC), so try hitting them with a Friendly Rod or something along with brushing. Even then it still took me about 40 rockfish stews to tame the level 400 Bane Dragon in Sharance Maze. :saddowns: Its moveset and wind absorption is great though. Totally worth it to ride a giant lizard around town crowding half the screen.

The mechanics in RF4 are surprisingly deep for a game about farming. There are all these undocumented effects about items (like Rare Can drop rate or upgrading your rod using fish), and it's driving me nuts.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Is there a minimum level required to tame monsters? Because I cannot tame a single thing in the Sharance Maze. Found a completely tame Buffamoo, brushed it as far as it could go, threw half the items in my inventory at it, it still wouldn't work. The heart completely filled out once or twice, but after a pause a skull showed up.

I got a Runeblade in one of my early runs, though, so I'm not completely incapable as far as attacking goes. Haven't gotten anything close to that level since. Some armour would be nice.

I suppose since I can actually take on monsters in the Sharance Maze now I could just bring my own pets along and slowly grind them up, but that feels like such a drag.

E: Got a Magical Shield, I guess that's an improvement. First defensive item I've seen so far.

Inadequately fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jan 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Inadequately posted:

Is there a minimum level required to tame monsters? Because I cannot tame a single thing in the Sharance Maze. Found a completely tame Buffamoo, brushed it as far as it could go, threw half the items in my inventory at it, it still wouldn't work. The heart completely filled out once or twice, but after a pause

Buffamoos are giant greedy jerks in general. I have an easier time taming hornets and fighting pets than Buffamoos. I don't if it helps at all, but I've started leaving and coming back in to reset the Buffamoo if it isn't tamed after throwing a full stack at it.

• Locked thread